ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #1966
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
May be try a new flasher relay, cheap enough, or start looking for chafed wire's
Checked the wiring diagram and there is only the one relay, now the front indicators are no problem at all.

I also noticed that sometime they start to flash normal then the back ones lose it, the front just flash quicker so I am thinking wiring / earth to the rear is the prob.

If the relay was pooed the front would go AWOL too?, will have a good scout around tomorrow in the daylight.

Cheers Andi
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #1967
GoinRidin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
I have CJ's leather bag with a few more things in it and moved the hook/ boss over to the left side. Took the bag out for the pic.
I see your hook now near the fuse block

Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
...or this, if you carry the full kit

Thanks...what all is in the tool kit? That is huge! I have one I never used and it has been in a box with take off stuff for two years now. So thought id put it there since under the seat is empty.
GoinRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #1968
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinRidin View Post
Thanks!

I see your hook now near the fuse block

Thanks...what all is in the tool kit? That is huge! I have one I never used and it has been in a box with take off stuff for two years now. So thought id put it there since under the seat is empty.

Literally everything you need to do full trailside maintenance. Great little kit. It can be enhanced, but doesn't need to be.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #1969
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Literally everything you need to do full trailside maintenance. Great little kit. It can be enhanced, but doesn't need to be.

KTM did a great job with the kit for sure.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #1970
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Checked the wiring diagram and there is only the one relay, now the front indicators are no problem at all.

I also noticed that sometime they start to flash normal then the back ones lose it, the front just flash quicker so I am thinking wiring / earth to the rear is the prob.

If the relay was pooed the front would go AWOL too?, will have a good scout around tomorrow in the daylight.

Cheers Andi
Someone added an earth to the rear stuff? Easy fix.. ?
Old 03-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #1971
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Someone added an earth to the rear stuff? Easy fix.. ?
Had a scratch around today, nothing looked outa place or unusual, cleaned and crimped fittings, see if this works if not I will add earth wire prior the plug going north and take it to the subframe.
Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #1972
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
I'm not in town at the moment or I'd give you the list, but I totally agree. I may have swapped out a couple of pieces, otherwise it's complete. I've even got a bottle opener. The only thing I carry additionally are a small ratchet and spoons.
Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 AM   #1973
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Had a scratch around today, nothing looked outa place or unusual, cleaned and crimped fittings, see if this works if not I will add earth wire prior the plug going north and take it to the subframe.
Still think you should replace the relay :) They are cheap, and while I know you said the front ones flash ok, maybe it is damaged and not passing enough juice? Hate electrical problems...
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #1974
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 11,505
Hmmnnn, I wonder if there's any psychology involved behind why SE owners loop the rubber band right, left, or center over the tool pouch. I just checked and mine slants left.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #1975
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Still think you should replace the relay :) They are cheap, and while I know you said the front ones flash ok, maybe it is damaged and not passing enough juice? Hate electrical problems...
Will do, where is the actual relay located, is it behind the mask?
Old 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #1976
Boatman
Upward and onward!!

Oddometer: 10,527
Quote:
Will do, where is the actual relay located, is it behind the mask?

Yes, behind the mask.

#18 on the parts diagram for the wiring harness.

18 44611207200 FLASHER UNIT 97 $49.89

Did you check the plug that feeds the turn signals in the back. There are 2 plugs right at the seat latch in the rear,,, the one with the 4 wires is the plug for the indicators. 2 grounds,,, 2 feeds. If you unplug it the fronts will flash fast. Use a non-led test light to see if there is an issue leading to that point. If you hook up a test light, it and the front should flash normal.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs

Boatman screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 02:55 PM
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #1977
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Yes, behind the mask.

#18 on the parts diagram for the wiring harness.

18 44611207200 FLASHER UNIT 97 $49.89

Did you check the plug that feeds the turn signals in the back. There are 2 plugs right at the seat latch in the rear,,, the one with the 4 wires is the plug for the indicators. 2 grounds,,, 2 feeds. If you unplug it the fronts will flash fast. Use a non-led test light to see if there is an issue leading to that point. If you hook up a test light, it and the front should flash normal.
Yeah pulled that 4 pin plug, gave everything a clean and scratch, everything seemed to work ok then not.

Didn't test light it but yeah when the indicators work properly everything is normal speed, then the backs will stop working and the fronts flash faster, I feel I am chasing an earthing fault but north of that 4 pin plug it disappears in a wod of wire in the wiring loom and my expertise disappears with it.

Will take the mask off tomorrow, fitting new heated grips so will tinker with the winker and see what happens.

Cheers for the help
Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #1978
TrentW
MMmmmm....

Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Didn't test light it but yeah when the indicators work properly everything is normal speed, then the backs will stop working and the fronts flash faster, I feel I am chasing an earthing fault but north of that 4 pin plug it disappears in a wod of wire in the wiring loom and my expertise disappears with it.
Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like there are 2x connectors at the back - 1x for indicators + number plate light (4 wires) and 1x for brake / tail light(s) (3 wires).

They all share a common earth (Brown wire)

Do the brake / tail lights also stop working when the rear indicators stop working?
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #1979
Boatman
Upward and onward!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post
Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like there are 2x connectors at the back - 1x for indicators + number plate light (4 wires) and 1x for brake / tail light(s) (3 wires).

They all share a common earth (Brown wire)

Do the brake / tail lights also stop working when the rear indicators stop working?

Yes you are correct about the 4 wire connector. I wasn't looking at the wiring diagram and didn't spend enough time with the DMM.

TMK,,,, like Trent asked, do the other lights go out when the indicators stop? Or possibly do you get any pulsing of the stop and tail lights. Both indications you are correct in assuming a grounding issue.

Really don't think you have a flasher relay issue.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #1980
Boatman
Upward and onward!!

Just looked and all those grounds (earths) are joined together in a big mess covered with shrink wrap right at the end of the main wiring harness next to the battery.

Remove the 2 Torx screws holding the fuze block and the 2 8mm screws holding the relay bracket and you can lift all that stuff up to see where I'm talking.