ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How many fingers do you use to cover the front brake?
one 27 11.16%
two 170 70.25%
three 19 7.85%
four 26 10.74%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 08-20-2002, 04:23 PM   #16
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Two fingers... and to anyone that needs more, perhaps you might want to play with the adjustment on your levers. I seem to have some sort of callus on the inside thumb area from all the "hang-on's" but thw two fingers work great. I can not even think the last time I needed a whole hand load on the levers. If you are trying to look "pro" you will most likely see the racers are also two-finger's on the triggers!

In heavy dirt rides, I often need to really grip tight, but stiill try to have two-fingers on the levers.

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:25 PM   #17
wxwax
Excited Member

Oddometer: 70,364
Small hands. I've adjusted the lever as much as it allows.

It has been said that man is a rational animal. All my life I have been searching for evidence which could support this.
-- Bertrand Russell

To make an apple pie from scratch,
you must first invent the universe.
-- Carl Sagan
wxwax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 04:34 PM   #18
Red Bull
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 790
Quote:
Originally posted by zero-zero
Developing a habit of covering the brake with two fingers is BAD - I had seen it discussed on some websites, but disregarded it... till I felt the (almost) pain myself...
Hum, I am sorry to hear about your experiance. Something must be wrong with your controls. I can, (and have done), full on stoppies (ouch!) :eek: with two fingers, and when "inspired" I think I could snap-off the lever entirely! (Kidding ouf course)

In a moment of "insperation" I have closed the clutch down on my other fingers, (ouch) but that was not the part that hurt after wards!

Perhaps it's a debated subject on the web... but I do not really care. The wonderful heated grips often encurage all my fingers on the grip, but I am VERY aware of this choice. Having a strong grip is really essencial for any off-road rider, and a GS, you got to be MANLY.

I am suprised that anyone needs more than two fingers, but I guess this is why it's poll. Let the stats speak for themselves.

John@MyHomeWebSite.com
'97 BMW R1100 GSA "RED BULL" - Sonoma, CA
'Where ever you go, there you are" - Buckaroo Bonzai
Red Bull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2002, 05:32 PM   #19
Chopperman
I am dead

Oddometer: 27,033
howevr many I need on whatever bike I am riding.

the VTR only needs one but I use two. all modern bikes should only need two. or you have shitty brakes.
Old 08-21-2002, 06:51 AM   #20
Jim Kelleher
Circus Bear

Oddometer: 342
Need versus style

I don't think we are arguing how many fingers we NEED to cover the brake here but rather our individual riding styles and what we CHOOSE to cover with (I won't get kicked off this site for ending a sentence with a preposition, will I?) . The Cubs have a pitcher with 12 fingers and 12 toes they call "El Pulpo" (the octopus). I wonder how many fingers he covers with whe he rides??????

Circus Bear Over & Out....
"I would rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy"

Joe Walsh

Black 1999 R1100GS "Mad Max"
Black 1974 R90/6 w/Ural M66 Sidecar
Jim Kelleher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 07:05 AM   #21
eap
El Adventurero Solitario

Oddometer: 3,198
Re: Brake Covering

Quote:
Originally posted by Jim Kelleher
I must be a weirdo using 3 fingers when I cover but my question is: How many of you who normally cover find that you don't when you have your heated grips on and it's cold?

Inquiring minds want to know? (maybe I'm weirder than I thought?)
Having the GS handguards help and even better are a pair of HANDLE BAR MUFFs - flugly but finger friendly - can't get much weirder than these as made by by Dan "DANK" Klestorny. You may be able to still contact him at his website

"Over the Mountains Of the Moon, Down the Valley of the Shadow, Ride, boldly ride," -From 'Eldorado', Edgar Allen Poe (1849) http://www.eapoe.org/works/poems/eldrdoa.htm

eap screwed with this post 08-21-2002 at 12:10 PM
eap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2002, 11:15 AM   #22
chadhargis
Too tall for sportbikes

Oddometer: 2,045
I used 4 thanks to the lovely throttle rocker. One of the best $10 items I've ever bought.
Old 08-21-2002, 11:45 AM   #23
Jim Kelleher
Circus Bear

Oddometer: 342
throttle rocker

where/how did you get yours and what is the principal behind it?

Black 1999 R1100GS "Mad Max"
Black 1974 R90/6 w/Ural M66 Sidecar
Jim Kelleher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 02:42 AM   #24
B.Curvin
Feral Chia tamer

Oddometer: 2,647
Holy Zombie thread.

On the outside with my back turned.
B.Curvin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 03:06 AM   #25
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 6,355
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-zero View Post
Developing a habit of covering the brake with two fingers is BAD - I had seen it discussed on some websites, but disregarded it... till I felt the (almost) pain myself.

Problem is, if you get used to riding with two fingers on the lever, when an emergency situation calls for full brakes, you are not going to make it!

Bullshit, I'm hearing. But here's the facts, at least true in my case:

- If you are used to do light braking with two fingers, when you need to really squeeze, you'll do it with two fingers too! one, because of habit, and the fact that those fingers are already there, second, because you can't really "add fingers" when you're braking without partly releasing (go ahead and try to do it fast, see what I mean). It's a difficult hand motion.

- You don't have enough strenght in those two fingers to really stop the bike NOW!. Because you're using index and middle, no? and they grab the inside of the lever, so not enough leverage... again, go ahead and try a couple emergency stops from say 40 mph with 2 fingers vs 4. If you use the other two, you'll crush the inner ones.

- If for some reason you brake hard enough, and the lever goes deep enough, you'll crush the other fingers on the grip (VERY painful!) and worse, you'll prevent the lever from going any further. Yes, I know. Don't ask.

I used to have this habit on my previous bikes, but a couple scares taught me you need FOUR and a "bare grip" (no fingers there) to STOP NOW! It took awfully long to unlearn the bad habit, and just a little while ago I caught myself doing it again on the GS - it came back when I changed my main ride. So I had to do an effort to unlearn it again... it's specially bad if you ride in city traffic a lot, 'cause with the frequent, light braking, you tend to leave them there. But it will bite back, even in city traffic. Hey, I may seem emotional about this, but I'm still unlearning it and just this morning riding to work I almost don't make it in time when I failed to see a "yield" sign and got in the way of a careening cage... Yep, my fault, bikers ain't perfect either. Yep, I had just inches to spare. And yep, when I looked down, I saw the dreaded two finger grip on the lever...

Two-finger braking is bad...

The SFIS.

I can flip either of my bikes over its nose with two fingers. I've ridden that way for 24 years, and I'm not stopping because you have a big bike with crappy brakes.

.....and oh damn.....11 year necro? Holy shit.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #26
spezjag
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by B.Curvin View Post
Holy Zombie thread.
And I totally misunderstood what it was about when I read the thread title . . .

Only a motorcyclist knows why a cheetah hangs its head out the window. - Peterman
http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=DZ6jy8o...ure%3Dyoutu.be
spezjag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 06:19 AM   #27
LuciferMutt
Rides slow bike slow

Oddometer: 10,574
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-zero View Post
Developing a habit of covering the brake with two fingers is BAD - I had seen it discussed on some websites, but disregarded it... till I felt the (almost) pain myself.

Problem is, if you get used to riding with two fingers on the lever, when an emergency situation calls for full brakes, you are not going to make it!

Bullshit, I'm hearing. But here's the facts, at least true in my case:

- If you are used to do light braking with two fingers, when you need to really squeeze, you'll do it with two fingers too! one, because of habit, and the fact that those fingers are already there, second, because you can't really "add fingers" when you're braking without partly releasing (go ahead and try to do it fast, see what I mean). It's a difficult hand motion.

- You don't have enough strenght in those two fingers to really stop the bike NOW!. Because you're using index and middle, no? and they grab the inside of the lever, so not enough leverage... again, go ahead and try a couple emergency stops from say 40 mph with 2 fingers vs 4. If you use the other two, you'll crush the inner ones.

- If for some reason you brake hard enough, and the lever goes deep enough, you'll crush the other fingers on the grip (VERY painful!) and worse, you'll prevent the lever from going any further. Yes, I know. Don't ask.

I used to have this habit on my previous bikes, but a couple scares taught me you need FOUR and a "bare grip" (no fingers there) to STOP NOW! It took awfully long to unlearn the bad habit, and just a little while ago I caught myself doing it again on the GS - it came back when I changed my main ride. So I had to do an effort to unlearn it again... it's specially bad if you ride in city traffic a lot, 'cause with the frequent, light braking, you tend to leave them there. But it will bite back, even in city traffic. Hey, I may seem emotional about this, but I'm still unlearning it and just this morning riding to work I almost don't make it in time when I failed to see a "yield" sign and got in the way of a careening cage... Yep, my fault, bikers ain't perfect either. Yep, I had just inches to spare. And yep, when I looked down, I saw the dreaded two finger grip on the lever...

Two-finger braking is bad...

The SFIS.

...all maybe true for an older bike or a cruiser.

On any modern sport bike? You barely need ONE finger to lock up the front brakes.

Both my bikes have so-so front brakes, and I use four fingers any time I'm using the front brake, whether I'm covering it or not. Despite what all the naysayers shout, I have absolutely no troulbe controlling the throttle like this, even blipping for downshifts while braking with four fingers. I do have large hands and very long fingers though.

Badasses might screw with another badass. Nobody screws with a nut job. -- Plaka
LuciferMutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2013, 09:03 AM   #28
joexr
Banned

Oddometer: 3,534
I cover the clutch with one finger , don't cover the brake. Always brake with one finger , even back when with drum brakes. Oh and I'm not a two footed driver in a car either. You know , the ones with the brake light on and the melted lenses.
joexr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 07:17 AM   #29
BanjoBoy
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 860
One. Mah bike gotz good brakes.
Old 05-05-2013, 07:37 AM   #30
sieg
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,163
I always cover the clutch and brake with one finger. The index finger on road. The middle finger off road, so I can hang on with my thumb and index finger. The controls are adjusted so they operate fully without smashing my other fingers and I can lock the wheel with one finger. YRMV

sieg screwed with this post 05-05-2013 at 03:57 PM
sieg is offline   Reply With Quote