User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 06:32 AM   #1
soyanarchisto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,284
Gear Review: FIVE Stunt Gloves

I love my BMW Rallye gloves. Although not very warm, they were the only gloves I ever wore that left me with some dexterity and sensitivity. And, after 4 years of constant use I felt I got my money's worth--not something I can say for the Rallye suit.

So when the seams of the Rallye gloves started blowing out I started looking for an alternative. I wanted a glove that provided good knuckle protection, abrasion resistance, dexterity and sensitivity but still didn't leave me feeling like I was wearing shoes on my hands. I'm not a huge fan of gauntlet-style gloves and I wanted a glove that let me take full advantage of the heated grips.

Having just recently ordered a Klim F4 helmet from Atomic Moto, I decided to check out their site. The FIVE stunt gloves looked very similar to the Rallye glove with some additional features I liked. I searched the web for reviews and came up empty so gave Brian at Atomic Moto a call. Without hesitation he recommended the Stunt gloves so I pulled the trigger and 3 days later they were on my desk.

Fit and finish on these gloves is excellent. I have big hands and was a bit concerned that the Large was going to be too small. Out of the box they were pretty snug but after a few hours riding they conformed to my hands nicely.

We finally got some nice, warm weather here so I took them on a 400-mile ride yesterday and I couldn't be happier. The knuckle guards have little vents on them to cool your fingers. The palm is leather reinforced which helps grip the bars better. They gloves are constructed anatomically so have a natural curve to them to conform to your hand.

Sorry for the crappy pics. The silver things on the knuckles are vents.

There is a curved piece of carbon fiber on the base of the palm in case of crashes (first point of contact for your hand on pavement). The knuckle protection is as nice as the Rallye gloves with an added bonus--vents.

Overall, I really love these gloves and at $57 (plus shipping) a great value.

Finally, I am in no way affiliated with FIVE or Atomic Moto. I will say that I will be doing more business with Atomic Moto as the service is stellar and fast.

http://www.atomic-moto.com/servlet/t...-gloves/Detail
soyanarchisto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:05 AM   #2
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,567
Thanks for the review... i will try a pair.
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:12 PM   #3
underkill
Horsepower Junkie

Oddometer: 1,709
We have 3 pairs of these! I'd been searching for gloves forever and these were actually really comfortable. The venting works really well and they've held up great! I usually wear them offroad and mountain biking. The only downside I've found is that with one pair, part of the stitching that holds the vent on jabs me in one of the knuckles. For the price though, I think they've been worth it... and yeah, I got the sweet poser camo ones!
underkill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #4
rider1150gsadv
Fl Keys Fishing Guide

Oddometer: 5,912
Talking

Nice review! , certainly a good alternative to the BMW gloves..
What happened to your Rally suit??
My RP2 has 80K+ miles and a few get-offs on it and is still going strong..
rider1150gsadv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,056
I bought some Five Stunts a few months ago. I don't trust the Clarino palms on moto gloves when I ride on the street to get to a trail somewhere. So I wanted a short cuff glove with leather palms for dual sport riding. These were some of the few I found that fit the bill in what I was looking for. And they are priced right. Mine were about $45 on sale at Cycle Gear.

They fit me well. Are well ventilated for warm weather, and don't bunch up in the palms. They have suede on the sides, so it's easy to wipe of your visor or goggles. They are snug at the wrist....don't feel like they would pop off in a slide. I like the rubber logos on the fingers too for a little extra lever grip.

My only complaint so far is the leather is tearing around that carbon fiber looking palm pad. I'll post a a pic later.
Old 06-18-2010, 05:55 PM   #6
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

I promise to try and get some pics up this weekend...found a new hole in my gloves last night. Near the wrist, where the neoprene type material connect to the rest of the glove. Pretty sure it's from pulling them on when it hot and my hands are sweaty, but they shouldn't be tearing up that easily. I'm probably going to stop wearing these while risding on the street and go back to my full leather long cuff gloves. I don't feel very confident in the Stunts holding up very well after seeingthem come apart from several hundred miles of use.
Old 06-19-2010, 09:59 PM   #7
soyanarchisto OP
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by rider1150gsadv
Nice review! , certainly a good alternative to the BMW gloves..
What happened to your Rally suit??
My RP2 has 80K+ miles and a few get-offs on it and is still going strong..
the zippers are shit
Old 06-20-2010, 08:10 PM   #8
Ed Muggles
oh, the other left

Oddometer: 250
ive done 10k in my stunts in the last 4 months.. love them, i've finnally stopped wearing them, as it's just too cold in the mornings
other that that. i would recomend them to any one
Ed Muggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 12:18 PM   #9
BHW
Beastly Adventurer

Alright, here are my pics. The holes in the palms around the CF pad happened within the first few times I wore the gloves. These have not been down, never crashed. The edge of the CF pad just cuts the leather.

The secod spot is just where the stitching tore out, where the neoprene wrist wrap connects to the body of the glove. This is a simple fix with some thread and a needle. But the repair likely won't hold. This area is stressed when putting the gloves on my hands, especially if my hands are moist with sweat.

But other than those two things, I really like these gloves. They fit great, are very comfortable, vent well in warm weather, and allow great use of controls on the bike without bunching up in the palms. They will surely protect better than ANY MX glove on the market. And at about $50 are priced right.

Old 02-15-2013, 04:41 PM   #10
kalonji
nihilism or nothing

Oddometer: 1,769
Anyone seen any of these for sale lately. Mine are beyond toast and would like to replace but can't find them anywhere.
kalonji is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 05:33 AM   #11
thecdn
n00b

Oddometer: 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalonji View Post
Anyone seen any of these for sale lately. Mine are beyond toast and would like to replace but can't find them anywhere.
Another one? I found these gloves about 5 years ago at a local Cycle Gear and haven't seen them anywhere since. Can only find them on the web in Australia and Canada. Might just have to move back home to Canada if I can't find these gloves anywhere in the states....
thecdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 01:48 PM   #12
clintnz
Trans-Global Chook Chaser

Oddometer: 3,314
Another happy customer here. Got them from the local KTM dealer, was the first I have seen of them here. I've got about 3K miles on mine now & really like them. They are a good fit on my hands & I liked the carbon armour right where I have worn through gloves & lost skin in a couple of crashes in years past, so many gloves get the position of this reinforcement wrong.

One issue I have found with previous summer armoured gloves is that they are ok on the highway but when offroading & doing frequent fancy fingerwork fiddling the clutch-throttle-brake the hard bits start to get really uncomfortable. These have not had that problem at all through a quite a few big days of offroad action.

Cheers
Clint

The wilderness, the desert - why are they not crowded
.................................................. .....with pilgrims?
clintnz is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2013, 04:55 PM   #13
andrewhtf
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Kalonji,

Try see if you can find what you want here:
http://www.aliexpress.com/wholesale?...tId=0&manual=y

I am wearing this SF1 as my daily glove:
http://www.aliexpress.com/item/2012-...628745259.html

Coming off from gauntlet style glove, i felt my hand to be much more "exposed" and not as protected. But the tradeoff is that my fingers are much more flexible and makes it easier to do some stuffs like refuelling and fumbling for wallet without having to take off the glove. Nonetheless it is a daily use commuting glove, i still have another pair of gauntlet glove for weekend blasts.
andrewhtf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:40 PM   #14
xoul
n00b

Oddometer: 2
How about sizing

Hi, since Five Gloves are not available in the US I'm planning to order them online so how is the sizing on these?

I usually wear a Large on most brands, so is it going to be the same? I would wear a Medium if it's not because of my hand that is wide at the base.
xoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #15
soyanarchisto OP
Beastly Adventurer

I think they run a tad small.