User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010, 04:57 AM   #1
Chris.W.Cody OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
should I go for a second hand F800 GS.

Looking into either a F800GS as the R1200GS is a little out of my price range at this point in time. I Am intending to Ride from the northernmost tip of North America to the southern point of South America with my friend. Should I be looking at second hand bikes? If so, what prices would I be looking at for a well looked after bike?

I have looked on a few bike sales sites both in the UK and Australia and Canada. The prices seem to fluctuate dramatically. I found a few just now for just over 600 Euros... and another around 7000 Euros. That just doesn't seem right at all.

Any help would be great.

Also any help in planning and tips on whether or not this bike would even be good for such a trip.

Chris
Chris.W.Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 10:44 AM   #2
RED CAT
Bumpy Backroader

Oddometer: 2,878
Gs800!

Would be the best bike in the world for your trip BUT why not go cheaper a la KLR 650. That way you could beat it, drop it and maybe get it stolen and it wouldn't be as big a deal as an expensive BMW.
RED CAT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
Chris.W.Cody OP
n00b

Oddometer: 5
I would prefer the GS... I really do like that bike. Also, the KLR looks quite small.

The trip is at least a year and a half away so I have plenty of time to pick a bike, but I have to start somewhere. Right now I havent riden any big enduro bikes. For the type of riding we are intending to do the F800GS or the R1200GS look best suited (Not to meantion best looking)

Would you happen to know a starting price for either bikes? Everything I look up is so different. I can't seem to get a stable figure for a good condition second hand one. Or is it the kind of bike you buy new?

Chris
Chris.W.Cody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #4
Nictrolis
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 204
Price will vary based on condition of the used bike. However, a 2010 F800GS goes for about $12,500 USD brand new with the standard options (in New England, anyway... MSRP about $13.7k). I'd guess that based on the limited availability of used bikes, and the fact that BMWs hold their value *relatively* well, that you'd be looking at $8k-10k, with 8k really being something that's got some issues with it. It's only been out for 2 years, so if you find a good one below $8k I'd start asking the police if the VIN comes up stolen!

New or used? I was asking myself the same thing leading up to purchasing an F800GS. Sure, it's great to save a couple thousand on it and feel like you're getting a deal, but I was unable to find a good number of used bikes in my area.

After thinking about it more, and seeing one or two pass by on CL and eBay, I thought about the issues of buying used. I'm planning on having this bike for a long time, and putting some hard miles on it, so I figured the extra couple thousand is worth it to know that some dude didn't just throw it around off-road. As it's seen as a DS bike with a heavier off road bias than some comparable bikes, I thought some of the used ones might be from people who bought it to tear it up and then later found it didn't handle as well as their 200lb dirt bike.

Who knows... gotta really inspect it closely, of course, and there are surely some good used ones out, but if you plan on holding onto it then IMO you're better off buying new or from someone you absolutely trust.
Nictrolis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 09:02 AM   #5
CheckerdD
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,276
www.mcnews.com has a blue book where you can get a rough idea of what they are going for. I don't have enough miles yet on my 800 to tell you which to get. But a used 1200 lasts a long time if maintained. I have 75,000 miles on my 05 and I think of it as just broken in. And they are damn cheap compared to new.

Also let me add that when you get into 3rd world countries, your not driving on interstate highways. Both bikes have more power than you will use. I rode a Honda 125 from Indonesia to Europe in 1975. There were only a few places where I would have liked to have had more power. The guy who suggested the KLR was right if money (and getting parts) is an issue. Dave
Old 06-22-2010, 08:42 PM   #6
Catskill
tree hugger

Oddometer: 1,783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris.W.Cody
I can't seem to get a stable figure for a good condition second hand one. Or is it the kind of bike you buy new?

Chris

I think Nictrolis is pretty right on.. any thing less than $8k and there's something wrong with it. You can farkle the f*ck out of them so it's hard to say what a top price is. A used one could arguably be worth more than a new one with enough up grades and accessories.

I've been considering selling mine ( I can't pick it up on my own) It's an '09 with crash bars side cases/ Givi Top case etc...I wouldn't let it go for less than $10k and it's coming up on 7k miles....

If we stuff the duck with chocolate, does that make him a fudge packer?
Catskill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 10:17 PM   #7
huckleberry
BACK ROAD BOMBER

Oddometer: 1,106
if price is a concern and you want a bmw check out the 650 TWIN its also 800cc and about 2,000.00 cheaper, money that could be spent on suspension and farkles,as both bikes (800 and 650) need help with suspension
Beta Techno
huckleberry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:14 PM   #8
tmex
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,039
You should definitely score a ride on a 650 single. The counterbalancing is excellent and it is very pleasant to ride on the road relative to say a KLR650 or KTM640 which are well-known paint shakers. The 650 single is also very reliable and would be well-suited for your mission statement. You can get a very nice 650 single (even a Dakar model) in great condition for about 5000-6000 USD.