Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-24-2010, 07:13 PM   #76
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Giving this mod a big .. Had a few extra minutes this evening so I gave it a shot.Hammering it thru the first 3 gears seemed a lot smoother,but the real test was doing full lock figure 8s in the field.No drama ...

....and to think at one point I was going to sell it and keep the KLR..

This bike was almost unrideable when I purchased it with a mere 300 miles on it.I'm pretty sure the first owner was probably hospitalized from the whiplash... Now after the fork,g-2,16t,and o-ring mods it rocks and the "free mod" is just icing on the cake...

I didn't ride far enough to really get a good evaluation on the "hesitation",but never noticed any this evening.It may rear its ugly head on a longer ride,but even if its still there I still feel this mod makes the bike a lot smoother at low speeds.

07 990 EFI....

big-t screwed with this post 06-25-2010 at 08:24 AM
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 06:24 AM   #77
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,071
Quote:
Originally Posted by big-t
Giving this mod a big .. Had a few extra minutes this evening so I gave it a shot.Hammering it thru the first 3 gears seemed a lot smoother,but the real test was doing full lock figure 8s in the field.No drama ...

....and to think at one point I was going to sell it and keep the KLR..

This bike was almost unrideable when I purchased it with a mere 300 miles on it.I'm pretty sure the first owner was probably hospitalized from the whiplash... Now after the fork,g-2,16t,and o-ring mods it rocks and the "free mod" is just icing on the cake...

I didn't ride far enough to really get a good evaluation on the "hesitation",but never noticed any this evening.It may rear its ugly head on a longer ride,but even if its still there I still feel this mod makes the bike a lot smoother at low speeds.
990 EFI or 950 Carbed ?????
Old 06-25-2010, 06:50 AM   #78
Dusty
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,168
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264
990 EFI or 950 Carbed ?????
Ya know it's just so hard for people to fill out their profile.
Old 06-25-2010, 07:10 AM   #79
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,231
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty
Ya know it's just so hard for people to fill out their profile.
It helps all if that stuff just lives in your signature too.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:16 AM   #80
garfield
Garfield

Oddometer: 41
help[

trying to do this (easy) mod but having trouble. (08 adv) my wires are black, blue, and red. no green. WTF
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:23 AM   #81
big-t
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 471
Quote:
990 EFI or 950 Carbed ????? __________________
Sorry bout dat. ....07 990 EFI

Quote:
trying to do this (easy) mod but having trouble. (08 adv) my wires are black, blue, and red. no green. WTF
There are 2 connectors......sure you got the right one??
big-t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 09:47 AM   #82
Hipster
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,686
I did the mod a few days ago on my '08 990. You might be looking at the wrong connector, there are several 3 wire connectors in that area of the bike.
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfield
Hipster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:25 PM   #83
teambft
teambft

Oddometer: 1,151
Garfield - you got the wrong connector for sure....should be another connector stuffed behind or to the right of it.
teambft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:04 PM   #84
dad2bike
Cranky Old Fart

Oddometer: 3,231
Here's a post that had great pics of what you should be looking for.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teambft
Just completed. Somewhat of a step by step below. Did it make a difference - MOST DEFINITELY!!! Noticed the acceleration and seemed to smooth out some of my FI stumbles (I've also removed the secondary butterflies)

Remove the left plastic portion of the bash plate - makes it easier.

Locate the correct plug - there are two in this location. On my '07, the wire color that must remain is the green.

I then poked out the wires from the connector instead of cutting them. To remove them, press outside in (or top down) with a small screwdriver similar to those used for eyeglasses or possibly a large paper clip.
I chose to remove the wires coming from the main harness versus the ones on the other side of the connector (which are blue/yellow in the above pic)

Once the wires/connectors are removed from the plug, I used some heat shrink covering to seal them off and zip tied the three wires together.

Hope this helps. Made a big difference for me. I havent yet logged a bunch of miles on this bike but noticed the difference immediately on a short test drive.
My2Wheels
690 WIKI
dad2bike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 03:35 PM   #85
hontri
Global Bummer!

Oddometer: 293
Quote:
Did my 08 the other night.Trace the wires back from the kickstand area.One is for the kickstand cutoff switch, the other is the one you want.Trace it back to black connector.It is tucked up tight in there.I was unable to get enough slack to pull apart so i cut it. There are 3 wires coming out of this connector.Do not cut the pale green one(neutral light wire) cut other two and your good to go.Tape or heat shrink so they don't short out.
hontri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 08:38 PM   #86
garfield
Garfield

Oddometer: 41
Eureka, I have found it. My 10 minute up-grade only took me two hours. Thank you for your help! Much appreciated.
garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 11:48 AM   #87
SSrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Quote:
Wrong wires. There are two set of wires, check out the other set. Ignore the color of the clip. Mine was a different color clip but had the correct wires.

KTM 990
KTM 640
KTM 520
KTM 380
KAW klx650
Honda xr75
Honda trail 50
SSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:00 PM   #88
SSrider
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 115
Okay..just got done with this mod. 2 words. HOLY SHIT !!! mine is an 09 990efi. Cruised up to 2nd gear at about between 45 and 50 mph and then PINNED it. (Insert holy shit here) The bike SHOT forward SO fast that for a second I thought I got rear ended. The front end stayed down BUT the rear wheel fishtailed back and forth about eight inches or so. Hit third, throttle PINNED and the whole thing just continued until I somewhere above 75mph (by this time I wasnt looking at the speedo much) fishtailing the entire time. The whole thing happen in about 4 seconds. Crazy mod. It truly unleashed the beast.

KTM 990
KTM 640
KTM 520
KTM 380
KAW klx650
Honda xr75
Honda trail 50
SSrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2010, 06:24 AM   #89
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,071
What kinda results are you getting with the N2O off.
Old 06-28-2010, 12:21 PM   #90
JohnGalt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 75
Quote:
Originally Posted by hontri
Did my 08 the other night.Trace the wires back from the kickstand area.One is for the kickstand cutoff switch, the other is the one you want.Trace it back to black connector.It is tucked up tight in there.I was unable to get enough slack to pull apart so i cut it. There are 3 wires coming out of this connector.Do not cut the pale green one(neutral light wire) cut other two and your good to go.Tape or heat shrink so they don't short out.
I have an '08 as well, and can't seem to get enough slack to get good access to the connector. I would rather push the pins out instead of cutting the wires, but at this point that might be my only option. Any tips on getting that connector apart? I do see the tab you need to press, but it is of course on the inside part of the connector making it even more difficult. Do you think I could pull the pins out without having the connector apart?
JohnGalt is offline   Reply With Quote