User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-29-2010, 12:46 AM   #16
Icculus1284
Totally Rookie

Oddometer: 40
Still following this, great report.

I was at a dinner with my dad and his riding partners, and they started to question if I could hang with them on a 250. They all ride BMW LTs and RTs...then I referenced this report of you popping off at a top speed of ~78mph on the Dragon. They at me. I had to read back to make sure I was bullshitting them, and I definitely wasn't .

I honestly can't tell you how much confidence this puts me at(and in my bike) when it comes to my future first ride(s). Keep it up, friend.

Icculus1284 screwed with this post 06-29-2010 at 12:53 AM
Icculus1284 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2010, 05:22 PM   #17
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Oddometer: 196
Icculus1284, I have to admit that the 250's performance on the Dragon was a big shock to me. I would never imagined it would performe as good as it did. Just remember it's still a 250 which means your dad and his buddies will leave you behind on the open road (if they want to). My top speed for the whole trip was 84mph. I've had it up to 91mph when it wasn't loaded down with gear (GPS reading). But in tight twisty stuff you can probably hang as long as you keep it pined (WOT). But when it comes to dirt and gravel roads, you'll be able to leave them behind (if you want to). We actually meet some guys on the TAT that were riding BMW GS's (650, 800 & 1200). They followed us for a while until we hit the dirt roads. Those bikes just couldn't travel the speeds these little nimble 250's can off road. Just too much weight to keep them stable. We never saw them again.

I still wish I had more power and I'm sure you will won't more too. Luckily for us Bill Blue has the 350 bolt-on kit available. I'll be getting one when its time to rebuild.

These bikes are comfidence inspiring, enjoy it and be safe.
Old 06-29-2010, 05:43 PM   #18
Icculus1284
Totally Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by apostle2
Icculus1284, I have to admit that the 250's performance on the Dragon was a big shock to me. I would never imagined it would performe as good as it did. Just remember it's still a 250 which means your dad and his buddies will leave you behind on the open road (if they want to). My top speed for the whole trip was 84mph. I've had it up to 91mph when it wasn't loaded down with gear (GPS reading). But in tight twisty stuff you can probably hang as long as you keep it pined (WOT). But when it comes to dirt and gravel roads, you'll be able to leave them behind (if you want to). We actually meet some guys on the TAT that were riding BMW GS's (650, 800 & 1200). They followed us for a while until we hit the dirt roads. Those bikes just couldn't travel the speeds these little nimble 250's can off road. Just too much weight to keep them stable. We never saw them again.

I still wish I had more power and I'm sure you will won't more too. Luckily for us Bill Blue has the 350 bolt-on kit available. I'll be getting one when its time to rebuild.

These bikes are comfidence inspiring, enjoy it and be safe.
Glad you're enjoying it and seeing how hard you can push it, what you said makes sense. Those guys like to ride hard and fast, but my dad will hang back with me at least. At speeds that high(oh both highway and Dragon), how was the overall handling? I'm assuming it was less than favorable.

Pardon the ignorance, but Bill Blue? I'm not familiar with this name/brand.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:07 PM   #19
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

I mostly ride on dirt, just enough highway to get to the trails. What I've come to like is a Dunlop 606 on the front and a Kenda Trackmaster II on the rear. At speeds of 65mph or higher the Trackmaster II gets a little wiggly, but its an awesome tire in the dirt, pretty much a motocross tread pattern that's street legal. But for this trip I installed a Dunlop 606 on the rear and I'm glad I did. Suprisingly the 606 rear handles very well at speed. And I never expected it to stick to the curves as well as it did on the Dragon. More than once I expected the rear tire to let loose and wash out on me but it didn't. I was impressed with its performance for sticking to the road. Just remember, its still a knobbie, so it's not going to stop on a dime.

Bill Blue is the dude that builds the 351 kits. You can search him on this forum or visit his website http://www.bandbcyclerestorations.com/.
Old 06-29-2010, 11:16 PM   #20
Icculus1284
Totally Rookie

Quote:
I mostly ride on dirt, just enough highway to get to the trails. What I've come to like is a Dunlop 606 on the front and a Kenda Trackmaster II on the rear. At speeds of 65mph or higher the Trackmaster II gets a little wiggly, but its an awesome tire in the dirt, pretty much a motocross tread pattern that's street legal. But for this trip I installed a Dunlop 606 on the rear and I'm glad I did. Suprisingly the 606 rear handles very well at speed. And I never expected it to stick to the curves as well as it did on the Dragon. More than once I expected the rear tire to let loose and wash out on me but it didn't. I was impressed with its performance for sticking to the road. Just remember, its still a knobbie, so it's not going to stop on a dime.

Bill Blue is the dude that builds the 351 kits. You can search him on this forum or visit his website http://www.bandbcyclerestorations.com/.
Understood and noted. It's going to be quite some time before I consider hitting the Dragon, but this knowledge is beneficial nonetheless.

Bookmarked your link. I was already planning on re-jetting and adding Two Brothers exhaust slip-on, think it would be more wise to spend the extra coin for the B&B?
Old 06-29-2010, 11:30 PM   #21
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Day 5

Day 5: June 1st, 2010

We crawl out of bed about 8:00 AM and start packing and loading the bikes. Both of us washed some clothes in the sink the night before but they didnít dry completely overnight. So we attach them onto the bikes so they can air dry while we ride. All I had to dry was a pair of socks.

Big Bro on the other hand had socks and underwear he needed to dry. Iím not sure I wouldíve been bold enough to display my underwear in such a fashion but hey, at least they were clean.

We had to ride north a bit to get back on the TAT from where we left it in a town called Bell Buckle. We managed to find some breakfast at a gas station there. Once back on the TAT we finally get to ride on some dirt.

Itís just amazing what you can find out it the middle of nowhere. An old derrick that seemed old and lonely.

Sarah seemed to be a popular girl around here.

Then more chip and seal.

Iíve seen this bridge on several previous ride reports. Kind of cool to see it in person.

Then we get a taste of some more dirt.

As Big Bro stated before, these things can be very fast when they need to be. We saw several of them this day but we let them go about their business.

Thatís one heck of a drop off that sneaks up on ya.

At this point we head for a planned fuel stop but when we get there itís closed for remodeling. The guys working tell us fuel is available about 5 miles up the road, the same directions a huge rain cloud sits. We take in pursuit of fuel and make it to the store just as the bottom falls out of the rain clouds. So much for dry socks (and underwear).

It was raining hard and we didnít want to leave that cozy roof over our heads. So we ordered food and ate while we waited for the rain to pass. But we werenít the only ones. Several other bikers showed up for the same reason.

The rain finally clears and we head back down the trail and take pictures of more things of interest.
There were a lot of these in TN.

And this was different.

We continue on for a while and then we come across another TVA Dam called Great Falls Powerhouse.

Iím assuming this the reason for the name of the Dam.

After absorbing the view of the falls we continue on and ride up on our first re-route.

We make it around the closed road and make it to the other side of the dam.

Somewhere along the path we see several tree farms.

We end up stopping for the day in Manchester, TN. We secure a hotel room and ride off looking for dinner. Ahh Pizza Hut, I never get tired of pizza.

Back at the hotel we charge up the GPS and phones. 343 miles today, time for some sleep.

Old 06-30-2010, 06:53 AM   #22
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,465
Great ride report

I am currently packing for a 3k mile trip with my big brother - on my 250 - so I especially enjoyed reading about yours.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:05 PM   #23
arkridergc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 295
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Krabill
Great ride report

I am currently packing for a 3k mile trip with my big brother - on my 250 - so I especially enjoyed reading about yours.
Thanks for checking out our report Steve. It is pretty cool to get the opportunity to do this with your brother (provided you get along). We shared a room as kids so there are no suprisingly disgusting habits to deal with and not a lot of dickering over where to eat. I almost took us both out during a hard rain because I changed my mind about a turn and we just agreed to not do that again. That was all that needed to be said.

One tip I might make is to try and take pictures of different things. As it was, we tended to photgraph a lot of the same stuff 'cause we both found it interesting (and we were stopped in the same place). That way, you don't wind up duplicating pics in your ride reports. Of course we got each other's pictures when we got home so I guess some of that is inevitable. Also get someone to take pictures of the two of you for posterity's sake. Take lots of UP pics for us. That place is on my bucket list ever since an old girlfirend I had in the Army who was from Ann Arbor described it (she claimed that Jane Curtain was one of her high school teachers?!). Twenty-five years later and I've still not made north of Pentwater, MI! Don't worry though, I'll get there.
Have fun and be safe,
GC
Two Brothers on Two50's ride Colorado
'09 Yamaha WR250r, '08 Harley Davidson Road Glide
arkridergc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:16 PM   #24
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icculus1284
think it would be more wise to spend the extra coin for the B&B?

Only if you want to spend the cash and have it to spare. It's not going to gain you any top end. Myself, I'm just gonna ride and enjoy it, when its time for a rebuild I'll get the 351 kit then.

apostle2 screwed with this post 06-30-2010 at 08:22 PM
apostle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2010, 08:22 PM   #25
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Quote:
Great ride report
Quote:

I am currently packing for a 3k mile trip with my big brother - on my 250

Hey Krabill, I have one suggestion for those 3000 miles...Alaska Leather Sheep Skin seat cover. Saved my ASS...literally!

Enjoy the ride and keep safe.
Old 06-30-2010, 08:27 PM   #26
Icculus1284
Totally Rookie

Quote:

Only if you want to spend the cash and have it to spare. It's not going to gain you any top end. Myself, I'm just gonna ride and enjoy it, when its time for a rebuild I'll get the 351 kit then.
Duly noted, thanks for the advice. I'll stick with the Two Brothers slip-on and re-jet for now. Eventually I'm going to upgrade to a bigger bike. No idea if I'll sell the KLX, but I'd like to keep it around for specific occasions when I do decide to move up.
Old 06-30-2010, 09:04 PM   #27
Krabill
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,465
Quote:

Hey Krabill, I have one suggestion for those 3000 miles...Alaska Leather Sheep Skin seat cover. Saved my ASS...literally!

Enjoy the ride and keep safe.
The decision to ride the whole way (as opposed to trailer or even fly up and borrow a bike) was a pretty late decision. No time to get a sheep skin ordered and delivered. I did stop by one of our local dealers a couple days ago and picked up a beaded seat cover, though. Hopefully that'll help at least a little.

I'm out of here Saturday morning and will definitely do a full-on ride report on how everything worked out.
Krabill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 11:51 AM   #28
jckid
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 301
Great ride report! I started to read this, but headed out on a trip of my own and didn't get to finish it. I bookmarked it so I could read it when I got back. I have a red KLX like yours. I haven't taken it on a trip yet, but will soon. I just got it in May, and am still getting it set up how I want it. Sounds like your bike did great. Very cool that you get to ride with your brother too.

WR250X ride report: http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=903806
jckid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:06 AM   #29
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Hey jckid,

I'm glad you're enjoying the ride report. Both of our bikes did great on this trip. You're going to enjoy your bike. This KLX has performed far better than I expected to. Very plesed with it.

More of the ride report coming up. (3 more days of riding)

apostle2 screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 10:10 PM
apostle2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 08:20 AM   #30
apostle2 OP
The road less traveled.

Day 6

Day 6: June 2nd, 2010

We didnít wake up until about 8:00 AM this morning. We put in quite a few miles the day before and we were a little tired. But we managed to get everything together and get the bikes packed.

On the way out of Manchester we stop at the Old Stone Fort and take a look around. They had plenty of camp sites available but most of them had standing water in them. Kind of looked like a place where the Mosquitoes would hang out by the millions. Glad we didnít stay there for the night.

After taking a self guided tour through Old Stone Fort we headed back to Bell Buckle for some breakfast and get back on the TAT.

When we got to Bell Buckle the Cafť wasnít open. Folks in the area said they didnít server breakfast. But the convenience store did. So we got our fill of Sausage Biscuits that were actually good. Fill up with fuel and once again we were riding the TAT.

We ride up on a section of road that has some freshly cut grass all over the road. Incase you didnít know grass is very slippery for a motorcycle, especially when youíre in the middle of a turn with the bike leaned a bit. For sure increases the butt pucker!

A little ways further up the road we see the people responsible for the butt pucker.

We continue on and come across the Campbell Station Country Store. I had seen pictures of this place a couple of times before from other ride reports. So we decided to stop and eat lunch. If you decide to ear here just understand that only one lady runs the store. Sheís the waitress and the cook. So be patient, kick back and relax. But the food was good.

We finally finish lunch and get back on the trail and ride through the middle of Amish country.

Then finally some more dirt roads.

We came across another infamous Tennessee water crossing but we both made it without any issues.

Another tunnel to ride under.

So far weíve made it across all of the Tennessee water crossings with out any drops. But the last one we came across had a strong hold on Big Bro. When I crossed it I noticed it was more slippery than the previous crossings, but made it across ok. So I stopped and waited with the camera just in case.

Going, Gone. It was that quick!

Yes the pride was hurt a little bit. But I was the only one around to see it. Until now.

We continue on and come upon this place where big huge pipes were protruding out of the ground leaving you thinking ďWhere do these pipes go?Ē

Onward we go.

Quick fuel stop in Savannah.

And more dirt.

Back on pavement and we ride across the Tennessee River.

From here we head to Big Hill Pond State Park. Our plan was to fill up with fuel in Ramer and camp here for the night but we got there with abut 10 minutes of daylight left. We couldnít find a single soul in the park and the gas station in Ramer was closed. So we decided to ride back to Selmer, TN to eat and find a Motel and fuel. Of course by the time we decided this it was completely dark. Iím already running low of fuel in the tank but Iíve got an extra gallon in the saddle bags so no worries. We look the GPS over and choose a route back to Selmer (we could have chosen a faster route). We finally make it back to Selmer and stop at the first gas station we see. I put 2.1 gallons of gas into a two gallon tank! We secure a Motel, ride out to find food, then back to the Motel for some shoot eye.

A total of 360 miles for today. Yep, we were both a little tired but we managed to make it through another day with any problems. Another day to remember.