ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 06:28 PM   #16
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,256
Quote:
Originally Posted by yawningfungus
I've edited my profile, please dont beat me.

Thanks
It really does help when we can see what bike-year and what country at least.
Old 06-14-2010, 11:44 PM   #17
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
Hmmm. Never thought about doing this little mod to my 950. I see the wiring in my diagrams. Nothing to lose to give it a try.
Funny thing is I just had that plug in my hands 2 days ago when I did my Torque Limiter update.
Since the 950 has a more physical way to control power in 2nd and 3d, I would find it strange if doing this cutting the wires thing would work for it. What this mod does is just fooling the 990 ECU into thinking you're not in 2nd or 3d gear so it allows full power. If you do try it, please comment on the result!
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:16 AM   #18
BartG
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 173
Fuel consumption??

The Akro map makes the fuel consumption even worse than standard no... so does this not have the same effect...?
BartG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 01:38 AM   #19
mynameis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 212
From what i understand,on the 950`s if you have already removed the EPC stuff and plugged the carb tops then you dont need to do this.See the HOW.

KTM 950SM
Suzuki DRZ400S
mynameis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #20
Bronco3738
Mike

Oddometer: 496
Quote:
Originally Posted by Master
Since the 950 has a more physical way to control power in 2nd and 3d, I would find it strange if doing this cutting the wires thing would work for it. What this mod does is just fooling the 990 ECU into thinking you're not in 2nd or 3d gear so it allows full power. If you do try it, please comment on the result!
I did mine while I was doing the Canisterectomy and the SAS removal. Definitely hits harder in second than it did before. But I can't say which mod did what, because I changed 3 things at once. Bike feels more lively when you open it up so who's to say. Can't hurt to try it. Just cut 2 wires. If you don't like it solder them back together.

Honeymoon Ride Report

Crazy Europeans Tour Utah
Bronco3738 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:25 AM   #21
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 3,060
I removed the secondary butterfly valves in the FI throttle body of my '07 990S, which is equivalent to cutting the wires on the 2nd-3rd gear sensor.

Couldn't find any noticeable difference in performance or power delivery.
Old 06-15-2010, 03:29 AM   #22
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by BartG
The Akro map makes the fuel consumption even worse than standard no... so does this not have the same effect...?
I noticed no change in fuel consumption

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vicks
I removed the secondary butterfly valves in the FI throttle body of my '07 990S, which is equivalent to cutting the wires on the 2nd-3rd gear sensor.

Couldn't find any noticeable difference in performance or power delivery.
I think removing the secondary butterfly valves affect more than doing the gear sensor mod. That being said, it seems to be a personal appreciation thing. Some people say thet don't feel any difference, other say their bike is much more alive in 2nd and 3d.

Maybe depends on driving style?
Old 06-15-2010, 03:32 AM   #23
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
The electronic part of the EPC triggers a solenoid on each carb to bleed the air through as I described earlier. If you haven't removed the EPC but want to try the mod out then the simple disconnect behind the panel is a good place to start.

For me, removing the SAS & EPC was a logical way to go as it adds nothing to the performance but does add complexity and therefore likelihood of failure to the bike. Much happier without the unnecessary junk!
Old 06-15-2010, 05:40 AM   #24
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
From what i understand,on the 950`s if you have already removed the EPC stuff and plugged the carb tops then you dont need to do this.See the HOW.
Got it! Already have all that done. I won't mess with it.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:32 AM   #25
happy pilgrim
n00b

Oddometer: 4
I have a 59 plate 990 adventure and I had to remove the belly pan to get at the battery to fit some more accessories. whilst there I thought I would do the mod? cannot find the plug at all? is it still there on 59 plate 990 ? or am I missing it somehow?
happy pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #26
kirb
should be out riding

Oddometer: 1,682
This is a much better way to go about the noise issue than what Buell did on the 1125 bikes...they installed a solenoid that actually pulls the throttle back when WFO in 3rd gear for noise concerns. It's not real smooth, either.

The solution there is to install a resistor in place of the solenoid. The KTM mod is much easier, but a neat harness could be installed between the two connectors in place of cutting wires.

I would suspect 100% that it impacts US bikes too.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:29 AM   #27
jamesbrown
Lefty tighty.

Oddometer: 6,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameis
Yes, that is correct.

If you haven't done the SAS/EPC, there's a couple of relevant posts about disabling the 2nd/3rd gear sensor on the H.O.W.:

http://www.ktm950.info/how/wotf/wotf...icPowerControl
jamesbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:09 AM   #28
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy pilgrim
I have a 59 plate 990 adventure and I had to remove the belly pan to get at the battery to fit some more accessories. whilst there I thought I would do the mod? cannot find the plug at all? is it still there on 59 plate 990 ? or am I missing it somehow?
It should be there... are you looking in the right place? Best way to find the connector is to start off from the gear sensor (located right at the base of the sidestand) and then follow the wire until you find the connector. The connector should be right in front of the engine case.
Old 06-15-2010, 08:11 AM   #29
happy pilgrim
n00b

Oddometer: 4
Quote:
It should be there... are you looking in the right place? Best way to find the connector is to start off from the gear sensor (located right at the base of the sidestand) and then follow the wire until you find the connector. The connector should be right in front of the engine case.
thanks, will have another look tonight. buggered if I could see it this morning though?
happy pilgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:57 AM   #30
9nine0
Formally NineFive0 V2

Oddometer: 402
The 2nd and 3rd gear limiter ONLY affects the very last % of throttle opening in 2nd and 3rd gear. It WILL NOT affect any performance "off idle or midrange" it will not make it feel "more lively or peppy" unless you are at 100% wide open throttle.

basically, before the mod your throttle opened 97% of maximum and after the mod it now opens 100% (yes the difference is about that small)

hope this helps,

cheers