User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-22-2010, 01:35 PM   #1
PHILinFRANCE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,119
Mt Ventoux .... France

Our first trip into the Pre Alps in the HAUTE-PROVENCE region of France so realy looking forward to it.
Loaded up the bike the night before and left ours at 8.30am with a 9hr ride in front of us!!!! but hey we wanted to get over there as we only had 6 days.
1st stop at Rodez after 3hrs and had a Mc Merde

the route from here about 50 miles was mainly highway but did pass some high points !!!
Jax took this on the move of Severac-le-Chateau

Got of the highway and headed for Mende where the GPS cooked and all i had was a map of France that didn,t show the smaller routes so we followed this guy for about 20 miles on great sweeping roads down into the valley and out !!! when he pulled over we got to have a chat and found out he,d just bought this big hairy suzuki and he,s 73 and was having a ball of a time !!! there,s life in the French boy yet

Found a shop and bought a map of the area and lucky for us this route took us through thr Gourge-de-Ardeche

Pushed on from here to get to the digs for the night !!! hot but still smiling

Our hostes John and Marge had cold beers waiting friends for life now chewed the fat till early hours and they insisted on giving us a guided tour of Mt Ventoux and surounding area.... just an excuse to get out on the Tiger

Me Jax and John on top of Mt Ventoux

On the way down they took us through loads of lavender fields

The scent was out of this world

Day two we headed off on our own to see what was round every corner !!! i,d bought a cheep GPS for a car as a backup €99 and belive it or not it was great but most of the time we just did lefts and rights to see what was there !!!!! and look what we found!!!

Came across this 8th centry church 1300 years of births,deaths and marriages!!!!!! now thats HISTORY

Left here and headed of .... i don,t know where but it looked like this
and its still hot

Next day was cooler 34°c so headed for the hills again

The passes are called Colls over here !!! we did loads and many higher than this one but its the only photo

These lavender fields where at about 900m

Never been anywhere that smell so sweet

I,ll check where we are you go for a wee

Theres lots of fortified towns like this !!!!!! they must have been bad buggers way back when

As you,ve seen the lavender is everywhere and grows wild but they still sell bunches of it for €6 !!!!! Jax was a little offended at this so stole some from the road side

Had fantastic meals every night in Buis-les-Baronniers where we stayed but forgot the camera each time!!!
The next day we took it alittle easier and called in to Nyons where theres a load of Roman ruins .....with public toilets!!! heres a sample

Great place and a couple of thousand years old
Left here for another winding road to somewhere and came across this place , the temp. was over 40° by now so the drinking fountain was a god send

another old church!!!! well not that old at less than 400years

On the way back from here to the digs the rear shocker died so the last day and trip home might be a tad ass jarring !!!! but that wasn,t going to put us of!!!! just had to take the corners a little slower when fully loaded as she wallowed around a bit still we covered just over 400km like this.

11hrs to limp home but home we got and the day after ordered a new Hagon rear shocker and progerssive spring for thr forks and took the bike apart

Hpoe you enjoyed my little French tale !!!! going to the Volcano region in Sept !!! watch this space
Phil x Jax
Old 08-22-2010, 02:11 PM   #2
Mark.F
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 225
Nice report from a picturesque part of the world,one day I want to cycle up Mont Ventoux,it's a famous part of LeTour,would'nt fancy it in 40 degree heat though.
No problems with the bike in that heat? (apart from the boiled rear shock).
Mark.F is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 02:24 PM   #3
PHILinFRANCE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Mark
Guys were riding up it when we were there in that heat !!!!! mental if you ask me!!! there only saving grace was that at the top it was only 19° !!!! even the Vara was pinking a little near the top.
Phil
Old 08-22-2010, 02:32 PM   #4
Orangecicle
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,302
Aaaaargh

Lovely pictures. I miss France. My job (and income) keep me from traveling much, but my wife and I were in Paris in 2004. I can't wait to get back.

How do you like the Varadero? That is yet another one of the bikes that Honda will not bring to the US market. Oh well, guess I'll have to live with my 950 KTM Adventure.
Orangecicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2010, 03:04 PM   #5
PHILinFRANCE OP
Beastly Adventurer

Hi Bradhorn
Been living in France for 6 years now after 44 in the UK and love it !!! what a country and the rest of Europe is on my door step

I,m only 5ft 8in and got a custom seat for the Vara so i can flat foot both side!!! she,s one big heavy girl coming in at 531 lb dry but light as a feather over 20mph , she,ll cruise all day at 80mph and loves the twistties !!!! did 840km in 7hrs 45min from Calais to home this spring fully loaded only thing that ached was my mind
Phil
Old 08-30-2010, 01:53 PM   #6
lemovice
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 140
salut phil

tu fais partie de ces millier d'anglais qui on traversés la manche pour venir vivre chez nous soit le bienvenu

joli reportage

..._ +
lemovice is online now   Reply With Quote