Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-11-2013, 10:15 AM   #1756
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
What is this diode actually for? It is in the cowling, and part number 11 on the parts fiche.

One of the wires going into it broke; I only noticed that my indicators stopped working. I have repaired the wire, but now the indicators don't flash, just a constant light. I thought diodes are just like a one-way directional valve for the current, but wondering if it has something to do with the flashing?...

bigkuri screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 10:22 AM
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 11:47 AM   #1757
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
What is this diode actually for? It is in the cowling, and part number 11 on the parts fiche.

One of the wires going into it broke; I only noticed that my indicators stopped working. I have repaired the wire, but now the indicators don't flash, just a constant light. I thought diodes are just like a one-way directional valve for the current, but wondering if it has something to do with the flashing?...
Pretty Much, they tend to go two ways...ohms meter...they break so no flow, they open so flow both ways.

Looking at the SE C diagram...can only see two diodes....one diode is to do with return for the gear sensor switch and tuther clutch switch...should be nout to do with indicators....check flasher relay.
Old 05-11-2013, 12:25 PM   #1758
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 10,068
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I just bought a used tail light off ebay for $20. It's for an '04 Adventure, but they look identical on the fiche even though they have a different p/n. The OEM Adv part is $120 for some reason.
I received the used Adv tail light yesterday and it is identical to the SE (and SM) piece. Still can't understand why the Adv piece is $40 more (OEM) than the others.

I also don't understand why KTM didn't provide a lens that screws on, rather than making it a whole sub-assembly. There's not much room to snake your hand in to either replace a bulb or remove the unit. Having younger grand-kids is helpful
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:48 PM   #1759
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 697
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie264 View Post
Pretty Much, they tend to go two ways...ohms meter...they break so no flow, they open so flow both ways.

Looking at the SE C diagram...can only see two diodes....one diode is to do with return for the gear sensor switch and tuther clutch switch...should be nout to do with indicators....check flasher relay.
Thanks! eerrrrr which one is actually the flasher relay? The last one before the tail-light??...
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 12:58 PM   #1760
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,927
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I received the used Adv tail light yesterday and it is identical to the SE (and SM) piece ...
Walter,
I added a 1/2" thick piece of foam to the existing top foam on the lens to keep it from shaking & jarring on rough trails

http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=580886

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 01:44 PM   #1761
charlie264
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,670
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Thanks! eerrrrr which one is actually the flasher relay? The last one before the tail-light??...
Just looking....It also says diode for flasher control.... Sorry. Relay is behind head light mask...on the right.

Yep, sorry there is a diode inline for the live feed to relay........

charlie264 screwed with this post 05-11-2013 at 01:58 PM
charlie264 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #1762
twwhitey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crowley View Post
It stands out quite a but more than the old tube type bracket that I have on mine. Tube type has no clearance problems.
You don't by any chance have any pics of said tube type bracket do you? Is this available from Safari? I have the flat bracket style and very regularly make contact on what I'd consider minimal hits. I'd like to see if I can solve that problem
twwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2013, 06:00 PM   #1763
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,545
The Flat bracket is an updated part from Safari to replace the tube.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhiteside View Post
You don't by any chance have any pics of said tube type bracket do you? Is this available from Safari? I have the flat bracket style and very regularly make contact on what I'd consider minimal hits. I'd like to see if I can solve that problem
www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 04:30 AM   #1764
twwhitey
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hodgo View Post
The Flat bracket is an updated part from Safari to replace the tube.
Interesting and good to know as there doesnt appear to be much you can do to really increase the clearance. Thanks Hodgo
twwhitey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2013, 05:16 AM   #1765
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,518
Quote:
Originally Posted by Twhiteside View Post
We ground our bracket back on the centered one and have not had any issues with touching and we have a couple hits where it has bottomed.

....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us

Two Moto Kiwis screwed with this post 05-13-2013 at 03:31 PM Reason: Photos added
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:42 PM   #1766
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,433
Here's my first query.

I have had my 950 SE for a week now. I have ridden it 4 times. The first three times I road it, the clutch was fine. Those 3 rides added up to only 119 miles.

Today, I took it out of the garage, started it up and let it warm up for a bit, but not as long as I did the other times. I then got on it, pulled the clutch in and shifted it in to neutral. It lurched and stalled, as if the clutch wasn't pulled at all.

I started it back up, and it was a bit better but stalled as soon as I started giving it gas. Third time, I was able to get it in to gear and then ride it. The clutch progressively got better as I road. I was taking all back roads. I then got on the highway, and road for about a mile. When I went to exit, there was no clutch again. It was hard to down shift. By the time I got to the end of teh off ramp, the clutch was showing pressure again.

I road it to the office, and parked it. Later in the day, when I was ready to ride home, I let it warm up longer, and it appeared the clutch was better. However, it appears that when I get some air through the engine, and cool things down, the lever loses pressure.

Note that today was cooler than the the other days I rode.

So, I have arrived at the hydrolics. My question is, are there any known issues with the clutch slave on these things? Are they they temperature sensitive?

How much fluid does the clutch system hold?

Do I bleed it just like a brake system?

I see some after market clutch slaves. How do I know if mine is bad, and if any of these are good? I don't see any leaking from the slave, but it is hard to tell because the chain leaves it's share of lube.

Thanks for any input. I am under the gun to figure this out so I can go camping this Friday-Monday.
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:49 PM   #1767
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,515
yes, there are known issues with the clutch slave on these bikes.

You could bleed the clutch and get it back, but it's gonna need a new slave cylinder sonner rather than later. There are a couple of aftermarket options available. Research Oberon and Evoluzione.

Good luck

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 03:52 PM   #1768
AndyCap
Mineral Oil Anyone?

Oddometer: 1,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
yes, there are known issues with the clutch slave on these bikes.

You could bleed the clutch and get it back, but it's gonna need a new slave cylinder sonner rather than later. There are a couple of aftermarket options available. Research Oberon and Evoluzione.

Good luck
Thanks - figured as much.

Is there an ADV preferred Clutch Slave? Pros/Cons?
AndyCap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:30 PM   #1769
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,515
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyCap View Post
Thanks - figured as much.

Is there an ADV preferred Clutch Slave? Pros/Cons?
I don't think one is preferred over the other. I have run both on different bikes successfully but I'm thinking the Evo unit may not be available anymore?

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2013, 05:41 PM   #1770
v8toilet
Nothing to see here.

Oddometer: 1,710
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
I don't think one is preferred over the other. I have run both on different bikes successfully but I'm thinking the Evo unit may not be available anymore?
Evo no longer exists. Oberon or Siguetech or KTM upgraded the OEM one at some point supposedly.
v8toilet is offline   Reply With Quote