ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How many fingers do you use to cover the front brake?
one 27 11.16%
two 170 70.25%
three 19 7.85%
four 26 10.74%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-05-2013, 08:57 AM   #31
Squarehead
Crazed Lunatic

Oddometer: 55
who needs whole fingers?

The 2004 R1150RS stops on a dime using 1/2 a finger..........Got to love those whizzy brakes.....

2004 R1150RS, anybody wanna trade for a 1150GS ???
Squarehead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 04:30 PM   #32
Mr_Snips
Husky BRAAAAAAAAP!

Oddometer: 352
Quote:
Originally Posted by zero-zero View Post
Developing a habit of covering the brake with two fingers is BAD - I had seen it discussed on some websites, but disregarded it... till I felt the (almost) pain myself.

Problem is, if you get used to riding with two fingers on the lever, when an emergency situation calls for full brakes, you are not going to make it!

Bullshit, I'm hearing. But here's the facts, at least true in my case:

- If you are used to do light braking with two fingers, when you need to really squeeze, you'll do it with two fingers too! one, because of habit, and the fact that those fingers are already there, second, because you can't really "add fingers" when you're braking without partly releasing (go ahead and try to do it fast, see what I mean). It's a difficult hand motion.

- You don't have enough strenght in those two fingers to really stop the bike NOW!. Because you're using index and middle, no? and they grab the inside of the lever, so not enough leverage... again, go ahead and try a couple emergency stops from say 40 mph with 2 fingers vs 4. If you use the other two, you'll crush the inner ones.

- If for some reason you brake hard enough, and the lever goes deep enough, you'll crush the other fingers on the grip (VERY painful!) and worse, you'll prevent the lever from going any further. Yes, I know. Don't ask.

I used to have this habit on my previous bikes, but a couple scares taught me you need FOUR and a "bare grip" (no fingers there) to STOP NOW! It took awfully long to unlearn the bad habit, and just a little while ago I caught myself doing it again on the GS - it came back when I changed my main ride. So I had to do an effort to unlearn it again... it's specially bad if you ride in city traffic a lot, 'cause with the frequent, light braking, you tend to leave them there. But it will bite back, even in city traffic. Hey, I may seem emotional about this, but I'm still unlearning it and just this morning riding to work I almost don't make it in time when I failed to see a "yield" sign and got in the way of a careening cage... Yep, my fault, bikers ain't perfect either. Yep, I had just inches to spare. And yep, when I looked down, I saw the dreaded two finger grip on the lever...

Two-finger braking is bad...

The SFIS.
There is just so much wrong with this post. Its plain bad info.

Its hard but alot of people have gotten good at doing it. I'll be the first one to say that i always cover the brake with 1 finger in normal situations but when i see the chance of needing to stop quickly i'll throw that middle finger up there too. The brakes on my ktm 990 are more than sufficent to lock the front with 1 finger.

Now this is silly. The weakness on most bikes (i stress this as most) is the tires not the actual brakes in a single panic stop. Almost all bikes can lock up the front brake in a single stop. You may feel like you have more control or whatever when you use 4 fingers on the brake lever but what happens when you hit a pot hole doing so and now you just knocked your hand off the bars because you have nothing wrapping around the bar?

IF your brakes arent stopping you at the limit of traction before your crushing your fingers than your lever is either poorly adjusted or the braking system needs some lovin...whether that be a new set of pads, a good bleeding to remove the air and old fluid, adjusting the lever, or in the worst case scenario trying some new levers with different bends that dont crush your fingers.

[COLOR="rgb(255, 0, 255)"]This is just plain old dangerous. If your "bear gripping" the lever your already on a path to lock the front and hurt yourself or others. The braking force needs to be applied smoothly and not jabbed on in a bear grip.[/COLOR]

This is just plain stupid.
Mr_Snips is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2013, 09:10 PM   #33
corndog67
Banned

Oddometer: 1,281
Quote:
Developing a habit of covering the brake with two fingers is BAD - I had seen it discussed on some websites, but disregarded it... till I felt the (almost) pain myself.

Problem is, if you get used to riding with two fingers on the lever, when an emergency situation calls for full brakes, you are not going to make it!

- If you are used to do light braking with two fingers, when you need to really squeeze, you'll do it with two fingers too! one, because of habit, and the fact that those fingers are already there, second, because you can't really "add fingers" when you're braking without partly releasing (go ahead and try to do it fast, see what I mean). It's a difficult hand motion.

- You don't have enough strenght in those two fingers to really stop the bike NOW!. Because you're using index and middle, no? and they grab the inside of the lever, so not enough leverage... again, go ahead and try a couple emergency stops from say 40 mph with 2 fingers vs 4. If you use the other two, you'll crush the inner ones.

- If for some reason you brake hard enough, and the lever goes deep enough, you'll crush the other fingers on the grip (VERY painful!) and worse, you'll prevent the lever from going any further. Yes, I know. Don't ask.

I used to have this habit on my previous bikes, but a couple scares taught me you need FOUR and a "bare grip" (no fingers there) to STOP NOW! It took awfully long to unlearn the bad habit, and just a little while ago I caught myself doing it again on the GS - it came back when I changed my main ride. So I had to do an effort to unlearn it again... it's specially bad if you ride in city traffic a lot, 'cause with the frequent, light braking, you tend to leave them there. But it will bite back, even in city traffic. Hey, I may seem emotional about this, but I'm still unlearning it and just this morning riding to work I almost don't make it in time when I failed to see a "yield" sign and got in the way of a careening cage... Yep, my fault, bikers ain't perfect either. Yep, I had just inches to spare. And yep, when I looked down, I saw the dreaded two finger grip on the lever...

The SFIS.
Depends on the bike Roberto. My KTM will stand it on the front wheel with one finger, using about 1/4 of the travel. With onebor two fingers, not a problem, with travel of the lever or power.

My Ducati wasn't quite as strong, but still plenty strong with 2 fingers and wouldn't even come close to your other fingers.

Then there is the Sportster. You can use both hands and still not have enough braking.

So, in my opinion, it completely depends on the bike.
corndog67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 01:15 AM   #34
killianm
Adventurer

Oddometer: 89
Two

I'm in the Two Finger club. Similar experience that all the bikes I've had could be stood up on the front wheel with two fingers. I usually ride covering the brake and the clutch. When it's really cold I do hang on the heated grips tighter unless I have on my gerbing gloves. I also grab on when it gets rough off road. I'm not sure if this is correct or not. I haven't mastered the standing and covering the brake and clutch and still feeling confident that the handle bars won't be ripped from my hands.
Old 05-06-2013, 04:48 AM   #35
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,778
Not this shit again........
Old 05-06-2013, 06:40 AM   #36
jnclem
True Airhead

Oddometer: 387
I just use two toes on my right foot. You people aren't talking about touching that lever up on the right side of the handlebars are you?
jnclem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2013, 07:17 AM   #37
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,241
One, servo-ABS!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 04:09 AM   #38
opmike
Choosing to be here.

Oddometer: 334
Quote:

The SFIS.
What kind of motorcycle do you have?

To answer the question, I use two fingers on my motorcycle and mountain bike. In either case, two fingers is enough to either rapidly lock the front or send me over the bars on my bikes. I'd refuse to own any vehicle that required brute force to achieve maximum braking.
"you want to fix the Pledge of Allegiance, put a disclaimer at the end: with liberty and justice for all...must be 18, void where prohibited, some restrictions may apply, not available in all states."
opmike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 05:26 AM   #39
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 50,241
Quote:
Originally Posted by opmike View Post
What kind of motorcycle do you have?

To answer the question, I use two fingers on my motorcycle and mountain bike. In either case, two fingers is enough to either rapidly lock the front or send me over the bars on my bikes. I'd refuse to own any vehicle that required brute force to achieve maximum braking.
At least an 11 year old one!

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 09:39 AM   #40
Wobbleside
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 150
Two fingers on my current Multistrada. It only takes 1 for max braking but two is more comfortable on my hand.
I cover the brakes in heavy traffic, while lane sharing and in cities were I can't see very far and there are blind drives and alleys or stupid pedestrians. So I really only don't cover the brakes while riding in the hills or on lonely roads at weird times of day.
Wobbleside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2013, 08:31 PM   #41
Flashmo
Whatever...

Oddometer: 2,546
Two on the brake, two on the clutch (with a shortened clutch lever).

Dirt or heavy traffic.
Flashmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 04:26 AM   #42
Bubbachicken
learning fast!

Oddometer: 30
Eek NO fingers

I was taught in my MSF course to cover the clutch, and NOT cover the brake. I have only had to emergency stop on the street once so far, and it was in the rain. Had I had a pre-existing grip on the brake I am not sure what the difference would have been (I still managed to lock 'em both up on an older bike with drum in the rear and dual disk front - 81 CB650C), but they rolled again and I was fine upon massaging the situation mid-slide. At least I did not get all sideways, but I did manage to slide forward quite a ways, through the red light (driving too fast for conditions, sleet/rain and almost frozen pavement with very cold temperatures outside (maybe 35 degrees or a shade less??), lesson firmly and effectively learned).

In MSF class, it rained all that weekend, and the lot they used was slick as owl poo, and during those emergency stop drills on the Buell Blast, I was able to stop pretty danged fast, in fact faster than the instructor anticipated I could. Suppose my fat azz helped, not sure, to retain traction!

In any case, I do therefore cover the clutch (as taught) but I do NOT cover the brake. Not even with one finger. I still get there danged quickly when needed, and have seen no reason to lay fingers across it while idling along at all. Besides, what happens if you hit a bump or mis-shift, something, with fingers on the brake lever? It seems you would be applying brakes unintentionally, to me. Maybe it is just that I am new (riding since only mid-December 2012), but I still do it as taught in class. Clutch only, no brake coverage. So far, it has worked just fine.
Bubbachicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:06 AM   #43
Reduxalicious
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 139
For the most part my fingers are on my throttle, I usually have a two fingers covering my clutch, Unless I'm in a heavy congest traffic situation, then I cover the front brake as needed.
Reduxalicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:30 AM   #44
Maggot12
U'mmmm yeaah!!

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by Reduxalicious View Post
For the most part my fingers are on my throttle, I usually have a two fingers covering my clutch, Unless I'm in a heavy congest traffic situation, then I cover the front brake as needed.
This for me...

Don't sweat the petty things; Pet the sweaty things !!!
Maggot12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 11:03 AM   #45
SteelJM1
Undercover KTM rider

Oddometer: 1,607
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbachicken View Post
I was taught in my MSF course to cover the clutch, and NOT cover the brake. I have only had to emergency stop on the street once so far, and it was in the rain. Had I had a pre-existing grip on the brake I am not sure what the difference would have been (I still managed to lock 'em both up on an older bike with drum in the rear and dual disk front - 81 CB650C), but they rolled again and I was fine upon massaging the situation mid-slide. At least I did not get all sideways, but I did manage to slide forward quite a ways, through the red light (driving too fast for conditions, sleet/rain and almost frozen pavement with very cold temperatures outside (maybe 35 degrees or a shade less??), lesson firmly and effectively learned).

In MSF class, it rained all that weekend, and the lot they used was slick as owl poo, and during those emergency stop drills on the Buell Blast, I was able to stop pretty danged fast, in fact faster than the instructor anticipated I could. Suppose my fat azz helped, not sure, to retain traction!

In any case, I do therefore cover the clutch (as taught) but I do NOT cover the brake. Not even with one finger. I still get there danged quickly when needed, and have seen no reason to lay fingers across it while idling along at all. Besides, what happens if you hit a bump or mis-shift, something, with fingers on the brake lever? It seems you would be applying brakes unintentionally, to me. Maybe it is just that I am new (riding since only mid-December 2012), but I still do it as taught in class. Clutch only, no brake coverage. So far, it has worked just fine.
That's weird... i never cover the clutch on the streetbike, only the brakes. I don't see the point in covering the clutch.
SteelJM1 is offline   Reply With Quote