ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-18-2011, 10:25 PM   #496
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 367
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Does ironman make sprockets for the SE? Loved them on my xr650r.
Yes. 42, 45, 47

http://www.dirttricks.com/ordering_sprockets.htm
Old 05-18-2011, 11:57 PM   #497
LanceSA
Adventurer

Oddometer: 80
seat height

Forgive me please. I have done a search on this thread but came up blank.
I love my se but i am short 5'7" at best. I have pushed the front forks thru the clamps by 15mm and slightly softened the rear suspension - wound out the spring 2 turns. Other than that I have cut out 1" (25mm) from the seat. Still I am on tippy toes. While I am ok once on the move turning aound on a trail is an issue for me.
Is there anyway to lower the bike while maintaining the syspension charateristics that are so good?
Many thanks
Lance
.................................................. .........
Never argue, never justify, never defend
LanceSA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 04:03 AM   #498
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,772
Quote:
Originally Posted by LanceSA View Post
Forgive me please. I have done a search on this thread but came up blank.
I love my se but i am short 5'7" at best. I have pushed the front forks thru the clamps by 15mm and slightly softened the rear suspension - wound out the spring 2 turns. Other than that I have cut out 1" (25mm) from the seat. Still I am on tippy toes. While I am ok once on the move turning aound on a trail is an issue for me.
Is there anyway to lower the bike while maintaining the syspension charateristics that are so good?
Many thanks
Lance
If you lace a 17 rear rim instead of the 18, you will gain another inch or half, depending on rim size and tyre profile. You would then drop the forks even further to compensate. If you are interested, I can take measurements of several wheels I have in the garage, with different tyres fitted, so you can get an idea.
mousitsas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 05:14 AM   #499
LanceSA
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
If you lace a 17 rear rim instead of the 18, you will gain another inch or half, depending on rim size and tyre profile. You would then drop the forks even further to compensate. If you are interested, I can take measurements of several wheels I have in the garage, with different tyres fitted, so you can get an idea.
I would be so greatful for that. Thank you!
Old 05-19-2011, 09:22 AM   #500
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
I would be so greatful for that. Thank you!
Righty then. Measurements are not terribly accurate but good enough to give a ballpark estimate. Not all tyres are in the same condition etc

rim size tyre size wheel diameter (cm)
18/2.5 scorpion 140/80 66
17/2.5 tourance 140/80 62.5
17/2.5 trail wing 130/80 60.5 (very low profile tyre for the size!)
17/5.0 anakeeII 150/70 63

Assuming you are going from case (I) to case (III) you are loosing roughly a further inch of rear height.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:08 AM   #501
LanceSA
Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
Righty then. Measurements are not terribly accurate but good enough to give a ballpark estimate. Not all tyres are in the same condition etc

rim size tyre size wheel diameter (cm)
18/2.5 scorpion 140/80 66
17/2.5 tourance 140/80 62.5
17/2.5 trail wing 130/80 60.5 (very low profile tyre for the size!)
17/5.0 anakeeII 150/70 63

Assuming you are going from case (I) to case (III) you are loosing roughly a further inch of rear height.
1 inches = 2.54 centimeters
so 1 to 2 is 3.5cm which is almost 1.5 inches. but see below.
That would make quite a difference to me!

I'm currently running the new Heidendau k60 150/70 18" which i like a lot. Measures about 67 cm across.

Having thought about this, would the reduction in wheel size be halved in actual seat height reduction? Thus in the example above the seat would be lowered by 1.75cm - not sure if that is worth it?
Old 05-19-2011, 11:27 AM   #502
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,816
To the collective...

Alrighty...

So, my schedule finally allowed enough time to start hunting for my coolant leak (leaks?). I shoulda' posted this pic before I wiped the radiator with a damp towel. But here goes...

Before I wiped the radiator, I couldn't exactly tell where the source of the leak(s) was.

The coolant was collecting in the yellow arrow(s) areas, and on the fuel lines (T area).

I checked the sensor nut (red arrow), and found it to be plenty tight (or as they say in Austria, "guedentite").

The radiator hose (blue arrow) was mounted kinda' cattywonkus, but appeared to have a seal. What is up with the crappy hose clamps? I have read other inmates posts about them...and can, now, see what they were referring to.

So, my question is...

If the radiator hose mating (blue arrow), to the radiator, was not 100%, would the pressure of the system be enough to push coolant out?

I am thinking that this area is the source of my leak.

Thanks in advance.

J.J.

Oh yeah, the green area is a huge dent in my radiator...that I sure as hell didn't put there.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 11:30 AM   #503
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
1 inches = 2.54 centimeters
so 1 to 2 is 3.5cm which is almost 1.5 inches. but see below.
That would make quite a difference to me!

I'm currently running the new Heidendau k60 150/70 18" which i like a lot. Measures about 67 cm across.

Having thought about this, would the reduction in wheel size be halved in actual seat height reduction? Thus in the example above the seat would be lowered by 1.75cm - not sure if that is worth it?
Indeed, you have to halve the measurements to arrive to difference in seat height. But as I said, the option III looses an inch of height (two inches in diameter). If I went for a 17 rear, I would choose a 3" or 3.5" width for better street performance.
I think that loosing an inch of height is a lot. I am 6'1 and with my 17/19 wheels the bike is much more manageable.
Old 05-19-2011, 11:54 AM   #504
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
"Cattywonkus" is the correct orientation for the clamp. That hose comes out at an angle toward the seat and not straight out...
That's a technical term that I learned, when I was training in Austria...working on Coma's skateboard.

Quote:
...My slight adjustment of the clamp resulted in instant leakage with engine off, so I made mental note that this was a something to keep an eye on...
This was kinda' my experience, too. When I started screwing with the clamp, I saw a little coolant seepage, also.

Plus, the hose was not seated, flush, with the surface of the radiator. I am pretty sure that it has nothing to do with the seal. But, my obsessive-compulsive, "Monk" alter-ego would just prefer that the hose be nicely mated.

Quote:
...but perhaps replacing the clamp with a proper screw-coil type will make sure it can't. I should have done so while I was swapping tanks...
Yeah...that is a given. I'm about to leave for the auto parts store, right now, to get a coupla' screw-type hose clamps.

Thanks SFKLR.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 05-19-2011, 02:51 PM   #505
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,051
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
That's a technical term that I learned, when I was training in Austria...working on Coma's skateboard.

Being from fine East Texas stock myself, I can assure you that the term is actually caddywompus..........Not to be confused with Whopperjawed, btw.
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 03:36 PM   #506
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
Being from fine East Texas stock myself, I can assure you that the term is actually caddywompus..........Not to be confused with Whopperjawed, btw.

^This is hilarious!

When I was typing it, I was like, "Is it cattywonkus?...caddywonkus?...caddywompus?...catty wompus?...Ahh, hell...I don't know!"

What the hell do I know?...I'm from South Texas.

Alright pfd, spill it!...East Texas?

Katy?...Spring?...Kountze?...Beaumont?...Palestine ?...Conroe?...Gilmer?...

Old 05-19-2011, 04:37 PM   #507
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
^This is hilarious!

When I was typing it, I was like, "Is it cattywonkus?...caddywonkus?...caddywompus?...catty wompus?...Ahh, hell...I don't know!"

What the hell do I know?...I'm from South Texas.

Alright pfd, spill it!...East Texas?

Katy?...Spring?...Kountze?...Beaumont?...Palestine ?...Conroe?...Gilmer?...

My blood is from the Pride Of Mount Vernon!!
Old 05-19-2011, 05:06 PM   #508
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Quote:
Whopperjawed? Is that one of these?
No.

You see its kind of like FUBAR. Or maybe even like crooked, can be used either way.
To clarify, allow me to use it in a sentence.

Damn Billy Bob, that poor ole raddler looks plum whopperjawed after you squarshed em!!
(see pic below)
http://

Hope this cleared it up for you!!

pfdskipper screwed with this post 05-19-2011 at 08:47 PM
Old 05-19-2011, 09:26 PM   #509
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Tomorrow, I am gonna' try to get the front tire as close to vertical as I can. I lost about 1/4 to 1/2 liter of fluid (VERY MUCH a guesstimate) when I removed the hose, from the radiator, today (to replace the hose clamp).

So...anyway...can anybody think of any reason why I would have to remove the bleeder screw on the water pump? All the fluid loss was north of that.

My intention was to fill the radiator, get the front tire up, loosen the bleeder screw (radiator only), and give the system one last top-off.

I will be doing the "cold" burping, as I can get to neither the radiator cap, nor the radiator bleeding screw, with the Safari on. And, I'll be damned if I'm disconnecting all that shit, again.

Does anyone see any other issue(s)?...

Thanks to all.

Old 05-23-2011, 07:38 PM   #510
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,947
Anybody ???

Links & Pics of Aftermarket Non-Locking Gas Cap for 950 Super Enduro Stock Tank

I've seen the Knurled Stem that replaces the Key Lock Cylinder.
Brown Dog is online now   Reply With Quote