Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-04-2011, 11:20 PM   #736
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
I got home from work, tonight, and found that the oil (on the SE) was a little low. If I had to take a guess, I'll probably have to add about 300ml's (hardly any) to get the level where I like it.

Anyhow, I'm outta' the Motorex PowerSynt. And, Cycle Gear (where I buy it) doesn't have one liter of it. Plus, it usually takes them about four days to get some in (special order). Well, I'm impatient, and don't feel like waiting.

I have some Castrol RS 4T (whatever the hell it's called).

Any problems topping-off with the Castrol?

They're both 10W50, and both full syn. I can't remember what the consensus was, on this. And, I posted here because I didn't want to start a whole new thread.

I'll wait, if I have to...don't want to smoke-up the LC-8.

Thanks in advance...

Hey J.J, I mix synthetics whenever I'm in the same situation. I've had no problems.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2011, 11:34 PM   #737
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,182
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
Hey J.J, I mix synthetics whenever I'm in the same situation. I've had no problems.

What is an old guy distinguished gentleman, who gets-up at zero-dark-thirty every morning, doin' up at this hour?...and surfing the web, no less.

I appreciate the response, Jack. I kinda' thought it was alright to do this, especially with the viscosity/full syn. match. But, I just thought I'd check.

You're a good man...I'm gonna' leave you something in my will. Thanks again...

P.S.- I spoke with your buddy, Blake, the other day (career advancement )...nice guy.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 07:55 PM   #738
DirtJack
Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,086
Quote:
Originally Posted by WARRIORPRINCEJJ View Post
P.S.- I spoke with your buddy, Blake, the other day (career advancement )...nice guy.

You should see his brand new 2012, 300 2-smoke. It's blue and yellow.
2008 KTM 690 Enduro
DirtJack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 08:47 PM   #739
buildit
Guns, bikes and Bows

Oddometer: 13,982
Hey JJ, hope your outside the fire zone I saw on the news tonight down there in Tejas.

Had a good weekend with the first running of the Trans Tar Hollow route I've been working on this summer. Everything went great and even the rain waited till the ride was over.
I don't have any video or photos of me riding the 950 in front of all the KTM's and KLRs but if you visit my You tube site below the TTH 9-4 video has some good vid and photos of the riders and trails.
2006 KLR650
2001 YX426 (street Legal)
buildit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2011, 09:20 PM   #740
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 903
Finally got a little ride in this evening and it wasn't over 100 degrees Appears that we've turned a corner for cooler weather now just some rain would be nice.

Anyone using a G2 400 throttle tamer cam? Thinking one would be nice in the slow stuff if it works and not much downside.

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 02:16 AM   #741
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 909
raising the forks

So my SE is OK height wise, but a friend has just picked up an '08 (1300 miles immaculate apparently) but wants it lowered a little. He's not too handy with spanners so I'm going to raise the forks for him.

So what is the most you can raise the forks through the yolks before the side stand is too long, or the chances of the front tyre hitting the mud guard approach 100%? He's got a 690 Enduro as well for the heavy off road stuff, so it's not going to be ridden "that" hard.

On road bikes 10-15 mm seems to be the norm, but an SE? I'd rather not do "trial and error"

cheers

Markie
Old 09-07-2011, 03:40 AM   #742
Johnnyboxer
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 1,007
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales View Post
Fitted my first D908RR on the SE and have been out for the first time to scrub it in. How sensitive to pressures are they as I made the fatal mistake of assuming when I asked the fitter to put 36 psi in they did?

When I was going over cats eyes / white lines at 60 - 70 the bike really wobbled around un-nervingly - checked pressures this morning and it only had 30.5 psi in. Pumped it up - and hope this will cure it, but not going to be able to get out until next weekend And yes I know it'll need more scrubbing in - so hope that helps as well.

Came off TKC's and will go back to them if this is "normal". Help!!!

cheers

Markie
I find the 908RR very sensitive to white lines, you get used to it

2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Black
2005 BMW R1150GS Adv - Silver
2007 BMW G650 XCountry - Black
Johnnyboxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 03:56 AM   #743
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnnyboxer View Post
I find the 908RR very sensitive to white lines, you get used to it
I just didn't get on with it and they are being changed, today as it happens. Off to Portugal next week so wanted a tyre I was confident in.

cheers

Markie
Old 09-07-2011, 05:28 AM   #744
mcmann
Motorcycle Maniac

Oddometer: 1,442
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales View Post
So my SE is OK height wise, but a friend has just picked up an '08 (1300 miles immaculate apparently) but wants it lowered a little. He's not too handy with spanners so I'm going to raise the forks for him.

So what is the most you can raise the forks through the yolks before the side stand is too long, or the chances of the front tyre hitting the mud guard approach 100%? He's got a 690 Enduro as well for the heavy off road stuff, so it's not going to be ridden "that" hard.

On road bikes 10-15 mm seems to be the norm, but an SE? I'd rather not do "trial and error"

cheers

Markie
Start with 25mm on the front and back off the rear shock tension by 12mm to lower the back . . . . unless he is very heavy.

2011 DL650 V-Strom "Real World"
2014 FZ-09 for the "WOW World"
mcmann is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2011, 05:47 AM   #745
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmann View Post
Start with 25mm on the front and back off the rear shock tension by 12mm to lower the back . . . . unless he is very heavy.
Thanks for that. I think there is only 8mm of rear preload as standard, but will wind out what I can. Don't know his weight but he's not a biffer (if that word translates).

cheers

Markie
Old 09-08-2011, 06:23 PM   #746
Stobie
Mr. Motivated

Oddometer: 1,852
Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post

Anyone using a G2 400 throttle tamer cam? Thinking one would be nice in the slow stuff if it works and not much downside.
Yep. It's handy with knobs, off pavement or on. It's mostly helpful when you're riding slow, bumpy rocky stuff. Prevents the inadvertent throttle inputs that make you go all Superman-like.

It does sometimes seem to take off a little too much of the edge, so I revert back to the 200 or 100 cam if I'm not doing technical stuff.

Problems cannot be solved at the same level of awareness that created them.

-Albert Einstein
Stobie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:02 AM   #747
The Bigfella
Big Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,276
I'm riding in Timor-Leste at the moment... heading into Indonesia and mainland Asia for a while. When I had the tank off just before I left Australia, to replace a stuffed pump, I noticed a leak around the fuel level sensor.

Sorry to ask the question without doing some more searching... but the net connection here is shitty .... but is there an easy fix, or a "get me along OK" fix? I asked the KTM mechanic at the shop I was working outside when I did the fuel pump and he gave me some "white snot" to put on it. Doesn't seem to have worked .... as I had dripping fuel for a while there today.

Any thoughts? Bear in mind, I'm weeks away from getting any spare parts sent in. Weeks and thousands of km....
Old 09-09-2011, 05:20 AM   #748
pizzaboy
retiring tomorrow

Oddometer: 903
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stobie View Post
Yep. It's handy with knobs, off pavement or on. It's mostly helpful when you're riding slow, bumpy rocky stuff. Prevents the inadvertent throttle inputs that make you go all Superman-like.

It does sometimes seem to take off a little too much of the edge, so I revert back to the 200 or 100 cam if I'm not doing technical stuff.
Thanks Stobie! Definitely don't want to lose the "edge" . So once you put on the G2 throttle tube you can just trade out the cam as needed?

'09 BMW R1200GSA
'09 KTM 950SER Erz
'14 KTM 1190 Adventure R
pizzaboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 05:35 AM   #749
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by pizzaboy View Post
Thanks Stobie! Definitely don't want to lose the "edge" . So once you put on the G2 throttle tube you can just trade out the cam as needed?
On my 990 adv the longest part of fitting was getting the rubber grip off the old tube and onto the new one. Changing cams would be a 5 min, one socket job if the grip is already on.

cheers

Markie

EDIT: 2 sockets if you need to remove a bar end hand guard etc :)

markie_wales screwed with this post 09-09-2011 at 05:51 AM
markie_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2011, 11:31 AM   #750
Beer
950 SE

Oddometer: 348
Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtJack View Post
You should see his brand new 2012, 300 2-smoke. It's blue and yellow.
mines a 300 blue and yellow

loaded like a pack horse recently....

http://950superenduro.com
Beer is offline   Reply With Quote