ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Layin' down tracks > GPS Tracks - Northeast, Southeast & Florida
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 18 votes, 5.00 average. Display Modes
Old 11-12-2010, 09:27 AM   #121
thejosh
Chump

Oddometer: 456
i got the doc chip, thanks

i got the doc chip, thanks
2002 DR725! "Quasi-Moto"
thejosh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 12:49 AM   #122
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryceB
What we did in NC was great. Lots of dirt and one long abandoned pave FS road that is almost half overgrown with weeds coming through the pavement and lots of holes and broken pavement to avoid. I'd like to find out the story on that road as it doesn't really go anywhere.
I ran into some locals on D/S bikes near there a few years ago. They called it the Jimmy Carter Road. Said he'd planned on building a Presidential retreat up there but never got around to finishing the project. It looks like thirty years lack of maintenance, and you're right it doesn't go anywhere. Nice views though.

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #123
NorthernTraveler
Long time Adventurer

Oddometer: 414
TET-S update

I've pretty much got a TET-S update done, just doing some updating of the campgrounds.

I reworked it east of Hot Springs, NC to move it off the highway as much as possible and onto back roads... still paved, but at least minor paved.

I looked at moving it west of Hot Springs, but the Forest Service was busy and put in a new gate. Rode around there for 2 1/2 hours and couldn't get anything better so I left it where it was.

I also moved it out of Cherokee based upon Blue Lghtning suggestion, and found even more two track across the Indian reservation.

And finally I moved it across the river from Hwy 28 to back paved roads... but there is a nice old tractor out there! Now it goes directly past the gas station on 28 (we still use a little 28, but only 2 miles vs 6 miles before).

When I finish cleaning it up I'll turn it over to Chip for distribution, same as before. Thinking about adding gas mileages....
NorthernTraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 09:26 PM   #124
RichardU
Let's Ride

Oddometer: 892
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
When I finish cleaning it up I'll turn it over to Chip for distribution, same as before.
Awesome. Thanks.
RichardU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 04:35 PM   #125
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 392
I received your email, thanks Chip.

I am working on an eastern connector from the Atlantic seaboard to the TAT. Basically following the Savannah River, then thru the forests of north GA and into TN to connect at Sparta TN.

A usefull resource - county DOT maps. They also show the road surface (if unpaved) Here are links to GA and SC. I'm sure the other states have them too.

http://www.dot.state.ga.us/maps/pages/CountyMaps.aspx

http://dbw.scdot.org/GISMapping/
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 07:36 PM   #126
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Oddometer: 2,138
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmarkr
I received your email, thanks Chip.

I am working on an eastern connector from the Atlantic seaboard to the TAT. Basically following the Savannah River, then thru the forests of north GA and into TN to connect at Sparta TN.

A usefull resource - county DOT maps. They also show the road surface (if unpaved) Here are links to GA and SC. I'm sure the other states have them too.

http://www.dot.state.ga.us/maps/pages/CountyMaps.aspx

http://dbw.scdot.org/GISMapping/
County DOT and FS MVUM have been used extensively in this. Have a look in the Tet thread, come join the party?

"For a boy,it was a kind of paradise.
I wasn't just playing Indian, I was living Indian."
intothenew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:33 PM   #127
rmarkr
Squatter

Oddometer: 392
Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
County DOT and FS MVUM have been used extensively in this. Have a look in the Tet thread, come join the party?
I'll do what I can. My mapping skills need some work though.
I have a few good rides along the downstream end of the Savannah River. I've got work to do to get up to the forest roads in north GA from Augusta. It seems like every promising road is paved. I'm inclined to hook up to the southern (TAT) route, to avoid TN.
I'll post up what I have, after some cleaning up of my files.
rmarkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 04:43 PM   #128
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Oddometer: 2,255
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthernTraveler
I've pretty much got a TET-S update done, just doing some updating of the campgrounds.
I may get a chance to run the Alabama and Florida portions of TET-S this coming weekend. Any changes down that way I should know about. I'd like to make a report from the ground.
craftycoder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:10 AM   #129
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder
I may get a chance to run the Alabama and Florida portions of TET-S this coming weekend. Any changes down that way I should know about. I'd like to make a report from the ground.
I double checked, as of this morning, there have been no changes in AL/FL from what you have. You should be good to go.

Enjoy.

Old 11-30-2010, 06:22 AM   #130
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

Quote:
Originally Posted by intothenew
I double checked, as of this morning, there have been no changes in AL/FL from what you have. You should be good to go.

Enjoy.
Great. Assuming it stops pissing rain and my buddy's schedule is still clear I'll report back with photos and intelligence from the trail.
Old 12-02-2010, 09:54 AM   #131
fishdawgz
living the dream

Oddometer: 156
got the doc file

Look forward to the GPX file. Thnx
fishdawgz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #132
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

The weather was cold but mostly dry. A friend and I rode TetS from I20 to Eufaula. It was excellent. I was on a 800GS and he was on a 1200GS. Lot's of dirt. Conditions were excellent though. I wouldn't think twice about doing that portion of the route solo now. If the rest of the route is anything like this small portion we rode then it will be real treat to run. I only had two days to ride, so I rode away from home a day, camped and rode back home. We stayed at one of the camping waypoints in the file. It was accurately placed and perfect for our needs. I have several photos that I'll upload soon.
Old 12-06-2010, 04:02 AM   #133
intothenew OP
Briar Patch Navigator

Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
A friend and I rode TetS from I20 to Eufaula.
Thanks for the feedback. I am really looking forward to the pictures. We are still undecided on how to lay that section of the file out in "days". From your description, it looks like you done 180-200 in a day. Comments on that note?

Old 12-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #134
craftycoder
Motobrain PDU

We started the day with 80 miles of slab, then did 180 mile of TetS to the campground at Lake George. Because it was overcast skies and the short days this time of year we wanted to be helmets off at 1630. We hit TetS at 0915 and got to the campground at 1620. I had a 1.25 hour lunch and Auburn football break in La Fayette. I would suggest putting that food waypoint in the official map because that was the only meal we had for 2 days. Restaurants are few and far between!

Doing the math, we were making 30mph average on GSs (including the time it takes to get gas but NOT to get food). Longer days = more miles but I think 30mph average is a pretty good target for this section.

Photo slideshow.

craftycoder screwed with this post 12-07-2010 at 05:14 AM
Old 12-06-2010, 10:58 AM   #135
waybill
cheap thrill

Oddometer: 704
Quote:
Originally Posted by craftycoder View Post
Doing the math, we were making 30mph average on GSs (including the time it takes to get gas but NOT to get food). Longer days = more miles but I think 30mph average is a pretty good target for this section.
That is good feedback, I was guessing about a 35mph average for my route so good to know it's in the ballpark. Finding food, gas, and lodging (or camping) at the right intervals is more difficult than you'd think. Eastern Alabama is fairly remote, I've been on some backroads over there but not off-road, it looks very nice. Eastern Georgia is probably a liitle less so, but only slightly. I'm thinking there could be a giant Southeast loop dipping well down into Fla. once everything gets tied together, could be pretty cool.

Here's something from Ocala Nat. Forest this past weekend. This particular road looks much more like Eastern Ga. (the terrain and surface) than what you'd normally find here in Florida (hope to get some real pics from SET fairly soon). It'll probably be included in the Fla. coast to coast to coast route across the northern peninsula I've also been working on. (it's slightly out of the way so may just be listed as optional). Scroll down to the video on post #789.

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showt...544768&page=53

1150Adv, 950Adv, 800GS, TR650, DR350
waybill is offline   Reply With Quote