Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 07:39 PM   #16
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709

The next day I spent exploring the Ozark National Forest. I love this forest because there is all type of terrain and lots of cool roads. Here is a sign on the highway leading into the forest.

Then we get on some National Forest Roads…

Does anyone know where these roads go? Most of them are not on the map and almost all of them are closed with these gates. I’m assuming these are fire roads but some of them look really fun!!

Those fire roads appear as tiny trails off the sides of the main roads. I wiz by seemingly hundreds of these small trails and inspect a few. This one leads me to a gate and a nice camp site. I log the camp site on my GPS, intending to use this remote site later. I think during the trip I logged about 10 potential camp sites that were semi cleared with fire rings etc. No facilities of course!

Riding up the awesome mountain roads, I take a look back. I feel these ridge roads are helping me prepare for some serious riding when I get to Utah and Colorado!

I come across a small trail leading off the main road. It’s not on the maps but it is noticeable more traveled and right on top of the mountain! I am sure I have seen this in previous ride reports and I take a picture at the bottom before powering up the rocky trail.

At the top I am sure I have seen this in other ride reports. This look-out point is famous and hell of a lot of fun to get to!! There are a couple fire pits and a couple small slabs of concrete (who knows what they were originally?… This is a place I would camp if the conditions were right, definitely could get windy up here!

This is where I am on Google earth (camp 4+). Sorry the image is so poor, I expected better from Google!

So I also uploaded a picture from my MapSource… This should get you there easily if you search for these roads in the picture.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:03 PM   #17
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
If you are talking about these kind of concrete pillars... That used to be a fire tower, where the forest rangers would spend time looking for forest fires years ago.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 08:39 PM   #18
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Neato, it sure felt like a perfect fire tower spot. Now it's just a picnic spot and potential extreme camp site!
Old 06-11-2010, 08:48 PM   #19
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Continuing on my way, there are some roads out here the let you forget every burden and allow you to go with the flow. This was one of those roads…

I was headed (of course) to the famous Oark Café! The legendary hamburgers and pies had not escaped my research on a previous trip and after sampling the delicacies last year I was destined to visit this holy spot.

A fancy shot on the way:

A quiet babbling brook… Until I rev up the finely tuned 798cc German engine and speed away in a shower of gravel and dust!!

The road on my path to Oark is smooth and fast (with the occasional giant pothole I fly over!!) all the better because I am beginning to get dehydrated drooling over the thought of the ½ pound burger with bacon and cheese…

I do take the time to think of all the people who might read this and appreciate another picture of a nice river.

Old 06-11-2010, 08:58 PM   #20
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

I made it! I envisioned hordes of motorcyclists at this location during this weekend but none in site? The locals hanging on the porch barely give me a glance. A stranger on a fancy BMW covered in dust is a familiar sight, almost like they expected me…

I park around back and find some cute puppies playing behind the store.

More proof that I was there! (Also another good look at my setup)

This however is where it’s at. Note the “beef pro” sign and the pies!

The best burger I’ve had in a long time!

I asked the young waitress which pie she recommended. After taking me through a wonderful tour of all their pies (they had a few back-up pies for the real popular ones) she was enthusiastic about the peanut-butter pie. Having never tried one of these I dove in head first (no helmet needed!).

After re-fueling (low octane fuel but the only source if you are in the middle of the forest) I head out on the trail again!

Old 06-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #21
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Back on the road, I continue into uncharted territory. I had received several maps and guidance from native Arkansas adventure riders (thanks guys!) and I had a lot of fun riding those roads in the past year. This time I decided to take fate in my own hands and follow some interesting roads that spider-webbed across the Ozark National Forest.

CO 5211 (FS 1005) starts out nice and fun.

You can tell it’s been raining, this puddle is not that bad. I take a second to judge my line and decide to take the long and strait groove on the left-center of the picture.

Things get more hairy as I continue. It becomes readily apparent that this is not solo noob on giant F800GS territory. If my friend Chris would have been with me I’m sure we would have charged ahead and helped each other over the obstacles. I stopped in the road in an in-opportune place and explored ahead on foot. The further I got the more rugged the terrain. I think you would need a modified truck or a lighter bike to get through this road. I had to turn around…

This is where I am when I have to turn around (3D) Looks like I was about to crest over the hill but when I was in the think of the forest I had no idea of what was ahead.

This is the same shot in the 2D view from my GPS. Oark is in the bottom right of the picture. You can try your luck at this road yourself. If you can make it on a large adventure bike please let me know how you did it and I wish to try again next time!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #22
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,316
It looks like you found those exciting and beautiful roads! Just what the GS was meant for

Old 06-12-2010, 05:19 PM   #23
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gadget Boy
It looks like you found those exciting and beautiful roads! Just what the GS was meant for

Thanks GB! Yes, I believe the GS was truly meant for exploring and surviving. Being a solo rider most of the time this bike has given me the confidence to go to far and new adventures!

Old 06-12-2010, 05:20 PM   #24
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

On the detour route I find a cool old barn that is about to give up it’s structural integrity.

While deciding which way my GPS is guiding me I run into a logging camp. The road leading to this was much more traveled than the actual road I was trying to follow so I doubled back to quickly regain my intended tracks.

I stopped rather quickly to take a drink and check out the clouds. I didn’t notice this guy until I was about to take off again. I think he was hoping I wouldn’t see him and he was frozen in place on the side of the road. I probably noticed no less than 5 of these box turtles throughout the trip crossing the dirt roads.

I proceed down an absolutely beautiful road that has not been maintained and really feels like an adventure. With the rain quickly approaching and scattered showers there were small rivers running through this road and it was apparent the soil was washing away. I think this road will be gone soon and it is a great adventure for any rider! Please go see this if you are in the area. Unfortunately I don’t have pictures of the road because I was concentrating on getting through before the rain hit (it seemed unsafe to be caught on this road during a rain). This is a GPS location of the middle of the road (CR-65)

At the base of the road I was rewarded with a beautiful creek crossing. This was not difficult but it was a genuine shallow rocky creek! I don’t get to do this very often so it was a fun memory.

I got out to the main road and it began to rain hard…

Some of the back-roads quickly developed slick areas.

A concrete creek crossing that was not slick and still fun on this road.

Down at the bottom of CR-311 things got hairy. I was sure I had seen this road in previous ride reports and the same puddles were forming. This time it was actively raining and I knew I was in for a ride!

While the above puddle was no big deal… this stopped me in my tracks. You can’t see the ledge in the picture but there is about a 1-2 foot sharp drop before you encounter the puddles that my bike would have high-centered on. When I am solo I don’t like to pass over obstacles I might not be able to come back over so I have to turn around for the second time of the trip… (CR-311)

On the way out I stop to take a picture at an awesome rock formation that I had missed coming down.

Old 06-12-2010, 06:11 PM   #25
pmooney
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 239
Tag :)

pmooney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:57 PM   #26
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

So after getting out of Cr-311 I felt the full force of the rainstorm that was traveling across AR. I take a quick picture with my waterproof camera (the same one all these pics come from) and a couple huge Goldwings with trailers pass by at the same time. Of course all the Harley riders were huddled under any available shelter as the Goldwing riders and I pass through towns.

I talk to a native at a remote gas station and he reassures me the path I want to take is good. I am very glad that I don’t give up in the rain and I keep going on the planned route.

I don’t think you can avoid the amazing creeks in this region, they are sublime.

This view catches me by surprise so I take a picture. Survivorman on the Discovery channel says you shouldn’t follow these high power lines because they can traverse dangerous terrain. In this instance it looks like there has been some clearing made for them.

These are my stats for the second day!

I take another picture of my tires… They are wearing quickly and I want to compare these to the Heidenau K60s I will install later.

You can see the noticeable wear over the day, even on dirt surfaces…

Rear after day 2:

Front after day 2:

Old 06-12-2010, 07:00 PM   #27
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by pmooney
Tag :)

Definitely the same spot!! It looks different when you were there, much dryer!
Old 06-12-2010, 08:12 PM   #28
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
Dude!

Ender ~ Dude,
You're in my old stomping grounds man! I grew up in Clarksville AR (graduated in 87, joined the military, still living abroad). My entire family still lives there and I think you may have driven past my Brothers house during your trip. He lives on Highway 21 in a town called Ozone. Did you pass through there? Anyway, the trails you travelled down were my "Backwoods drinkin', smokin', parkin' / makin' out, and general overall havin' a good time" roads. It was good to see that they're still muddy as hell!!!!!! Oh yeah, watch out for what lies behind those fenced-off trails. Most of them are owned by good ole boys with big damn shotguns. Not real sure but I think I may have even been neighbors with a few of the original cast of Deliverance...........

Just Sayin..................

dirtbound4Max screwed with this post 06-13-2010 at 07:57 AM
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 09:15 AM   #29
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbound4Max
Ender ~ Dude,
You're in my old stomping grounds man! I grew up in Clarksville AR (graduated in 87, joined the military, still living abroad). My entire family still lives there and I think you may have driven past my Brothers house during your trip. He lives on Highway 21 in a town called Ozone. Did you pass through there? Anyway, the trails you travelled down were my "Backwoods drinkin', smokin', parkin' / makin' out, and general overall havin' a good time" roads. It was good to see that they're still muddy as hell!!!!!! Oh yeah, watch out for what lies behind those fenced-off trails. Most of them are owned by good ole boys with big damn shotguns. Not real sure but I think I may have even been neighbors with a few of the original cast of Deliverance...........

Just Sayin..................

That area sure is awesome! I did pass right by Ozone about 5 miles to the north of it. I bet you know some cool trails out there, my friend and I are looking for some challenges when he finally gets to go.

I'm always weary of closed gates especially because here in Texas they also mean guys with shotguns and I don't want to be casually riding along while a ranged trains his sights on me from horseback.

The sound of banjos must have been drowned out by the rumble of the F8 but I didn't stop when I came across any building in the middle of nowhere!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:49 PM   #30
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

The third day of the trip promised new and exciting terrain. I was headed back to Texas via forest roads I had never been on. This route would take me places I found on maps without recommendation and there is no telling what I will find.

This road looks promising… I am following power lines through the forest.

This road continued on for miles and miles, following the power lines. The trail was smooth and fast, a very exciting road.

Then… the power lines stopped at a small power station and the road immediately turned into this…

I was hesitant to go too much further but it had been many miles since I had turned onto this mountain road. I wanted to keep pressing further and I am very glad I did. This turned out to be the most exciting and interesting road of the entire trip! The grass came over my helmet in some areas and I was progressing in first gear for most of the time. If anyone is near this area please go ride this road!!! It is threatening to become overgrown and I can tell no one is driving it regularly. If you are in central Arkansas go see this!

Here is where I am on google earth… You can see where the points go from being spread out (3rd and 4th gear) to being bunched up (1st and 2nd gear). At this point the trail became overgrown and the real fun began.

This is where I am on google maps: (FS 67)