ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-23-2015, 01:41 AM   #1
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 230
NEW Options for 2-into-1 Exhaust AND Auxiliary Fuel Tank for KTM 990

So, long story short, I still have the stock cans on my 990 Baja and it's time to ditch them. I had planned on doing a 2-into-1 exhaust, with the Neduro/ADVTank on the other side for extended range. However, the more I read about the Neduro the more I realized it wasn't going to work for me since I have one of the rack systems it's not comparable with. I know CJ Designs makes a "liquid storage tank" but I'm not a big fan of how it looks or having to buy all the fuel lines and fittings separately…especially for that kind of $$$$.

I was just about to give up on the 2-into-1 idea and get a pair of Wings/Akros/Remus/Arrows and just carry a Rotopax when needed. However, another ADV rider mentioned that CPR Fabrication (aka Rottweiler Performance) was working on a new design. That jogged the memory banks loose and I remembered following their trip to BAJA on their Facebook page and seeing a 990 with a 2-into-1 and a really nice looking Aux Tank. I assumed this was a custom one-off because it wasn't anywhere on their website.

So, today I called Chris up and we chatted for about a half hour about it. I told him I saw the pictures of the setup on the Baja trip and he confirmed that YES they are working on a BRAND NEW offering for a 2-into-1 exhaust system and a new Auxiliary fuel tank for KTM 990's!!! He said the materials are on order and should be at the shop shortly and that the full kits should be available for purchase in 2-3 months. He was very thorough and took his time explaining everything, so I'll try to pass on what he told me. Price is still TBA but he's thinking somewhere in the ballpark of $1200 for the full system. I asked to be put down for a pre-order and boom! I'm number one on the list!! Woot woot!

Exhaust: He will be using a Yoshimura full carbon pipe from the 1190, specially fitted for the 990. Because it was designed for 1000CC bike to begin with, he said it has a great sound and no loss of power…

Aux Fuel Tank: He's planning on producing two different size tanks….one at about 1.5 gallons and another larger version. The tanks will have a couple of unique features….compatibility with anti-debris fuel socks/filters AND they will be quick attach/detatch by hand! So, you'll be able to quickly add the tank when you want it for longer rides and leave it off the bike when you don't.

Here are some pics from their trip. The black 990 with the Rottweiler graphics and black crash bars is the one with the prototype fuel tank and 2-into-1 exhaust:

Kronreif, Trunkenpolz of Mattighofen - Model 990, Adventure Baja

NeptuneTriton screwed with this post 01-23-2015 at 02:14 AM
NeptuneTriton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:36 AM   #2
Getitdirty
Ride Bosnia

Oddometer: 17
Exactly what I'm looking for...

This looks great. I was about to have something similar fabricated but will get in touch with these guys first. Please post the contact details.

I'm relocating to Namibia later this year and additional fuel is high on my priority list for my 990. This is assuming I can find a means to get the bike there without breaking the bank! Would love to ride it from Bosnia but that would mean passing through several conflict zones, not to mention the impossibility of getting permission from the Wife.
Getitdirty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 02:52 PM   #3
sonoran
you already know

Oddometer: 24,840
Good to hear. Already have 2:1, would be interested in their aux tank.
sonoran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 03:37 PM   #4
WanderBeaver
Wanderer

Oddometer: 132
NeptuneTriton, this is off topic but in viewing your pics (I double clicked on one pic to get larger and ended up seeing some honey badgers and nice white Baja Adv pics) I saw a really nice adjustable screen. What brand is that and do you have a link to them?

NOT off topic is that this pipe and tank combo looks awesome. I really like the look of this aux tank as I find the plastic ones, though larger, are not very attractive and look cumbersome. And I like the fact that the can is designed for 1000 cc so no loss in peak power or sound. I heard 2-1 loses a bit of peak power and has a 'different' sound than 2-2, not sure if that's worse or not but different at least, but assume keeping the sound the same as a 2-2 would be a good thing. Very very attractive muffler AND aux tank.

I'm also curious how big the larger of the two will be. 1.5 G is okay but the plastic aux tanks are about 2 G so it'd be nice to have that at least. $1200 is for the pipe and tank I presume.....as a kit including all connections/hoses and quick disconnects which is a really cool feature.

WanderBeaver screwed with this post 01-24-2015 at 05:29 AM
WanderBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2015, 10:25 PM   #5
armourbl
Adventure Life

Oddometer: 626
So many cool parts, so little money...

Subscribed to see the final result and report from the customer number 1.

ben
Old 01-25-2015, 09:45 PM   #6
Zuber
Zoob

Oddometer: 2,091
Did he mention if they have a custom fuel map for this setup?
Old 01-26-2015, 05:45 AM   #7
rokdktr
Adventure North

Oddometer: 227
Looks Great!
Old 01-26-2015, 06:05 AM   #8
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,726
My solution....

I gutted both of my steel exhaust cannisters, did a two into one conversion, and made the left canister an auxiliary 1.5 gallon reserve. Advantage is that on the 950 SE, which tends to crash in the woods on occasion, the steel exhaust canisters are like bumpers. With the catalytic converters out, less heat, and the look is maintained:

Have had this set-up since 2008. Surprised that the accessory guys haven't followed through with this, since there are plenty of discarded stock cans around. Cost me about $100 for the gutting and welding.

Yes, the end has been closed off!

Old 01-27-2015, 07:03 AM   #9
NW_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by docgonzo View Post

Cool setup! Do you get concerned looks from people at the gas station thinking you've lost it as you are pumping gas onto a "hot" exhaust?
Old 01-27-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
john_aero
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,173
can i ask any details on how you plumbed it into fuel tanks
Old 01-27-2015, 08:59 AM   #11
WanderBeaver
Wanderer

Oddometer: 132
Great idea and looks factory, and true they're tougher than Ti/alum pipes. Not to hijack but how is the sound/power with the gutted stock can? One could of course put a Ti/alum aftermarket on the right and still transform one of their old stock cans into a tank like you did. 1.5 gallons is a fair bit for the price, especially when it serves double duty as a side panel protector.
WanderBeaver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2015, 09:17 AM   #12
docgonzo
Old Gadfly

Oddometer: 13,726
Quote:
Originally Posted by john_aero View Post
can i ask any details on how you plumbed it into fuel tanks
Sent you a P.M...... Don't want to hijack the thread....
Old 01-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #13
Ryno041
racer -> adventurer

Oddometer: 72
I'm on the list

Just spoke with Chris yesterday for his 2 into 1 with Yosh pipe. I'm about 15 down on the list he said. I'm excited to finally get this 2 into 1, and done correctly!
Old 02-02-2015, 02:11 PM   #14
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Well, I touched base with Chris again before the weekend to see if he had anymore photos of the setup and luckily he did! Looks great!

Old 02-02-2015, 02:14 PM   #15
NeptuneTriton OP
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by WanderBeaver View Post
NeptuneTriton, this is off topic but in viewing your pics (I double clicked on one pic to get larger and ended up seeing some honey badgers and nice white Baja Adv pics) I saw a really nice adjustable screen. What brand is that and do you have a link to them?
Yeah, it's the VooDoo fairing made by Britannia Composites. It comes with a new HID/LED headlight assembly, fairing, and windshield. The back side has a built in dash that can be used as a GPS holder as well. LOVE IT! Here's a whole thread on it....

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=970541