Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 06-20-2010, 11:23 AM   #1
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,244
950 Super Enduro "Quick Question(s)" Thread...

Gentlemen,

I have been in the OC for a little while now, and noticed that (to the best of my knowledge) there is no specific thread where an SE owner can ask a quick question or two (short of starting an entirely new thread for each and every subject). I have posted a coupla' of questions in the 950 SE Photo Thread, but never felt right about doing it.

When I owned my DR650SE, I could go to the DR650 thread, and ask about almost anything. Within five minutes, there were usually three to four responses (like the OC, great bunch of guys over there). So, I wanted to start a similar thread, in the OC, where SE pilots could ask a question or two...whether they were in the middle of a project (and encountered a problem), or just wanted the SE gurus to weigh-in on a strange behavior or issue.

I know that redundancy is met pretty harshly. So, if I am wrong, and a thread like this already exists, I hope that the Mods. will toast this one.

And, for good measure, I will start it off...

I recently pulled-apart the SE to check all the carb. and airbox venting, and complete the H2W jetting. When I did so, I came-across some things about which I wanted to inquire.

1. There is a female connector, between the cylinders, that resembles the horn connectors. It has a transparent blue rubber cover, and appears to be disconnected from a corresponding male connector that is screwed into the front cylinder. What are they...and are they supposed to be connected?

2. There are two hoses that are connected to what I could call the intake manifold area, on the right side. One hose has a screw placed in it, and the other was attached to the right, bottom of the airbox. I assume that the Dealer did this during the SAS/Canisterectomy. Are they supposed to be done that way?

3. How do you adjust the floats in the carbs.?

Thanks in advance...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 06-20-2010 at 11:31 AM
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 11:50 AM   #2
rebelrider153
Adventurer

Oddometer: 32
I dont have an answer but a question on 990 can you change the time to standard or is it only military?
rebelrider153 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 01:28 PM   #3
T O Double D
Pogue Mahone

Oddometer: 930
Great start to this one... I don't have an answer either.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelrider153
I dont have an answer but a question on 990 can you change the time to standard or is it only military?
Since when are there 990 Super Enduros?
T O Double D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:00 PM   #4
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 741
[

1. There is a female connector, between the cylinders, that resembles the horn connectors. It has a transparent blue rubber cover, and appears to be disconnected from a corresponding male connector that is screwed into the front cylinder. What are they...and are they supposed to be connected?

2. There are two hoses that are connected to what I could call the intake manifold area, on the right side. One hose has a screw placed in it, and the other was attached to the right, bottom of the airbox. I assume that the Dealer did this during the SAS/Canisterectomy. Are they supposed to be done that way?

Thanks in advance...

.[/quote] 1.Don't know 2.yes 3.carefully bend the little tabs that touch the float neddles
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:01 PM   #5
traveltoad
Aaron S

Oddometer: 6,565
Two SE questions:

How do I keep the front wheel on the ground?

How do I keep myself from laughing while riding?
traveltoad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 05:04 PM   #6
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 741
Quote:
Originally Posted by traveltoad
Two SE questions:

How do I keep the front wheel on the ground?

How do I keep myself from laughing while riding?
Not humanly possible to either
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #7
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ
Gentlemen,

I have been in the OC for a little while now, and noticed that (to the best of my knowledge) there is no specific thread where an SE owner can ask a quick question or two (short of starting an entirely new thread for each and every subject). I have posted a coupla' of questions in the 950 SE Photo Thread, but never felt right about doing it.

When I owned my DR650SE, I could go to the DR650 thread, and ask about almost anything. Within five minutes, there were usually three to four responses (like the OC, great bunch of guys over there). So, I wanted to start a similar thread, in the OC, where SE pilots could ask a question or two...whether they were in the middle of a project (and encountered a problem), or just wanted the SE gurus to weigh-in on a strange behavior or issue.

I know that redundancy is met pretty harshly. So, if I am wrong, and a thread like this already exists, I hope that the Mods. will toast this one.

And, for good measure, I will start it off...

I recently pulled-apart the SE to check all the carb. and airbox venting, and complete the H2W jetting. When I did so, I came-across some things about which I wanted to inquire.

Thanks in advance...

1. I think is your oil pressure switch, hook it back up.

2. Plug or cap them both, leave a little length in the hose and leave them easy to get at for balancing your carbs. Pretty shitty work if I'm reading this right since the bottom of the airbox is where the dirty air is.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."

triplenickel screwed with this post 06-20-2010 at 07:12 PM
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 08:13 PM   #8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Thanks...

dogsslober and triplenickel,

Thanks so much for your responses. They probably don't seem like much on your end. However, they are a HUGE help to someone like me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober
...3.carefully bend the little tabs that touch the float neddles
I looked-over the float area pretty well. I didn't see anything that I felt comfortable "carefully" bending. ds, I don't know if you will be seeing this post...However, are you talking about the two little pieces of "wire" that look like the metal inside of a bread tie?

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
...2. Plug or cap them both, leave a little length in the hose and leave them easy to get at for balancing your carbs...
I was mistaken, tn. The one on the rear has about 12 inches of hose attached to it, and is plugged with a screw of some sort. The one on the front has about 16-18 inches of hose attached to it, and was hooked to the airbox. However, upon closer inspection, it was hooked to an inch-long nub that is attached to the right, rear, upper edge of the airbox bottom. The nub is not a vent of any kind, just a (approximately) one-inch plastic extension of some sort. The hose was attached to it with a hose clamp.

Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
...Pretty shitty work if I'm reading this right since the bottom of the airbox is where the dirty air is.
While I may have been mistaken about the mounting of the hose, you are absolutely correct about shitty work. That is the only reason why I (a complete mechanical dumbass) decided to undertake this mess. I can't trust my dealer, and am sick of paying so much for substandard work.

I do a lot of my own maintenance on my 300, and have discovered some of the stuff that they have tried to get-away with on it. At this point, I am not sure that I would trust my dealer to put gas in my bike.

So, as I've stated before, "Thanks" to everyone for the help.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 06-20-2010 at 08:19 PM
Old 06-20-2010, 08:42 PM   #9
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,419
Quote:
I was mistaken, tn. The one on the rear has about 12 inches of hose attached to it, and is plugged with a screw of some sort. The one on the front has about 16-18 inches of hose attached to it, and was hooked to the airbox. However, upon closer inspection, it was hooked to an inch-long nub that is attached to the right, rear, upper edge of the airbox bottom. The nub is not a vent of any kind, just a (approximately) one-inch plastic extension of some sort. The hose was attached to it with a hose clamp.
Good deal, poor girl doesn't deserve dirty air.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2010, 09:08 PM   #10
matt71
glasshouse bandit

Oddometer: 296
Quote:
Originally Posted by T O Double D
Great start to this one... I don't have an answer either.

Since when are there 990 Super Enduros?

there aren't any 990 se's .
matt71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:09 AM   #11
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
From this and your updated description, these are indeed the vacuum lines from the inlets. Their primary use is for balancing the carbs. I use the rear cyclinder spigot for activating my Scottoiler (which is great) and the front one is stopped on the nub at the back of the airbox as yours is. It should be a tight fit not requiring a hose clamp but it wouldn't hurt to have one. Be sure to seal these two pipes well as any leaks will make your engine run like crap!

The manual advises a carb balance every major service, which could be every other year! I would do it much more often as it make the low engine speed pick up much more friendly and generally smooths things out to have the carbs well balanced.

I bought a pair of dial gauges for about 35 which are ok but I intend to make a manometer to fine tune. The KTM workshop dial gauges are something like 250!!! Plenty of info on ADVrider and in the manual on how to balance and a good skill to learn. On the SE (or SM in my case) you need to remove the tank then reconnect the fuel pump power and hoses with the tank on a stand next to the bike so you can run the bike with the top of the airbox off. You may need to extend the high pressure fuel line to achieve this though.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:11 AM   #12
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,370
Quote:

1. Already answered - its your oil pressure switch
2. The bit on the right-bottom of the airbox is just a blank. Its doing the same job as your screw. Nothing to worry about. Personally, Id put a screw in both - then they are easier to get to when balancing carbs
3. You have to bend this tab

From here: http://www.ktm950.info/how/carbs/Jetting/h2w_kit.html
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2010, 01:14 AM   #13
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebelrider153
Don't know about the clocks on the later 990s but with the clocks as found on the SE (& SM) the manual only shows it in 24 hour mode (military as you say) and only details how to adjust it. I cannot see any other way to change it either.
Old 06-21-2010, 03:52 AM   #14
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Thanks for the photo, and the link, mookymoo.

Old 06-21-2010, 04:06 AM   #15
GSBS
FunHog

Oddometer: 3,865
Tank Bag for SE with Safari tank...

I've decided I need a waterproof tank bag for my SE, which is fitted with a Safari 7.9-gallon tank. I want something as small and out-of-the-way as possible - enough to hold a camera, cell phone, wallet, etc. - that is water-PROOF when closed, not one that requires a separate rain cover.

The ideal size would be like a Wolfman Enduro, but that model isn't waterproof.

I'm also wondering if the Safari's gas cap vent tube will interfere with fitment.

Anyone with the SE and Safari got a recommendation? I've seen the GL Fandango but it looks on the large side for what I'm after.

Thanks!
GSBS is offline   Reply With Quote