User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-13-2010, 06:50 AM   #1
tkfell OP
tkfell

Oddometer: 42
is this battery trouble or more

my gs 800 i have not rode it for 2 weeks and the battery is the one that came in it it is about 18 mouths old i tryed to start and when i hit the button all power goes out nother if any one help i would like this thanks again ps can get the bike started it will not jump start is it the battery u thinks thanks for the help out there

tkfell screwed with this post 06-13-2010 at 11:40 AM
tkfell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2010, 07:22 AM   #2
Firefight911
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 997
Yep. battery.

Batteries are 2 year warranty items.
Old 06-13-2010, 10:29 AM   #3
myblubeemer
JWAT

Oddometer: 453
Same exact thing just happend to mine that is the same age......battery replaced under the 2 yr battery warranty. BMW just can't seem to get a dependable battery supplier.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkfell
my gs 800 i have not rode it for 2 weeks and the battery is the one that came in it it is about 18 mouths old i tryed to start and when i hit the button all power goes out nother if any one help i would like this thanks again

"I'm not sure what I do all day, but it takes me all day to do it!"
myblubeemer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 03:37 AM   #4
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
Dang........... I'd like to see some statistics on the failure rate of these batteries, it sure seems high but maybe that's just the internet talking....

I'm coming up on two years soon... The most common choices for a better choice are

1) Westco - like Rob sells:
http://f800depot.com/westco-battery-svr14-p-492.html

Or

2) If one is willing to modify the battery compartment, then the Odyssey.

Any other good options?
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:48 AM   #5
RamblerTim
Adventurer

Oddometer: 98
I bought the $20 charger at Walmart & my dealer told me to plug it in to charge overnight at least once every 30 days.
RamblerTim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:12 PM   #6
SoDak
Adventurer

Oddometer: 66
I had a wierd battery problem the other day. While riding the horn would beep (without me pressing the button), the headlight/lamp failure warning light came on (and the dim beam was not working), and none of the handlebar controls were working. A little while later the bike died (30 miles from the nearest town via gravel roads).

I hauled the bike to the local dealer and they said that the battery posts were loose. I've never heard of this before and it looks like that is another application for loctite.
SoDak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 05:43 PM   #7
JoelWisman
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,392
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoDak
I had a wierd battery problem the other day. While riding the horn would beep (without me pressing the button), the headlight/lamp failure warning light came on (and the dim beam was not working), and none of the handlebar controls were working. A little while later the bike died (30 miles from the nearest town via gravel roads).

I hauled the bike to the local dealer and they said that the battery posts were loose. I've never heard of this before and it looks like that is another application for loctite.
I wouldn't say it's an application for locktight because lock-tite is an insulator and one wants the best electrical conduction at the battery posts possible.

These terminals don't come loose on their own if propperly tightned.

Someone left your terminals loose, likely whoever PDI'd the bike at the dealer.
Owned to date. Honda Aero 50, Honda Elite 80, Honda Elite 250x2, Suzuki Katana, Suzuki RF600, Yamaha YZF1000R, Kymco Xciting 500, Suzuki GS500, Suzuki Burgman 650, BMW F800GSx2, BMW S1000RR, Aprilia Scarabeo 200, Aprilia Caponord, Aprilia Sportcity 250
I love and miss you Jeneca and I'm sorry.
JoelWisman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #8
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,115
When I added my 2nd gerbing lead set, I found that the thread engagement was no longer adequate and had to switch out the bolts to the next longer length ... if you have any extra accessories wired directly to the battery thread engagement is worth checking!
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote