Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-09-2014, 12:52 AM   #1996
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
I've got a small problem that's stumping me. Bike is stumbling at high speed 75+ mph and ultimately dies. Pull to the side, restart, repeat. If I don't whack it or run at a reasonable pace, it goes all day. Running a Motohooligan intake with reworked jetting from H2W - 45 low, 65 idle, 178f/180r main, IMS @ 2.5, 3.0+mm float. It's a bit rich at sea level, but fine at altitude.
One thing rather strange did occur during the clean and re-jet. There were no lower washers on the slide needles. I thought this strange, but there were no operational issues before this change, so I just reassembled and moved on. With all the other changes, could this be the source of my current issues?
Needles at?
Ambient temperature?
If I got it right, if you open the thottle slowly it is fine up to 100% throttle, but it dies on hard acceleration, correct?
Also, I beileve you meant LEAN @ sea level, fine at altitude. Is there any case your problem appeared with dropped outside temperatures?
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:09 PM   #1997
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 184
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwalters View Post
Hmm... If it was just a jetting problem, I can't believe the bike would actually die. Your idle circuit seems right on so the bike should idle. To be clear, you're saying your bike stumbles at high speed and then your rpm goes to ZERO and you have to restart?

Sounds fuel related to me. Any kinked vent lines? Have you tried running with the gas cap open as a starting point?
Not a problem with the tank. I swapped from the stock to the Safari, checked all the lines, filter is showing flow, and pump vacuum lines have no kinks. I popped the gas cap and the symptoms persist.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:15 PM   #1998
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Oddometer: 717
Quote:
Not a problem with the tank. I swapped from the stock to the Safari, checked all the lines, filter is showing flow, and pump vacuum lines have no kinks. I popped the gas cap and the symptoms persist.
Which fuel pump? stock, vacuum, facet? Sounds like it running it self out of fuel. Low float level maybe.
dogsslober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2014, 05:18 PM   #1999
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Needles at?
Ambient temperature?
If I got it right, if you open the thottle slowly it is fine up to 100% throttle, but it dies on hard acceleration, correct?
Also, I beileve you meant LEAN @ sea level, fine at altitude. Is there any case your problem appeared with dropped outside temperatures?
1) Third position. I can't help but think that it has something to do with no thin shim washers under the needles; but as I said, it ran fine before w/o them. I'm in search of those now.
2) 50 to 70degF. That's kind of the way it is here on the Central Coast.
3) Yeah, sorry about that. Lean, but not overly so.
Old 03-09-2014, 05:30 PM   #2000
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
Which fuel pump? stock, vacuum, facet? Sounds like it running it self out of fuel. Low float level maybe.
I'm running a vacuum pump and had similar thoughts. It does react similar to running dry. Next is to check with a Facet I've got lying around. It could be that, even though the vacuum line looks OK, it may not be pulling sufficiently. After that, it's the floats, although they were set just North of 3mm when I did the rebuild.
Old 03-09-2014, 06:51 PM   #2001
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Quote:
I'm running a vacuum pump and had similar thoughts. It does react similar to running dry. Next is to check with a Facet I've got lying around. It could be that, even though the vacuum line looks OK, it may not be pulling sufficiently. After that, it's the floats, although they were set just North of 3mm when I did the rebuild.
I've read that you need to drill out the barb to the manifold for the vacuum source and some have put larger inlet and outlet on the pump it self. I ran one for a while and worked well except under very high loads.
Old 03-09-2014, 07:07 PM   #2002
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
I've read that you need to drill out the barb to the manifold for the vacuum source and some have put larger inlet and outlet on the pump it self. I ran one for a while and worked well except under very high loads.

That's a great thought! I don't remember whether the barb orifice is restricted, but will check that out when I get home from work.
Old 03-10-2014, 02:49 PM   #2003
cmreimer
Adventurer

Oddometer: 13
950SE misfiring

Quote:
That's a great thought! I don't remember whether the barb orifice is restricted, but will check that out when I get home from work.
I had a similar problem with my SE last year. I thought it was bad gas, plugged carb, clogged filter, etc... After checking all the above and getting the same problem (intermittent backfiring, coughing at higher speeds and RPM's) I was stumped. I took it to a small shop specializing in KTM twins and he was initially puzzled too. Finally, it was solved! There is an electrical connection behind the headlight that was starting to corrode. Connection was cleaned and greased, problem solved! Hard to believe with a carbed bike, but that was the culprit.

'09 950 SE
'12 500 EXC
'13 690 Enduro
cmreimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2014, 03:26 PM   #2004
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmreimer View Post
I had a similar problem with my SE last year. I thought it was bad gas, plugged carb, clogged filter, etc... After checking all the above and getting the same problem (intermittent backfiring, coughing at higher speeds and RPM's) I was stumped. I took it to a small shop specializing in KTM twins and he was initially puzzled too. Finally, it was solved! There is an electrical connection behind the headlight that was starting to corrode. Connection was cleaned and greased, problem solved! Hard to believe with a carbed bike, but that was the culprit.

Pretty funny, but as I'm going over all the possibilities I was reminded of an old mechanic's saw, "90% of all fueling problems are electrical." Thanks for the suggesting that the source of the problem may be an opportunity to disentangle the spaghetti behind the light. I definitely fear that may be in the offing. However, after checking which vacuum port nipple I'd installed, and discovering it's got a restricted orifice, I'll try that swap first. It won't take long to discover whether that's the culprit. In any case that's a fix which needs to be done, regardless.
Old 03-13-2014, 01:20 PM   #2005
1derer
Sh*t Where am I?

Oddometer: 189
FYI 7.9G tank for sale.

I have a safari tank for sale if anyone is interested.
http://advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=961402
1derer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:27 PM   #2006
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,396
Crimping the earth wires on each rear indicator light didn't work, must be something forward of that, any suggestion to finding this gremlin

Thanks gents
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 01:46 PM   #2007
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

May be try a new flasher relay, cheap enough, or start looking for chafed wire's
Old 03-14-2014, 03:57 PM   #2008
GoinRidin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Can someone please post a pick of the compartment under the seat? I need to see how everything is arranged/organized
GoinRidin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2014, 04:33 PM   #2009
dogsslober
No neck tie, Ti neck

Old 03-14-2014, 09:59 PM   #2010
GoinRidin
Adventurer

Oddometer: 49
Quote:
Thats how mine looks... I was curious how the rubber strap holds the tool kit in place?
GoinRidin is offline   Reply With Quote