Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 05:59 PM   #31
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Oddometer: 2,709
So this is a continuation of the road, this is an “open” area where I was able to open it up in second gear. The tall grass had me guessing as to what lies beneath but on top of this long long mountain there are not many stones or holes. The trail was as smooth as I could hope for most of the way and my biggest concern was downed trees. Several times I came across downed trees and I vowed that I would cut them with my survival saw if I had to instead of turning back. All of the trees had a way around them so I was glad I didn’t have to unpack.

The occasional puddle was no match for my bike! Didn’t this trail know I had spent the last day in the pouring rain in valleys of the Ozark mountains!?!

Towards the end of this section things began to get surreal. I had spend a long time on this road crawling along and a site like this was unexpected. I dismounted, took off my helmet and had some quite time. Soon I would be back in the thick of things in Texas and I wanted to enjoy some time alone.

EnderTheX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:13 PM   #32
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

So I came to the end of this section and onto a major dirt road (major at least compared to what I had been on for the past hour+).

The route I had planned through google maps continues me along a another side road called Dutch Creek Mountain Road. I initially couldn’t find the road and I passed by the entrance a couple times before I finally found it. This is what the road looks like.

Since I had spent a great time on the previous road I decided to skip this road. I had several hundred miles to go before I got back home and it was almost lunchtime so I made my way to the highway.

I continues along some fast and smooth dirt roads. I was superman, I was flying, I was a world champion rally driver! These roads complimented the F800GS like no other, it was simply amazing!

Old 06-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #33
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

So… long story short, I arrived back home in the evening and here are the stats for the day (max speed blurred for my own protection lol):

My bike at the end!!! Definitely not as clean but much happier for having completed another successful journey!

Rear tire, shot after three days.

Front tire, about half word after three days.

After a hard days riding there is no greater reward than this… a cold beer and a dip in the pool. Cheers!

Old 06-13-2010, 06:25 PM   #34
wswartzwel
Unsafe at any speed

Oddometer: 1,036
Thanks so much, Great report.

2006 BMW R1200GS
2010 KTM 690 ENDURO R
1969 BSA STARFIRE
wswartzwel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:03 PM   #35
mnormand
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 358
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
You can tell it’s been raining, this puddle is not that bad. I take a second to judge my line and decide to take the long and strait groove on the left-center of the picture.

This is the same shot in the 2D view from my GPS. Oark is in the bottom right of the picture. You can try your luck at this road yourself. If you can make it on a large adventure bike please let me know how you did it and I wish to try again next time!

I'm almost sure that's the same road we did on the SLAP2010 run on Saturday. We were a large group, two KLR650's, and Honda 650 R/L? they made it fine. The road turned into an sharp uphill Vshaped busted up shale trough kinda thing, with a trickle keeping everything wet. Personally I was careful as reasonably possible, didn't want to fall hard on those rocks, and really break something badly. That was pretty new to me too, and a great learning experience. Very glad I was on a smaller WR250R. Our Versys buddy had to turn around early, but he still won the A-effort award up to that point.

Nice report, surely we rode some of the same roads you did. Thoroughly great fun ! Those guys have it lucky living there.
mnormand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:53 PM   #36
child
poop is fun

Oddometer: 246
Awesome ride report Oliver! Shame I had to miss it :[ We DEFINITELY wouldn't have turned around on those roads :P :P

You definitely know how to cover some miles!

Thanks for taking the time to share the ride.
Arkansas 2010
child is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 08:51 PM   #37
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by child
Awesome ride report Oliver! Shame I had to miss it :[ We DEFINITELY wouldn't have turned around on those roads :P :P

You definitely know how to cover some miles!

Thanks for taking the time to share the ride.
Hey Chris!

I'm sure we could have gotten through those roads if we were together. I kinda have some sense called self-preservation so I had to turn around (besides a SPOT rescue call could be super expensive!!!).

Soon we must put the miles below us and go rock some real mountains!
Old 06-13-2010, 09:16 PM   #38
DocAxeYarYar
RideDualSport.com

Oddometer: 757
OK and AR Nat Forests

Excellent report and pics....I have not yet dual sported up in that area an it looks incredible. Awesome how you got yourself well off the beaten track, that feeling of finding a road barely traveled is great. Thanks for posting up!
Old 06-15-2010, 02:34 PM   #39
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Looks like you had an excellent time. What kind of waterproof camera do you have? Your pictures with it have some great detail.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:41 PM   #40
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250
Looks like you had an excellent time. What kind of waterproof camera do you have? Your pictures with it have some great detail.
Hi! Thanks for the comment, I am using the Cannon PowerShot D10 (a point and shoot camera.

This is by far the best adventure riding camera I have found. It is affordable, reliable and rugged. On the first trip I took I had 2 extra batteries with me and my charger... I didn't need any of that! I took 600 pictures on the original charged battery over 9 days! (YMMV)

Some stats that I remember for casual conversation:
- 12.1 mega-pixels
- image stabilization
- 16 gig flash card (not included)
- shock proof to 4ft (dropped it a few times already)
- waterproof to 33ft (even saltwater)
- freeze-proof
- oh yeah, the lanyard detaches and re-attaches in a second to any corner!

I made it take a picture of itself for you guys. I think being so close to the mirror created some double image but it is usually very sharp as you can see above.

Old 06-19-2010, 09:01 AM   #41
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
Cool Camera Dude! Wish I'd known about this one before i bought the one I have now. Speaking of cool................
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderTheX
I made it take a picture of itself for you guys.
What else can you make it do? Mine just lays there and plays dead.
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 03:52 PM   #42
1994klr250
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 540
Just wondering what kind of rear luggage rack do you have there? I can see the Giant Loop bag and Wolfman duffle. It looks like there is an extra luggage bar on the lower right side of the gas tank and above the brake light. Thanks, Fred.

1994 KLR250, 2009 F800GS, 2006 KLX351
1994klr250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:32 PM   #43
EnderTheX OP
Drunken Squirrel

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1994klr250
Just wondering what kind of rear luggage rack do you have there? I can see the Giant Loop bag and Wolfman duffle. It looks like there is an extra luggage bar on the lower right side of the gas tank and above the brake light. Thanks, Fred.
Hey Fred, good eyes, that's the leftover BMW Vario rack (for all three vario cases) on the back of the bike. I bought this bike used (after waiting 6 months for a used one) from a guy who had the set but didn't want to give em away (and I wasn't going to pay for the hard cases because I knew I wanted soft luggage). The vario rack stayed on the bike and it provides a good anchor point for the Giant Loop Great Basin Bag (awesome bag!!!). It also sticks out just enough to help keep the plastics and exhaust off the ground in my numerous crashes.

Old 07-01-2010, 11:18 PM   #44
Throttlemeister
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,576
Good report with interesting commentary on a great area, its so fun to just try and get lost in the Ozark NF.

BTW-You can send me your old tires, I'll take them on down to worn out depth
Old 04-07-2011, 10:32 PM   #45
EnduroRdr
Woods Racer & D/S Rider

Oddometer: 578
Great ride report - I will be using some of your track info for recon on our next AR trip.
EnduroRdr is offline   Reply With Quote