ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Regional forums > West California, the desert southwest and whatever is left
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-08-2010, 06:31 PM   #1
BigT OP
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 871
What's the best time of year to ride from CA to UT & AZ?

When I say best time of year, what I mean is the time of year that poses the least risk of severe weather (high temps, low temps, high winds, heavy rain, lightning, more lightning, even more lightning).

OK I'll admit it, lightning is my greatest fear when on a bike (or in general). I don't like lightning unless it's at a safe distance and I have a lightning-proof place to hide inside of when it gets close.

I spent some time living in Moab in the late 80's, working for a white water rafting outfit (Tag-A-Long Expeditions), so I'm quite familiar with the fear associated with super-close lightning strikes, and I know I want nothing to do with them when on a bike.

If I recall correctly, late May, June, July and August are pretty hot months in Utah, so I'm guessing Arizona, a state I've never visited, is about the same.

I'd like to see the Grand Canyon (before I die), Flagstaff, and anything else anyone can suggest.

Thanks.

BigT screwed with this post 03-06-2011 at 02:41 PM
BigT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 06:58 PM   #2
azweasie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
april or early may are pretty nice in az usually
azweasie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:02 PM   #3
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
If you lived in Moab in late 80's....good on ya ....I spent a lot of time in the mid nineties after everyone found it, I guess i was one of them... I can only imagine how it was back in the day, my first visit in 86/87 was nothing like my last. I read Ed Abby now and again ... and daydream...
anyway...the temps down AZ way can get mighty hot, in july and you have to consider the Monsoons in July and Aug.. But...if you go to the North Rim of GC, you are going to be cold in late April and May. So as a rule go to the south rim first and then work around Page to Kanab and the north rim later...YOu got to put Sadona on you list of places to visit too, just south of Flag it really is worth the side trip, Kind of like Moab with out the people.. and close to PHX..

Good luck and enjoy your trip,,,stay safe...
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 08:19 PM   #4
BigT OP
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr B
If you lived in Moab in late 80's....good on ya ....I spent a lot of time in the mid nineties after everyone found it...
I've got a friend in Flagstaff who's told me that if I want to remember Moab fondly, don't ever go back. Now I'm a little afraid to..

Back in '89-90 it was still a small town with no "big name" businesses of any kind, and that's really how I'd like to remember it.
Old 03-08-2010, 08:54 PM   #5
KTMDAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
i have made 10 trips from San Francisco to Utah,Colorado and Az. I have allways gone last week of June first week of July. Never have I had a bad trip. A little wet here and ther , but nothing to worry about.

Oh yea big thumbs up for the North Rim of the Grand Canyon! Book a cabin right near the rim and enjoy,there is nothing like sitting in a rocking chair with a beer in your hand watching the sunset.
KTMDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 09:17 PM   #6
BigT OP
Studly Adventurer

What are these cabins you mention? Got a link?
Old 03-08-2010, 09:54 PM   #7
azweasie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 155
Eek

AVOID SEDONA!!!!! no really big ol tourist trap . too much traffic ,too many tourists taking pink jeep tours and buying things with kokopelli printed on it.just imagine solvang x10. oak creek canyon from flag to sedona is a pretty nice ride if you do it before the tourists jam up the road.
azweasie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2010, 10:01 PM   #8
Benjava
?

Oddometer: 1,920
I would do that no later than the second half of May.
Old 03-08-2010, 10:04 PM   #9
TUCKERS
the famous james

Oddometer: 11,625
I'd go for May, June or Sep, Oct.

Anywhere north of the 10 fwy or especially north of 40 fwy at higher elevations can be snow till April.

Anywhere south of the 10/40 WILL be hot in summer months.

That's a big mix Utah and AZ. Could be 80F in Cedar City UT and 118F in Phoenix AZ on the same day.

Me, I go in early September when schools/colleges go back
TUCKERS is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 08:14 AM   #10
KTMDAD
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 354
http://foreverlodging.com/lodging.cfm?PropertyKey=181
KTMDAD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 11:27 AM   #11
BigT OP
Studly Adventurer

Sorry, I ride a KLR650, I can't afford those rates.

Thanks for the link, though.
Old 03-09-2010, 12:19 PM   #12
herrhelmet
A Serious Man

Oddometer: 2,369
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigT
Sorry, I ride a KLR650, I can't afford those rates.

Thanks for the link, though.
I live in both CA and UT, and have ridden both directions. I would go late September to late October--- you will get nicer slightly cooler desert weather and the higher elevations will be clear of mud and snow. There's a ton up in Utah right now and some of the best riding is above 6,000 ft. You have to check out the Panguitch trail if you're on a KLR.

If you go Spring or early summer this year, you will most definitely deal with some left over sludge.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:25 PM   #13
AirDrive
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 247
Agree totally with September or early October. Moderate Temps CA, UT, and AZ plus, Tioga pass (120) and Sonora Pass (108) would still be clear, and those are great rides.

If you don't go.....you won't have a story.
DN
AirDrive is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2010, 02:35 PM   #14
BigT OP
Studly Adventurer

Yeah, Tioga, 108, 120, 49, etc. are all great roads, but I was invited on a ride to Moab next month (April), so I was hoping I would hear April was the best time to travel.

Oh well, no such luck I guess.
Old 03-09-2010, 02:50 PM   #15
Mr B
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 490
If I remember correctly the fall, Sept early Oct is the best for sunsets and everyone is dead on with the tempts. But for me, I really liked the March trips to Moab, beat the crowds and the trails where somewhat fresh from the spring/winter weather....

Now you got me thinking and planning, how to tell the wife...?
Mr B is offline   Reply With Quote