User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-12-2010, 02:42 AM   #1
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
2up riding?

how it the 800gs for 2up riding? Passenger comfort for longer rides, weekend trips and 2-3 weeks of holiday riding?

I'm 184 cm (6') and weigh 95 kilos (209 pounds)
My passenger, the gf, is 164 cm (5'4) tall and weighs 45 kilos (99 pounds).

2 up riding + luggage ect, is the bike powerfull enough for this?

Thanks
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:11 AM   #2
WOLVERINE
Keep her pinned!

Oddometer: 615
I'm about your height (6'1 & 215) and my wife (5'5 & 140) and we have ridden together on the bike but not for long trips but I was surprised how managable it was. Now add some panniers and gear it might be a different ballpark so that's why I have the 1200. I'm not sure what your comfort range is but you might be fine as your passanger is smaller. The bike as all kinds of power and has no probs with that aspect only the suspension will need to be upgraded in the rear at least. At least a stiffer spring to accomadate passenger + luggage.

2008 R1200GSA
WOLVERINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 04:33 AM   #3
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Oddometer: 1,336
F800 2up plus luggage... No problem. Great offroad, plenty of highway power, even handles twisties well. We've also rented a 1200GS (3 day trip)and didn't personally feel it had any highway advantages- but was less competent off-road (than the F8).
www.hoofrehab.com
SlowRide13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 07:36 AM   #4
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
I DO find the R1200GS more comfortable for long road trips.

2up is fine on both bikes including heavy bags.

I barely notice the G/F on the back of my F8GS and she is comfortable for 150 miles between stops but she does find the R12 more comfortable.

With my dad on the back (220lbs, 6'2") the F8 feels a little under powered above 110 mph on gravel, but is still stable as can be, except when my pa starts squirming around.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 08:37 AM   #5
ziepan
Thread Killer

Oddometer: 608
I have been riding my GF on the back of my 07 650GS a lot we are both about 150lbs.

The bike does well, we have been riding in the mountains and it does well up hills and through the twisties. I am impressed by how well it does, I haven't loaded gear on so I don't know about that.
ziepan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #6
ride2little
MoveAlongNothingHere

Oddometer: 1,891
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman

With my dad on the back (220lbs, 6'2") the F8 feels a little under powered above 110 mph on gravel, but is still stable as can be, except when my pa starts squirming around.

YamahaRZ350
AMA-262640
ride2little is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 03:40 PM   #7
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoelWisman
If I tried to go 110mph on gravel with my wife on back, I'd be singin' hi notes for the rest of my short life. So please disregard my comparison of the F8 the 12 . Obviously I'm not qualified!
p
www.hoofrehab.com
Old 06-12-2010, 06:07 PM   #8
RamblerTim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
What are the guidelines for 2 up riding?

What is the proper way for her to mount? Dismount?

Where is she to hold?

What do I tell her to do in curves & other general guidelines?

Thank you.
RamblerTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:15 PM   #9
AK_Troyer
Not AKTroy

Oddometer: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerTim

Where is she to hold?

Also good questions for non-biking activities...
Old 06-13-2010, 03:22 AM   #10
sbn OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 579
Thank you guys for your replies. I think, if the weather does get better here, I will go and test ride a F800gs with the gf next week.

Does anyone have any pictures of a 800gs with 2 people on... I havent seen any on here or on google.

Thanks
sbn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:44 AM   #11
SlowRide13
Veteran n00b

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblerTim
What are the guidelines for 2 up riding?

Where is she to hold?

Thank you.
mount/dismount quick and smooth. She puts her left hand on my shoulder and left foot on the left peg and springs across the bike from her right foot. I didn't realize how good she was at getting on 'till I rode my teenage son and he almost pulled us to the ground just using the left peg as a step.

Son holds on to pannier rack. Wife holds on to my waist/hip bones (bike riding dammit)

On and off road curves, I want her to press slightly into me and lean with me. Any neutral position is okay, though. She just needs to be still/stable in curves.

Rocky terrain/ruts/bumps/hill climbs, she stands up with me. This takes practice, but will be more comfortable and stable in the long run. YOU'VE GOTTA BUY OFFROAD PASSENGER PEGS or it won't work!!! It is a strain for her to stand for long periods, so I try to stay down as much as possible, but we are both ready to raise off the seat when a rough section pops up.

Mud/creeks, we've found its best if she stays neutral on the seat while I stand up alone (she still holds onto my hip bones/waist). If I am gas-on and fishtailing, I have way more control if she stays down. When she was standing in mud, I would sometimes sling her to the side, then over correct to swing her weight back.... then repeat rapidly. This would start a jerky back and forth 'death wobble' and I would have to just chop the gas to keep from crashing. This of course meant we were stuck in the mud.

So bottom line, she rides as 'dead weight' on pavement and mud, but is pretty active on the rest in between.
p

PS. Buy Scala's... Worth their weight in cut diamonds!
www.hoofrehab.com
Old 06-14-2010, 05:33 PM   #12
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,701
For reference remember the R1150GS made a tad more torque but was on par power wise with the F8 but was quite a bit heavier and just as tall. Nobody ever asks if the R1150 can handle two up but there seems to be much doubt that the 8 is up to the task. I think it (R1150) had a bit more room than the F8. The F8 should do the job well assuming you pack like its a motorcycle. The 1200 has more torque and is great two up. I'm getting ready to take the 8 out two-up next week for 1k+ ride though I ride 95% solo.

v8toilet screwed with this post 06-14-2010 at 07:20 PM
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:48 AM   #13
jaycommando
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 103
Thumb 3400+ Miles

Me and my Missus are gonna be leaving on a trip around the Great Lakes on the 26th June. We will be doing some 400+ mile days and Im getting the bikes 12k service done before we depart. Will let you know how we get on but current farkels are:

Annakee 2's front n rear, Wuderlich Micro flooters, battery volage meter, Power Bronze screen, Zumo 550, Alaskan Leather Buttpad + large airhawk (for her) = quiet ride, powerlet'ed my dowco tankbag to charge G1 and Zumo, OEM Adv panniers, scala rider teamset, all luggage will go in panniers + canoe bags on top and a waterproof mountaine duffle on the rack secured with rok straps.

We will be camping and hoteling. check the thread in Trip Planning.

We've done lots of weekends together and she loves the bike, I never find it lacking in space or power still nippy around town and plenty of overtaking power on the road!

Just because I stink of petrol, look like shit and still smile doesn't mean I've not been having fun!

Soldiers Do It With Their Helmets ON!!
jaycommando is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
bpken11
Back to the Dirt

Oddometer: 348
Two up too much

I love riding this bike solo. I do an occasional two up with my son. Now, we are not little people! I am 6'2" 230 and he is 5'10" about 180, and he is 14! As others have mentioned, if I don't keep reminding him to sit up and move his butt back to the top case, I am singing soprano after about 90 minutes! I find that the downward rake of the seat, wich is great for solo off road, is not so great for highway two up. I am looking at different after market seats that have less rake and that nice little step up in the rear that lets the boy know to keep his bumm where it belongs.

As for power and handling, the bike easily takes the two of us and a full camping outfit and personal gear. I dare say that we add another 450 lbs to the 450 the bike is for a total of 900 lbs with no power or handling problems! add gas and go! Just could use about three more inches of seat length!

As for how to ride with a passenger, he is a great pillion. I tell him to just stay still, put his back on the back rest of the top box, and don't move, don't lean, (in other words if you keep your back the same on the back rest you will naturally go with the bike) just keep the same position and everything will be just dandy, he has been riding on the rear of my bikes since he was 9 so he has gotten pretty good at it. Other than the crunch to the tank, i would never know he was there.
I want an early 70's toaster tank, you got one for sale?
bpken11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 10:50 AM   #15
Lion BR
I'd rather be riding

Oddometer: 3,357
Quote:
Originally Posted by sbn
Thank you guys for your replies. I think, if the weather does get better here, I will go and test ride a F800gs with the gf next week.

Does anyone have any pictures of a 800gs with 2 people on... I havent seen any on here or on google.

Thanks
Check these couple:
From NYC to Brazil, via TDF, two-up on an F800GS:
http://www.gonepenguin.com/
Lion BR is offline   Reply With Quote