ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 03-15-2014, 01:01 PM   #1966
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
May be try a new flasher relay, cheap enough, or start looking for chafed wire's
Checked the wiring diagram and there is only the one relay, now the front indicators are no problem at all.

I also noticed that sometime they start to flash normal then the back ones lose it, the front just flash quicker so I am thinking wiring / earth to the rear is the prob.

If the relay was pooed the front would go AWOL too?, will have a good scout around tomorrow in the daylight.

Cheers Andi
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:03 PM   #1967
GoinRidin
Adventurer
 
Joined: Feb 2012
Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Thanks!





Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
I have CJ's leather bag with a few more things in it and moved the hook/ boss over to the left side. Took the bag out for the pic.
I see your hook now near the fuse block




Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
...or this, if you carry the full kit

Thanks...what all is in the tool kit? That is huge! I have one I never used and it has been in a box with take off stuff for two years now. So thought id put it there since under the seat is empty.
GoinRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:51 PM   #1968
brents347
Trusting my Cape...
 
brents347's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2006
Location: Where the hell is Truckee, CA?
Oddometer: 3,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoinRidin View Post
Thanks!







I see your hook now near the fuse block






Thanks...what all is in the tool kit? That is huge! I have one I never used and it has been in a box with take off stuff for two years now. So thought id put it there since under the seat is empty.

Literally everything you need to do full trailside maintenance. Great little kit. It can be enhanced, but doesn't need to be.
__________________
07 Yamaha R6
07 KTM 950 Super Enduro
04 KTM 250exc- plated two-stroke

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 02:56 PM   #1969
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer
 
triplenickel's Avatar
 
Joined: Jul 2008
Location: Campbell River, BC. Fantasy Island
Oddometer: 2,430
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Literally everything you need to do full trailside maintenance. Great little kit. It can be enhanced, but doesn't need to be.

KTM did a great job with the kit for sure.
__________________
07 SE

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 03:05 PM   #1970
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer
 
bigkuri's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: London, but am a Kiwi
Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Checked the wiring diagram and there is only the one relay, now the front indicators are no problem at all.

I also noticed that sometime they start to flash normal then the back ones lose it, the front just flash quicker so I am thinking wiring / earth to the rear is the prob.

If the relay was pooed the front would go AWOL too?, will have a good scout around tomorrow in the daylight.

Cheers Andi
Someone added an earth to the rear stuff? Easy fix.. ?
__________________
Current Bikes: 2006 Honda XR650R & 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R (build thread at http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...venture-r.html )
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 04:09 PM   #1971
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Someone added an earth to the rear stuff? Easy fix.. ?
Had a scratch around today, nothing looked outa place or unusual, cleaned and crimped fittings, see if this works if not I will add earth wire prior the plug going north and take it to the subframe.
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 09:32 PM   #1972
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure
 
Monterey_BS's Avatar
 
Joined: Feb 2009
Location: Monterey County, CA
Oddometer: 254
Quote:
Originally Posted by brents347 View Post
Literally everything you need to do full trailside maintenance. Great little kit. It can be enhanced, but doesn't need to be.
I'm not in town at the moment or I'd give you the list, but I totally agree. I may have swapped out a couple of pieces, otherwise it's complete. I've even got a bottle opener. The only thing I carry additionally are a small ratchet and spoons.
__________________
Bob in Monterey
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:22 AM   #1973
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer
 
bigkuri's Avatar
 
Joined: Oct 2004
Location: London, but am a Kiwi
Oddometer: 878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Had a scratch around today, nothing looked outa place or unusual, cleaned and crimped fittings, see if this works if not I will add earth wire prior the plug going north and take it to the subframe.
Still think you should replace the relay :) They are cheap, and while I know you said the front ones flash ok, maybe it is damaged and not passing enough juice? Hate electrical problems...
__________________
Current Bikes: 2006 Honda XR650R & 2015 KTM 1190 Adventure R (build thread at http://www.ktmforum.co.uk/adventure/...venture-r.html )
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 06:54 AM   #1974
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer
 
Joined: Jun 2003
Location: Central NJ
Oddometer: 11,505
Hmmnnn, I wonder if there's any psychology involved behind why SE owners loop the rubber band right, left, or center over the tool pouch. I just checked and mine slants left.
wpbarlow is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 01:42 PM   #1975
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
Still think you should replace the relay :) They are cheap, and while I know you said the front ones flash ok, maybe it is damaged and not passing enough juice? Hate electrical problems...
Will do, where is the actual relay located, is it behind the mask?
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #1976
Boatman
Upward and onward!!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Mill Spring, NC
Oddometer: 10,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Will do, where is the actual relay located, is it behind the mask?

Yes, behind the mask.


#18 on the parts diagram for the wiring harness.

18 44611207200 FLASHER UNIT 97 $49.89



Did you check the plug that feeds the turn signals in the back. There are 2 plugs right at the seat latch in the rear,,, the one with the 4 wires is the plug for the indicators. 2 grounds,,, 2 feeds. If you unplug it the fronts will flash fast. Use a non-led test light to see if there is an issue leading to that point. If you hook up a test light, it and the front should flash normal.
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs

Boatman screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 02:55 PM
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #1977
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere
 
Two Moto Kiwis's Avatar
 
Joined: Apr 2007
Location: Wanaka, New Zealand, Currently RTWing
Oddometer: 4,075
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Yes, behind the mask.


#18 on the parts diagram for the wiring harness.

18 44611207200 FLASHER UNIT 97 $49.89



Did you check the plug that feeds the turn signals in the back. There are 2 plugs right at the seat latch in the rear,,, the one with the 4 wires is the plug for the indicators. 2 grounds,,, 2 feeds. If you unplug it the fronts will flash fast. Use a non-led test light to see if there is an issue leading to that point. If you hook up a test light, it and the front should flash normal.
Yeah pulled that 4 pin plug, gave everything a clean and scratch, everything seemed to work ok then not.

Didn't test light it but yeah when the indicators work properly everything is normal speed, then the backs will stop working and the fronts flash faster, I feel I am chasing an earthing fault but north of that 4 pin plug it disappears in a wod of wire in the wiring loom and my expertise disappears with it.

Will take the mask off tomorrow, fitting new heated grips so will tinker with the winker and see what happens.

Cheers for the help
__________________
Andi (oveja negra) & Ellen (chica amarilla)...Two Moto Kiwi Grüvers .....riding Maya somewhere ..Una Chimba
Two Moto Kiwis Home Page ..Danger Is Real ... Fear Is Optional
For More Of Two Moto Kiwis Photos
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #1978
TrentW
MMmmmm....
 
TrentW's Avatar
 
Joined: Jan 2009
Location: Wellington
Oddometer: 88
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Didn't test light it but yeah when the indicators work properly everything is normal speed, then the backs will stop working and the fronts flash faster, I feel I am chasing an earthing fault but north of that 4 pin plug it disappears in a wod of wire in the wiring loom and my expertise disappears with it.
Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like there are 2x connectors at the back - 1x for indicators + number plate light (4 wires) and 1x for brake / tail light(s) (3 wires).

They all share a common earth (Brown wire)

Do the brake / tail lights also stop working when the rear indicators stop working?
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #1979
Boatman
Upward and onward!!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Mill Spring, NC
Oddometer: 10,527
Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post
Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like there are 2x connectors at the back - 1x for indicators + number plate light (4 wires) and 1x for brake / tail light(s) (3 wires).

They all share a common earth (Brown wire)

Do the brake / tail lights also stop working when the rear indicators stop working?

Yes you are correct about the 4 wire connector. I wasn't looking at the wiring diagram and didn't spend enough time with the DMM.

TMK,,,, like Trent asked, do the other lights go out when the indicators stop? Or possibly do you get any pulsing of the stop and tail lights. Both indications you are correct in assuming a grounding issue.

Really don't think you have a flasher relay issue.
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #1980
Boatman
Upward and onward!!
 
Boatman's Avatar
 
Joined: Mar 2005
Location: Petersburg, NY and Mill Spring, NC
Oddometer: 10,527
Just looked and all those grounds (earths) are joined together in a big mess covered with shrink wrap right at the end of the main wiring harness next to the battery.

Remove the 2 Torx screws holding the fuze block and the 2 8mm screws holding the relay bracket and you can lift all that stuff up to see where I'm talking.
__________________
08 KTM 950 SE, 09 KTM 950 SE, 04 KTM 950 ADV, 10 Husaberg FE390, 66 Kawasaki B8S Super 150

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Share

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

.
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On

Forum Jump


Times are GMT -7.   It's 02:37 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ADVrider 2011-2015