ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 04-11-2014, 09:33 AM   #2041
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 369
Yea lol tire questions are crazy.

The most popular is probably what Monterey said, D606 front and 908RR rear.
I had the TK80's they were ok, probably better on the street.

I have yet to find a front tire I like. I really hate my D606 front especially on hardpack offroad its skeeeeetchy, softer stuff its fine. maybe its just the bike.

Im going to get a tractionator on the rear soon.

The good news is you can try them all because the bike eats tires for lunch.
Old 04-11-2014, 09:39 AM   #2042
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Oddometer: 243
Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
Yea lol tire questions are crazy.

The most popular is probably what Monterey said, D606 front and 908RR rear.
I had the TK80's they were ok, probably better on the street.

I have yet to find a front tire I like. I really hate my D606 front especially on hardpack offroad its skeeeeetchy, softer stuff its fine. maybe its just the bike.

Im going to get a tractionator on the rear soon.

The good news is you can try them all because the bike eats tires for lunch.
Same for me on the front, until I got the suspenders sorted.
I'll be curious to here how the MotoZ works out and Amen on the tire shredding aspect of the bike.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:34 AM   #2043
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Does anyone make a MX style aftermarket seat for the SE?

The previous owner shaved my seat down, its always bugged me/crammed me up. ( I'm 6'6" flat foot both sides with bent knees. ).

I don't want any wide butt seat i want a taller maybe softer MX style seat. Every thing i have seen has that bulbous taper towards the back. A guy here had a perfect one on his 950 Adv, but i cant remember who made it an i think it was a custom one off.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:45 AM   #2044
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:

The previous owner shaved my seat down, its always bugged me/crammed me up. ( I'm 6'6" flat foot both sides with bent knees. ).

I don't want any wide butt seat i want a taller maybe softer MX style seat. Every thing i have seen has that bulbous taper towards the back. A guy here had a perfect one on his 950 Adv, but i cant remember who made it an i think it was a custom one off.
I'm only 6-1, so am somewhat envious of your dilemma. Have you tried Seat Concepts or given James Renazco a call? The former is generally pretty reasonable in cost. The latter is truly custom. I ride the stock seat now and am fine with it. I had a Renazco, but it was too tall for me. Another thing to consider is lower footpegs. BlackDog has platform pegs that are 1/2" lower. I've a set on my 690ER and they work well.
Old 04-11-2014, 10:53 AM   #2045
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Actually the stock would probably be fine, mine is lower that stock because its was shaved down.

I generally don't like tall seats on my bikes. Mostly just looking for the MX shape without the wide ass i see in most aftermarket seats... if it ends up being taller it wont bother me.

I'll check those out you mentioned thank you.

I have fastway lowboys on my 250xc.. they lower it 1/2 or 1/4" i forgot.. but I couldn't tell any difference exept it made the brake even more impossible to adjust down far enough, to be not riding it all the time on accident. They do have sweet grip though.

Edit: just looked Renazco, looks like I should have them make me one however i want it.

KTM450SX screwed with this post 04-11-2014 at 11:02 AM
KTM450SX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 12:03 AM   #2046
Hodgo
TWIN Cylinder ADV

Oddometer: 1,589
Try Saddleman I highly recommend them

Quote:

www.facebook.com/KTM950SE
Retired.. CR500E & lots more
Hodgo is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 02:02 AM   #2047
DavidKXF
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 135
Quote:
Originally Posted by Monterey_BS View Post
I'm only 6-1, so am somewhat envious of your dilemma. Have you tried Seat Concepts or given James Renazco a call? The former is generally pretty reasonable in cost. The latter is truly custom. I ride the stock seat now and am fine with it. I had a Renazco, but it was too tall for me. Another thing to consider is lower footpegs. BlackDog has platform pegs that are 1/2" lower. I've a set on my 690ER and they work well.
I am envious of your height I am only 5,9" however I have have never felt the need to shave my seat or lower my bike even though I can't touch the ground even on tip toes when the bike is fully upright.
DavidKXF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #2048
foroffroaduseonly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
I picked up an 07 recently and i was out on it today. This thing is a blast! Although when I do a wheelie it runs fine until i set it down then it sputters and almost stalls, takes maybe 5-10sec to clear back up. Now I'm sure that this is covered in some other thread but my searching didn't come up with anything useful. feel free to point me in the direction if this is the wrong place for this question.
foroffroaduseonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:34 PM   #2049
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 342
Float height
Old 04-13-2014, 08:26 AM   #2050
foroffroaduseonly
Adventurer

Oddometer: 82
Thanks I'll give that a try

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2
foroffroaduseonly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 12:34 PM   #2051
unaweep
Uses lotsa band-aids

Oddometer: 20,040
Quote:
nice. thanks

I like the look without the metal grab bars on the back but I use those a ll the time to drag the beast around.. I want to take them off but i use them all the time. how do you lift the back end up and push it around if you fall?
I had one of those grab bars pierce the skin of my leg in a wreck. Took em off right after that. I use luggage racks to lift the bike. Added bonus is they protect the bike in a crash.
unaweep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:19 PM   #2052
ct_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Safari tank = bike running hotter?

I recently installed a safari tank and have noticed my bike runs hotter after the installation. I think the problem could be that the tank doesn't fit all that closely around the radiator, there is a gap on either side between the radiator and tank. Have you guys noticed your bikes running hotter with Safari tanks?

I am thinking of trying to block off the gap on either side of the radiator - any suggestions on what to use?

Also the tank was advertised as 7.9 gallons but mine seems to be closer to 7 gallons, is this normal?
ct_rider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2014, 02:45 PM   #2053
JRod152
will work for tires

Oddometer: 342
Mine ran "hotter" as well when I had the Safari. I feel it's the mass of the Exxon Valdez that doesn't allow the air flow above & below like the stock tank. The tank seems to trap the air from the radiator / 2 fans and absorb it rather than let it exhaust out the bottom & sides.

I never tried any reflective material... not sure what would stick, as the tank permeates fuel vapors. Let me know if you have a solution for this. I'd like to find one. Some say SEAL-ALL will work, but it didn't work for my tank guards, so not sure it would adhere foil or a glass reflective matt.

This was even more evident for me when running at altitude... I boiled fuel in the fuel lines quite a few times and had to sit w/ the gas cap off, jacket shading the bike, before my fuel pump had more than vapor to pump.

Ride faster, I say!!! That's always the best solution, eh!. I doubt your hot condition is due to airflow "leaking" from around the radiator. I think shielding the fuel line from the radiator air & header heat would be a great help too, just haven't done it.

-Is your radiator guard / radiator free of mud, bugs, & debris?
-Have you flushed your cooling system? Your WP seal / shaft will love you for it... it's amazing the casting sand and crap you flush out the first time or 2.
-Check your radiator cap. Take it apart. I was amazed at the hardened crap in mine that collected over time. It was gross. This can cause issues for the already restrictive thermostat too.
-Is your cooling system properly "burped" & free of any air pockets?
-Has the front fender been changed to one that doesn't have the holes or louvers in it?

As for the less than 7.9 capacity... most guys have the opposite happen with "growing" tanks. Not sure why that would be the case for you.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:41 PM   #2054
Monterey_BS
On or Off - not sure

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_rider View Post
I recently installed a safari tank and have noticed my bike runs hotter after the installation. I think the problem could be that the tank doesn't fit all that closely around the radiator, there is a gap on either side between the radiator and tank. Have you guys noticed your bikes running hotter with Safari tanks?

I am thinking of trying to block off the gap on either side of the radiator - any suggestions on what to use?

Also the tank was advertised as 7.9 gallons but mine seems to be closer to 7 gallons, is this normal?
Mine fills very close to spec and I've never noticed any heat differential. I use Engine Ice. I've run it winter and summer from NM to AK in the mountains and at sea level - four bars occasionally drifting to five in slow going. I've never measured the gap between the tank and the radiator, but I'm pretty sure it's close between the two tanks. I'm thinking that it's got something to do with what's in the radiator. Maybe it just needs a burp or two.
I thought about lining the tank, just because, but never did. I was also concerned that it would just peel off because the tanks breathe.
Old 04-14-2014, 04:52 PM   #2055
ct_rider
Adventurer

Oddometer: 77
Thanks for the advice. I haven't had any issues in the past with the bike running hot before adding the tank. It isn't overheating but runs 4+ bars all the time. The fan runs more too. The ambient temps haven't gotten all that warm yet - mid 70's here in SC. I hate to think how hot the bike will get in the summer. I will check the coolant level, cap, and radiator blockage. The reservoir has coolant in it.

I wasn't thinking of lining the tank, simply blocking off the gap between the tank and radiator. Air going around the outside of the radiator doesn't do much good for cooling.

Maybe with some more use the tank will swell and hold more fuel and close up the gap? This has not been my experience with other oversized tanks in the past.
ct_rider is offline   Reply With Quote