Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-10-2010, 05:28 PM   #1
geno2w1 OP
Vagabond dreams

Oddometer: 48
It's raining, it's pouring, my GS was snoring!

How does yours do in heavy rain?

I left work shortly after midnight and it was raining here in the Eifel (western Germany) so I took the smart path home on the Autobahn. About 3 minutes into my ride the sky opened up and all hell broke loose. Mother nature let go with HEAVY rain and a bit of hail. Since I respect the elements I rode straight and true at about 50Mph till it came time to exit the Autobahn(about 10 mins). I used the engine to slow down to a speed that I knew wouldn't cause excessive engine breaking upon downshifting to 3rd(approx 40Mph). Clutch...downshift..."SHIT! back tire is skidding"...clutch...."hard right coming up, start the engine"...start button...no lights(FU(|<)...downshift....exhaust note!

She would stumble and start to die on the last leg of my trip home if I didn't play a delicate clutch/throttle game. Even at sub 30Mph speeds the rain seemed too much. I'm sure I just pushed her a bit too hard on the Autobahn.

How does yours do in real rain? Thankfully my cage is broke down so I can run this test every day till I find a solution.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:44 PM   #2
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 728
Sounds like water was getting sucked up into the tank overflow/breather/whatever tube. Something similar would happen on my KLR650, it was fixed by adding a T-connector and extra air tube running along a frame rail. Sounds like you might need this modification.

I should add: I'm assuming German-spec'd F800s don't have the charcoal canister that our US-spec bikes do. That T-mod thingy was a recall here that the dealers are handling.
Old 06-10-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
geno2w1 OP
Vagabond dreams

It's a US spec F8. Built 3 weeks ago. I'm in the growing pains of switching from my Harley with a stage 2 air cleaner that I couldn't choke out with a super soaker (I tried!). I don't have a tech manual for my F8 yet so I can't run down solutions to a problem that might not even exist. I will have only my bike for the next week or so(grocery shopping will be fun!) so I will keep testing and pressing on.
Old 06-10-2010, 06:37 PM   #4
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
Take it to the dealer, there is a fix that takes all of 30-40 minutes to do regarding the charcoal canister. Mine also ran like yours during heavy downpours. I just got the fix and have not rode in heavy rain yet. But my guess is it is fixed. Otherwise some have removed the canister altogether (maybe a sticky thread here at the top or search for it), which fixes the problem but may not leave you bike up to specs for inspection depending on your local laws.
Old 06-10-2010, 08:51 PM   #5
Downer
Downer

Oddometer: 192
That Storm woke me up

That Storm woke me up and was flooding the house through the open windows. My first reaction was I was glad I wasn't on the bike in it. I haven't seen more then 34 rains like that in my life. Glad you got home safe.

I had the recall on my early 2009 model done a couple of weeks ago. Dexheimer was still trying to get the procedures until then. Hopefully that is all your bike needs. If your bike is only 3 weeks old I would think the cannister issue had been resolved in production.

Good Luck.
Downer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2010, 09:13 PM   #6
blender
Just another rider

Oddometer: 728
Quote:
Originally Posted by geno2w1
It's a US spec F8. Built 3 weeks ago
Yep. Dealer recall then. My '09 F800GS was done two weeks ago. Given your build date they should have taken care of that on the assembly line.

I'll add: I expect to be riding thru rain this weekend, any stumble is an excuse to rip out the canister. Then again, I might just rip it anyhow. ;)
Old 06-11-2010, 04:39 AM   #7
RAD800
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 895
mine does great, rode throgh over 100ml in 7 hours, flash flooding heavy heavy downpors on off light rain with no problems. Its the chracoal canister? mine never came with one.

RAD800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 05:00 AM   #8
GeckoRider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 443
US versions come with it, I'd guess AUS does not.
Old 06-11-2010, 05:03 AM   #9
raider
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeckoRider
US versions come with it, I'd guess AUS does not.
Nope, just a cat for us.
Old 06-11-2010, 06:29 PM   #10
geno2w1 OP
Vagabond dreams

I'll be ripping into my cage tomorrow to troubleshoot a misfire. As soon as that's done I guess I need to explore this charcoal canister issue. Maybe a phone call to Dexheimer is in order.
Old 06-11-2010, 08:19 PM   #11
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,889
I'd like to rip out my canister, but am not a fan of just corking up the rubber vac line going into the intake. Would rather do something more permanent so I'm not chasing an intake leak from a rubber hose later on down the road.

On my Duc, I put a couple of hex-head bolts in and took care of it that way.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:00 PM   #12
geno2w1 OP
Vagabond dreams

My cage is fixed but I didn't have time to explore the GS today. Can anyone provide specifics on this Charcoal cannister? I understnd the basics but I think a lot of folks would like specifics. If it rains in the Eifel tomorrow I'm going to attempt to duplicate the problem in order to understand it better, and then I'll dream up a solution if need be.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:42 AM   #13
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,230
In the US there is a recall on the charcoal cannister, which basically involves re-routing one of the hoses away from the rear wheel's water spray.

There's a thread on it here in this forum. Personally, I'd get rid of the cannister all together. My bike doesn't have it and it runs perfectly in the rain.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:06 AM   #14
DolphinJohn
Really, Really Cool

Oddometer: 3,689
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
In the US there is a recall on the charcoal cannister, which basically involves re-routing one of the hoses away from the rear wheel's water spray.

There's a thread on it here in this forum. Personally, I'd get rid of the cannister all together. My bike doesn't have it and it runs perfectly in the rain.

+1, me too, I'm with GB......

With canister = stalling in the rain, rough idle at cold start.

Canister removed = perfect.

My Ride Reports
DolphinJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:18 PM   #15
upweekis
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,323
had the recall done, and after rode 9 hours in a pisser. No problems (except my fucking "waterproof gloves" weren't)