Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > GSpot > Parallel Universe
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-19-2010, 01:41 PM   #16
rideoregon
Adventurer

Oddometer: 10
"The Varios offer a neat mounting system, relatively low price, matching keys, and a narrow profile - but how do they crash?"

My F800 went out the showroom with the Varios installed. I had them for about a year and a half. They're terrific for commuting. Maybe the best out there for this purpose. I loved the look and the easy off, easy on functionality. I also liked the clean look of the bike with the bags off.

That said, the achilles heal of the Vario bags is that if you want to take them off road, forget about it. You're better off removing them and using soft luggage for those occasions. The bags are not durable when dropped and there's a better than even chance they will break if you drop the bike. I've since gone another direction. If you're looking for off road luggage these should not be considered in my opinion.
rideoregon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2010, 05:38 PM   #17
raider OP
Big red dog

Oddometer: 1,582
Quote:
Originally Posted by rideoregon
"The Varios offer a neat mounting system, relatively low price, matching keys, and a narrow profile - but how do they crash?"

My F800 went out the showroom with the Varios installed. I had them for about a year and a half. They're terrific for commuting. Maybe the best out there for this purpose. I loved the look and the easy off, easy on functionality. I also liked the clean look of the bike with the bags off.

That said, the achilles heal of the Vario bags is that if you want to take them off road, forget about it. You're better off removing them and using soft luggage for those occasions. The bags are not durable when dropped and there's a better than even chance they will break if you drop the bike. I've since gone another direction. If you're looking for off road luggage these should not be considered in my opinion.
That's probably the issue. I have Steel Pony soft luggage for off-road, but as it's not secure it doesn't do for commuting or extended road trips. The Varios would seem to offer the perfect solution for those latter times, but their frames are not suited to the soft bags, which require the traditional "rectangular hoop" to fit and sit properly.

Thanks everyone for the responses so far. I think, on balance, I'll go in a different direction.
Old 05-08-2011, 09:09 AM   #18
wheelwatcher
Adventurer

Oddometer: 30
Anyone got BMW Vario cases...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newstar View Post
Check for your local Linex shop. May be listed under truck bed liner. I recommend them over Rhino due to the process and the mixture that they use. It also does not fade. It should be less than $100 if you are doing them in black. Not much more for color.
My local branch in Kirkland wants $60 to apply Linex for the pair. Just a hint to save you time: don't try to remove the aluminum covers (your fingers will thank you- can you say, "aluminum paper cuts"?). Tell the Linex rep that they will have to apply primer first, which brings the price up a bit (as opposed to totally encasing an item in Linex, which you can do with removable items), but it's still only $60 for black. Other colors will be about $100 (the pigments alone cost $40, the rep said). Also, remember where all the screws go to remove the top and bottom black guards. You might want to use tape and a marker to mark your trail.

I'm waiting till Monday to have it done. Since primer has to be applied and dried 24 hours before the Linex is applied, I decided on Friday to come back on Monday so I could use the bags over the weekend. You'll need to leave them for a few days at the shop. Make sure you plan around that.

I think it's a great idea to make semi-faux-rugged bags into more crash tolerant cases that don't just look tough (the aluminum covers look great, but are very fragile). There are probably other applications that would do a similar or possibly better job (such as Rhino brand). Let us know if any of you use them and what your experience was.
wheelwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 11:59 AM   #19
nkms
?

Oddometer: 52
I have these bags on a 650 twin and used them a lot the last 1.5 year. I'd say they are not suitable if you plan to crash a lot off road (or wherever) but I would not say that they are so fragile as presented. I've dumped them from stand still on road and on gravel (rocks) going about 30km/h, both times expanded and fully loaded.

On road it just got a small scratch but on the gravel the left case went off the lower rack (the movable plastic base that is on the back that sits on the rack got loose) but the upper part where it locks was still attached. It just needed to re-tighten the screws that hold the movable base and it was ok. The only other thing that I noticed is the lock that got a bit stiff. Didn't find the time since then to check it but it's still in a working condition :)

ν.
nkms is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2011, 07:39 PM   #20
trizzo
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by wheelwatcher View Post
My local branch in Kirkland wants $60 to apply Linex for the pair. Just a hint to save you time: don't try to remove the aluminum covers (your fingers will thank you- can you say, "aluminum paper cuts"?). Tell the Linex rep that they will have to apply primer first, which brings the price up a bit (as opposed to totally encasing an item in Linex, which you can do with removable items), but it's still only $60 for black. Other colors will be about $100 (the pigments alone cost $40, the rep said). Also, remember where all the screws go to remove the top and bottom black guards. You might want to use tape and a marker to mark your trail.

I'm waiting till Monday to have it done. Since primer has to be applied and dried 24 hours before the Linex is applied, I decided on Friday to come back on Monday so I could use the bags over the weekend. You'll need to leave them for a few days at the shop. Make sure you plan around that.

I think it's a great idea to make semi-faux-rugged bags into more crash tolerant cases that don't just look tough (the aluminum covers look great, but are very fragile). There are probably other applications that would do a similar or possibly better job (such as Rhino brand). Let us know if any of you use them and what your experience was.
plz post pics of the finished product when you get them back from your shop!
trizzo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 01:17 PM   #21
G-Mac
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 353
Time to renew this thread, even if it's for my own purpose.
Does anyone have a set that would fit on my 2013 f800gs that they want to sell.
2002 XR250R Dirty Girl so fun to ride
1997 KLR 650 miss the old girl. Never washed!
G-Mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2014, 05:04 PM   #22
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowRide13 a long time ago View Post
I really like mine.... I also like the quick "one finger" on-off and lack of bulky rack.... I like the higher ground clearance and I like the way they match the bike (better than a big square metal box).

I never expand them.... The expansion is there when I need it...but I keep it rare and light duty.

Maybe its cool to hate on them, but I think its a great box....
It's an old post, but he hit the nail on head. That's my take on them. Besides, I only use panniers except on long trips so I really like the minimalist racks. I had a pair of Odyssey II cases but sold them to another inmate, unused by me.

G-Mac, put your want in the Parts sub forum of the Fleamarket.

Fred
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2014, 09:33 PM   #23
crossplane
Adventurer

Oddometer: 42
I've got them and just did a fairly hard offroad ride with lots of really rocky sections and tons of bouncing around, the panniers held up perfectly. I was worried about two things - 1, the panniers breaking open in a fall, and 2 - their durability when exposed to sustained offroading where the bike is bouncing around tons.

I didn't drop it on the trip so I can't comment there, however they did not budge one bit when riding, even through the hairier sections. Still weirds me out how different the bike handles once you've got her loaded up with bags and stuff in them when offroad though...
crossplane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 12:41 PM   #24
GREWUPIN_D11
GREWUPIN_D11

Oddometer: 55
I had the dealer install Vario sidecases (but not the top case) before taking delivery of my 2010 F800, and have been happy with them. Dropped the bike a few times with them on, mostly a zero speed, not a mark on them. One lowside event on a grassy hillside bent the upper grab bar up so far that the bag was totally disengaged from the lower mounting bar, just hanging on by the upper latch. It held fine on the 100 mile ride home, and again, zero damage to the side case.
GREWUPIN_D11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2014, 02:53 PM   #25
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
I agree with FredRydr, they are great. The ability to take them off and into a tent or hotel room is awesome. I also like that I can get into them without taking things off the top of the side cases.I rarely expand them except on long two up trips. I've dropped them 3 times so far and backed the right one into a wall pretty good that I just didn't quite clear while looking over my left shoulder. I do take them off and leave them at the campsite when riding single track. I also don't ride with them when I commute, and don't like the square racks of other brands. I also store them inside to keep the UV off them.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 07:58 AM   #26
JRWooden
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,118
+1 I enjoy mine for all the same reasons!

I have had to disassemble them to clean the grit out of the "expansion" slot, but they have survived a fair amount of abuse.

I do wish there were a way to lock the cases with the handles open,
that way I could cable lock them to a tree or something at the campsite for a bit of extra security while out riding ...
JRWooden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 11:04 AM   #27
jktpa
X-Troller

Oddometer: 775
one low speed drop one replacement case I would not get them again low durability for the price.
M696
ET4
jktpa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2014, 03:09 PM   #28
dirtysouthjacket
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 541
Quote:
Originally Posted by jktpa View Post
one low speed drop one replacement case I would not get them again low durability for the price.
What specifically broke and where on the case did you hit? I've only hit the corners so far. Never hit a latch or on a seam.

2011 F800GS Alpine White, 1998 KDX 200, 2000 KL250G Super Sherpa
DSJ's Shenanigans
dirtysouthjacket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 12:02 PM   #29
sturgeon
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 915
Quote:
Originally Posted by JRWooden View Post
I do wish there were a way to lock the cases with the handles open,
that way I could cable lock them to a tree or something at the campsite for a bit of extra security while out riding ...
Have you tried? Mine lock with the handle open.
Old 04-09-2014, 05:58 PM   #30
FredRydr
Danger: Keep Back 500 Ft.

Oddometer: 2,239
Quote:
Originally Posted by sturgeon View Post
Have you tried? Mine lock with the handle open.
Vario case locks depend upon the handle being folded flush into the case in order to prevent entry and removal from the bike. The cases can be locked on or off the bike, but not with the handles open. With the handle open, turn the key and watch the yellow plastic tang swing into place (upper photo) and fail to engage the recess in the handle (lower photo). Thus, if the handle is left open with the key turned to the "lock" position, there is no locking of the handle, and the thief can pull up the yellow lever and gain access to the contents of case, or just take the case altogether by pulling up the unprotected red lever.

Compare oilhead and hexhead R, ST and RT case locks, which work by preventing the release button from being pressed, regardless of whether the handle is open or closed.

Fred

FredRydr screwed with this post 04-09-2014 at 07:01 PM Reason: expanded explanation
FredRydr is offline   Reply With Quote