User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 09:19 AM   #46
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,157
Mod on 2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Just completed. Somewhat of a step by step below. Did it make a difference - MOST DEFINITELY!!! Noticed the acceleration and seemed to smooth out some of my FI stumbles (I've also removed the secondary butterflies)

Remove the left plastic portion of the bash plate - makes it easier.

Locate the correct plug - there are two in this location. On my '07, the wire color that must remain is the green.

I then poked out the wires from the connector instead of cutting them. To remove them, press outside in (or top down) with a small screwdriver similar to those used for eyeglasses or possibly a large paper clip.
I chose to remove the wires coming from the main harness versus the ones on the other side of the connector (which are blue/yellow in the above pic)

Once the wires/connectors are removed from the plug, I used some heat shrink covering to seal them off and zip tied the three wires together.

Hope this helps. Made a big difference for me. I havent yet logged a bunch of miles on this bike but noticed the difference immediately on a short test drive.
teambft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 02:25 PM   #47
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,070
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambft
Just completed. Somewhat of a step by step below. Did it make a difference - MOST DEFINITELY!!! Noticed the acceleration and seemed to smooth out some of my FI stumbles (I've also removed the secondary butterflies)

Remove the left plastic portion of the bash plate - makes it easier.

Locate the correct plug - there are two in this location. On my '07, the wire color that must remain is the green.

I then poked out the wires from the connector instead of cutting them. To remove them, press outside in (or top down) with a small screwdriver similar to those used for eyeglasses or possibly a large paper clip.
I chose to remove the wires coming from the main harness versus the ones on the other side of the connector (which are blue/yellow in the above pic)

Once the wires/connectors are removed from the plug, I used some heat shrink covering to seal them off and zip tied the three wires together.

Hope this helps. Made a big difference for me. I havent yet logged a bunch of miles on this bike but noticed the difference immediately on a short test drive.
Thanks for the pics, it helps ('07 for me too). I'm gonna do this in the next few days, just haven't had a chance to get in there, been too busy riding! Even if it only helps during WOT it'll be worth it, but it seems it helps all around, so even better.
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 10:03 AM   #48
flytier
Refusing to grow up

Oddometer: 87
I was unaware that later models had the speed limiter !!, anybody else have any thoughts?
flytier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:13 PM   #49
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

One question that I don't think has been asked yet:

Does this sensor we're disabling have anything to do with the rev-limiter?

I don't think so, but would just like to confirm. I figure the rev-limiter is pretty important...
Old 06-21-2010, 01:43 PM   #50
boat.man OP
Chief bottle washer

Oddometer: 163
Nope. it just tells the computer that it is in either 2nd or 3rd gear and it must change the map. Now the computer just never knows that your in one of those gears. no down side that i can find!
2 sleds
lets go play!!
boat.man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 02:04 PM   #51
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by boat.man
Nope. it just tells the computer that it is in either 2nd or 3rd gear and it must change the map. Now the computer just never knows that your in one of those gears. no down side that i can find!
That's what I was hoping to hear!
Old 06-21-2010, 03:21 PM   #52
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,109
Quote:
Originally Posted by motomal
The electronic part of the EPC triggers a solenoid on each carb to bleed the air through as I described earlier. If you haven't removed the EPC but want to try the mod out then the simple disconnect behind the panel is a good place to start.

For me, removing the SAS & EPC was a logical way to go as it adds nothing to the performance but does add complexity and therefore likelihood of failure to the bike. Much happier without the unnecessary junk!
From what I can remember and looking at the SE wiring diagram there are no solenoids on the 950 carbs? Carb heater, yes.

Looking at the diagram the 2nd and 3rd switch connects to the ECU and the only other input associated with the carbs is from the throttle sensor body.

Not sure about noise emission? But calming throttle response in 2nd and 3rd by the ignition is not such a bad thing, smoother throttle; nothing indicates any other restriction mechanically.

I doubt that at full throttle the timing would be restricted and retarded until the point of rev limiter, so the difference in performance would be felt at low end revs straight off the throttle and not top end. So I donít really see the point.
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:17 PM   #53
1911fan
Master of the Obvious

Oddometer: 2,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264
...so the difference in performance would be felt at low end revs straight off the throttle and not top end. So I donít really see the point.
Check out the RPM/torque chart on page one in the SuperDuke forum linked in the first post. With the noise and power restricting map disabled, power output is almost doubled between 5000rpm and 8000 rpm, if I'm reading the chart right. (EDIT: I'm not, it's really only about a 5% gain.)
This is a European noise reduction effort, it tells the ECU to use a different map in second and third gear. If you spend any time between 5000 and 8000 rpm (I do!) the difference should be noticeable. I'll let you know.

Further edit: I wasn't sure about the scale on the left and I'm off by orders of magnitude- somebody smarter than me caught it just below this post.

1911fan

Sometimes the light to see your way forward is provided by the bridge burning behind you.

1911fan screwed with this post 06-22-2010 at 06:54 PM
1911fan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 08:42 PM   #54
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan
If you spend any time between 5000 and 8000 rpm (I do!) the difference should be noticeable.

1911fan
I do too! Oh yes indeedy...

I did the deed, have to arrange a test drive tomorrow and see if I can tell a diff...
Old 06-21-2010, 10:32 PM   #55
Vicks
I love sand !!!

Oddometer: 2,962
Hey, arent the 2nd & 3rd gear sensors only linked to the EPC valves in the throttle body to slow their opening in case of abrupt opening of the throttle in those gears ? I haven't read anything about them changing the fuel/ignition maps !!!
No beautiful body soft and warm to the touch but, i have a very small desire
Give me a dark... long... winding road, three gears to go and my Hellas on fire !!
Vicks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:34 AM   #56
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,262
OK Magdabbit!
Does this do anything for us with 950 that has had the emission crap removed?
I haven 't taken the time to tear into the plug.
Has somebody done it on a 950 and what was the result?
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:33 AM   #57
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1911fan
Check out the RPM/torque chart on page one in the SuperDuke forum linked in the first post. With the noise and power restricting map disabled, power output is almost doubled between 5000rpm and 8000 rpm,
Quote:
if I'm reading the chart right. NO.
(EDIT: I'm not, it's really only about a 50% gain.)
This is a European noise reduction effort, it tells the ECU to use a different map in second and third gear. If you spend any time between 5000 and 8000 rpm (I do!) the difference should be noticeable. I'll let you know.

1911fan
Taking a mean from the graph posted on the super duke forum, between 3000-7000rpm. Torque increased from 63.5mkg to 66.7mkg, that’s an increase of 5% not 50. And power, 65.4PS to 67.7PS that’s an increase of 3.5%, again not 50.

If the graph represents that, looks more like an after market exhaust linear graph.

You’ll probable notice more power increase on a cool damp morning.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:09 PM   #58
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
OK Magdabbit!
Does this do anything for us with 950 that has had the emission crap removed?
I haven 't taken the time to tear into the plug.
Has somebody done it on a 950 and what was the result?

If youíve removed the EPC valves etc, this mod wonít make any difference.
Iím going to disconnect the EPC tomorrow and tests and then try disconnecting the gear sensor switch to see if the ECU makes any difference.
Old 06-22-2010, 03:52 PM   #59
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,262
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264
If youíve removed the EPC valves etc, this mod wonít make any difference.
Iím going to disconnect the EPC tomorrow and tests and then try disconnecting the gear sensor switch to see if the ECU makes any difference.
All my stuff was off when I got the bike. Your post got me to look in the HOW to be sure my EPC was gone. Sure enough yes. Now I know what that strange connector that I found when I put my bike back together was for. I spent quite some time looking for anything on the front of the motor that it should plug into.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:20 PM   #60
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,519
Confused

I am pretty confused with this thread, since yours is already disabled how does the your bike run? Double the power?, 50% more power?, 20% more?, 3% more? The claims in thread are all over the place. I thought that it only restricted full throttle operation in 2nd and 3rd gear, or is it a different map for the 990's? Euro only? All bikes/years?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dad2bike
All my stuff was off when I got the bike. Your post got me to look in the HOW to be sure my EPC was gone. Sure enough yes. Now I know what that strange connector that I found when I put my bike back together was for. I spent quite some time looking for anything on the front of the motor that it should plug into.
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote