Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-22-2010, 08:49 PM   #1
shleppy OP
Shlepdawg on da smoov tip

Oddometer: 605
Tooling around Southern Utah for a week.

About a year ago a buddy and I rode our motorcycles through Utah on our way to Colorado and it was absolutely awesome so I decided to ride out there once again to check out the awesome scenery. Fellow ADV inmate MrMike was kind enough to join me on this latest trip.

Our plan is to ride for about a week or so just meandering through Southern Utah, and probably northern Arizona, checking out whatever strikes our fancy. Well probably hit all the national parks (Zion, Bryce, Capital Reef, Grand Canyon, Arches etc) but we don't have any set itinerary so we will make decisions on each days' destination as each day arrives.

Unfortunately the first day of our trip involved riding from Southern California across the Mojave Desert and across the Deserts of southern Nevada. This route is a huge buzz kill (and really freakin hot) so we decided to hammer it out in one day.

I won't bore you with pictures or a verbal description of the days' ride..I'll just bore you with a short video instead.

(sorry.. I didn't add any music to the video so please turn off your sound when watching or you will hear a bunch of obnoxious wind noise)

27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" width="425" height="284" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0">

Tomorrow I'll have better pics and info to share.. today is just a teaser as we blast through the crappy stuff on our way to the good stuff.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS
shleppy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
refokus
Just Learning

Oddometer: 2,271
Bring it on..........
refokus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 09:54 PM   #3
kwidd
n00b

Oddometer: 1
Highway 12

The ride on highway 12 from 89 to Torry is the ride not to miss. It is the good stuff. Have a great ride. Kent
kwidd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 12:39 PM   #4
The Gobbler
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 194
I so wish I was there again. I hope you are still going to be up for a trip up North later in the year. I pick up my 2007 990 on Thursday...WOOT!!!

Current bike:
2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Past bikes:
2 97 VFR's,
2001 ZX9R,
2004 ZX10 and 3 (yes 3) 2006 ZX10's
2005 Vee
The Gobbler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 03:37 PM   #5
shleppy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gobbler
I pick up my 2007 990 on Thursday...WOOT!!!
Sweet! . is the loaded one with low miles and all the farkles?

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 05:34 PM
Old 05-23-2010, 03:46 PM   #6
shleppy OP

St George Utah to Torrey Utah

OK.. enough with the boring crap.... now it's time for the good stuff.

You can read the boring dribble below.. or if you are prefer to skip all the wordy BS and just watch a video.. well.. then.. here you go.

Our plan for today was to head east from St George Utah through Zion National park and eventually make our way to Page Arizona via the North rim of the Grand Canyon, but the weather forecast changed our plans. There was a storm rolling into Utah and it was cranking up very high winds throughout the state, particularly in southern Utah.. which of course was where we were planning on going. According to the weather service the forecast was for sustained wind speeds of at least 40mph with gusts between 60 and 70mph. One might think wind isn't a big deal but when you are on a motorcycle wind gusts can really bat you around and end up blowing you somewhere you don't want to be (like off into a ditch or into the grill of an oncoming car)

Since the winds were primarily coming from the south and were blowing to the north, we decided to head north towards central Utah with the hopes that the wind would primarily be at our back. If the winds turned out to be too much we would just have to ride to the closest town and hunker down at the closest motel.

Here' was our planned route for the day.

At about 8:30 AM we rolled out of St George Utah and headed east towards Hurricane and Zion National Park. After about 45 minutes we made it to Zion. I had been to Zion before but this was Mikes first trip. Zion is really an incredible place.... it's sort of like a smaller version of Yosemite but with deep red iron rich rock formations instead of the gray and white granite of the canyon walls of Yosemite.

After riding through Zion we headed east on hwy 9 towards hwy 89 and headed north. When we hit 89 the winds picked up quite a bit and the temperature dropped rapidly. The cold temp was due to the increasing elevation as well as the cold air mass brought in by the same storm causing the gusty winds.

Before we knew it the temperate was about 50 degrees. Not very cold by normal standards but when you add wind chill to the mix (due to the fact that we were on motorcycles) the perceived temp is pretty dam cold. Lucky for us the wind was out our backs (at about 30 mph) so we didn't get blown around too much.

On hwy 89 just shy of Panguitch Utah we headed east on hwy 12. This was when things got even colder. This is also where the winds started to punch us around a bit because we were heading east and the winds were from the south which of course meant we were getting hit with cross winds... not fun. Regardless of the wind and temps we were loving the ascent through red rock canyon as we headed towards Bryce.

15 minutes later we took a detour off hwy 12 to check out Bryce Canyon National Park.

It was early afternoon by the time we left Bryce and the winds were really starting to pick up. We left the park and headed east on hwy 12 through Tropic and Canonville towards Escalante and Boulder. We were batted around a bit more but after about 20 minutes we veered north and had the wind at our backs.

If you have the chance to ride hwy 12 ... do it. It's absolutely awesome!

Between the town of Boulder and Torrey Utah hwy 12 climbs up and over a 9600 ft mountain pass. This stretch of road is an absolute blast on a motorcycle due to the constant long sweeping turns and great vistas everywhere. This stretch of road was awesome but it was really cold and really windy. At the pass the temp dropped to 45 degrees, pretty chili on a motorcycle. According to the weather service (which we checked later in the day) the wind over the pass was 40 mph with 60 to 70 mph gusts. We stopped at the pass during the ride to put on some ore gear and were literally almost blown over.

After descending down the north side of the mountain pass we headed to Torrey Utah where we wrapped up the day. We stopped off at two motels to get a room but they were full. The main part of Torry only has two motels so that was not good news to use. One of the motels told us about a new Howard Johnson that had recently opened up down the road and we were lucky enough to grab a room there. It turned out to be a great place to stay.

By the time we hopped off our bikes and headed to our room the wind was absolutely crazy. As the day progressed the winds had become stronger and stronger and were gusting at 40 to 50 mph in the parking lot. Lucky for us these winds were primarily at our back all day.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 05-23-2010 at 09:39 PM
Old 05-23-2010, 08:43 PM   #7
BusyWeb
Adventurer

Oddometer: 99
BusyWeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2010, 10:40 PM   #8
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 164
Hey, no video of the tunnel in Zions? You've got to go through there early in the morning. You'll have the whole place to yourself. Great RR, your making me homesick. Your in my back yard on some of my favorite roads.
Old 05-24-2010, 03:32 AM   #9
The Gobbler
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shleppy
Sweet! . is the loaded one with low miles and all the farkles?

Yes, it is. Do you have any idea where you are going to be on Saturday? Maybe I will come out and meet you guys.

Current bike:
2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Past bikes:
2 97 VFR's,
2001 ZX9R,
2005 Vee
Old 05-24-2010, 03:37 AM   #10
The Gobbler
Gnarly Adventurer

One more thing, what kind of camera do you have mounted to your helmet?

Current bike:
2007 KTM 990 Adventure

Past bikes:
2 97 VFR's,
2001 ZX9R,
2005 Vee
Old 05-24-2010, 06:46 AM   #11
shleppy OP

So now we are in Torrey Utah ready to hop on our bikes and head over to Moab.. the only problem with that plan is that it's freakin' cold outside! An unseasonably cold storm has blown in and the temp outside is in the 30's! Our early start was scratched and we waited until about 8:30 to leave hoping it would warm up a bit.

We rode out of Torrey and into Capital Reef National Park.

10 Miles into the park we head south on a scenic road which takes us into a long beautiful canyon that goes on for miles.

The paved road eventually teeters out and turns into a dirt road that takes us into Capital Gorge. We ride into the Gorge which eventually becomes a deep slot canyon with deep red walls probably in the neighborhood of 500-700 feet tall

After several miles of this Mike and I loving it and are feeling like we could ride this all day. We take a peak at the GPS and it looks like the road continues for another 5 or 10 miles and hooks back up to a hwy eventually. We decide to follow it all the way through but our plans are dashed a few miles later when the road teeters out and we have to double back... oh well.

We hook back up with hwy 24 and head east through the park and another 50 miles or so to Hanksville.

When we hit Hanksville the winds are crankin'. The same weather system that gave us wind yesterday was rolling into northern Utah and was still kicking up 50mph+ winds.

As we headed north on 24 from Hanksville the wind batted us around a bit and was also kicking up a good bit of dirt and sand across the road. The road was straight as an arrow so the wind was a bit of a novelty because it kept our minds busy leaning over to counter act the cross wind.

Hwy 24 eventually hit interstate 70 and we headed east. This is where things got "interesting". It was now late afternoon and the winds were getting more powerful. The wind was coming directly form the south, and we were heading east which meant we were getting hammered with crosswinds. Anyone who has ridden a motorcycle in heavy, gusty cross winds knows how this can be a bit intense. The wind would gust 50mph+ and we would lean way over into the wind to counter balance the gusts... then the gust would subside a bit, then gust again. The gusts were so powerful that the force of the gusts would try and pry our helmets off our heads. Both of our helmets were lifting and tilting laterally while we used our neck muscles to counter balance the force of the wind. We really felt like bobbleheads on the dashboard of a car.

We skipped the direct route into moab from hwy 70 and continued east another 20 miles towards Cisco where we headed south on hwy 128. This route is far more scenic and takes you right along the Colorado river along a deep canyon all the way into Moab. (Hmm.. deep canyon and heavy wind.... this could get interesting...) Hwy 128 took us south and west... head on into the now increasing winds. By now the wind was so intense the the entire sky was filled with dust. At one point we stopped to take a picture (bad idea) and almost got blown over. When we stopped and put the bikes in neutral we realized how important momentum is. We slowed down and were both close to blowing over. The wind was blowing so hard that the act of lifting a foot to put the bike back in gear was impossible because the gusty winds forced us to have both feet on the ground. One lifted foot and wammo.. on our side. We sat there for several minutes and eventually got a quick second without a gust and got rolling again.

Every now and then the canyon would bend and give a brief shelter form the wind allowing us to take a photo.

If you ever head into Moab.. skip the direct route in from hwy 70 and head down 128.. it's incredible.

We eventually made it into Moab where the winds were even more intense. The sky was solid dust and completely obscured the sun. To add to the fun there was a light rain falling.. well.. I should say light mud falling. The storm causing the winds was dropping rain, which was being saturated by all the dirt in the air. It was literally raining muck!

We eventually checked into a motel and were happy to get out of the crazy weather.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 05-24-2010 at 07:19 AM
Old 05-24-2010, 07:26 AM   #12
shleppy OP

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Gobbler
One more thing, what kind of camera do you have mounted to your helmet?
It's made by Vholder and it's called the Contour HD. I have the 720p version but there is a 1080p version available for a few more bucks.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS
Old 05-24-2010, 09:38 AM   #13
lookatdirt
Adventurer

Oddometer: 97
Great photos and videos! We're taking almost the exact same route from San Diego (we're gonna skip the 15 and do an end around Vegas on the 95) at the end of June, all the way to the 70. From there we're heading north on the 191.

Thanks for the report, you've got me chomping at the bit!
lookatdirt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #14
shleppy OP

We encountered some crazy weather on the way to Moab yesterday but when we woke up today things looked a lot better. It was still pretty windy and quite cold with a low in the 30's. Apparently the storm that blew in yesterday was causing northern Utah to get blanketed with snow. Pretty crazy for late May.

Today our plan was to check out Canyon Lands National park and Arches National park, both within 50 miles of Moab. We geared up at about 8:00 and headed north towards Canyon Lands. As we rode into the northern part of the park it got really cold. According to my temp gauge it was 38 degrees. Both Mike and I only brought our mesh summer gear on this trip thinking it would be hot, but this latest freak storm was creating some unusually cold weather. We did both have a thin liner on under our mesh gear but it was not doing much for us.. we were really freaking cold on the ride in.

When we hit the visitor center we had to go in side to thaw out. A few minutes later we emerged and continued south towards the vista point that overlooks Canyonlands.

The northern part of canyonlands is high on a mesa that overlooks the the white rim trail a few thousand feet below us. To get where we were you can take the paved road in (which we did) or you can head directly up from Moab via the Shafer trail which is carved right into the canyon walls. I had been up this trail years ago in a Jeep and figured we should give it a go on our bikes so we located the trail and decided to head down for a while. What a blast!

The trail is a bit freaky because the first 4 or 5 miles of the trail are carved into the wall of the mesa with a constant 1000+ foot drop along the edge of the trail. Every inch of this descent has incredible views of the canyon far below.

The pics just don't do this trail justice... but this video of us descending down the trail might do a better job!
27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=6,0,40,0" width="640" height="426">

We headed down the trail about 1/2 way down the switchbacks to the white rim trail and then headed back up to the top. Here's some footage of us heading back up the trail.

After heading back up to the mesa we dropped back down to Moab and hung a left into Arches National park. No need to explain how incredible this place is, I'll let the pictures do the talking.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS
Old 05-26-2010, 06:10 PM   #15
shleppy OP

Had a great ride from Moab Utah to Page Arizona... here's a quick video.. ride report coming later.

2006 F650GS (sold)
2007 DRZ 400s
2009 F650GS

shleppy screwed with this post 05-26-2010 at 07:54 PM