User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-18-2014, 07:36 AM   #1
tkrwyo13 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
990 Fuel warning light

Wondering when your fuel warning light comes on how many gallons of gas you can squeeze in your 990.

My owners manual says the bike (2010 990) holds 5.3 gallons, and if I drive 170 miles and then 30-40 miles on the fuel warning light so over 200 miles. I can only squeeze 4.5 gallons in MAX. I can never come close to putting 5 gallons in. Even when fueling on the centerstand.

I am wondering if my fuel warning light has been coming on early or if this is typical behavior? The bike is running great and I am just trying to get more accustomed to it before I leave on a 1400 mile trip tomorrow. (I have been enjoying ownership for just about 2 months now)

Thanks for your help!
tkrwyo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 07:55 AM   #2
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,523
2010 990R here.
My light comes on at about 180 miles. That leaves me a little more than a gallon of fuel.
I've put 5.3 gallons in ignoring and keeping a wary eye on that light.
Centerstand.
I put 5.3 in a couple of weeks ago on the side stand.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkrwyo13 View Post
Wondering when your fuel warning light comes on how many gallons of gas you can squeeze in your 990.

My owners manual says the bike (2010 990) holds 5.3 gallons, and if I drive 170 miles and then 30-40 miles on the fuel warning light so over 200 miles. I can only squeeze 4.5 gallons in MAX. I can never come close to putting 5 gallons in. Even when fueling on the centerstand.

I am wondering if my fuel warning light has been coming on early or if this is typical behavior? The bike is running great and I am just trying to get more accustomed to it before I leave on a 1400 mile trip tomorrow. (I have been enjoying ownership for just about 2 months now)

Thanks for your help!
Old 08-18-2014, 09:31 AM   #3
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
I've just been checking mine because I went to a Wings/Rottweiler combo. 2010 Adv.
Light goes on about 260 km - 162 miles. I can put about 18 l. (4.7 gal.) in at this point. I have not run it dry, but assume I have 2 l. reserve - about 35 km.

The last tank before the Rottweiler went to 300 km (186 mi.) before reserve - I had never got that before! It usually went on about 280 km - 174 mi.

I'm not crazy about my reduced range but I'm still getting nearly 40 mpg - and the performance gain is substantial. (Irrelevant to your request :loll)
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 09:50 AM   #4
Mr Head
PowerPoint ADV

Oddometer: 6,523
mostly off topic - but, I'm considering eventually going to the CPR filter as well. I have Akro's right now along with the map. Seems to always be about 40 mpg, +/- a little. I can get more if I keep to about 45 to 50 mph. Running into the wind going out of Death Valley in May dropped my mileage into the low 30's though that was close!
Went on reserve right north of the 168/395 intersection.
At least I had a tailwind home.
I'm going to buy a Rotopax 2 gallon tank and carry that when traveling off the charts.
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
I've just been checking mine because I went to a Wings/Rottweiler combo. 2010 Adv.
Light goes on about 260 km - 162 miles. I can put about 18 l. (4.7 gal.) in at this point. I have not run it dry, but assume I have 2 l. reserve - about 35 km.

The last tank before the Rottweiler went to 300 km (186 mi.) before reserve - I had never got that before! It usually went on about 280 km - 174 mi.

I'm not crazy about my reduced range but I'm still getting nearly 40 mpg - and the performance gain is substantial. (Irrelevant to your request :loll)
Old 08-18-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
FakeName
Wile E Coyote SuperGenius

Oddometer: 1,644
One bright Spring early morning through Nevada on the Alien Highway, I decided I really open her up- sustained +100 speeds- empty highway through nowhere. The hell with the cops, I was ready for tickets, whatever! I was FREE!

My fuel light came on right as I passed the sign saying next town was in 74 miles.

Oops.

My point is my mileage varies a lot- blasting through the desert burns fuel very quickly.

Saved again by my 1 gallon rotopax.

2011 White 990 Adv S
2014 500EXC Black
FakeName is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 11:56 AM   #6
tkrwyo13 OP
Adventurer

Oddometer: 54
Quote:
Originally Posted by FakeName View Post
One bright Spring early morning through Nevada on the Alien Highway, I decided I really open her up- sustained +100 speeds- empty highway through nowhere. The hell with the cops, I was ready for tickets, whatever! I was FREE!

My fuel light came on right as I passed the sign saying next town was in 74 miles.

Oops.

My point is my mileage varies a lot- blasting through the desert burns fuel very quickly.

Saved again by my 1 gallon rotopax.
Thanks for the interesting antedote. From the sound of it, there can be some variation (gallon wise) to when the fuel light comes on but mine seems pretty reasonable. I just wanted to make sure it wasn't coming on way to early for some reason. Because If I stop when the light has only just illuminated I usually only put about 4 gallons in.
tkrwyo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 12:39 PM   #7
folknride
Old Adventurer

Oddometer: 627
Read in the forum somewhere that the best way to check your range is:
1) Fill both tanks to capacity
2) Turn of right tank petcock
3) Ride until it dies
4) Range max is your mileage X 2 (you didn't forget to 0 your trip meter did you)
5) Turn on right petcock and ride on

I haven't done it - kind of worried about plugging and injector with crap lurking in the bottom of the tank = paranoia.
folknride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2014, 01:12 PM   #8
craigincali
Just hanging around

Oddometer: 1,873
2010 990 My light goes on around 176 miles usually. I get gas asap usually takes 4.7 gallons. Mileage varies a lot on these bikes. I can get anywhere from 54 mpg to 32 mpg depending what I am doing and how hard I am doing it
craigincali is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 06:45 PM   #9
Deathb4Mullets
n00b

Oddometer: 7
ha! my light doesn't go on at all!

my bike died on the freeway right by SFO in the fast lane at mile 190. so i just fill up around 160 everytime now. Next time I take the tanks off ill check all the connectors. But with the CJ Designs oil drain hose, I'm not sure when that'll be!
Deathb4Mullets is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 11:59 PM   #10
Gimme 2
Team slo ass

Oddometer: 1,895
Quote:
Originally Posted by folknride View Post
Read in the forum somewhere that the best way to check your range is:
1) Fill both tanks to capacity
2) Turn of right tank petcock
3) Ride until it dies
4) Range max is your mileage X 2 (you didn't forget to 0 your trip meter did you)
5) Turn on right petcock and ride on

I haven't done it - kind of worried about plugging and injector with crap lurking in the bottom of the tank = paranoia.
Yep , works great . i do it with the 44l safari tanks, cant notice a variation in weight when its empty on one side.

Another interesting thing you can do if you have the large tanks is to turn 180 degs the Low fuel sensor this will make the reserve much closer to the original reserve amount instead of a shit load.