Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 05-15-2011, 07:36 PM   #496
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
Originally Posted by mousitsas View Post
SE tankslaping has been discussed a lot, to no end!
I think going stiffer on the front will only make it worse.
Just an FYI: Mine has never tank slapped regardless of which tank was on it and whether full or low fuel. I've run TKC-80s, Metzeler Karoos and Karoo-Ts.
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 01:53 AM   #497
mousitsas
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,668
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogsslober View Post
I run 2.5" to 3" of rider on bike sag (12kg spring, stock fork springs) I'm 190 with out gear. I think Javier is spot on with his recomended rates. I want to go with the 64. and a progresive rear spring (feels a little under sprung sence adding the safari) With the stock rear spring I was getting the head shake, helped to just back the preload ring all the way off so there is no pressure on the stiff ass stock spring
I think that tank slapping is more of a front end issue than a back one. By reducing the rear preload you increase rake and trail, so geometry becomes more stable. Same thing happens when on the gas. A softer rear spring squats more under power. I believe that TS on the SE happens due to too stiff fast compression and rebound character of the forks, which is not adjustable by the clickers. The adv models are way heavier on the front end and TS less, despite having way softer springs in the forks. At the end of the day, many different combinations of rear suspension setting in relation to front suspension setting can solve the problem, but the one addressing the main issue is the better one.
Whether stronger front springs are needed or not, depends on the difference between the static sag and the rider sag. That being too small means softer springs are needed and vice versa. Bottoming out is controlled by compression dampening and air gap. Stiffness of springs is secondary. The SE has crazy small air-gap stock. Never used more than 18cm of compression up front out of the 25cm available, even when braking as hard as I can on very grippy asphalt.
I don't know where I am getting at, but I think that the last thing the SE needs is stiffer front springs! If you remove and hold a fork leg and try to compress and extend it fast, you will understand what I mean!
mousitsas is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2011, 05:30 AM   #498
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,323
What should the charging system on the 950 SE be putting out? I'm having a battery / charging system issue with my redheaded mistress and I don't want to drop in a new battery (old one is 2 years old so likley required) without making sure the system is charging properly
Thanks
Old 05-16-2011, 11:55 AM   #499
jm65
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 166
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Before the fuel pump then?

Oh wait--I see your arrow now. After the quick disconnect it looks like.
yo

just some pictures for see my easy instalation

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Old 05-16-2011, 02:43 PM   #500
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,010
Ah, pre-pump, post-T! Very nice. I shall do the same! Thanks
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 PM   #501
wpbarlow
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 9,999
side luggage racks

I've been using the KTM side luggage racks on the SE and switching with the SM depending on which bike I take on a trip. I use an old set of Wofman bags on the SE and the KTM bags on the SM.

I'm thinking of getting a separate rack set for the SE, and am considering getting the ones from Happy Trails:
http://www.happy-trail.com/KTM950-Su...er-Enduro.aspx

I'm wondering if anyone uses these and have anything (+ or -) to say about them, or what other SE rack options there are.

thanks,
wpbarlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 04:38 PM   #502
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,323
Quote:
Originally Posted by wpbarlow View Post
I've been using the KTM side luggage racks on the SE and switching with the SM depending on which bike I take on a trip. I use an old set of Wofman bags on the SE and the KTM bags on the SM.

I'm thinking of getting a separate rack set for the SE, and am considering getting the ones from Happy Trails:

I'm wondering if anyone uses these and have anything (+ or -) to say about them, or what other SE rack options there are.

thanks,
I've got a set of the SW motech quick release racks for my SE. I've used this set up (same model) on my KLR and my last Strom. Love them for the quick on and off and minor parts left on the bike when the racks aren't in use.
http://www.adventuremotorcycleparts....uggagesupports
Old 05-17-2011, 08:55 PM   #503
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:

thanks,
Try these:

http://globetrottin.com/

I have thousands of hard miles on mine.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-17-2011, 10:59 PM   #504
DangerMoney
Loud Helmets Save Lives

Oddometer: 1,413
Quote:
... what other SE rack options there are.

I'm using the Turbo City Denali rack.

Take a look at this thread too: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=444679
DangerMoney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 06:38 AM   #505
HickOnACrick
Groovinator

Oddometer: 2,496
Quote:
Originally Posted by DangerMoney View Post
Respectfully, I must disagree with the Denali rack recommendation. I had one once, and thought it was absolute crap. The design forces weight to the subframe, and the material from which it is made will not stand up to any sort of abuse.

One thing that hasn't been mentioned, is that with the SE, a rack isn't even needed. Just get a Giant Loop, and it will attach to the grab bars and passenger pegs that come stock with the bike. The price of the GL seems high, but if you compare that to what you will spend in a rack plus luggage, the price is probably the same. Another great thing about the GL is that it can be swapped between bikes without the need for a special and expensive rack system for each bike. One GL will literally fit any bike.
Utarded in Baja
Circumcising Utah

HickOnACrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 07:36 AM   #506
SFKLR
Noob. Again.

Oddometer: 1,010
I'm in the market for racks too, but everything I see is designed so far back & up so high. The old bbriggs racks look best to me for throwover saddlebags, but these racks aren't made anymore. If one does not carry a passenger, then I would think the saddlebags should be mounted so they rest right around the passenger footpegs under the back half of the seat--and not under the rear rack or over the back axle).

The giant loop is a great idea, and looks super well made, but every time I look at them I mentally draw a plane across the seat, and note how little volume of the GL actually hangs below the seat. Everything above the seat may as well be a generic duffel bag. Saddlebags put everything below the seat, as much as 60 liters.

If anyone wants to sell me their old style racks, please let me know!
SFKLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:01 AM   #507
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
I may have some sort of racks, came with my bike from prev owner. No idea what they were I'll check and post pics.

I will never use them. 100% Giant Loop believer here.

Maybe the saddle bags get stuff slightly lower, but then you have 2-3 separate compartments to break/bend/fall off the bike. No way a rack system is going to handle offroad carnage as well as single compartment system GL.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:41 AM   #508
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,925
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR
... The old bbriggs racks look best to me ... but these racks aren't made anymore...
Im sure glad I found my 'Old Style BBriggs Racks'
b4 they were all gone

Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 09:44 AM   #509
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 364
I think those might be the racks I have laying in the garage I will check tonight.
Old 05-18-2011, 09:53 AM   #510
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,428
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog View Post
Im sure glad I found my 'Old Style BBriggs Racks'
b4 they were all gone ...
Best-looking racks out there...in my very humble opinion.

Where the hellya' been, Mike?...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX View Post
I think those might be the racks I have laying in the garage I will check tonight.
If you don't mind, 450, I would like to put myself first-in-line, should you ever decide to part with 'em...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote