Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 03-17-2014, 02:31 PM   #2026
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Oddometer: 10,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Two Moto Kiwis View Post
Will do, where is the actual relay located, is it behind the mask?

Yes, behind the mask.

#18 on the parts diagram for the wiring harness.

18 44611207200 FLASHER UNIT 97 $49.89

Did you check the plug that feeds the turn signals in the back. There are 2 plugs right at the seat latch in the rear,,, the one with the 4 wires is the plug for the indicators. 2 grounds,,, 2 feeds. If you unplug it the fronts will flash fast. Use a non-led test light to see if there is an issue leading to that point. If you hook up a test light, it and the front should flash normal.

Hi/low beam conversions for: Trail Tech, Baja Designs

Boatman screwed with this post 03-17-2014 at 02:55 PM
Boatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 04:42 PM   #2027
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Oddometer: 3,592
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatman View Post
Yes, behind the mask.

#18 on the parts diagram for the wiring harness.

18 44611207200 FLASHER UNIT 97 $49.89

Did you check the plug that feeds the turn signals in the back. There are 2 plugs right at the seat latch in the rear,,, the one with the 4 wires is the plug for the indicators. 2 grounds,,, 2 feeds. If you unplug it the fronts will flash fast. Use a non-led test light to see if there is an issue leading to that point. If you hook up a test light, it and the front should flash normal.
Yeah pulled that 4 pin plug, gave everything a clean and scratch, everything seemed to work ok then not.

Didn't test light it but yeah when the indicators work properly everything is normal speed, then the backs will stop working and the fronts flash faster, I feel I am chasing an earthing fault but north of that 4 pin plug it disappears in a wod of wire in the wiring loom and my expertise disappears with it.

Will take the mask off tomorrow, fitting new heated grips so will tinker with the winker and see what happens.

Cheers for the help
....Where The Hell Are We .. Spot Us
Two Moto Kiwis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 09:18 PM   #2028
TrentW
MMmmmm....

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Didn't test light it but yeah when the indicators work properly everything is normal speed, then the backs will stop working and the fronts flash faster, I feel I am chasing an earthing fault but north of that 4 pin plug it disappears in a wod of wire in the wiring loom and my expertise disappears with it.
Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like there are 2x connectors at the back - 1x for indicators + number plate light (4 wires) and 1x for brake / tail light(s) (3 wires).

They all share a common earth (Brown wire)

Do the brake / tail lights also stop working when the rear indicators stop working?
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2014, 08:31 AM   #2029
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post
Looking at the wiring diagram, it looks like there are 2x connectors at the back - 1x for indicators + number plate light (4 wires) and 1x for brake / tail light(s) (3 wires).

They all share a common earth (Brown wire)

Do the brake / tail lights also stop working when the rear indicators stop working?

Yes you are correct about the 4 wire connector. I wasn't looking at the wiring diagram and didn't spend enough time with the DMM.

TMK,,,, like Trent asked, do the other lights go out when the indicators stop? Or possibly do you get any pulsing of the stop and tail lights. Both indications you are correct in assuming a grounding issue.

Really don't think you have a flasher relay issue.

Old 03-18-2014, 08:42 AM   #2030
Boatman
Take me down bitch!

Just looked and all those grounds (earths) are joined together in a big mess covered with shrink wrap right at the end of the main wiring harness next to the battery.

Remove the 2 Torx screws holding the fuze block and the 2 8mm screws holding the relay bracket and you can lift all that stuff up to see where I'm talking.

Old 03-18-2014, 09:02 AM   #2031
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrentW View Post

Yeap already checked that, no, brake/tail lights fine ,(no blinking).

Quote:

TMK,,,, like Trent asked, do the other lights go out when the indicators stop? Or possibly do you get any pulsing of the stop and tail lights. Both indications you are correct in assuming a grounding issue.

Really don't think you have a flasher relay issue.
I don't think it is a flasher unit either, $50 buck is US will mean $100 in Chile so keener not to buy one if I don't need to.

Points to earthing problem according to my limited electrical knowledge

Quote:
Just looked and all those grounds (earths) are joined together in a big mess covered with shrink wrap right at the end of the main wiring harness next to the battery.

Remove the 2 Torx screws holding the fuze block and the 2 8mm screws holding the relay bracket and you can lift all that stuff up to see where I'm talking.
I lifted the fuse box yesterday and saw where it all went, will lift the relay rack this avo to see if anything looks outa place.

Everything is working now, will see what happens in a coupla days when we leave, in a funny sort of way to be heat or time related.

I say this cos every time we set off they always work but as the day progresses the seem to knock off and do their own thing, the fronts however no issue.

Getting closer I feel ...thanks gents
Old 03-18-2014, 01:23 PM   #2032
TrentW
MMmmmm....

Oddometer: 86
Quote:
Yeap already checked that, no, brake/tail lights fine ,(no blinking).
Hmmm... the wiring diagram shows that the earth for the tail light splits off from the earth wire just before the 4 pin connector - you may have a fault with the earth wire / connection in the 4 pin connector...

How about the number plate light? It uses the same earth (from the 4 pin connector) as the indicators - Does that still work when the indicators stop?

Sounds like you need a multimeter (you should be able to pick up a cheap one) to check the earth and power connections when the indicators fail.

When they stop working, use the ohms setting on the MM and place the probes on the earth wire of the indicator and the -ve of the battery. If it's OK, you should get close to a zero reading (eg 0.1 ohms)

Then use the DC Volts setting of the MM to check if power is getting to the power wire of the indicators (use the probes between the power wire and the -ve of the battery)
You should see the reading jump up / down from 0V to 12V as the front indicators flash.
TrentW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:13 PM   #2033
Jarno
Adventurer

Oddometer: 21
Can anybody tell me if this fuel pump is stock or not? I have a receipt saying it's a Pierburg fuel pump, there is however no engraving or marking on the pump saying what brand or type it is.

With all the problems the factory pump seems to have I want to go for a alternative solution like a Dr. bean kit, vacuum pump or something.

Regards,
Jarno

600SS, GPZ500, Z750S, ADV990, ADV640, 950SUPERENDURO
Jarno is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 02:33 PM   #2034
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarno View Post
Can anybody tell me if this fuel pump is stock or not? I have a receipt saying it's a Pierburg fuel pump, there is however no engraving or marking on the pump saying what brand or type it is.

With all the problems the factory pump seems to have I want to go for a alternative solution like a Dr. bean kit, vacuum pump or something.

Regards,
Jarno

Not stock!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:37 PM   #2035
bigkuri
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 710
Quote:
Yeah pulled that 4 pin plug, gave everything a clean and scratch, everything seemed to work ok then not.

Will take the mask off tomorrow, fitting new heated grips so will tinker with the winker and see what happens.

Cheers for the help
I really don't want to put you wrong here, but I still really think it is your relay. They are not $50, but $5 on UK eBay, see "TL111" is the bit you need to search on.
Cleaning the pins won't achieve anything, if faulty you need a new one...
bigkuri is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2014, 03:56 PM   #2036
Two Moto Kiwis
Homeless Somewhere

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigkuri View Post
I really don't want to put you wrong here, but I still really think it is your relay. They are not $50, but $5 on UK eBay, see "TL111" is the bit you need to search on.
Cleaning the pins won't achieve anything, if faulty you need a new one...
Gonna try one in Santiago, heading there tomorrow, will keep you posted on what wins.
Old 03-20-2014, 04:07 PM   #2037
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 208
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jarno View Post

It's not stock. I got 12K out of the first set of points and then soldered in a new set from K&L. I did pick up a vacuum pump kit from Rally Raid some time ago and am very happy. It works like a charm. Alternate Cycle in Kamloops, BC, also has a great kit.

I did screw up during a recent remove and re-install by picking up a restricted vacuum port nipple, instead of the correctly drilled out one. I like the mechanical option and the fact that I don't have to deal with the hoses during tank removal.

BTW, thanks to JWalters, DRJens, mousitsas, cmreimer, and finally the winner - Dogslobber (who probably lives ~40mi from me, virtually in the neighborhood) for all the advice. It's a great crew checking in here. My arsenal of SE fueling issue solutions is now much more robust.

Monterey_BS screwed with this post 03-20-2014 at 09:25 PM
Monterey_BS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2014, 03:15 PM   #2038
SE Steve
Super Noob

Oddometer: 212
Low fuel light

My low fuel light isn't working changed the sensor still not working anyone else have this problem ?
SE Steve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:14 PM   #2039
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Bulb?
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2014, 10:35 PM   #2040
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,018
Quote:
Originally Posted by SE Steve View Post
My low fuel light isn't working changed the sensor still not working anyone else have this problem ?
I do, found out the hard way. I'm told that the light is on the same circuit as the brake light, which in my case seems accurate because I have no functional brake light. I have been searching for the culprit for a while now, so far no luck.

Do your brake lights function correctly? A no answer should point you towards the source of the issue, hopefully.Good luck
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote