User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 03:56 PM   #1
davidtn OP
Nom nom nom

Oddometer: 50
Bear Spray when border crossing

I am headed to Alaska in a couple of weeks and am wondering if it is OK to carry bear spray across the US/Canadian border?

Thanks!

davidtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:00 PM   #2
alphajory
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 586
as long as you don't use it on the border guards you should be ok
Old 06-10-2010, 04:32 PM   #3
GP640
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,252
You should be OK as long as it's the big can and not pocket size.

Pocket size is a "prohibited weapon" here.
GP640 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 04:40 PM   #4
Twistn'roads
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 383
I crossed the Canada/US border numerous times last year on my northern trip carrying bear spray. I always claimed it when asked and never had to show it. It is in a largish can and clearly says "bear repellent" on the label.

~TR~
Twistn'roads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:10 PM   #5
HighScore
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 914
Oh Jesus Christ!
There is absoloutely NO NEED for bear spray PERIOD when coming to Canada on a motorcycle.
When was the last time you read about a Canadian motorcyclist being mauled by a goddamn bear?

If you feel the need to carry bear spray while riding within Canada, perhaps you should stay at home.

I've had SEVERAL bear encounters riding motorcycles throughout bear country here on the west coast of Canada and believe me, they're more scared of a noisy motorcycle than you would be of them.

In addition, using bear spray on a human in Canada is illegal.
The mounties will throw you in jail only to share your cell with a "different kind of bear".

g
Old 06-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #6
Steve G.
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,536
Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScore
Oh Jesus Christ!
There is absoloutely NO NEED for bear spray PERIOD when coming to Canada on a motorcycle.
When was the last time you read about a Canadian motorcyclist being mauled by a goddamn bear?

If you feel the need to carry bear spray while riding within Canada, perhaps you should stay at home.

I've had SEVERAL bear encounters riding motorcycles throughout bear country here on the west coast of Canada and believe me, they're more scared of a noisy motorcycle than you would be of them.

The mounties will throw you in jail only to share your cell with a "different kind of bear".

g
I'm thinking you should lay off the coffee or Redbull!!

Steve
Steve G. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:49 PM   #7
HighScore
No More, all done.

Oddometer: 914
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve G.
I'm thinking you should lay off the coffee or Redbull!!

Steve
C'mon Steve
You like bears don't you?
Old 06-10-2010, 10:07 PM   #8
MR X
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by HighScore
Oh Jesus Christ!

g

MR X is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:13 PM   #9
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
I'd leave the bear spray at home. If you are camping and really feel the need for it, buy it once you cross the CDN border. And like the others say, get the biggest one you can and make sure you tell the border patrol as small ones are considered a prohibited weapon. (I know mace is a different thing, but be aware you can't import or carry mace at all.)
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 10:22 PM   #10
Commuter Boy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,704
Absolutely situational. Bear spray is ok for camping, not ok for use anywhere else. Like most of our laws, it's not black and white and subject to interpretation.

Bear spray in your camping gear, not easily accessible while you're riding? Probably ok.

Bear spray in a belt holster as you drive up to Canada Customs or at a traffic stop? Probably going to get you some rubber glove treatment.

Regardless, Customs or law enforcement can hassle you about it if you profile in any way, or if they're just being pricks, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Commuter Boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:36 AM   #11
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
I thought it was only illegal if it was labelled anything other than "Bear Spray". It's the label, not the size, AFAIK.

But yeah, the border guards can pretty much do whatever they want anyway. The Canadian guards typically only care about making sure you pay your taxes. The the US guards who are on the lookout for Roast Beef Sandwhiches of Mass Destruction.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:24 AM   #12
MTRhead
HOLYSHIFT!!!

Oddometer: 1,076
Better to be safe then sorry.
We have a cottage 2 hrs north of TO, 20min to the nearest town. Some of us ADV guys were up riding for the wknd, one guy woke up early sat morn, went for a ride and came across a bear on the road. Apparently, it didn't run away, but casually walked off into the forest. That would tell me they are not afraid of too much if they are hungry.
See below.

In sept 08, a man on a motorcycle was sent flyin of his bike as the bear pounced on him.
http://www.thestar.com/news/gta/article/813747

Here in Ontarioio, in the last month, we have had 3 attacks or attempted attacks, an hour and a half north of Toronto. One guy was on his ATV at the time, another woman on a bicycle, and another man mauled while planting.
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/...rth-of-orillia

The mauled victim
http://www.thestar.com/news/ontario/...of-bear-attack

The video
http://www.thestar.com/videozone/813...of-bear-attack

Enjoy the trip

"I just realized i never crash.....so i'm gonna stop wearing a helmet"..................

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed
by the things you didn't do then by the ones you did do.
MT
MTRhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:51 AM   #13
RumRunner
Sit there, turn that

Oddometer: 4,297
Ian, that's a pretty chilling story and way to close to home. At our camp last week-end I saw more bear tracks than I have ever seen and was on high alert all the time even though I knew my small caliber rifle would do little to discourage a beer. One thing my father taught me was that being in a group of 2 or more individuals will often make the bear turn and run away. What you worry about is an older bear who has lost the ability to hunt well, that bear is often desperate for an easy meal/prey.

To the OP, as others have mentioned, be careful at the border crossing, declare the bear spray. Also, practice good camping skills, do not keep your food near your tent, do not open that can of tuna and pour out the water/oil near your tent, do your cooking at least 100 feet or more from your tent, do not take a midnight piss near your tent. It's food that a bear wants. don't make yourself the meal.

DW

I became friends with someone just because they rode motorcycles from no-place to no-where.

Canada eh...http://i93.photobucket.com/albums/l7...nadabikini.gif
RumRunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:22 AM   #14
Hockeygod
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 719
Talking RBSoMD

"Roast Beef Sandwhiches of Mass Destruction"

Quite possibly the funniest line I have read in some time... it's a classic!

(What makes it even funnier, is the context - because it's true! The US Border Guards are ever vigilant to confiscate RBSoMD!)
Various mountain and road bikes

No his mind is not for rent
To any god or government
Always hopeful, yet discontent
He knows changes aren't permanent
But change is...
Hockeygod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 10:34 AM   #15
R_Lefebvre
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 294
Oh yeah, I used to cross the border daily for 5 years, and had several lunches confiscated. My favorite though was:

"What's in your lunch bag?"
"Pizza"
"Does it have pepperoni?"
"Yeah"
"I can't let you in with that. Pull off the pepperoni and eat it right now, and I'll let you keep the rest."

No kidding!

To the OP, if it's bear spray, I think you'll be fine. Declare it, and even if they have a problem with it, you should be fine.

I bought a Morning Star as a souvenir in Austria a few years back, not knowing it was a Prohibitted Weapon." I declared it just in case, and it was lucky I did. They confiscated it, but no charges or anything. That's the point of declaring it. You're fessing up before you have a problem, and I don't think you could be charged. If you don't declare it, and they find out, then you have a problem.

My favorite Canadian crossing went something like this (I used to be an automotive engineer, and was ferrying parts from one facility to another, overnight, so I had to cross back into Canada.)

"Sir, what is this box of parts?"
"They're test parts."
"These are PROTOTYPE parts?"
"Well yeah."
"Why didn't you declare these?"
"Because they're worthless, and I'm taking them back across tomorrow morning anyway."
"Sir, prototype parts are probably VERY expensive, and you have to pay tax on them even if you are going to bring them back tomorrow. How much are these worth?"
"Well, they FAILED testing, so you tell me!"

As for those ridiculing the guy for carrying bear spray... do you guys actually get out of the city much?

A guy on another forum I know was attacked by a cougar while he was using a CHAINSAW. He saw it stalking him, revved the engine, but it attacked anyway. He raised the saw and got it in the shoulder, luckily he didn't get the chain pushed back onto himself. The animals are becoming unafraid of anything.
R_Lefebvre is offline   Reply With Quote