User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-11-2010, 04:00 PM   #1
KMmoto1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Rukka Athos and Rukka Unit Photos

I've always been intrigued by Rukka's gear, however there is very little information or photos out there. Nearly everyone I've talked to or read here in these forums says they love it and the quality is claimed to be top notch (which I agree with so far). So I finally ordered some up from Bikerland.de online. If you register on their site and login you can see the special pricing they offer. Rukka has never been cheap, but even with the dollar to euro conversion, Bikerland.de offers some great pricing. I picked up the Athos jacket for €335 EUR or $411 and the Unit pants for €240 or $294.

While it might seem crazy to say I didn't want to break the bank on this, I was trying to be more cost conscious. Rukka makes a jacket called the Athos that was/is new for 2010 and still has a Gore Tex liner, the new Gore Tex Lockout main zipper, Rukka's RVP Air CE armor system and Cordura 500 shell. The jacket comes in Grey, Black, Red, Blue and high-viz. The Athos is priced like an premium textile or entry-level Rukka and is generally paired up with Rukka's Unit pants (or trousers as they call them). I ordered the high-viz Athos Jacket in a 54 and the Unit pants in a 52 (I have broader shoulders and chest/moobs but have managed to keep my waist line in check somehow).

I have only ridden about 500 miles in the gear so far. Weather has varied from direct sun to rain (but no heavy downpour stuff yet) with temperatures ranges from 45-88 (with high humidity). In the rain I stayed dry throughout - nothing leaked and there didn't seem to be any indication of water finding its way into the jacket (outside of me sweating). The collar is made of neoprene which is soft and pliable and hasn't so far pilled up at all from neck scruff. If you cinch down the collar velcro you can keep most water from running down your neck, but I always end up with some neck soak in prolonged rain. In weather over 80-85 degrees F you'll find yourself starting to get hot if you're not moving. I don't think any gear outside of mesh (I own a Rev-It Turbine for hot weather) is going to cope with 90+ degree heat well. Maybe in drier climates this is less of an issue, but here in Chicago where things get humid in the summer you'll start to slow-bake a bit when sitting. As Chi-Town mentioned in his Rukka Armax review, this is a great 3 season (spring, fall, winter) setup. I find if I put my left-hand up on my GS left-hand mirror at speed I can get some wind to rush into the sleeve and cool down the inside of the coat. Below 80 degrees though the jacket and Gore Tex liner actually seem to work, keeping things comfortable and blocking most of the wind from getting through. At 45 degrees I just put on a long-sleeve Under Armor/Nike synthetic underlayer and was totally fine.

The inside of the jacket is lined in a slippery material bonded to the Gore Tex membrane that makes this one of the most comfortable and easiest jackets to put on and take off. The Athos uses a Gore Tex Z-liner which is not removable. These things are always compromises. Gore Tex is a breathable material that should allow heat and moisture to escape (within reason). Having the floating Z-liner in the jack means some airflow can occur between the outside shell and the liner. But since it isn't removable it means that there is little in the way of ventilation flaps/zippers. Like I mentioned above, the whole thing really seems to work well below 80-85 degress (your tolerance may vary of course). For hot weather riding, I'm not sure what the optimal setup is any more (or if there really is one). We all want to travel with as little gear as necessary and with as few inconveniences as possible (having to stop and put on rain gear or zip in a waterproof liner). At the same time we don't want to bake like a potato in our gear when its hot either, so I'm torn. You can either go mesh with no liner (like my RevIt Turbine) and bring along a rain suit. Or you can wear something with a removable waterproof liner like the Rukka Airvision or RevIt Cayenne Pro. It will be interesting to see what RevIt does with their new Gore Tex stuff coming this fall. Anyway...

The Rukka RVP Air CE armor is a pliable poly material with a waffle weave so that air and moisture can still move through the layers of fabric. The armor is very comfortable and goes largely unnoticed most of the time. Armor coverage leans towards the BMW gear side of the spectrum where the coverage is a little longer and wider. The Athos doesn't come with the back protector standard, so you'll need to order it separately.

The Gore Tex Lockout main zipper is like a giant Ziplock bag zipper. It is a little fiddly and takes some getting used to until you find a technique that works to get it zippered up nice and smooth. Most of the time it works just fine, but double check after you zip it to make sure it locked the two sides properly. Just like a Ziplock bag where you're sure you got the two sides locked up and they aren't, the same can happen with this zipper. Once you learn to have a little patience and zip it up in a nice fluid and slow motion it is almost never an issue. There is some lubricating stuff in a tiny bottle that comes with it to keep things pliable and glitch free.

Overall I'm very happy so far. I've been wearing it nearly all the time unless the weather is above 85 with heavy humidity and then I turn to my mesh gear.

I needed to shoot some other gear for a review as part of the day job duties and decided to shoot the Rukka stuff in the studio as well. High-viz is a major pain in the arse to photograph and digital cameras have a tough time with it so I adjusted the color in Photoshop to make it a little closer to what it looks like in real life.

Rukka Athos jacket

Here is the front zipped up. There is a protective flap on the bottom of the jacket that covers the larger Gore Tex Lockout zipper hardware at the bottom that I forgot to snap up:

There is a second smaller zipper inside the main Lockout zipper and two waterproof side pockets left and right. There are three position snaps to adjust the arm circumference just above the elbow. The bright silver accents are all reflective:

On the back you'll find more bright silver reflective accents including the kinda cheesy Rukka "R" logo. Waist adjustments help to tailor fit a bit more.

Unzipped you can see the inside liner, a crotch strap and zipper to link up to riding pants:

Sleeve detail below. The sleeves are adjustable and offer plenty of leeway to go over or under gauntlet gloves.

Here is a closeup of the Cordura 500 material:

The elbows and shoulders have a different type of weave pattern:

Closeup of the neoprene collar:

Rukka RVP Air CE armor from the hips of the Unit pants (same CE material as jacket):

Rukka Unit pants

The Unit pants are similar Cordura 500 and Gore Tex liner and zip up to the bottom of the jacket. CE includes knee/shin armor and hip armor:

Anyway, hope that helps for people looking for more information. If there are any questions or other photographs you're looking for, let me know and I'll see what I can do.

-jamie

kilometermagazine.com
Do you like european cars and motorcycles?

KMmoto1 screwed with this post 06-14-2010 at 10:56 AM
KMmoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 06:46 PM   #2
earwig
Crowbar of Embrayage

Oddometer: 4,722
I've been wondering about Rukka recently and saw a few good deals on the Athos jacket. Really appreciate this post and the time you took to get some good photos.

Thanks!

earwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 07:38 PM   #3
lhendrik
Truffle Rustler

Oddometer: 2,299
Thanks for a great post. Can you help me with sizing. I am 5-10 1/2 and 185lbs, 36 inch waist. 42 Reg Suit. I wear a 52 BMW Rallye Pro 2 suit that fits pretty well.

Can you say if the Rukka sizing runs similar/same/different to BMW clothing.

Any advice appreciated.
Old 06-12-2010, 07:01 AM   #4
xplorador
ibTrippin

Oddometer: 63
Rukka is great

I bight a Rukka SRO suit about 3-4 (?) years ago when they came out. I also bought the Frey Datona Road Star Boots. They are both the absolute best money can buy.

The Rukka I have has the Armacor/Gortex (kevlar) everywhere and not a drop enters the suit even during extended riding in fairly heavy rain. It is not the best for ventilation, however, so I have bought a few pieces of BMW gear as well. Although the build quality on the BMW stuff far surpases most all others I have looked at, nothing comes close to Rukka.

It has built in phase change liners a air (blowup with relief valve so you can adjust to the current climate - great mountains) jacket that is removable etc, etc.

One of the best features on the Rukka is the seating area. It is covered with. Grippy fabric to keep you stable on the seat and has a cushion built in that keeps your nether region comfy and monkey butt free with no extra shorts, pads or powders.

He'll yea it was expensive, I think really close to $2,000 for both the pants and jacket. still going strong but looking for another Rukka suit for summer.
xplorador is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:41 PM   #5
MoxNix
Stuttgart Germany

Oddometer: 1,171
If I may, I am really enamored with Rukka gear as well. Having gone through so many jackets (RP2, DarienLight, Streetguard 2, Atlantis 3, RevIt, Dianesse and Trailgurad) I can confidently state that Rukka is of the highest quality of any I've owned. The Athos is the 'budget' Rukka and is still higher quality than any of the above mentioned kit.

The Athos is too hot for me in temps above mid-70s.

I did have a 3 hour ride (all autobahn) in pouring rain with temps in the low-40s and froze my ass off (I left the thermal liner at home). I did get wet as well in the crotch I was using the unit trousers zipped to the Athos.

I recently found a Kalahari (NOS) with the zip-in GoreTex liner and could not be happier with the purchase.

Rukka seems to think thing through a little bit more that others- neoprene collars, soft-touch cuffs on the liner, a GoreTex liner that doesn't zip the length of the font zipper (allows air flow between the liner and outer shell). The one knock may be the 'Flock of Seagulls' slash zipper

Country of production is also a consideration for me- if its made in China it should be priced as such- not like the BMW Streetguard 2 or Klim.
Old 06-12-2010, 05:27 PM   #6
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 796
We are an authorized dealer for Rukka in the US and Canada and welcome all questions and size inquiries.
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 06:59 PM   #7
jkam
Nomadic Man

Oddometer: 3,810
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
We are an authorized dealer for Rukka in the US and Canada and welcome all questions and size inquiries.
Are your prices always retail?

Seems to me all the US and Canadian shops selling Rukka are retail only.

Whereas you can buy from Germany for much less. And now that the Euro is losing ground to the dollar, why would I buy retail here?

I like Rukka, I had the APR setup for many years and liked it, but it has it's issues like most riding gear. For example, zipper pulls that break and the use of small size zippers on places that have a tendency to fail. Also, if you have a warranty issue, it is a big hassle to have repaired.
Old 06-13-2010, 12:27 PM   #8
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,121
Quote:
Originally Posted by jkam
Are your prices always retail?

Seems to me all the US and Canadian shops selling Rukka are retail only.

Whereas you can buy from Germany for much less. And now that the Euro is losing ground to the dollar, why would I buy retail here?
Excellent question. I hope Mike answers with a good reason to buy here, also.

I've been wearing the same Rukka gear for 6-7 years and am considering a replacement, right away.
Member: NRA, AMA, TPA, MSF RC
Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:41 PM   #9
ktm950se
Banned

Oddometer: 1,385
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trophy Mike
Greetings,
Are most styles and sizes in stock, or at least in the US, so a proper fitting doesn't require sending items back to Europe?

ktm950se
ktm950se is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:05 AM   #10
Trophy Mike
w/extreme prejudice

Oddometer: 796
This issue has been raised before. While we don't meet or beat offshore pricing* we do offer warranty service and can expedite most problems swiftly without undue hassle. Please be sure your intended purchase is covered by same because the N. American dealers handle only their own client's warranties. Currently we specialize in the Rukka Armas with the Airoad arriving shortly. All stocking and exchanges are done within N. America.

*once you add the extra shipping, duty, brokerage and taxes that initial lower price may not be all it seemed
trophycycleapparel.com - America's #1 Non-REV'IT! Dealer - Rukka Gear Discussion/FAQ
Trophy Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:10 AM   #11
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Since Canada and Germany are both "offshore" to the source, beating "offshore" prices is a moot point. (Yes, I understand Trophy ships from Michigan, too).

Apples to Apples comparison

http://www.biker-land.de/RUKKA to http://www.trophycycleapparel.com

Trophy carries only a couple of Rukka styles, and Biker-Land carries the entire range of products, so this comparison is for the Armas, which Trophy does carry.

Trophy Rukka Armas Black Jacket
$1,395.00 plus shipping (source)

Biker-Land.de Rukka Armas Black Jacket
949.00 Eur, less VAT of 151.52 Eur = 797.52 Eur (source)
Shipping to US = 50.00 Eur (source)
Total = 847.48 Eur
Exchange = US $1,039.31 (source xe.com, 14 Jun 10)
(There is no import fee for motorcycle gear or apparel from Germany, for personal use. I just imported a Kalich sidecar from Germany through customs and paid no import duties, per US Customs, so the * argument above is a red herring.)

Summary:
Trophy - Armas Jacket = $1,395, plus shipping
Biker Land - Armas Jacket = $1040, delivered

In 6-7 years of use of the same Rukka jacket, I've never needed a warranty service. If I ever do with my new gear, I can just as easily send it to Germany as to Canada (or Michigan).

At a 34% premium to stay "onshore", this one is a no brainer...
Old 06-14-2010, 09:31 AM   #12
Rapid Dog
bikes, booze, broads...

Oddometer: 9,129
Thumb Rukkaism

Got my Rukka Air jacket from Bikerland, best price I could find even shipped from Germany. They were very helpfull in sizing me too.
Never thought I'd pay that much for any piece of gear, even after buying high-zoot BMW stuff.
But the Rukka stuff is gear for a lifetime. The fit and function is tremendous.

Rapid Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:24 AM   #13
KMmoto1 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac
Apples to Apples comparison

Trophy Rukka Armas Black Jacket
$1,395.00 plus shipping (source)

Biker-Land.de Rukka Armas Black Jacket
949.00 Eur, less VAT of 151.52 Eur = 797.52 Eur (source)
Shipping to US = 50.00 Eur (source)
Total = 847.48 Eur
Exchange = US $1,039.31 (source xe.com, 14 Jun 10)
(There is no import fee for motorcycle gear or apparel from Germany, for personal use. I just imported a Kalich sidecar from Germany through customs and paid no import duties, per US Customs, so the * argument above is a red herring.)

Summary:
Trophy - Armas Jacket = $1,395, plus shipping
Biker Land - Armas Jacket = $1040, delivered
Actually if you create an account on the Bikerland.de website (it is free) you'll actually see the price they will sell you the jacket for. In the case of the Rukka Armas the Bikerland.de price is actually 713 or 84 EUR less than what you quoted above. Current conversion of 713 EUR to dollars is $875.

You may also be able to haggle with them to get it cheaper (for instance buying the pants and jacket together).

I can feel for the guys here in the U.S. trying to sell it, but that disparity is just too big to ignore.

kilometermagazine.com
Do you like european cars and motorcycles?
KMmoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
Mac
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by KMmoto1
... actually 713 or 84 EUR less than what you quoted above.
Excellent.

Trophy Mike, if you want to be competitive it looks like you'll have to adapt. Let us know when you match prices.
Old 06-14-2010, 04:15 PM   #15
Fishyhead
Eremikophobic

Oddometer: 3,143
That's a great looking setup.