Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-06-2010, 05:20 PM   #16
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,750
Rising at dawn and on the road. Traffic west is thin, more headed east. The Colorado border is crossed and I take the off ramp to Burlington. A few weeks before, I signed up for a free hat and I pick that up. It's my cap for the trip. The CO welcome center is doing a good business today, visitors and staff chatty and friendly.

Press on for Colorado Springs and Pikes Peak. I hope to meet a brother, nephew and an old friend on the mountian. I also have a Mefo rear to pick up from Apex Motorsports there.

By noon, make the Peak, find my family and friend and ride to the top.

We have vague plans to see the Pikes Peak Hill Climb the coming weekend and scout a couple of locations for spectating. It's starting to get late and we look for a camp site and luck out. We ride north toward Woodland Park. Just before town we take a right and the right fork and wind up on dirt roads and ridges opposite the mountian. Great camp sites up there and the road ends in the Garden of the Gods. On the way two other riders join us for the evening and in high spirits we make camp and enjoy the evening around the fire. Lies were told.

The ride down the next morning was beautiful.

Down in the Springs we are approached by a friendly inmate. I have my tire and we are gassing up, buying drinks and ice and dirtbound4Max shows up. He really looks distressed that he can't come and play, damn if he could he'd ride with us. He wishes us a safe trip and grumbles that he can't come again. Dude, you're a good guy, I bet we ride together one day. Later

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 07:18 PM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:28 PM   #17
DeeCee
Silver Surfer

Oddometer: 185
Nice shots! Garden of the Gods is somethin' else isn't it?
DeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2010, 05:42 PM   #18
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Yes, the Gardens is really worth a stop, especially if you ride right into it after camping for the night.

My party read my ride report from last summer and is avid to ride out of town on the Old Stage to Gold Camp. If you get a chance, you should too.

We ride into Cripple Creek for a walk up and down mainstreet. Unless you gamble, activity seems limited. We picked a road heading south to Salida out of Cripple Creek. Rocky vista and canyon dreams awaited us.

Ruggedly beautiful views that are exotic to easterners, especially after the plains. We happily tooled along, taking in the sights. Down the canyon as the walls narrow, mountian goats scramble away quickly in the bramble and red scree. This is really a magical area and I encourage east coast riders of a certian vintage to take this route into the mountians. If you grew up on westerns and played cowboy and indians, this will nourish you.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 05:59 PM
Old 07-06-2010, 07:27 PM   #19
NewHampWoodsRider
Tag Captor

Oddometer: 458
Great reporting!!!!!!!!!!!!!
NewHampWoodsRider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2010, 04:32 PM   #20
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Salida, we decide to get a motel and I want to change and balance my new rear Mefo.
Dinner and beer in the nearby Mex place and then a little rear wheel work.

Plywood found behind the motel protects the carpet. Lube helps the change go fast. A quick balance on the Gobi bags and wow, that Mefo balanced fast. Little blue 10 buck pump pops out the bead. On the road again!

I'll haul the scorp around, leaving it in camp with gear for lighter day trips. There is enough meat on that tire to spoon it on for the trip back. Ain't that a pretty tread?

The next morning we head down to the famous Fattees. The owner isn't around to advise us tourists of good roads but we are happy to leave with Safety Third and Salida peace stickers. On to Taylor Park.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 05:46 PM
Old 07-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #21
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Old Monarch Pass to Taylor Park is a treat. Pitcan, Tincup and everything in between.

The meadows at the bottom of the pass.

Heading up Cumberland Pass after Pitcan.

Cumberland Pass

Taylor Park is below the snow capped mountians in the distance, that is the Divide my friends.

We ride into Tin Cup and hang a right to Mirror lake.

A number of fishermen and women have full stringers of trout. They are casting clear glass globes of water waayy out, bait on a hook following. Beautiful. Follow the road to the left and that leads to Tin Cup Pass. I'll ride that by myself in a few days.

After a peaceful break in the sun, temp perfect, we ride back down into Tin Cup. There we meet the Mayor.

She is one of 4 people that live here year 'round. Now to be fair she denied being the Mayor despite my insistance. I had a good time teasing her. She was lighting up a cigarette and I was asking her to "look at the camera and with the cigarette dangling from her lips and say 'kiss my ass." The cigarette had to "dangle". She was too much of a lady to do that but we had fun.

Roar in to Taylor Park after passing the Tin Cup sign.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-07-2010 at 05:55 PM
Old 07-07-2010, 06:07 PM   #22
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Taylor Park

This is Frank. He brought us fresh fried trout two nights in a row. He worked for the Air Force in the Springs and he loves the high country. He has been fishing and hunting this area for 45 years. He had a bunch of stories about hunting elk, mule deer, camping, fishing and is a great guy. Retired now, he spends as much time as he can camping with his wife.

Old 07-08-2010, 08:00 PM   #23
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
Thumb Hat's off to GreenFlyFarmer and Crew!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer

Old Monarch Pass to Taylor Park is a treat. Pitcan, Tincup and everything in between.

Great to see some Easterners out here in the high country!!!!!!!!! Believe it or not, I've been here since 1991 and I still haven't seen this area yet!! I will though! Great RR Man!!!!!!!!!!!
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:53 AM   #24
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

It's cold in the morning, but I'm warm and snug in my hammock. Talk around the growing morning fire centers on poor sleeping, being too cold. I slept like a log and generally do in the field. Finally I stir and make coffee. We decide to cross Cottonwood and ride north to Leadville.

The sun warms things up soon and we saddle up and ride to Cottonwood Pass. We meet friends on top.

The is the Hoodwinked Cousin from the popular ride report Palapa Chair.

Here is a pic of him in dirt trim, relaxing in Baja. He had never been on a dirt trip before but had a ball in Mexico.

Good meeting you Kurt.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 01:23 PM
Old 07-10-2010, 07:12 AM   #25
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Buenavista and a left north at the base of the mountian. I wonder what the the little hotspring resort is like on the bottom of the mountian as we pass. One of these days I resolve to try it out.

Gas up in Leadville and we discuss our options. Left to Hagerman or right to Mosquito. Mosquito it is. This should be fun.

The weather is crisp and clear, and the view above Leadville is inspiring.

The bottom from Leadville is fun and turns rocky and rutty quickly. Stand on the pegs and keep the pig on the gas.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 08:55 AM
Old 07-10-2010, 09:12 AM   #26
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

The first switchback is to the left and it is half covered in snow.

I need to run the pig into the deadend of the switchback, backup and then get a clear run at the next section. I'm short and can't reach or dab in off camber situations or tight turns. Of course rocks make it worse. But Mosquito is easily ridable albeit exciting on a big bike if you have experience and stay on the gas. Slow down below fast tractor and you'll wear yourself out. Go!

I take a pic and then get on the pegs and in the next big switchback to the right, I see an orange pig on the ground, wheels pointing up at an unusual angle.
Take your time to get lined up for the next section in those switchbacks. That second one has a BIG rock half way in, apparently it should be avoided. Only turn signals were harmed in the making of the ride report.

So here we are, picking up orange pigs and shaking off a get off and here comes a man and a woman RUNNING down the road. Hell she is IN A SKIRT! I can't catch my breath and they are running down the mountian. The wind is screaming and she says happily "hi, sure is hot today". Colorado, you have some tough people!

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 01:27 PM
Old 07-10-2010, 09:27 AM   #27
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Making the top is feels great and the views are wonderful.

Father and son at the top. Good experience for a recent high school grad.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 09:36 AM
Old 07-10-2010, 09:39 AM   #28
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Ok, we did not really try to find out too hard if Mosquito was open, but it was opined that it was by someone. We found out.

Now you should have heard the cussing and fussing from one of our party when they heard that the pass was snowed in. Who needs turn signals any way? You have a left arm still, right?

Ok turn around.

Luke seems happy.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 09:50 AM
Old 07-10-2010, 12:08 PM   #29
DeeCee
Silver Surfer

Oddometer: 185
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
My party read my ride report from last summer and is avid to ride out of town on the Old Stage to Gold Camp. If you get a chance, you should too.
I've ridden into Victor more than once on Gold Camp rd. F'ing awesome! The first time I got lost and ended up on the road that leads to the top of Cheyenne Mtn. I was on a street-ed KLX300 and was sweating bullets that I'd have the gas to get back.
DeeCee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 01:22 PM   #30
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtbound4Max
Great to see some Easterners out here in the high country!!!!!!!!! Believe it or not, I've been here since 1991 and I still haven't seen this area yet!! I will though! Great RR Man!!!!!!!!!!!
Tell you what, if it works out, I'll show you around in a summer or two. Wouldn't want you to get lost or anything.