Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-18-2010, 04:44 AM   #61
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Oddometer: 1,745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottysix9
Excellent. One of these days, I'll have to hit the trails in Colorado. Oh, wait a minute...

Nice report. Foreigner's views make me realize how lucky I am to live within a few hour's drive of many people's trip of a lifetime.
"Foreigner's views", yea law you'd make a good hillbilly. Let me know if you ever come to VA, I know where we hide the good likker for company.

Greenflyfarmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 04:54 AM   #62
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saddlsor
hey green fly farmer, it was good meeting you. enjoying your report and all the great pics. I'm heading out that way again in august and using some of your info for route planning. when you crossed stony pass was poe creek very deep? I crossed it in a pickup years ago and it was to deep for a bike at the time. I'm going to be with a guy on a 1200gs, would he have any problems on any of the passes you went over? sounds like you had a real enjoyable time. thanks....john
Hey man. There are two larger water crossings, and I would assume as is always the case it depends on rain, season, local conditions. That being said both were smooth, and I'd say easily done on a GS. It's getting dryer by the day being summer. I wouldn't worry, do Stony Pass. There were some deep berms in there that had me horizontal a few times, really, you'll defy gravity once or twice.

Mosquito was exciting because of the steep drop and wild views. I would not advise taking a big overloaded bike from Ouray to Engineer, down was fun and you should do it. Otherwise, a GS will do it all I would say easily, when it gets rough, tractor!

Old 07-18-2010, 05:19 AM   #63
Blagadán
Kevin

Oddometer: 168
If that rock were over here, the "Health and safety" people would have barricaded off and propped that puppy up a long time ago.

Great report GFF, really enjoyed it.

Blagadán is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 03:34 PM   #64
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

I had not been to Creede before but we were ready to find a room and a meal. Not much for rooms in town but behind the brand new Mexican resturant are brand new duplex cabins that sleep 4 men easy. Not bad. We tidy up and relax after dinner. I fell asleep early.

I awake at dawn Virginia time and unable to fall back asleep, I listen to my little radio. For the first time I hear about a hurricane heading to Texas. Now I know, it's time to head east, the ride is over and it's time to go home.

While the ride from home is exciting, full of energy and promise, I'm sad the tour is coming to a close. I finally get up as dawn breaks and start changing the Mefo for the old Scorp I have been lugging around. With lube, the swap is easy and satisfying. I balance out the scorp on two picnic tables and put away my tools. I'm done by the time the others are waking.

Old 07-20-2010, 03:47 PM   #65
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

I'm not ready to head back and let the ride go. Apparently there is lots of old mining stuff to see above town. We head up there but the others stop and won't head up into the canyons above town. I look around for a minute and then head back. Lead them south toward New Mexico. Feeling grumpy.

We ride south along the Rio Grande and watch men in row boats, fly fishing. Lots of men in high dollar fishing gear were standing around main street in Creede. It is pretty and my mood improves. Gradually the county opens up and farms line the roads. We get breakfast at a diner and I'm over my denial now. The TV in the diner reports that the hurricane is heading west toward Mexico and it looks like it will cause us few problems.

In the small towns we pass, we ride the speed limit. We have learned that if the town looks like a few falling down shacks or a nice little place, a hidden police officer will be waiting for speeders. Remember this if you go. We had no tickets.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 07:11 PM
Old 07-20-2010, 03:52 PM   #66
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

On the ride south through Colorado, the Pig starts to have more problems. Sometimes I can fill up and go 20 miles, and it looses power. Let it rest 10 minutes then I can ride 100 miles. As I ride into New Mexico the interval shortens and by Texas maybe I can ride 50 to 60 miles.

My party has a pickup and trailer in Amarillo. I just need to get there.

Northern New Mexico is interesting, I need to come back and see more than a volcano from the interstate.

We make the truck and all is well. The rest is driving back. Somewhat demeaning for the longhauling pig. Glad the truck is there all the same.

I've done a fuel pump overhaul and it's all buttoned up and running good. There was dirt and water in the tank and pump. Filters were dirty but it's the water that was hurting me most. I have never had to go through the fuel pump before, easy rebuild job, dumped and cleaned out the tanks. Man this bike is pulling now.

Greenflyfarmer screwed with this post 07-20-2010 at 04:03 PM
Old 07-20-2010, 04:21 PM   #67
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

I want to thank the inmates and other people that we met on tour. You were kind, helpful and fun. Ride safe.

Thanks for reading my ride report, I hope you enjoyed it. It's great to get this thing down so I can re-live it.

I very much enjoy reading other reports on this site. I appreciate the work you do to share your travels. I hope this is a small pay back.

Finally, Colorado rocks. I'll be back.

Old 07-20-2010, 04:26 PM   #68
Monty
Calm Like a Bomb

Oddometer: 191

Thanks for taking the time. Great job.
Monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-20-2010, 06:07 PM   #69
joenuclear
Planning.....

Oddometer: 6,124
Thank you!
Old 07-22-2010, 07:21 PM   #70
Paddle007
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 296
Inspiring thread. What kind of protective gear is that you wear. Looks like it gives one great ventilation.
Paddle007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2010, 08:37 PM   #71
dirtbound4Max
Hangin' 10 on the F8

Oddometer: 329
Thumb Great Guys, Great Trip, Great Ride Report!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greenflyfarmer
I want to thank the inmates and other people that we met on tour. You were kind, helpful and fun.....................
Finally, Colorado rocks. I'll be back.
You are always welcome here man! It was a pleasure meeting you guys and I really enjoyed following along via your KICK-ASS RR. Also ~ Thanks for posting all the awesome pics of the places I've yet to see and thanks for taking the time to put it all down in your report! Until we meet again.......................Sean
dirtbound4Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2010, 02:51 PM   #72
Greenflyfarmer OP
I'm better now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddle007
Inspiring thread. What kind of protective gear is that you wear. Looks like it gives one great ventilation.
I get hot and I hate a stuffy feeling. I rarely wear a face shield on my full face, only for lasting rain or during the winter.

The armor is Rockgardn and I wear their Flak Jacket, CYA shorts and shorty knee guards. It's all light comfortable and stays in place. I've worn their gear for three or 4 years now and I like it a lot. I look like a power ranger but I'm cool and comfortable.
http://www.rockgardn.com/

Old 08-30-2010, 12:52 PM   #73
chrisinmarion
ADVENTURASS

Oddometer: 4
Why Greenfly was alone for 2 days

I am greenfly's brother. He was alone for 2 days cause my old riding buddy and my 18 year old were so mad after we took them up Mosquito Pass that I had to get them away from him for a couple of days to cool off. After a
coulple of days easing them over a few easier passes they agreed to ride with him again. Then he screwed them over in that water crossing on Stoney Pass. Some people never learn. If you are not very experienced,
don't ride with him! Sometimes he ain't got good sense!
chrisinmarion is offline   Reply With Quote