ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-14-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
Doowrah OP
Rogue Fleener

Oddometer: 50
Million Dollar Highway but i hate heights!

So I'm sitting in Idaho Springs thinking of heading out in the morning for Ouray and Durango when I google some pics. Now I don't do well with heights and I guess I hadn't thought about the drop offs. Is that road as evil scary steep as it looks with no guard rails? I just don't want to get up in the mountains and lock up. I don't do well with being on a second story roof let alone a 1000 foot cliff.
Old 06-14-2010, 09:46 PM   #2
Hondo
What if its a Samsquamch?

Oddometer: 9,367
It's not that big of a deal unless you ride off the side of the road -

Really, it's a nice, twisty 2 lane road with great views.

Just watch out for sand, rocks and traffic coming from the opposite direction.

"Life's an adventure, and I refuse to live a boring one."

Hondo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 09:51 PM   #3
RockyMtnScotsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
here you go, watch this full screen and decide:

http://www.hulu.com/watch/118386/dan...way#s-p2-so-i0

Speed Channel's episode of Dangerous Drives about the Million Dollar Highway
RockyMtnScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:10 PM   #4
Geek
oot & aboot

Oddometer: 30,797
From Silverton to Ouray do it south to north so you are on the "inside"

Seriously though.. that TV show is awfully sensationalistic. I'm afraid of heights but the million dollar isn't bad.. you are on quality pavement so when you get to parts with exposure just focus on the double yellow. They drive 18 wheelers on it safely every day.. its not like Deals' Gap where you have people coming at you head on in blind corners.

Don't be tempted to go over Black Bear Pass though (its half way between Silverton & Ouray)

Geek screwed with this post 06-14-2010 at 10:16 PM
Geek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 10:27 PM   #5
Doowrah OP
Rogue Fleener

My crackberry won't play the hulu link, probably a good thing! Geek that pic you posted makes my taint hurt! Good thing its a small screen or I may have fallen off my bar stool.
Old 06-14-2010, 10:43 PM   #6
RockyMtnScotsman
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 339
Geek's right - the show does hype it up but that edge isn't CGI. In good weather it's an unforgettable ride that's not to be missed IMO.

Go

If you don't you'll always kick yourself wondering what you've missed.

RockyMtnScotsman screwed with this post 06-14-2010 at 10:51 PM
RockyMtnScotsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 11:36 PM   #7
Doowrah OP
Rogue Fleener

Yea, I intend to suck it up and do the run. It will make Kansas worth it. Any of you good folks have weather information? I have been getting my arse kicked by weather since I hit Colorado and would rather not hit snow up there.
Old 06-15-2010, 06:07 AM   #8
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,025
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowrah
Yea, I intend to suck it up and do the run. It will make Kansas worth it. Any of you good folks have weather information? I have been getting my arse kicked by weather since I hit Colorado and would rather not hit snow up there.

Its supposed to be nice the next three or four days, maybe a little breezy, but no rain or snow. This could all change if someone buys a new bike though.

I know the older guy (dad) in the dangerous drives show, he used to be a PE teacher at my school...Mr. Wilson!!
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 06:53 AM   #9
Doowrah OP
Rogue Fleener

Great woke up after a night of dreams involving driving off high ledges. Nice start to the day. I know I sound like a massive sissy, and probably am but I'm still unsure. I get around stuff like that and I feel like I'm being sucked over the side. I can't be the only person that gets that way. It sucks.
Old 06-15-2010, 07:10 AM   #10
Blacknblue
"I'm outa' here."

Oddometer: 1,522
Quote:
Great woke up after a night of dreams involving driving off high ledges. Nice start to the day. I know I sound like a massive sissy, and probably am but I'm still unsure. I get around stuff like that and I feel like I'm being sucked over the side. I can't be the only person that gets that way. It sucks.

Turn it into a flying dream and you're good to go.

I had a dream about a massive earthquake that was turning my building into rubble as I awoke.

Anyway: A road is a road is a road. . .
Blacknblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:23 AM   #11
Tilt2turn
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 420
Your bike will go exactly where you are looking. Stay focused on the road, and don't lock your gaze on the rocks, the edge, the shoulder, etc. Focus on where you want the bike to go.
It is a beautiful area, so stop often and enjoy the mountain air!
Tilt2turn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 08:01 AM   #12
cptmoney
Two wheels, only one seat

Oddometer: 544
I rode Red Mountain/Molas/Coal Bank one spring day...and it was SNOWING.

I was terrified! Fortunately, the other rider I was with had stones of steel, so we just pressed on nice and slowly. Made it just fine - but I was one scared mutha.

You'll be fine. That ride is absolutely spectacular.
cptmoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 05:29 PM   #13
Bill Shanks
Stumbler

Oddometer: 662
Some free advice to flatlanders coming up to the mountains:

1) Watch the weather. It will change fast and with little warning. In the summer, it will usually start off beautiful, clear and cool, then warm up and maybe get hot. In the early afternoon it will cloud over and there will often be a thunderstorm. It will usually clear up before a beautiful sunset and get cold at night. It can and does snow every month of the year. The hail can get 6" deep. Make allowances for weather changes and be flexible. Rain washes sand, gravel and large boulders on the road. Have gear with you for snow in the 30s and sun near 100. It will be summer in Denver and winter on Mt. Evans around 40 miles and about 9000 feet of elevation away. Beware of lightning, especially above timberline.

2) The altitude takes a couple days to get used to. Take your time, get plenty of sleep, and drink much more water than at home. Go easy on the alcohol. Take time to get off the bike and stretch your legs. Have a flexible schedule and if you get a headache or nausea or are short of breath, stop and don't get back on the bike until you feel better. Altitude sickness is real, common, and can be life-threatening.

3) 200+ miles a day might be easy around home, but it is different in the mountains. This is the destination, not the trip to get there. Do plan to do some hiking. Even short hikes get you away from the crowds and offer a wide range of experiences you miss from the saddle of a motorcycle. The best plan is no plan at all. When you come to a fork in the road, take it. There are no secret "best" or "most scenic" roads. Every road west of I-25 (and a few east!) is a good road. Explore!

4) There are deer and 1000 pound elk and they are out there waiting to kill you. Try to avoid riding early in the morning, at dusk, or at night. There are more critters on the road than you can imagine. Too many motorcyclists are killed by deer every year.

5) Our roads are fun, but keep the speeds within reason. On blind right-handers, assume there is a dead horse in the road just out of sight. There just may be, along with the gravel that washed on the road during last night’s thunderstorm. In the summer, the roads are packed with locals, RVs, trucks, sheep and cattle drives and other tourists. With all the traffic, deer, road washouts, construction, idiot tourists who do not know how to drive (or ride) in the mountains, incredible views and other dangers, you have to be extra careful.

6) If you want to ride your motorcycle over some high mountain 4x4 pass, be sure you know road conditions and have the skills. Baby-head sized rocks and three foot deep ruts at a steep angle are tough at 10,500 feet elevation or higher. Don’t do it alone. Be able to fix things, especially flats. Stay on the roads!

Old 06-15-2010, 07:03 PM   #14
* SHAG *
Unstable

Oddometer: 4,338
I took this vid a few years ago. Turn volume down..

05-GS- Rock Red 92k
06-GS- Dakar-40k Sold
* SHAG * is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 07:45 PM   #15
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,025
Quote:

It sure was a nice day for a ride!!
enduro-ince is offline   Reply With Quote