Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-21-2010, 03:33 AM   #46
achesley
Old Motorcyclist

Oddometer: 3,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
Achesley, I remember last year you wanted to take your Bandit to the Grand Canyon. Did you get out here on the bike? I grew up in Louisiana BTW, which is why I must love the Southwest.
Yes, did have a great trip on the Bandit 1250S. Also was able to get to Mesa Verda and a few other cliff dwellers sites that I've been having on my list also.

The lady at the store on the way to the park told me of the snow storm last week and selling near every article of clothing she had to bikers not prepared for cold weather. LOL. If I'm headed close to mountains of the West, my heated gear is in a saddlebag for sure no matter what time of year. Done been there and done that to many times.
Enjoying the photos, keep it up.

A '00 KLR 650 40,000 miles, A '07 1250S 77,000 actual, A '03 5.3L Chevy Truck 77,000 + '43 style dude , Simper Fi ;-)
achesley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:05 AM   #47
Shaggie
Unseen University

Oddometer: 2,623
Dave, Dave, Dave...........................

un-freakin-believable!

The colours and all that techno-gabble-talk stuff in your pics makes them lucious enough to want to dive on in!

awesome........................................... ..

what model Pentax is that? (I'm presuming that's the dslr you mention...)

you rawk!

Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:44 AM   #48
RamblinKevin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 268
Stunning Photograhy

Wow! That camera rocks dude. Excellant composition too. Best photos of the Grand Canyon I've seen! Great work Dave.

What is the average file size? I made the mistake this year of turning my Nikkon D-60 SLR down to medium resolution. 1.5 meg average file size. With an 8 gig card, and 1200 photos, I could have gone max resolution easy. Lesson learned.

Can't wait for the rest of the report!
RamblinKevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 09:39 AM   #49
larryboy
Chopper Rider

Oddometer: 14,570
I can't remember the last time I have grabbed a picture for my background...that sunset picture on the last page did the trick!! I hope there is a lot more, Dave!!
Old 06-21-2010, 09:53 AM   #50
viola-tor
Needs to ride!

Oddometer: 2,072
Dave, your photo skills are grow exponentially! Stunning work. Someday I'll start posting in my RR again...

Solo riding is GREAT!
viola-tor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 05:47 PM   #51
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Oddometer: 3,070
Losing Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaggie
what model Pentax is that? Shane
Shane,

I'm shooting with two cameras. The DSLR is my first. I had been wanting a nice camera for years. The wife said we couldn't afford it. She had been wanting me to lose weight for years. She thought it was a safe bet when she said I could get the camera if I lost 30 pounds. I really wanted a new camera, so I lost 60 lbs! (Even my bike loves me for that!)

The DSLR is a Pentax K7 with a Pentax DA*16-50 f2.8 lens. I also have a Pentax DA 55-300 f4.0-5.6 telephoto. A macro lens is on my wish list. I am not too impressed with the camera's JPEG performance so have switched to shooting RAW. I'm much happier with the results now.

The Point-n-Shoot is a Panasonic Lumix ZS5. This is it's first outing since I wore out the old Panasonic TZ5. It's basically a newer generation of the TZ5 and performance does seem improved. It has some improvements over the old camera that I'm really psyched about. The shake reduction is supposed to be much better and they added shutter priority, aperture priority, and full manual mode!

You can tell what camera I'm using by paying attention to the "Dave6253" watermark in the bottom right of some of the photos. If the watermark is there the photo is from the PnS camera. If there is no watermark, then it came from the DSLR.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:20 PM   #52
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Will She, or Won't She?

I wake up at first light. It's too late to make it down to the overlook before sunrise. Oh well, I have too many photos from there anyway.

As I break camp I stop to shoot the sunrise.

There has been a nagging thought... a growing apprehension. Will my bike start this morning? There's only one truck in the campsite, and after yesterdays' experience I'm guessing they don't have jumper cables. I had already surveyed a couple nearby hills for possible jump starts.

On a morning like this, how can anything go wrong?

I thumb the starter and the engine fires right up and settles into an idle as spledid accompaniment to the sunrise. Sorry. There will be no dramatic tales of me trudging over to the neighbor's camp in motorcycle boots, or pushing the bike up the rocks to the main road to await the next tourist, whenever that might be...

This is about as technical as this road gets. The biggest rocks and ledges are in the campground driveway.

Check out the rut on the right! Some motorcyclist had a fun time making it up this hill a couple days ago. Okay, who was it?

A vast improvement in one day.

So I probably didn't need the extra fuel container since I planned to go straight back to Fredonia on the shortest route back to fuel(140 miles round trip). I came prepared for a lengthy detour, or a long duration of riding in bad conditions such as slick mud.

Now I don't have to worry about fuel at all. Also I rode this yesterday and know there are no major obstacles around each corner or blind rise. I can really wick up the throttle. With the fuel load decreased and moved into the tanks, my water nearly depleted, and my gear dried out the bike is much lighter. In other words, I had an even greater blast ripping down the road this time.
Old 06-21-2010, 06:32 PM   #53
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Eek Buzzed!

I made it to asphalt highway and slowed down to the appropriate speed of 75. I'm only about three miles from the Greater Fredonia Metropolis when I suddenly spot a large plane ahead. I see an exhaust trail and the plane appears dangerously close to the ground. WTF!? I grab the camera and set out to document what I thought would surely be a plane crash.

I just got buzzed by what I think was a B1B Bomber!? Don't mess with Fredonia?
Old 06-21-2010, 06:34 PM   #54
BackRoadNomad
Wandering around

Oddometer: 331
And all I can add is....

WOW!

Every inmate that responded to your RR has done so with splendor. I have nothing else to add other than "many of us are envious".
"One of the things that make motorcycling so great is because it never fails to give you a feeling of freedom and adventure." Steve McQueen
BackRoadNomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 06:59 PM   #55
kaia
team F5 ⌘R

Oddometer: 2,568
one handed shooting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253
I keep the point-n-shoot camera in a pocket on the tank bag (or a jacket pocket when no tank bag is mounted). It's attached to the tank bag (or jacket) with a Gearkeeper brand retractable lanyard so that I can drop the camera if needed (I have several times). You can purchase these in truck stops. Truckers use them for their CB Radio Mikes. The small one works great. I shoot left handed and have practiced turning the camera on and off and finding interesting angles. I can easily do this with gloves on. The most important thing is to keep your attention on the road. I point the camera in any general direction at any speed and hope for the best. The Panasonic Lumix works great in "Intelligent Auto" mode. Don't worry too much about zoom or exact composition. You can crop the photos later. I've been considering attempting right-handed shots since I'm getting bored with the same angles on the left.
yeah... the left is pretty easy, but the right takes some skill, and some planning. i had some luck shooting with the right hand, although it's in very rare conditions:

1. unzip tank bag, get camera powered & ready.
2. pull and hold clutch in with left.
3. pull out camera from tank bag, take shot, return to tank bag (usually could only get one or two shots off before slowing down too much)
4. ease back into gear (make sure you remember to be on the throttle... i've almost stalled the bike in 3rd/4th because i forgot)

i've actually managed to shoot with the full DSLR with my right hand, with it stored in the tank bag. the nice thing about using a DSLR on-the-go is that if you are shooting with either with shutter-priority or full manual, you can get some nice motion effects that the point-and-shoot's auto setting compensates for... though, making setting changes while moving is not recommended.

also, be careful of traffic behind you when you start the process... if you're not on a hill, you loose more speed coasting with the clutch in than you'd expect.

great photos, by the way. you mention that you've got "a lot to learn"... you're definitely on your way.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:16 PM   #56
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Day Four Plans

I made it back to Fredonia in record time.

While gassing up, I meet a couple advrider inmates from Oregon. They say they are headed to ride the South Rim Road. I ask, "Why? You are almost to the North Rim and you'd prefer to bypass that for the South Rim?" They had seen the South Rim Drive on the map and saw how it followed the rim to various view points. I explain why I prefer the North Rim and Cape Royal and point them in the right direction. I told them I was eventually headed that way today, but would be on the forest service roads. They wanted to stay on asphalt so I left them at the gas station. I hoped, for their sakes, they would decide to see the North Rim.

I need to make it home tonight, but I'm in no hurry. I can wait to enter the furnace after the red fireball in the sky drops. I didn't get to explore the North Rim backcountry as much as I had planned. I decide a ride out to Crazy Jugs is in order. I then want to ride back out to Cape Royal for a photo of Angel's Window.

From Fredonia I head southeast on Ryan Road, Forest Service Road 22.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:28 PM   #57
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Kaia,

Thanks for adding to the one-handed shooting info. I will not be trying that anytime soon with the DSLR. My lens is too heavy to handle one-handed anyway. Your comments did give me the idea to use the shutter priority mode on the new point-n-shoot.
Old 06-21-2010, 07:32 PM   #58
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by viola-tor
Someday I'll start posting in my RR again...
We're waiting....

Thanks Matt!

Thanks Thunderdog!

Thanks Allen!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:42 PM   #59
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamblinKevin
What is the average file size?
The DSLR RAW files are 10-15MB Once converted to JPEGS at 70% quality they are 1-5MB.

Thanks for the compliments!
Old 06-21-2010, 07:51 PM   #60
dave6253 OP
The Tourist

To Crazy Jugs Point

FS 22 is the main road on the western side of the Kaibab Plateau. It's a dream ride. Cool pines, beautiful aspens, and green meadows.

What a difference a year of experience makes. Last year I was top-toeing around on these roads. Now I flying along at highly imprudent speeds hoping a bear, deer, or mountain lion don't jump in the road.

At the Y I take the right to Crazy Jugs Point. I then return to this junction and take the left up the hill on FS 272.

Crazy Jugs Point