ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > The perfect line and other riding myths
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

View Results: How many fingers do you use to cover the front brake?
one 27 11.16%
two 170 70.25%
three 19 7.85%
four 26 10.74%
Voters: 242. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-09-2013, 01:36 PM   #46
JimVonBaden
"Cool" Aid!

Oddometer: 49,431
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteelJM1 View Post
That's weird... i never cover the clutch on the streetbike, only the brakes. I don't see the point in covering the clutch.
Same here.

Jim
JimVonBaden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 01:54 PM   #47
Mgbgt89
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,514
Quote:
Originally Posted by corndog67 View Post
Depends on the bike Roberto. My KTM will stand it on the front wheel with one finger, using about 1/4 of the travel. With onebor two fingers, not a problem, with travel of the lever or power.

My Ducati wasn't quite as strong, but still plenty strong with 2 fingers and wouldn't even come close to your other fingers.

Then there is the Sportster. You can use both hands and still not have enough braking.

So, in my opinion, it completely depends on the bike.
Yep. My KTM will easily put the rear tire skyward with a lightish pull of the index finger. If i grabbed a fist full it would be instant lockup.

My CB350F, like you said, both hands wouldn't be enough.
Mgbgt89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:22 PM   #48
Jays-f800gs
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 246
Usually 3, two in the pink and one in the stink!
Jays-f800gs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2013, 06:31 PM   #49
pne
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 670
I have medium size hands, I can barely reach the brake lever with one finger stretched, couldn't ride like that with the throttle open at all. On street master cylinders if I set the reach for 1 finger, the lever would be crushing my other fingers when braking hard. Although there was one bike I rode where I could actually brake with 1 finger, a husaberg supermoto with a 6 piston caliper and oversized front rotor.
pne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 04:09 AM   #50
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jays-f800gs View Post
Usually 3, two in the pink and one in the stink!
And it only took until post 48......
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:18 AM   #51
goofus
Swamp Yankee 4Life

Oddometer: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbachicken View Post
I was taught in my MSF course to cover the clutch, and NOT cover the brake.
The MSF BRC course curriculum is state-mandatory in CT for new licenses. And by the book, putting your any less than all fingers other than your thumb on the clutch or brake lever is a no-no. They will watch you and grade you down if they see that- covering or actually using the lever.

Rationale- whether its always true or not- is that something attached to those finger now under the lever could prevent you from engaging either the clutch or brake as far as possible.

I have been 2-fingering for my whole life on the trails, moreso going with smaller levers. I got yelled at over and over and was graded down on my final test score for it.
Old 05-10-2013, 11:57 AM   #52
mfgc2310
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 137
There are two types of braking

1. Stopping
2. Slowing down

If you decide you are stopping grab with 4.

If you are slowing down grab with 4 or less, or whatever you have on the lever.

If you need 4 fingers just to slow down you need to get your bike looked at.

I don't think keeping a few fingers on the lever prevents you from grabbing with 4 if you decide you are stopping and when you are not stopping, helps greatly with controlling the bike and using the throttle while using the brake.

As for the clutch side do you really need to pull the lever all the way in disengage the clutch ?! Definitely 2 fingers all the time - much greater control.

Last thing I would say is stopping is highly over rated - chances are it won't save you and will probably get you into more trouble. If you find yourself going into stopping mode you probably made an earlier mistake and should learn to avoid that instead of braking with 4 fingers and doing hand exercises so you can bend the levers.
mfgc2310 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:06 PM   #53
hooliken
Awesome is a flavor

Oddometer: 2,761
Quote:
Originally Posted by goofus View Post
The MSF BRC course curriculum is state-mandatory in CT for new licenses. And by the book, putting your any less than all fingers other than your thumb on the clutch or brake lever is a no-no. They will watch you and grade you down if they see that- covering or actually using the lever.

Rationale- whether its always true or not- is that something attached to those finger now under the lever could prevent you from engaging either the clutch or brake as far as possible.

I have been 2-fingering for my whole life on the trails, moreso going with smaller levers. I got yelled at over and over and was graded down on my final test score for it.
Read this thread from post #103 onward.

http://advrider.com/forums/showthrea...=828490&page=7

Therefore the "One Finger Braker" under my name. Some folks on here get twisted up about this.......in a real comical, please STFU, way.
hooliken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:12 PM   #54
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,443
Two fingers on both with shortly adjustable levers, and I adjust them so they are far enough out that I can stop with two fingers without the clutch hitting my gloves (Held or A*) and the brake is the same. I switch to four only if I get stuck at a light or something.
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 12:44 PM   #55
rbrsddn
3banger

Oddometer: 2,457
I alway's use 2 fingers on the front brake, especially when I have to slow down Now. It takes too much time to get 4 fingers on the lever, and isn't necessary with 320 mm discs and sintered pads. I think the 4 finger proponents probably never rode dirt bikes, where 2 fingers are the norm. Just adjust your levers so you don't squash the other fingers...
rbrsddn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 03:47 PM   #56
High Country Herb
Adventure Connoiseur

Oddometer: 7,131
I cover the front brake with 2 fingers. I live in deer country. 2 is enough to easily lock the brake, so I still have to be careful in emergency stops. The lever never moves enough to crush my other fingers. If I get out on the open highway, I will ease up and move my hands around.

I taught my wife to do this, then heard she would be criticized for it in her upcoming BRC course, so she had to unlearn it real quick.
High Country Herb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 11:03 PM   #57
Wraith Rider
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,212
4 fingers here. I'm just not strong enough for full braking with only 2 fingers. Maybe I could do it but I would have much less feel. Also I cover the brake with 4 fingers in potentially risky situations.

However if someone does it in another way, that's ok to me. It's just how it works best for me.
Old 05-11-2013, 05:20 AM   #58
Tripped1
Likely Lost.

Oddometer: 7,443
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbrsddn View Post
I alway's use 2 fingers on the front brake, especially when I have to slow down Now. It takes too much time to get 4 fingers on the lever, and isn't necessary with 320 mm discs and sintered pads. I think the 4 finger proponents probably never rode dirt bikes, where 2 fingers are the norm. Just adjust your levers so you don't squash the other fingers...
Better yet, the newer carbon compounds pads and monoblock radials calipers. I LOVE the newer braking technology.

....they have so much stopping power with such great feel
Tripped1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:52 AM   #59
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 444
I change it up often. If I need throttle when I am pulling off from an incline I will use two. When just covering the front brake I use two. When coming to a nice easy stop or quick stop I will often use four.

The index alone does not work for me on the GS since it is too short.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:53 AM   #60
N-m
Captain 2 Sexy

Oddometer: 444
Quote:
Originally Posted by High Country Herb View Post
I cover the front brake with 2 fingers. I live in deer country. 2 is enough to easily lock the brake, so I still have to be careful in emergency stops. The lever never moves enough to crush my other fingers. If I get out on the open highway, I will ease up and move my hands around.

I taught my wife to do this, then heard she would be criticized for it in her upcoming BRC course, so she had to unlearn it real quick.
I often cover or hold when stopped with two fingers. The instructor got on me about this during only certain drills because he did not want me to reflexively grab the front brake. Other times it was necessary.
N-m is offline   Reply With Quote