Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-30-2010, 12:36 PM   #136
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,335
Just tore the bike down to do a valve check. All in the middle of spec so the cams didn't come out. Also took the chance to remove the sas and the canister. My FMF pipes are going on the bike as soon as I get my jet kit.

It's doing a couple strange things. First I used to be able to start the bike, get it up to 2 bars and go if I needed to. If I try to give it much fuel before it's fully warm now it just dies.
Also if the tank is less than 1/3 full and I crank a decent wheelie it dies shortly after the front end hits the ground and it's a PITA to restart. Feels like fuel starvation.

What could I have done that would cause these issues? Is it something with a line that maybe I didn't do right from the sas and canister? Will removing this stuff require a rejet ?
Old 08-30-2010, 08:23 PM   #137
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,643
Hey Rob,

I'm not trying to be a smart-ass when I ask this...But, did you remember to completely open both fuel taps when you re-fitted the tank?

Also, in regard to the rejet...

My dealer did my SAS/Canisterectomy, while the SE was at their place for a service. Prior to that, I noticed that the bike surged, a little. However, after the SAS/Canisterectomy, the bike was completely intolerable. It surged so bad, at 0-to-1/3 throttle, that I hated even riding the thing. Plus, the surging made the bike impossible to ride in the rain.

So, if you start experiencing "issues", a rejet may be in order. Talk to Ken (Head2Wind), and tell him what you are looking for out of your bike. He'll get you pointed in the right direction.

Good Luck. I hope you find the problem...

P.S.- Don't forget to check those fuel taps...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2010, 05:47 AM   #138
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,335
I still remember when I built the bike out of the crate and I didn't turn the fuel taps on. What a dumb asss move that was!! The fuel taps were the first thing I checked. I may go back in and trace the fuel lines and make sure none of them are kinked anywhere.

I was planning on a rejet anyway. I might just live with it till fall and then do it. I've got about 5 months under the snow here so it'll give me lots of time to tear into it.

Thanks for the ideas.
Old 09-06-2010, 01:28 AM   #139
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Can anybody point what can cause a little popping in exhaust when bike is on idle? Seems like rear cylinder is causing this. Quite a lot of popping when decelerating too. Fuel mileage is ok, power seems ok too.
My SE started behave that way after 15000km inspection, when I installed also H2W prefilter kit. SAS and EPC were removed already before. Could I misalign cams during valve check by one tooth (though I believe it will then have more problems than just popping)? Carbs needing cleaning? Some air leakage problems? I'm doing 22500km inspection at the moment and can have a look at the carbs more easily.
Carbs were synchronized during inspection.
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2010, 07:12 PM   #140
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,497
Aaaargh!

I just did the Facet fuel pump fix on my 950SE. While I was at it, I added a Head 2 Wind jet kit and the flex jets.

The bike will immediately turn over, but dies within a microsecond, then will not turn over again.

I can hear the pump running when I turn the key on, and I am sure the taps are open.

I set the jets and flexjet just as recommended by Northwest Adventure Machines.

Any ideas what the problem may be? I am working more than playing right now, so don't have lots of time to troubleshoot.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:07 PM   #141
mhsnowy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Ideal sprocket sizes?

What is the ideal sprocket sizes on the 950 SE? Standard is 17/45.

I want to be able to ride comfortably on the road but have good off road gearing.

Opinions please!
mhsnowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 01:25 PM   #142
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,497
Quote:
Originally Posted by randel
Can anybody point what can cause a little popping in exhaust when bike is on idle? Seems like rear cylinder is causing this. Quite a lot of popping when decelerating too. Fuel mileage is ok, power seems ok too.
My SE started behave that way after 15000km inspection, when I installed also H2W prefilter kit. SAS and EPC were removed already before. Could I misalign cams during valve check by one tooth (though I believe it will then have more problems than just popping)? Carbs needing cleaning? Some air leakage problems? I'm doing 22500km inspection at the moment and can have a look at the carbs more easily.
My search of the same problem: fuel mixture too lean, or possibly a leak in a header or pipe.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 02:13 PM   #143
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,932
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsnowy

I want to be able to ride comfortably on the road but have good off road gearing.

Opinions please!
17/45 IS the proper gearing for 50/50 Dual Sporting
I wouldnt dare change mine
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 05:22 PM   #144
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,643
Quote:
Can anybody point what can cause a little popping in exhaust when bike is on idle?...
I'm guessing this V

Quote:
...Some air leakage problems?...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:04 PM   #145
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by mhsnowy

Opinions please!
16/45 is what I run and I like it, it slows you down a bit, you'll still be on the clutch in tight shit but you'll also be able to get a big fat fine on the freeway in fifth if you want.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 08:07 PM   #146
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Any jetting changes when you installed the pre filter?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 09:12 PM   #147
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,620
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
16/45 is what I run and I like it, it slows you down a bit, you'll still be on the clutch in tight shit but you'll also be able to get a big fat fine on the freeway in fifth if you want.

+1....bike will still do 130mph
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:55 PM   #148
randel
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
Any jetting changes when you installed the pre filter?
Yes I replaced Factory Pro kit 170/165 jets with H2W suggested combination (148/152 perhaps?)
I will check possible air leakage today as suggested and can probably check rear spark plug color too ( I hope I can remove spark plug without removing airbox).
randel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2010, 11:57 PM   #149
mhsnowy
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Sprocket sizes.

Just checked mine and it has 17/42

No wonder it struggles to lift the front wheel.

Next chain sprocket change I will try the 16/45.
mhsnowy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2010, 01:09 AM   #150
Pete640
I hate sand.......

Oddometer: 1,633
MS - Just try changing the CS sprocket to 16t - it makes a heap of difference.

Im just wondering what the distance is in mm between the top and bottom bolts securing the subframe to the main? Ive got an 950A and have a good project idea (I think) that may be applicable to the SE as well.

Thanks in advance.

Pete