Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Hacks
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-16-2010, 08:53 PM   #1
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 318
Why would the Ural have pilot jets this big?

Got all three wheels off of dad's 2006 Ural Tourist tonight to change tires so out of curiosity we pulled a float bowl off the left side carbs to just find out first hand what size jets were in it. MInd you, this bike has nothing done to it. Stock pontoon mufflers, stock air cleaner, to our knowledge the cats are still in it, etc. It's getting BAD gas mileage (20-25 mpg) and we were told it was "jetted" when he bought it. So, I assume they had stuffed 45 pilots and 130 mains in it which is why the mileage was down with no other modifications done.

I pull float bowls tonight to find 65 Pilots and 135 mains with the mixture screws just a 1/2 turn out! (stock Keihin carbs) What the hell? I understand why the 1/2 turn out with that huge of a pilot, but why in god's name is it jetted that rich. More importantly, how is it running so well? Granted, it's using fuel and isn't overflowing with power, but what the hell? As you can imagine, the plugs are pretty black. 135 mains I can sort of understand, but 65 pilots???

So, he's going to stop by the local Honda/Yamaha/Kawasaki dealer tomorrow and see if they've got a set of 45/130 jets in stock. We're also going to look at checking the catalytic converter situation this weekend too.
Old 06-16-2010, 09:26 PM   #2
Ivan Rider
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 530
I'd take a closer look. There are 3 jets in the carb. I believe the 65 is a mid range thing. I think you missed the pilot jet that is up inside a tube.
'10 Ural ST Solo
http://www.flickr.com/photo s/ivanrider/
Ivan Rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2010, 09:33 PM   #3
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So its recessed up in the body? THen no, that's not th one I pulled. I was unaware that there were THREE jets in those carbs? What funciton does that serve?
Old 06-16-2010, 09:49 PM   #4
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

So I found a good picture set and it appears I pulled the starter jet and not hte pilot. I'll have to check it out tomorrow night and see what's REALLY in it. That 65 kind of freaked me out!
Old 06-17-2010, 12:33 AM   #5
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,328
Ha! This is funny. SAME thing just happened to me tonight when I was checking the jets on the 08 Gear-Up I just bought from another inmate. Pulled the 65's and thought those were the pilots. I've never seen 3 jets on a carb before, ever.

But I did find 3 .025 brass washers and a lock washer that measured about .060 on each needle! How's that for shimmin!

Removed the cats and headin' to the dealer tomorrow for some 42 pilots and 130 mains.
Old 06-17-2010, 01:11 AM   #6
IsAnOzzie
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 260
130/45 is about the most I have heard of and what I run, co cats home made exhaust (like modtop) http://www.myural.com/keihin_32cvk_disassembly.htm
check this link for carb details
Old 06-17-2010, 06:26 AM   #7
chambersc OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Yeah, now I'm really interested in making it back by there to check out the real pilot jets. I just could not believe it was running as well as it did with a pilot in it that BIG. I was not aware that these things had swappable starter jets. That's kind of cool, but not very common, is it?

I'll go slink away to my corner and shut up now...
Old 06-17-2010, 09:41 AM   #8
Techno
UKGSer Tosser

Oddometer: 10
I pulled mine out and thougth I had a 65 not a 45. Like you, some looking on the web revealed it was the starter jet (the 65 one) went looking for the pilot - it is 38 not 40 or 45. Main jet is 135. I run a 2-1 and single modtop style exhaust. Still get 30MPG (that's UK gallons) and it pops on over-run so might up it to a 45. Not sure that will help ?

Techno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2010, 04:35 PM   #9
azabeemerboy
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,593
Original owner did shim her based on a dealer rec --- Forgot

Quote:
Originally Posted by azgsa
Ha! This is funny. SAME thing just happened to me tonight when I was checking the jets on the 08 Gear-Up I just bought from another inmate. Pulled the 65's and thought those were the pilots. I've never seen 3 jets on a carb before, ever.

But I did find 3 .025 brass washers and a lock washer that measured about .060 on each needle! How's that for shimmin!

Removed the cats and headin' to the dealer tomorrow for some 42 pilots and 130 mains.
Old 06-17-2010, 04:53 PM   #10
azgsa
Apathetic

Oddometer: 1,328
Quote:
Originally Posted by azabeemerboy
Original owner did shim her based on a dealer rec --- Forgot
Hey Barry

I remembered seeing something in the paperwork you gave me with a bunch of shims on it. Figured the dealer did it. I don't know what the hell they were thinkin... I was wonderin' why it was SO sluggish in the mid-range after it warmed up On our Ural rides this last weekend guys were on my ass leaving every stoplight. Stopped by Logan's today and picked up 130 mains (and an adventure kit skid plate for upcoming off-road ride this weekend), already had some 42 pilots from my recently sold Bonneville. Changed all the phillips heads on the float bowls and slide covers to stainless allen socket bolts last night and de-catted it. Itchin' to get home and put the new jets on and take it out.

Thanks again for the great deal and being patient with the screwy shippers (the last driver got fired when he got back to PHX 'cause he texted the shipping companie's owner's wife a picture of his junk by accident ) This bike is a hoot and I made a bunch of new nutty Ural friends.