ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Riding > Ride reports
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 06-30-2010, 08:50 PM   #91
dave6253 OP
The Tourist
 
dave6253's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmym1296
That's what I like about this site. Keeps me inspired.
I Concur! Thanks!
__________________
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2010, 05:26 AM   #92
Shaggie
Unseen University
 
Shaggie's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2005
Location: Christchurch, New Zealand
Oddometer: 2,574
[quote=dave6253][quote=Shaggie]

Anyone is welcome to save full-size original photos from my smugmug as long as it's not for commercial use. http://dave6253.smugmug.com/



Cheers Dave - you da man!

Shane
__________________
Shane

"We are not at home to Mr Reasonable" - Sam Vimes

NZ Touring pics:Brass Monkey 2009:Kiwi Sun:Tiki-touring: Daytrips in NZ
Shaggie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2010, 09:21 PM   #93
Signal
Cynical Idealist
 
Signal's Avatar
 
Joined: Aug 2007
Location: Utah
Oddometer: 8,381
North rim


Lovely.
Signal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 04:42 PM   #94
Tadpole
Adventurer
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Kathleen GA
Oddometer: 13
Maps

Hey Dave - wonderful pics. I used them to sell my family on visiting the North Rim next year.

What book of maps did you use?
Tadpole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 06:24 PM   #95
Artlocks
Gnarly Adventurer
 
Artlocks's Avatar
 
Joined: Nov 2007
Location: Raleigh, NC
Oddometer: 154
great read

Dave, thanks for the report. It was very timely for me. My bike is being shipped to Las Vegas and I am going to start my 2-3 week western camping trip at the North Rim around Aug 25 before moving on to Utah.
Your report was so good you are saving me from having to take pics and write a report myself.
Looks like I will be using the same camera Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS5 and Garmin 60csx GPS. Both of which I can barely use.

What kind of range should I have as far as gas? I have a DR650 with a 5 gal IMS tank which I think will give me at least 150. Would the Fredonia-tuweep-Fredonia likely be my longest stretch without gas? Is there plenty of gas stations scattered around?

Also, what in your opinion were the not-to-miss stops on your trip?

How many days would you recommend I budget for the NR? 2,3 or4?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again.
steve
Artlocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:00 PM   #96
dave6253 OP
The Tourist
 
dave6253's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tadpole
Hey Dave - wonderful pics. I used them to sell my family on visiting the North Rim next year.

What book of maps did you use?
Thanks Tadpole!

Benchmark Road and Recreation Guide
__________________
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2010, 08:20 PM   #97
dave6253 OP
The Tourist
 
dave6253's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 3,003
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artlocks
Dave, thanks for the report. It was very timely for me. My bike is being shipped to Las Vegas and I am going to start my 2-3 week western camping trip at the North Rim around Aug 25 before moving on to Utah.
Your report was so good you are saving me from having to take pics and write a report myself.
Looks like I will be using the same camera Panasonic Lumix DMC-FS5 and Garmin 60csx GPS. Both of which I can barely use.

What kind of range should I have as far as gas? I have a DR650 with a 5 gal IMS tank which I think will give me at least 150. Would the Fredonia-tuweep-Fredonia likely be my longest stretch without gas? Is there plenty of gas stations scattered around?

Also, what in your opinion were the not-to-miss stops on your trip?

How many days would you recommend I budget for the NR? 2,3 or4?

Sorry for all the questions.

Thanks again.
steve
A 150 mile range would get you directly from Fredonia to Tuweep and back, but you would be pushing it. Carry extra gas for that stretch or at least a siphon hose (I carry one with the suction squeeze bulb). Riding to Tuweep is more interesting in a loop from Mesquite like I did on an earlier trip, but makes the distance between gas much further (~190 miles) unless you make the trip out to Bar Ten where you can pay extra for fuel. There is fuel in the surrounding towns of Mesquite, St George, Fredonia, Jacob Lake, and Marble Canyon. There is 89 octane only at the North Rim inside the park and just outside the park in DeMotte.

Don't miss Cape Royal, Crazy Jugs, and Toroweap. I plan to make it to Point Sublime someday soon. I hear it lives up to the name. Burma Road is the roughest I've ridden in the area, but isn't very scenic IMO.

Deciding how many days to budget for the North Rim depends alot on you. How many miles you ride per day, what you want to see and do, and too many variables to guess. You can't see much in one day, and you wouldn't get bored in four days.
__________________
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2010, 04:19 PM   #98
Principiante
Adventurer
 
Joined: Aug 2004
Location: K1200LT
Oddometer: 27
Great Photography

It would appear to me that you are more than an amateur with your DSLR. The sunset shots are particularly well done. Thanks.
Principiante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 12:22 PM   #99
Ratman
Lucky Rider
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2005
Location: Baja is good
Oddometer: 1,120
North Rim

I've been trying to get out to the North Rim, Dave. Your RR and Pics have gotten me refired up to get there soon.

I'll prolly tow my Dualsport out there. That mud out there is a little much for my street bike. Thanks for those beautimus pictures.

From moto mechanicals
__________________
Ratman.......Pete .... My Solo Continental Divide Ride
....and of course, Luck beats good...
OLDEN DAYS...mostly BAJA
p.ratfab@gmail.com
Ratman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:05 PM   #100
JohnBryer
Adventure Poser
 
JohnBryer's Avatar
 
Joined: Dec 2004
Location: Midway, UT
Oddometer: 923
Amazing photos. I'm doing this ride in 2011!
__________________
2005 R1200 GS
2004 R1150 RT
2001 Suzuki GSX-R600 (track only)
JohnBryer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-21-2010, 04:06 PM   #101
dave6253 OP
The Tourist
 
dave6253's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 3,003
Thanks John. I plan to make another trip up there in 2011 as well. I still need to make it out to Point Sublime.
__________________
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 06:05 AM   #102
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan
 
unlawfulsm's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Thomasville, GA
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
How did you get this pic? Self-timer and a sprint
__________________
Get a discount at Smugmug

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:08 AM   #103
dave6253 OP
The Tourist
 
dave6253's Avatar
 
Joined: May 2006
Location: Phoenix, Arizona
Oddometer: 3,003
Close. Interval timer (Time Lapse). I probably told the camera to shoot ten times three seconds apart or something like that, then chose the best one. Camera was on the tripod in the middle of the road. I was already on the bike when I pressed the shuter button and rode away.

BTW, If you read this report, but not my newest, I finally made it to Point Sublime! The ride and the view definitely lived up to the name.
__________________
dave6253 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2011, 07:11 AM   #104
unlawfulsm
Bearded Hooligan
 
unlawfulsm's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2004
Location: Thomasville, GA
Oddometer: 526
Quote:
Originally Posted by dave6253 View Post
Close. Interval timer (Time Lapse). I probably told the camera to shoot ten times three seconds apart or something like that, then chose the best one. Camera was on the tripod in the middle of the road. I was already on the bike when I pressed the shuter button and rode away.

BTW, If you read this report, but not my newest, I finally made it to Point Sublime! The ride and the view definitely lived up to the name.
Thanks for the info. I have a Pentax K200, not sure if it has time lapse or not, something else for me to play with.

Point Sublime was...well, SUBLIME! Thanks for taking us a long.
__________________
Get a discount at Smugmug

Use Code- iFRLhicsrl4no

Great Deals on Gear
unlawfulsm is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 12:54 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2014