User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-10-2010, 06:53 PM   #1
Jason sandsux OP
Purple Helmet Driver

Oddometer: 70
Racing Baja 500 with KTM300, info needed

******UPDATE....I FINISHED IT SOLO. CHECK OUT LATEST ADDITION TO THIS POST FOR DETAILS******

I'm planning to use my 2008 KTM 300 XCW to race the Baja 500 and I need some info for setting it up specific to fuel range and gearing.

Info about me is..I race some hare scrambles in B class as a top 5 finisher. I've raced Baja 1000 before on an XR 650R and I've prerun Baja before on a KTM 450. So that'll tell you roughly how fast and hard I'll be pushing.

Info needed is.. What fuel range can I expect per gallon?
What jetting should I run?
What gearing should I run?

Thanks in advance for any info you can give.
J

Jason sandsux screwed with this post 06-10-2010 at 08:14 AM
Jason sandsux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 12:49 PM   #2
Jason sandsux OP
Purple Helmet Driver

even just basic info or a partial answer would be appreciated.
thx
Old 03-13-2010, 01:39 PM   #3
ArvadaGeorge
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 215
I have used my 2001 300exc in San Felipe --not racing; but hard riding
both on race course and deep sand. --great time --20 25 mpg is all.
i jetted it a little richer than stock and ran a thick base gasket .30 or .035
It worked great in the tight washes
ArvadaGeorge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
K2vodka
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 190
Since no one is being liberal with information I will state the obvious:

Try to go do test runs in as similar an environment as possible one day or preferably on a few days at different times.

I'm not sure how much your mileage may change with temperature.

This obviously ties into your jetting which you will also get some base info.

I don't see where you're located so I don't know how realistic this is.

If you're in the nothern part of the country then you need the informed people to come out of the woods with some enlightenment.

If you haven't tried already I would check out KTMtalk and other KTM forums.

Your bike seems to be to love of many rider's lives so there sould be volumes of info.

I know a 300 won the 24 hour race in 'Bama recently.

I'm contemplating picking up a 300 or TM Racing 250 or 300.

A friend is trying to steer me away from two-strokes. He has a lot of experience in the dirt but I've learned none with two strokes. This doesn't give value to his recommendation.

Best of luck.
K2vodka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2010, 08:48 PM   #5
b737jets
Baja Explorer

Oddometer: 170
Ok Here the scoop

You can expect 65 miles max from a aftermarket ims 3.7 gal tank under race conditions. I ran 250 course with my 09 300xcw after matomi bike was on vapors barley made it to pit

If you have the piting worked out for the 2 choke fuel you can do it

the only thing that would concern me is the distance I know on the 250 my bike smelled very hot a couple of times when I had it wound up in high speed sections

good luck, I would use a 4 stroke if I were to do it again
b737jets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 10:28 AM   #6
Jason sandsux OP
Purple Helmet Driver

Thanks for the info and if anyone else could add to this please do so.
I'm located in Tennessee so doing test runs locally isn't possible. I don't mind rejetting while there but I'll need to get it close before going down there because I'll need to bring the required jets with me.
I know the newer models don't have the fuel range that the older ones do. B737Jets, your range of 65 miles on 3.7 gallons is only 17.5 MPG which is horrible. This will be tough to put together pit locations if that turns out to be accurate. I'm not doubting it though.

B737Jets..can you tell me what gearing and jetting you ran??????

Yes, the 300's are awesome. I ride mostly single track but think with proper gearing and the wide ratio trans the bike could run down in Baja ok. I agree that 4t would be better but I'm not willing to buy a new bike just for the week of prerunning and the one race.
Thanks to all for the info and I'd appreciate anyone else's input as well.
J
Old 03-14-2010, 07:09 PM   #7
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 861
Quote:
Originally Posted by b737jets
Ok Here the scoop

You can expect 65 miles max from a aftermarket ims 3.7 gal tank under race conditions. I ran 250 course with my 09 300xcw after matomi bike was on vapors barley made it to pit

If you have the piting worked out for the 2 choke fuel you can do it

the only thing that would concern me is the distance I know on the 250 my bike smelled very hot a couple of times when I had it wound up in high speed sections

good luck, I would use a 4 stroke if I were to do it again
I saw your post & didn't take it seriously... a 300 for the 500 is an interesting choice of bike. Running a 170 MJ & a 38 Pilot jet, expect maybe less than 65miles. The 300 will kick ass thru the mountainous section, drop into the salt flats with 100-120 degree plus heat & the bike will hurt big time. You need the larger PJ to help on compression braking especially after a long straight away otherwise it will lean out & seize on compression... Run it real rich to keep it cool & lubricated. Gearing it up a little will help much, too high & you will loose your clutch in the deep sand washes.
How much "Baja" experience do you have? Too many folks look at Baja as flatout Desert racing, it ain't & the drop out rate is pretty high. It's a tough race & by your post assume you going to Ironman the race? Contact a Guy like Tim Morton (Bajaboundmoto.com), IMHO, he is MR Baja, extremely knowledgeable. Tim eats , sleeps & races Baja. It's a long way to go & race $$$, use Tims Race Rental program for your 1st attempt at racing the Baja 500, your chances of finishing would be increased a 1000%. You also need 2 bikes, 1 race & a pre-runner. After 3 or 4 days pre-running, starting the race with a fresh bike up's you chance of finishing.
I have a 08 300 & know the bike real well, its amazing out east...however in Baja I would rather race my 2000 XR 650 that is big & heavy.
John
PS:I have committed to racing the 500 again this year....Baja gets addicting
Old 03-14-2010, 07:36 PM   #8
Cactus Dave
Born to Argue

Oddometer: 691
All you need is tequila, reposada, anejo, silver, gold, . . . mas tequila and that smoker will become a mileage demon . . . .
Cactus Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 11:21 AM   #9
Jason sandsux OP
Purple Helmet Driver

John, I assure you that I'm not joking although I understand your concern as it's the same as mine...will the bike hold up? As a solo attempt the goal would be to finish strongly and I think proper jetting and gearing will do the trick. Ideally I'd have a KTM 530 but I think the 300 will do fine if set up. I have done the 1000 as a team on a 650R and prerun the 500 on a 450 so I feel I know what I'm getting into and agree that it's not all flat out.
I kind of like the thought of pushing my 300 to the limit (hopefully not pushing physically) so although renting is a good though I believe my 300 will be my choice.

Your jetting info is appreciated and will be used as a base setting.
Do you have a gearing suggestion?

Oh, and CactusDave..I already have my Tequila choice all dialed in and begun "prerunning" some Don Julio Blanco.

Any other suggestions from anyone else would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks much, J
Old 03-15-2010, 08:32 PM   #10
Johno33772
Johnny Africa

Oddometer: 861
1st off you know what's waiting for you is half the battle. The only part that would really worry me is the Salt flats & running flat out. Another Guy that is a Guru on the 300 is Jeff Slavens (Slavensracing), any advice I could get from Jeff would be very valuable. Jet it rich (maybe a 172 main & definately a 38 Pilot) carry a complete spare Air filter on you . My 300 on a 168MJ will make the header portion of the pipe discolor running flat out for extended periods down here in Fl at sea level on the sandy forrest roads. Who you using for Pits Service? I would not sweat the mixing oil part too much, use a Magic Marker to mark the quantity on the tank in case you need pour oil into you Gas at a stop. Getting straight Gas when pitting would definately suck.. Tank size? I run a 3.7 Gal & get about 60-65 miles when in Hooligan mode. You could probably could go atleast 1 tooth bigger up front & get a happy 70mph cruise without ringing it to death & still make it through the Plateau/mountains
John
Old 03-16-2010, 10:56 AM   #11
Jason sandsux OP
Purple Helmet Driver

John, I did some checking and actually looked at my manual last night and saw a jetting chart by KTM that said for up to 98 degrees and 1000' to use a 165 and a 35. Unless I get more info my plan was to start using a 168, needle on the 4th clip and 38 and just bring jets with me during my first day of prerunning and monitor how things are going. I'll know pretty quickly if it's too lean and then adjust from there and on your advice I'll carry up to a 172 in hopes that I won't need it because it'll kill my fuel range.
My pit support is just some friends with trucks. When we raced the 1000 we used Honda pit support but because the 500 is a loop the last time I preran and then supported a solo attempt we just used 2 truck and alternated through the 4 pit locations needed and it was really pretty easy to be "self supported".
The actual course will determine where I need to pit due to access but I figure I can always hide gas along the way if needed and then there's always the option of carrying $20 bills and premix oil.
My plan was to gear 1 tooth taller than stock on the front. The bike's low weight and low 1st gear should handle the slow stuff fine and this will help preserve the bike and extend gas mileage.
I've been avoiding buying the 4.1 gallon Safari tank for $450 (ouch) and have thought about modifying one of the BD side panel tanks to fit my bike because these are 1.1 gal and would give me 4 total gallons. I haven't decided yet and know this is less than ideal but $150 vs $450 might help make up my mind.
I expect these plans will be adjusted on the fly but it's a starting point. I'll have about 5 days to prerun and fine tune.
Baja is a big puzzle and I appreciate your input with a few of the pieces.
Thanks, J
Old 03-16-2010, 12:37 PM   #12
Bonezjones
Hairball

Oddometer: 156
Why are you using a 300? Great bike but a nicely prepped XR would be the bomb, literally. I don't ride anymore and have never been down to Baja but I think you are on the wrong machine. My dad raced a husky back in the 70s and he says you should race one of those. I don't know about all that but see if you can find a buddy with a four stroke, and a similar taste for Don Julio, and borrow it for the race. As far as jetting-I'd go a little rich and spend the extra $$$ on the reposado. Just my two shots...
Bonezjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 12:41 PM   #13
Bonezjones
Hairball

Oddometer: 156
Oh yeah, I don't mean to point out the obvious but with a name like Sand Sux are you sure you want to go race in Baja? You know it's a desert right?
Bonezjones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2010, 02:24 PM   #14
Jason sandsux OP
Purple Helmet Driver

Well Mr. BonezJones, Reposado, 4 stroke guy, I'm more of a Blanco, 2 stroke KTM, sandsux kinda guy.
If I only knew someone who I could rely on to be my teammate and provide a fully prepped 4 stroke, tequila, a chase truck, pit crew, gas, spares and logistics then I'd consider doing this as a 2 man team but since that kind of thing seems like too much to ask of a BonezJones kind of guy, then I guess I'm left to plan this myself with my crappy unloved 2 stroke.
Dave said we could guilt you into this. Is it working???
Cheers
Old 03-16-2010, 04:13 PM   #15
cross-country

Oddometer: 1,576
Jason, My teamate prerode the 500 on a 300xcw a few years ago, he may have some good info. If you want, PM me and I'll get you his email.

Good luck!
cross-country is online now   Reply With Quote