Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-10-2010, 05:08 PM   #31
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,758
My party decided to hit Gunnison and pick out a motel. We got a couple of rooms at the Western Inn on the main drag of Tomichi Ave. It had big clean rooms, parking right in front of the room, and the Polish inn keeper was willing to wash a load of clothes for 5 bucks. She also said that if anyone has an ADV sticker on a bike they would get a 5% discount, so $65 a room. If you want to go cheap, 4 men and gear would fit in a room there. She also brought old rags to clean bikes so we wouldn't use her towels. Check it out. South side of the street, wagon wheel on the side of the office.

It seemed like I was the only one that wanted to ride, so I lightened my load and headed east out of town on 50. Took a left to Ohio City and hit the dirt again at Pitcan. It's nice through here and Ohio City looks small and cool. The main saloon is for sale there, if you are interested. Cumberland Pass, Tin Cup again and headed to Tin Cup pass.

The pass was closed but the store at Tin Cup said that the road was clear to the top.
It was spitting rain occasionally but the riding was great. It was fun to ride alone at my pace and enjoy that route again.

I haven't been up Tin Cup pass since 06 I think. My unburdened bike tractored up to the top.

View east.

The ride up is rocky but the road works up the mountian deep in the V of the pass without climbing up pricipitious sides. There were still snowy and muddy sections that had to be negotiated near the top. The rest of the ride was spent exploring side roads on the west of Taylor Park that dead ended heading high up in the mountians north. Super country.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 06:31 PM
Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2010, 06:47 PM   #32
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Rested and refreshed from nice beds and sheets the crew was ready to ride.

We headed south on 50 to 149. Some place in there I took a two track left trying to find a way east and south. We rode lots of two track and dirt roads in there. The country is cattle land, small ranches and hills covered in aspens. We saw two herds of elk, many small hunt camps, and ended up doing a fun little 50 mile loop, returning to 148.

If you look close in the center of the picture, you'll see elk. They were in the road below in the shade when they flushed out.

Trying to punch though to bigger roads we finally end up here.

Luke sitting on the pig during a break.

After wandering around in a loop, we finally come back out for a steep rocky decent to 149.

All this is just south of Gunnison and well worth riding. Lots of whoops and curves,
riders on smaller bikes would have a ball motorcrossing through here.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 06:40 PM
Old 07-10-2010, 07:04 PM   #33
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Back on 149 we headed south to the Powderhorn area and took a dirt left to Catherdral. Powderhorn is beautiful, the road follows a river, with ranches, grazing and small holdings mixed with very large concerns.

There is a fork in the road from Powderhorn, left to Los Pinos pass, and right to Catherdral.

This barn is actually a half a mile down the left fork to Los Pinos.

A bottom on the upper Powderhorn area.

This ride is a long beautiful stretch of good dirt road that will come out at Slumgullion above Lake City, our distination for the evening. We ride up the road to Engineer pass and find a nice place to camp. Out house within walking distance.

Chris and Alan setting up.

Mines just north of camp toward Lake City.

Pretty church on the back side of Lake City.

This camp had a magical quality to it. We were camped in aspens and rocks, with a strong branch hard by our camp. We had a roaring fire soon and even time for a short exploration up the mountian.

This road headed up the mountian behind camp.

It finally came out in this area.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 07:57 PM
Old 07-10-2010, 07:49 PM   #34
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

What I didn't know when we made camp was that Pike Snowden's cabin was just south of us toward the pass. This place is known as Snowden's park and it's a beautiful campsite. I camped here by myself a when the rest of the party decided to stay in Ouray.

If you want to camp at the bottom of Engineer this is the place. It's beautiful, quiet, Lake City is maybe 4 miles away, johnny house is a short walk through the trees and plenty of trees for hammocks. You can cook around the camp fire in grass. To find it, head south to Engineer pass. You'll pass through the mining area and see lots of bad campsites right on the water barely off the road to the left. Eventually, you'll see the first real right. That's good camping too. Next on the right is the johnny house and a pretty log cabin. The very next right is Snowden's park. There is a peaceful quality to this park that you'll find restful for your soul.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-10-2010 at 08:01 PM
Old 07-11-2010, 12:10 PM   #35
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Sometimes silence is healing, balm. Our world is noisy. Loud motors, wind rushing by, my hearing is about gone any way. Camping off by myself, I get the chance to hear the stars if I’ll listen. Night falls and things go still and my awareness expands out and up. The fire crackles and stray sparks float and hiss in the column of smoke wafting away.
I go to the mountains for sport and peace, opposite sides of the same coin. Days spent racing along with heart beating faster, evenings of sitting quiet while stillness reins.
Then my internal thoughts seem as loud as the small sounds nearby. It’s a mistake to avoid being alone and still in this loud world. I had two nights to myself, camping alone in the Rockies. Two is not enough really.

Old 07-11-2010, 04:37 PM   #36
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,135
Thanks
Old 07-11-2010, 04:56 PM   #37
goldo
Adventurer

Oddometer: 28
I can't tell you how envious I am. I haven't been to Colorado in almost ten years and it's been too long- time to go
goldo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 05:37 PM   #38
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
Sometimes silence is healing, balm. Our world is noisy. Loud motors, wind rushing by, my hearing is about gone any way. Camping off by myself, I get the chance to hear the stars if Ill listen. Night falls and things go still and my awareness expands out and up. The fire crackles and stray sparks float and hiss in the column of smoke wafting away.
I go to the mountains for sport and peace, opposite sides of the same coin. Days spent racing along with heart beating faster, evenings of sitting quiet while stillness reins.
Then my internal thoughts seem as loud as the small sounds nearby. Its a mistake to avoid being alone and still in this loud world. I had two nights to myself, camping alone in the Rockies. Two is not enough really.
I like the picture you put in my head.....TKS
Old 07-11-2010, 07:53 PM   #39
HBN
is car free

Oddometer: 11,936
I too enjoy my solitude. Camping in those aspens it shall be
HBurgNinja - The Thread | HBN Boondocking the Nation | Beards to Canada
HBN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 08:15 PM   #40
Dances_With_Trees
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 156
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer

Rampart Range Rd: Is that the larger or smaller overlook? Great RR.
Dances_With_Trees is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 04:37 PM   #41
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Thanks. Which outlook I can't say. However this road, Rampart is very close to town and excellent views of Pikes Peak and good camping. It's perfectly suited for those of us heading across the plains and getting into town from the east, that are looking for camping. Try it out.

Old 07-12-2010, 04:55 PM   #42
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

My friends headed off to Silverton via Cinnamon pass. I left my camp and rode to Engineer pass. We'd meet in a couple of days.

Mining and industrial ruins litter this area.

This road is great, rip it up and enjoy it.

The Alpine Loop roads are a blast!

Over the pass the road leads down to Animas Forks and the intersection of other roads and passes. Even above the tree line little purple flowers fringe the road and beyond it often drops off thousands of feet. What a place.

Feeling frisky, I dive left down Cinnamon wondering if I can intersect my party. I get down to American Basin and head up in the glacial carved valley. Never did see them and with my blood hot ran back over the pass to Animas Forks. Black, black down in the valley and before I can kick down the stand, lightning flashes and crashes hard in the southern bottom toward Silverton. California looks broody but Engineer is still clear so I head back up and at the cut off for Ouray the west is lighter. Let's go to Ouray!

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 06:48 PM
Old 07-12-2010, 05:28 PM   #43
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

The road to Ouray is great. The narrow road runs along with the mountian on the right and great views south across a great chasm. Mining ruins that look interesting are half way down and being by myself, I'm free to poke around.

Flywheel?

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 06:50 PM
Old 07-12-2010, 05:39 PM   #44
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

The ride down past this mining area is a ball but for the big bike rider it is better to go down. A series of rock steps runs for much of the way down in the trees. It would be a difficult technical run up the mountian for big dual sports. I ran into many more jeeps toward the bottom and had to curtail my speed. Poughkeepsie Gulch passed by and I remembered, it's apparently very tough so on down I rode. This road dumps out on a curve on the hard surface. Cruser riders gathered there kicking tires looked at me like I was an alien but chatted me up about my ride from Virginia after they saw my tag. Left to Ouray and a cold beer.

Main street north.

Main street south.

Cold beer ...

The beer was good, Bare Ass Brown from Silverton I think. The bar was filled in the middle of the afternoon with patrons watching the World Cup, apparently oblivious to all the good riding waiting. Heck man, let's ride to Silverton!

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-12-2010 at 05:47 PM
Old 07-12-2010, 05:56 PM   #45
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Soggy Silverton. It was raining hard by the time I got there. Little did I know that my friends were up California and it was snowing like mad. The typical weather was one reason I wanted to stay camped on the Lake City side. Every time I have been in this area, Silverton is cold and wet in the evening and Lake City was clear and dry.

It was feeling a little chancy to head back over the mountian in the rain, but all my gear was on that side so...

At the bottom of Animas Forks the rain was unabated and the air was frosty but the sky behind Engineer was a lighter gray as I got to the mine so over it is.

As soon as I made the pass and headed down the weather improved. At lower elevations it warmed up and by the base of the moutian it was balmy. Lake City and my camp were clear and under a late afternoon blue sky. Gas, water, beer and off to camp I went at Pike Snowden's park. Beautiful evening and night.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 06:53 PM