User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-12-2010, 06:04 PM   #46
SRMN8R
Down & Out

Oddometer: 2,979
Hey Karl,

You got an old turntable in the attic that I can borrow? Your pics have me hankerin' to put on my old John Denver albums!

Fantastic journey. I must go.

- Jimmy
SRMN8R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:10 PM   #47
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,742
Yes Jimmy, you ought to go my friend.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2010, 03:24 PM   #48
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

In the morning I puttered around camp and decided to do some chain cleaning. I discovered that the rivet on the master link was backed out just a little. It's my fault. After all these years I had never used a riveted chain and when replacing them, I always went back to a master link and clip. Been doing that for 40 some years now. I had never riveted a chain. Replaced the chain and sprockets before this trip and an inmate Mike loaned me his rivet tool. Apparently between me and the ride thus far, one of the rivets backed out just a little.

I squeezed it up and after breakfast rode to town. I was looking for a four wheeler rental place. And since 4 wheelers were thick as tics on a farm hound, I knew I could find one. 4 wheelers have chains don't they?

Well I pull up to one in Lake City and before I can get off the bike this guy walks up. I pull off my helmet and we start to talk and then I knew, I've met him before. "Where do I know you from?" He looked quizically at me then it hit me.

In 07 I rode the TAT with him. We started out in Jellico on the same day and for four or five days ran the trail together. He and his partner planned to ride all the way. We were planning to ride to AK/OK border.

Meet Dick Lane. Retired motorcycle and boat dealer out of Oklahoma. Rider, two wheeled tourist, and good guy.

Now

Now how about that?

Then

This was the day that we talked his buddy into going to the hospital to have his foot looked at. He had dropped his bike on his foot and it looked bad. It was broken. He kept riding. He's tough man.

This picture is where he asked me what I was taking a picture of. I said a damn fool and snapped the pic.

This pair rode to Alaska's Prudhoe Bay last summer. They plan to go to the tip of south america and if I play my cards right maybe they'll let me tag along for three weeks. This damn fool has many south of the border trips under his belt, Dick says 25 or so. He'd be a good guy to have with you, he wouldn't fold up under pressure.

Virginia, Oklahoma, Lake City Colorado, 4 wheeler shop, 2 years later, my poor rivet job.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 04:53 PM
Old 07-13-2010, 04:34 PM   #49
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Dick and I work on the chain some, but lacking the right tools, I'm dissatisfied. Gunnison is not far away but it's Monday. Shops are usually closed. I call Sun Sports the KTM dealer, Dick knows the owner, because in addition to BMW, his shop sells KTM. Closed. I call the other shop down the street and they are open and accomadating. Off to Gunnison, see you later Dick.

A few miles out of town a gangly youth, in penny loafers, chinos, oxford cloth shirt and back pack is thumbing. He has a pompador hair cut, when did you see one of those last? I give him a pair of goggles and without a helmet, a ride to the highway. He is heading to Montross. Good passenger, I told him to be invisible and he was. I get to Gunnison and find Gunnison Motorsports. The shop guys put a good rivet job on my chain and the Service Manager charged me $15 bucks. Good guys, I give'em two thumbs up.

I buy a pint of Wild Turkey, some ice and head east on 50. Let's see where the day takes me.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 04:54 PM
Old 07-13-2010, 05:20 PM   #50
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

50 east to 114 south. 114 is a very nice piece of pavement. It follows the river and wonderful slinky curves carve through canyons heading south. I keep looking west but now, rain falls in trailing veils from black clouds. I pass one dirt road after another heading west. The country opens up, wind gusting off the storm.

Gradually, the road heads up and I crest on Cochetopa, the pavement pass. Just after the pass, there is dirt heading northwest and I take it. In here it's hills, rocks and I'm alone. I find myself at old Cochetopa pass, I passed here last year and camped.

It really is nice in this area. I race against antelope, soak in the views and have a great time. I eventually come to a left and take it. I'm going to try and head toward Lake City this way.

There are numbers of roads shooting off in all directions. There is a lot of riding to be done and it would take days to cover just a small portion of it. The terrain is a mixture of big open valleys, sections of hills with aspens and winding roads. The beauty really is intoxicating.

I eventually wind up in a dead end small camping area. Men were fly fishing for trout. There was a canyon there, seemed like the name was something like Rock Cellar canyon. I've forgotten. It was nice. I just about bet that there is an old road, that does go to Lake City from here or at least west linking up with the road from Catherdral to Slumgullion. One fisherman reported that he had been on an old road that did work west from here when he was young. It was bad then and he wasn't sure if it went all the way through, he thought that is was abandoned and maybe blocked off by private owners or the forest service. I retraced my path and soon found my way to Old Agency, Los Pinos and rode down in to Catherdral. Great ride, antelope, small lakes, the rain stayed in the north and I stood on the pegs and rode.

Of course we rode this road to Slumgullion a few days ago. I kept it on the pipe as we used say in two stroke days. Great day, good circle to complete as I find my camp at Snowden's park.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-13-2010 at 06:06 PM
Old 07-14-2010, 12:34 PM   #51
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 190
Sweet.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:46 PM   #52
wayno
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 6,123
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
Dick and I work on the chain some, but lacking the right tools, I'm dissatisfied. Gunnison is not far away but it's Monday. Shops are usually closed. I call Sun Sports the KTM dealer, Dick knows the owner, because in addition to BMW, his shop sells KTM. Closed. I call the other shop down the street and they are open and accomadating. Off to Gunnison, see you later Dick.

A few miles out of town a gangly youth, in penny loafers, chinos, oxford cloth shirt and back pack is thumbing. He has a pompador hair cut, when did you see one of those last? I give him a pair of goggles and without a helmet, a ride to the highway. He is heading to Montross. Good passenger, I told him to be invisible and he was. I get to Gunnison and find Gunnison Motorsports. The shop guys put a good rivet job on my chain and the Service Manager charged me $15 bucks. Good guys, I give'em two thumbs up.

I buy a pint of Wild Turkey, some ice and head east on 50. Let's see where the day takes me.
I still use links but I also safety wire them.
Great RR
RIDE SAFE
May as well Laugh
wayno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2010, 03:53 PM   #53
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
Tell you what, if it works out, I'll show you around in a summer or two. Wouldn't want you to get lost or anything.
Ha! You're a FUNNY Man!!!!! Definitely keep me posted on your next planned trip out this way. Until then, I'll my best to "make you proud"!
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 06:30 PM   #54
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Lake City in the morning after coffee and packing. It had cell phone coverage and I caught my party and made plans to meet in Silverton. I headed for Cinnamon pass.

The morning was cool, sky clear and blue. San Cristobol lake was still and smooth. Is this not beautiful?

I came this way because Dick Lane was camped out the road here and thought I'd see if I could find him on the way out. He was parked with his wife and grandchildren in the last RV campground and was easy to find. He flagged me down! Nice visit and I was off.

I saw this structure in the bottom. It looks like it would be an excellent place to park a few bikes.

Working up through the switchbacks in the trees, I met this pair.

I can't remember the gentleman's name on the right but the guy on the left is SaddleSore here. Nice guys. They were helping a group of guys doing the TAT. Today they were riding Cinnamon and having a good time.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 08:11 PM
Old 07-17-2010, 06:52 PM   #55
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Over the pass and in to Animas Forks. The day was dry and clear and soon Silverton came into view. I found my party and caught up on the time we spent apart. My brother had also talked about possible routes with a resident and was excited about riding Stony Pass. Apparently his informant had driven an old VW bug throught the pass many years ago but hadn't been through it lately. It was time to start heading east so Stony Pass was our road.

To reach Stony Pass from Silverton, head toward Animas Forks. At the bottom there is a right with signs pointing the way to a tourist gold mine. Soon we were riding among tourists waiting for tours, there was a road that by passed this mine on the right, you'll want to take it.

Then we had an series of switchback working up the mountian. Really nice here.

This is the view back toward Silverton. The mine we rode through is in the center.

The road got very steep and rocky. One of our group had a small get off here, no harm done. It didn't seem like a bug would have come this way. I went on ahead to check it out and ran into a family in an Expedition. Dad reported that our route was a dead end and he said the mine was worth checking out. So I rode on up to take a look. These old mines are interesting.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-18-2010 at 04:30 AM
Old 07-17-2010, 07:09 PM   #56
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

We headed on down looking for the route to the pass. I ran into another dead end here at this mine.

The view behind me.

The rails going in.

The mine.

Old 07-17-2010, 07:30 PM   #57
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

The trick on this route is DON'T take the steep switch back to the left and going west and north. The route starts out more moderate and heads due east. It progressively gets steeper toward the pass.

This is when the Pig started stalling out on me. I lost power and just had to hang out. Happily I had a cold beer so all was not lost. Sitting there having a beer and wondering about the bike, I started hearing gunfire and I could make out a guy shooting across the valley. I could see the shot and then soon the crack would get to me. After a minute the bike started right up and I continued up the pass. My friends were waiting.

This loss of power had happened before a time or two recently and I was under the impression that I may have a pinched vent tube. I had removed a rubber gasket from the gas cap and it had seemed to clear up. Venting was obviously not the issue. After much discussion, we decided that I might have dirty fuel filters. The bike was running like it's old scalded dog self so on we rode.

The Pass

Great ride here. We understand that it's 75 miles to the hard surface. We found out that it is more like 50 miles to pavement and 75 to Creede. Over the pass, the views east are of a deep valley that is well watered. We'll figure out that this is the headwaters of the Rio Grande.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 07:06 PM
Old 07-17-2010, 07:50 PM   #58
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Going down the mountian into the trees, we hit some very steep and rocky down hill sections and the bike was working magically. Time almost seemed to slow down while at the same time tearing through the woods on an over loaded Pig. It was easy to ride too fast, maybe over my head, but I was in a fever and everything worked so well. Magic... magic.

We had some fun water crossings and I played a trick on my buddies on the second crossing.

I got to this crossing and I saw the easy track on my left, you'll see it on the right side of the pictures. I found a stick nearby and probed the water and it seemed smooth and about a foot or so deep. So when my buddies showed up, I directed them right through the middle. You should have seen the looks when I showed them where I crossed.

Luke here hit it pretty hard.

Drying out.

All in good fun.

This is the Rio Grande friends. As we continued down, it grows and gets damned up. It started to rain pretty good, cool off and the finish was just a ride to get to the pavement. Once on the pavement to Creed, it warmed back up and we hit blue skies. I'll always remember this ride, it truely was one of the most enjoyable rides of my life.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-17-2010 at 08:03 PM
Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #59
saddlsor
my butt hurts

Oddometer: 335
hey green fly farmer, it was good meeting you. enjoying your report and all the great pics. I'm heading out that way again in august and using some of your info for route planning. when you crossed stony pass was poe creek very deep? I crossed it in a pickup years ago and it was to deep for a bike at the time. I'm going to be with a guy on a 1200gs, would he have any problems on any of the passes you went over? sounds like you had a real enjoyable time. thanks....john
saddlsor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 11:00 PM   #60
Scottysix9
Shhh...

Oddometer: 918
Excellent. One of these days, I'll have to hit the trails in Colorado. Oh, wait a minute...

Nice report. Foreigner's views make me realize how lucky I am to live within a few hour's drive of many people's trip of a lifetime.

If they can't hear you, they won't know you're there.
Scottysix9 is offline   Reply With Quote