ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > The Rockies – It's all downhill from here...
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-11-2014, 11:06 AM   #31
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
The only time that road sucks is in winter while snowing and driving at night.
Old 08-11-2014, 12:01 PM   #32
jslyter
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doowrah View Post
Great woke up after a night of dreams involving driving off high ledges. Nice start to the day. I know I sound like a massive sissy, and probably am but I'm still unsure. I get around stuff like that and I feel like I'm being sucked over the side. I can't be the only person that gets that way. It sucks.
Read this to see what you thought, and nothing. Did I miss the update, did you ride it?

The Mrs. and I are going to eastern TN to visit some of her family. Taking the bikes so we can check off BRP, the Dragon, Cherholla etc. She is on another forum and so many people there could not stress enough that on the Dragon there are "NO GUARDRAILS". Funny how where you live gives you a different perspective on those kinds of things.
jslyter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 12:11 PM   #33
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proveick View Post
The only time that road sucks is in winter while snowing and driving at night.
The only time that road sucks is when the terrified southbound cager decides he needs to put two of HIS wheels into YOUR lane.

No road in ANY condition, in ANY weather has ever caused me as much injury as bad DRIVERS.
Old 08-11-2014, 01:26 PM   #34
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,408
Quote:
Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post

Bummer, that used to be a passing zone.
They added the double yellow after the recent construction.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:17 PM   #35
UtahNoob
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Bummer, that used to be a passing zone.
They added the double yellow after the recent construction.
I just rode that stretch this weekend. Bought a weestrom in Albuquerque and rode it back to Salt Lake City.
I may have used that as a passing zone.
UtahNoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2014, 03:02 PM   #36
enduro-ince
dirtslave

Oddometer: 5,025
weirdness on the pass awhile back..

from our local paper.

OURAY COUNTY – Authorities have concluded their investigation and released the name of a man who died in a motorcycle crash on Red Mountain Pass on the evening of July 15, but for one eyewitness who saw it happen, troubling questions still remain about the circumstances behind the accident.

Teus Abbas Jr., 59, was a retired county worker from Yuma, Ariz., according to Colorado State Patrol Sergeant Chad Martin. Due to difficulties locating the victim’s next of kin, Martin and fellow investigators delayed publicly releasing Abbas’s name until July 24, when they finally located a sister, Cynthia Ann Houser of Monterey, Calif.

“I have never had a search for next of kin go on that long,” Martin said.

Initially, due to his unusual name, authorities believed that Abbas, an American citizen, may have been of Middle Eastern descent. But genealogical research showed that the surname has both Middle Eastern, and Dutch, origins.

“He didn’t look Middle Eastern at all,” Martin added.

Friends reported that Abbas frequently traveled to the San Juan mountains to ride his motorcycle. He had been camping alone in Ironton Park, where authorities found his car, motorcycle trailer and camp site, undisturbed, several days after the accident.

Martin believes that Abbas was traveling at speeds of 60-65 mph in a 25 mph zone on the windy, exposed section of U.S. 550/Red Mountain Pass known locally as the Ruby Walls when he came into a sharp corner at mile marker 89.8 and skidded off the road, plummeting 140 feet to his death.

His bike, a 1999 Suzuki DX 650, came to a rest on top of him.

Vivian Norris, a documentary filmmaker based in New Orleans, was an eyewitness to the accident. She, her fiancé Charles Chamberlain and their three children, were on a road trip and had just started heading up Red Mountain Pass out of Ouray, with the goal of getting to Durango on Tuesday night, July 15.

However, after maneuvering the hair-raising Ruby Walls in their big Suburban, they realized it would likely be a “hellish drive”, and decided to turn around.

“Just as we headed back down towards Ouray and were approaching this sharp curve, my fiancé’s son said, ‘Oh, My God,’” Norris recalled. She and her daughter looked out in time to see the back tire and red taillight of a motorcycle going over the cliff.

“There was quite a bit of dust and at first I thought it was a rock slide and that the motorcyclist had been hit by a falling rock,” she said. (The accident occurred just south of the rockfall zone at mile marker 90 where a massive rockslide shut down Red Mountain Pass for weeks last winter.)

The kids started “screaming and crying – they had never seen anything like that before,” Norris said. As they drove by the scene of the accident, Norris and her family slowed down and saw a second southbound motorcyclist approaching.

“He was riding right behind the guy, and he stopped and looked over the edge, literally as the guy was still falling,” Norris recalled.

Norris and her family did not stop, as “it was on a very sharp curve and someone could have hit us if we stopped, and we had a small child who was petrified by what had just happened,” Norris said.

As there was no cell phone coverage at the scene of the accident, Norris and her family continued toward Ouray and called 911 as soon as they could, to report what they had seen.

Authorities initially misunderstood the location of the accident, and began searching for the victim in the area above the Riverside Slide avalanche tunnel further up the highway near Ironton Park, before returning to the Ruby Walls (just past the Bear Creek tunnel) where they found and eventually recovered Abbas’s body.

“The other motorcyclist never called 911 and was not on the scene,” Norris said. “He/she never called, nor did anyone else, and if we had not seen the motorcycle go over the edge, they told us they may have never found the guy.”

The scene has stayed fresh in Norris’s mind. She and her family have some theories about what happened – “one of which was the victim of the accident and the other motorcyclist were racing, and that the other motorcyclist did not call 911 because he would have to say they had been racing,” she said. “The other theory was something more sinister, but we have no idea.”

The whole thing still seems odd to Norris.

“But the oddest thing is that the other motorcyclist who could say what happened never called in and reported the accident,” she said. As a filmmaker, she has profiled Harley Davidson riders in the past. “Motorcyclists tend to watch out for one another,” she said. “I was surprised.”

Martin’s investigation, meanwhile, has led him to conclude that other motorcyclist “had nothing to do with it” and that Abbas was simply “riding fast like a lot of people do up there sometimes.”

Autopsy results on Abbas’s body are still pending, but Martin does not suspect that alcohol or drugs were a factor in the accident.
Old 08-11-2014, 05:19 PM   #37
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Oddometer: 5,139
Love riding the whole stretch of 550 on the DR with wife on back and she does too. Never a nervous moment on the bike, but once I drove 550 in a big seismic truck with 500 lbs of dynamite in the back. That was a little more ticky.
Old 08-11-2014, 06:30 PM   #38
abruzzi
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 981
Quote:
Originally Posted by doc_ricketts View Post
Love riding the whole stretch of 550 on the DR with wife on back and she does too. Never a nervous moment on the bike, but once I drove 550 in a big seismic truck with 500 lbs of dynamite in the back. That was a little more ticky.
That sounds like the movie "The Wages of Fear".
Old 08-11-2014, 07:51 PM   #39
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by abruzzi View Post
That sounds like the movie "The Wages of Fear".
Not that bad, although some of the five pound sticks did have a little crystalline stuff on it (I packed them very well).
Old 08-12-2014, 07:43 AM   #40
wadenelson
Rider/Writer

Oddometer: 560
Quote:
Originally Posted by enduro-ince View Post
troubling questions still remain about the circumstances behind the accident.
Q: What would Sherlock Holmes say about an admittedly terrified driver of a Suburban WHO TURNED AROUND and a motorcycle inexplicably going over the edge of a cliff.

A: That the Suburban likely crossed into the motorcycle's lane.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:02 AM   #41
Proveick
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,294
"However, after maneuvering the hair-raising Ruby Walls in their big Suburban, they realized it would likely be a “hellish drive”, and decided to turn around."

I say balls, nothing is hellish about that road, they're not on a freaking Jeep trail. Where did they turn around?
Complicit?
Old 08-12-2014, 08:44 AM   #42
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wadenelson View Post
Q: What would Sherlock Holmes say about an admittedly terrified driver of a Suburban WHO TURNED AROUND and a motorcycle inexplicably going over the edge of a cliff.

A: That the Suburban likely crossed into the motorcycle's lane.

Wow, that's a thought.

I've ridden that stretch enough that I am almost too comfortable with it. This story will stick with me for a while.

You can't ride that at 100%. Gotta take some off for critters, rocks, bicycles and vehicles in the wrong lane. Usually puts me at about 70% of how I would like to be riding it.
Old 08-12-2014, 08:48 AM   #43
DADODIRT
Beastly Adventurer

Where did they turn around?

The Ouray side of Engineer Pass is just above this area. Plenty of room there.
Or they just turned around in a blind spot that the motorcyclist couldn't see until it was too late.(?) Doubtful, as they sounded pretty scared by the road. I can't quite imagine a three point turn right there.
Old 08-18-2014, 09:53 PM   #44
doc_ricketts
Thumper jockey

Quote:
Originally Posted by DADODIRT View Post
Where did they turn around?

The Ouray side of Engineer Pass is just above this area. Plenty of room there.
Or they just turned around in a blind spot that the motorcyclist couldn't see until it was too late.(?) Doubtful, as they sounded pretty scared by the road. I can't quite imagine a three point turn right there.
Interesting theories behind this crash. Have not seen anything else except one paper article pointed that he was riding a DR650 and no helmet. He was from Yuma:
http://www.yumasun.com/news/yuma-man...7a43b2370.html
Old 08-18-2014, 11:43 PM   #45
grub
Requires Supervision

Oddometer: 2,184
I've always thought the stretch of road a few miles out of Minturn on the way to Leadville was much worse that anything on 550.