Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-22-2010, 05:43 PM   #61
udhawg
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by catalina38
I am pretty confused with this thread, since yours is already disabled how does the your bike run? Double the power?, 50% more power?, 20% more?, 3% more? The claims in thread are all over the place. I thought that it only restricted full throttle operation in 2nd and 3rd gear, or is it a different map for the 990's? Euro only? All bikes/years?
On my 07 the power difference was noticeable, but no where near a 50% increase. What I noticed more was the hesitation was pretty much all gone. I am running the stock cans but have the SAS and canisterectomy done.
(KTM) Kronreif, Trunkenpolz, Mattighofen
udhawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:50 PM   #62
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Did this mod.What i noticed most was the throttle snatch was now practically gone
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:56 PM   #63
catalina38
Contrarian

Oddometer: 1,525
In every gear? or just 2nd and 3rd? My 2010 R does'nt have the snatch so I am curious if this mod is beneficial for my 990

Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri
Did this mod.What i noticed most was the throttle snatch was now practically gone
catalina38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 08:27 PM   #64
DC1200
KTM 990R Adv

Oddometer: 61
Just a thought, does this wiring have something to do with some sort of timing retard setting within the ECU programming?

I've heard of a mod done to Suzuki SV1000s called a timing retard eliminator (T.R.E) that alters the ignition timing curve, and frees up a bit more poke in the lower gears. Apparently lightens the front end somewhat, too.

The 990 mod sounds like it does something similar perhaps?

Haven't done the T.R.E to my SV yet, but will probably do the wiring mod to the 990 soon. Anyone know if the Australian models would benefit from this mod?

Cheers, Dan.
DC1200 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:13 PM   #65
bush-pig
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Quote:
In every gear? or just 2nd and 3rd? My 2010 R does'nt have the snatch so I am curious if this mod is beneficial for my 990
I'm also curious about this mod on a 2010 990 R? Cant say it lacks any power in 2nd or 3rd but hey more is better right
‘Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in an attractive well preserved body; rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly worn out, covered in scars and screaming “yahoo! What a ride!”

KTM990 Adv R, KTM RC8R, HUSABERG TE300
bush-pig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:37 PM   #66
Master
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 336
Quote:
Originally Posted by bush-pig
I'm also curious about this mod on a 2010 990 R? Cant say it lacks any power in 2nd or 3rd but hey more is better right
Really guys, just give it a try, it's 10 minutes of work (lower skidplate, search cable, undo connector, push out plates, tape it all up and remount skidplate), then go for a ride, if you don't like it, just plug the plates back into the connector and you're done.
This mod only affects 2nd an 3d gear and although the difference is noticeable, it's not overwhelming. Also, the '09 and '10 models seem to suffer less from the snatchy throttle thing than earlier 990's. Might have something to do with them being factory-outfitted with a 16t front sprocket.
Master is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 01:38 PM   #67
Dualsport Crazy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 107
Folks.....Has any of you tried this mod on a 2010 R with Akro's on.Plzzz let me know if there is a big difference.

Thanks
Dualsport Crazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 04:54 PM   #68
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Seems to have cleared it up in all gears. I say go for it,there seems to be no downside to this mod . My connector was almost inaccessible to pull apart so i just cut them. I left enough wire on both sides so i could reconnect if necessary but i see no reason to.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 05:40 PM   #69
capitalistbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
I've got the 3 wire connector apart but am struggling with pushing the 2 pins out. I too would like to be able to reverse this mod for warranty work. The photo shows the wire and connecting pin removed from inside the connector to the outside. I've used a very small jewelers screwdriver to push the pin and wire out from the inside of the connector with no success. Are you pushing on the base of the metal pin that you can see inside the connector or are you inserting the paper clip/screwdriver past the pin base? The pin must have some kind of latching mechanism that I don't seem to be dis-engaging. Frustrating 'cause I'm obviously missing something stupid simple.
capitalistbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 06:13 PM   #70
capitalistbiker
Adventurer

Oddometer: 19
Finally got the pins pushed out !!!!! I was only pushing with enough force to not bend a fairly large paper clip as that was what was used by others. In my case I had to push the screwdriver way harder than a paperclip would withstand. The tolerances on how these pins lock in to the connector housing must vary as it was quite a bit easier for others.
capitalistbiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2010, 07:26 PM   #71
bush-pig
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualsport Crazy
Folks.....Has any of you tried this mod on a 2010 R with Akro's on.Plzzz let me know if there is a big difference.

Thanks
OK just did this mod on my 2010 990 R. I have not done anything except for changing out the stock cans and put a set of wings in their place. Like the wings I would say this mod on the 990 R had marginal gains. Honestly I just came back from a lot of 2nd and 3rd gear test runs and .... well maybe I expected too much. BUT while I was doing all these test runs I adjusted the throttle cables also, to the point where I have virtually no head snapping. I have adjusted the pull cable before and that took care of most of the snatchyness when opening the throttle. But it still had the head snap when you close the throttle. A friend told me he eliminated his throttle issues simply by adjusting both the pull and push cables of the throttle. Well it took six turns out (counter clockwise) to get he push cable to be smooth. Open and closing the throttle now is like you would expect on any bike. FINALLY!! I figured you should be able (without riding) to use the accelarator/throttle on any car or bike and bring the rpm up to a point and slowly back down again. Well untill I adjusted the push (furthest away from you) cable six turns out, I was not able to do that. Then took it for another test run and you cant believe the difference. Past 6 turns out(from where it was set when I picked it up) it became sluggish to return to idle. But play around and its pretty easy to find a happy medium. M2CW...
‘Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving in an attractive well preserved body; rather to skid in sideways, body thoroughly worn out, covered in scars and screaming “yahoo! What a ride!”

Old 06-24-2010, 04:50 AM   #72
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,698
Bush Pig,
So how much play do you have on the front pull cable?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bush-pig
OK just did this mod on my 2010 990 R. I have not done anything except for changing out the stock cans and put a set of wings in their place. Like the wings I would say this mod on the 990 R had marginal gains. Honestly I just came back from a lot of 2nd and 3rd gear test runs and .... well maybe I expected too much. BUT while I was doing all these test runs I adjusted the throttle cables also, to the point where I have virtually no head snapping. I have adjusted the pull cable before and that took care of most of the snatchyness when opening the throttle. But it still had the head snap when you close the throttle. A friend told me he eliminated his throttle issues simply by adjusting both the pull and push cables of the throttle. Well it took six turns out (counter clockwise) to get he push cable to be smooth. Open and closing the throttle now is like you would expect on any bike. FINALLY!! I figured you should be able (without riding) to use the accelarator/throttle on any car or bike and bring the rpm up to a point and slowly back down again. Well untill I adjusted the push (furthest away from you) cable six turns out, I was not able to do that. Then took it for another test run and you cant believe the difference. Past 6 turns out(from where it was set when I picked it up) it became sluggish to return to idle. But play around and its pretty easy to find a happy medium. M2CW...
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 09:28 AM   #73
bush-pig
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hipster
Bush Pig,
So how much play do you have on the front pull cable?
When I set it up initially I did it according to the manual and set it at 5mm play I think. But after adjusting the push cable yesterday the pull cable has maybe 2-3mm play.

Old 06-24-2010, 02:49 PM   #74
DirtyRoadie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 124
OK, I went out today and (sorry hardcore guys) washed my big orange beast then did this free mod. I have to be honest I feel absolutely no difference, so I'm glad it was free. I tried the throttle tube/cam thing when I first got the bike in an attempt to tame the throttle snatch, all that did was take 70 bucks out of my rear tire account but it does look cool all red and anodized. Like BushPig above I was able to smooth the throttle by adjusting some of the play out of the throttle cables.
DirtyRoadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 02:56 PM   #75
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,230
This must be a 990 EFI eventful thing.

Disconnected the gear sensor on my 950SE carbed, leaving neutral, if anything the engine isn’t as progressively smooth in 2nd and 3rd, feel like it wants to rev faster but slightly less torque. Make me think the ECU has bigger part to play than just opening the EPC.

Replaced the gear sensor, removed the tank and disconnected the EPC front and back. Bike seems to have a little more oomph but as I tested when it was cooler in the evening could be nothing at all, makes me think that the ECU isn’t operating the EPC at all.

Perhaps there are different maps for the euro bikes, the documents for my SE says it was destined for Italy?

This is from the manual.

The ECU receives a ground from the gear sensor 4 via the gray (2nd gear) or via the violet/brown (3rd gear) cable if one of the two gears is engaged.

If the throttle grip is opened all the way (which the ECU recognizes via the TPS 5) at a certain speed (or a certain number of revolutions) in 2nd or 3rd gear, the ECU activates the ground control of the EPC valves.

Subsequently, the EPC valves will open an air connection to the carburettor diaphragm covers. A controlled amount of fresh air can be sucked into the space above the diaphragm, reducing the vacuum over the carburettor diaphragm. This causes the carburettor slides to open more slowly resulting in a lower air-gap area to be sucked in through the engine. The engine performance and noise are significantly reduced.

NOTE: if the EPC valves are disconnected, this will not influence the other systems.
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote