User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 06:28 AM   #1
RamblinKevin OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Ramblin Across Colorado and Utah

Memorial Day 2010 had finally arrived. The day I had been looking forward to, and dreaming about all year long. This special day of reverence and rememberance for our brave troops, past and present, marks the beginning of my 2010 Colorado-Utah Dualsport Adventure. I'm not exactly sure why it took a lifetime of riding street bikes, and trailering my dirt bikes to realize that I could have one motorcycle that is fully capable on both highway and dirt. So, I felt that I was making up for lost time as I put the KLR in the wind and turned westbound on I-70 from Indianapolis heading for Colorado, which is about 1200 miles to Colorado Springs. The new motorcycle was running great, and I was cruising along on the interstate at 70 to 75 MPH for most of the day, stopping only for gas and quick meals along the way.

I was thinking of my cousin, and nephew in the service of our country overseas, as I rode along, and I was wishing them well, and praying for their safe return. All of our troops past and present, were also on my mind as I rode along that first day to finally stop for the day at the Motel 6 in Junction City, Kansas. Home of Fort Riley and the Legendary Big Red 1. A very fitting place to rest for this first day of the trip. The pool was not quite open yet, so I walked over to the A&W and sat down with a large Rootbeer Float, which was extremely delicious, then returned to the room and called it a day. I slept like a baby that night, and was up and at 'em early the next morning, and on the road again even before first light.

Heres my bike at the motel, decked out in full Beverly Hillbillies Mode. :-)

I arrived in Colorado Springs, CO the next afternoon, and headed to Wallyworld to stock up on Camping supplies.

I then headed for Gold Camp Road to begin my mountain Adventure!

Gold Camp road runs from Colorado Springs to Cripple Creek through the Front Range.

Lot's more to come. I just arrived home from the trip last night, and can pick up my dog from the kennel now. I've missed that little guy for the last two weeks!

RamblinKevin screwed with this post 01-02-2011 at 07:49 PM
RamblinKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #2
GB
Mod Squad

Oddometer: 55,849
Sounds and looks like an excellent trip!! Looking forward to your pics and full report

Old 06-13-2010, 10:11 AM   #3
RamblinKevin OP
Adventurer

Colorado and Utah

Well, the dog is home from the kennel, and even put on a pound or two from the good country livin, so on with the ride report.

Gold Camp Road was an awesome ride, but I couldn't find the way through from the East, so I took 24 around to the west side and ran into this nice gentleman. He was trying to find a downhill spot to park, like I always have to do. For some reason the newer model KLR's stand almost upright when on level ground and on the side stand. A tip-over waiting to happen. I got pretty good at selecting safe parking spots. We chatted for awhile, and he said Gold Camp didn't go through due to a tunnel collapse. I encouraged him to check out ADVRIDER.COM

It was getting near sunset, so I looked for a place to camp. I found this spot in the Craggs area of Pikes Peak National Forest. The spot was fee free, and by a bubbling creek, I slept like a rock with the soothing sound.

Next morning I checked out Gold Camp from the west side, and Rambled my way to (Up On) Cripple Creek.

Next on the list is Shelf Road. It runs through some awesome terrain from Cripple Creek to Cannon City.

South of Cannon City I rode the Oak Creek Grade. Very smooth dirt road. I had loads of fun power sliding out of the corners.

I stopped at this awesome General Store that was really a Mom and Pop place to eat. That was the best chili, bread, and sandwich I have had in a while. Everything homemade of course.

At this point I was trying to find a way over the Sange De Cristo Mountains to Great Sand Dunes National Park. After 3 or 4 tries down dirt roads, I ended up having to go around these 14,000 peaks on 69 to Walsenburg. I found an awesome motel for $50 with breakfast included. It's on 160 right after the closed down Knights Inn. These people need business, or they may go the same way.

Next morning, It was time to check out Great Sand Dunes.

Lot's more later...
Old 06-13-2010, 12:37 PM   #4
DualHabit
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 146
Great RR keep those beautiful photo's coming!
DualHabit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 12:48 PM   #5
RamblinKevin OP
Adventurer

More Colorado and Utah

So where was I? Ahh yes, Great Sand Dunes. Only $3 admission and a great place to check out if you are ever in the area.

Those are people way up there.

Next I rode down 160 West looking for Forest Service Roads to ride and look for campsites. I found a couple nice ones. One with some alpine lakes and another on the West Fork of the San Juan River where I camped for the night. Very nice spot, and the price was right. $0

There where roads of all varieties and difficulties.

Next morning, I rode through Durango, and on to Mesa Verde National Park.
The campsite was a bit pricey at $26, but had what I needed at the time. Showers, Laundry Mat, Camp store with grill, (bring your own camp food though $$). I met a very nice family camped next door that invited me to a wonderful dinner. I had a great time at Mesa Verde leaving my gear and yes even my helmet at the site and riding the sweet roads in the park. Spanking new asphalt is being applied this year, very sticky.

Next morning, after the all you can eat pancakes at the grill, I headed for Monument Valley, Including the Valley of the Gods, and Goosenecks State Park which is free and very awesome.

This road was a blast to ride. Fairly smooth, with lot's of places to catch a little air! The slight washboarding was only a pleasant vibration over 40 mph. Just watch out the straight doesn't turn into a draw! I bottomed out a good one on a basketball sized rock. I thanked God above, and my good friend Kenny, who helped me modify and install the MSR skid plate days before, there was no damage to the engine case.

Goosenecks.

And onward to Mexican Hat. Much more to come, stay tuned!

RamblinKevin screwed with this post 06-15-2010 at 02:02 PM
Old 06-13-2010, 03:32 PM   #6
on2wheels52
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,307
Good stuff Kevin. Will be heading that way in July.
Jim
on2wheels52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:03 PM   #7
RamblinKevin OP
Adventurer

More Colorado and Utah

Mexican Hat was well over 100 degrees, no camping for me tonight. The Mexican Hat Lodge is an awesome place, with cold A/C, and resonable on price for the area at $78. After 6pm the Swinging Steak Bar opens, and the chef swings the steaks back and forth across a fire on a grate, and man where they good!. So was the Polygamy Porter Beer. After dinner, I went for a sunset ride to Goosenecks.

First I gassed and watered up. I added a 2.5 gallon MSR water bag for the desert. and took a spin up and down monument valley before returing to the Lodge.

Next morning on to Moab. I stayed at the Motel 6 for 3 nights to unload most of my gear and ride as much sutable trail as I could find. Temps in Moab where 105 to 107. Much hotter on the trail. Couldn't wear my jacket for fear of heat exhaustion. I Rambled up Potash Road up the Schaffer Switchbacks the first evening. Check out the Potash Lakes!

Much more to come, must stop for now. Let me know if you have any questions about the ride!

Old 06-13-2010, 04:58 PM   #8
Robert-31320
Agent of Chaos

Oddometer: 95
Great pictures, thanks for sharing your adventure!
Old 06-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #9
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
I love me sum COLORADO
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 05:09 PM   #10
Deano955
Insatiable

Oddometer: 3,976
Nice pics. Looks like you enjoyed yourself out in our parts. I hope you spent lots of money and tell your riding buddies back home how excellent it is out here!

Cheers
Old 06-13-2010, 05:17 PM   #11
header
Chris

Oddometer: 1,740
Wow, you werent kidding when you said you had a lot of pics.

KTM 530exc
525exc refresh
header is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 06:09 PM   #12
prometheus rising
Ghost In The Machine

Oddometer: 722
Perfect !!

The Adirondacks and Beyond ADV ride report
prometheus rising is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:19 PM   #13
advtenn
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,360
Subscribed!

"My body thinks my brains gone crazy" ..........Corky McMillian
advtenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:25 PM   #14
twohawks
Not Afraid

Oddometer: 2,750
Looks like a fun trip!

Utah and Colorado 2010 Ride Report
CAT HERDER'S
BWDR
SMIBS

2008 KLR650
1984 GL1200I GoldWing Interstate
Human Power'd two wheel machine - 2001 StumpJumper Pro Hardtail
CMA ><>
GWRRA
twohawks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 11:27 PM   #15
SteveinCO
Bocephus

Oddometer: 5
Sweet photos. Sure inspired me to get out this week.
SteveinCO is offline   Reply With Quote