Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-15-2010, 05:20 PM   #76
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,922
Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313
I've got a set of woodys tubeless supermoto wheels... I'm toying with the idea of selling them. I don't use them enough to justify having them ...
That was my problem when I had a set for my 525. It was too much trouble
to change & I ride TOO MUCH Dirt , so I sold em .
18" Mefo Super Explorer rear & Karoo 'T 2' 21" front Knobbies works just as well
on my 950 SE
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2010, 06:14 PM   #77
Nowwhat
I'll Go Second...

Oddometer: 4,507
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
18" Mefo Super Explorer rear & Karoo 'T 2' 21" front Knobbies works just as well
on my 950 SE

ummmm....No they don't...not even close....at all....
'Berg 570..Trail Beast
Nowwhat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 10:04 AM   #78
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,407
Coolant level...

The SE and I are about 300 miles from home, right now.

As far as the coolant level...I couldn't remember...

Check it hot?...Check it cold?

Bike on the sidestand?...Bike off the sidestand (and perpendicular to the ground)?

Also, if I'm low, will it hurt me to go to one of these "Instant Oil Change" places and have them put a little of their 50/50 in it?

Thanks in advance.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2010, 09:00 PM   #79
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
Check coolant with bike level and engine cold.

I would think you could add 50/50 to it..but dont know for sure.
Old 07-16-2010, 09:36 PM   #80
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

I appreciate it...

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM450SX
Check coolant with bike level and engine cold.

I would think you could add 50/50 to it..but dont know for sure.
Thank you Mr. KTM450SX. For awhile there, I thought nobody was gonna' help a brotha' out.

The SE and I have about another 300 miles ahead of us, tomorrow. It's been hot (and humid) as Hell here in Texas. I damn-near dehydrated, and tapped-out due to heat exhaustion, on the first leg of our little journey.

The SE hung in there. And, despite the fact that it never went above five bars, the coolant did look a little low.

Anyhow, I appreciate the response.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 07-16-2010, 09:44 PM   #81
KTM450SX
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 363
NP The manual says to use 50/50 high quality coolant and distilled water.

If your just a little low I would think just adding a touch of distilled water would work fine.
Old 07-17-2010, 02:26 AM   #82
mookymoo
Mookish Mook

Oddometer: 4,371
Quote:
Originally Posted by HickOnACrick
Okay, I am a bit embarrassed to admit this, but I have had my SE for over a year now, and it has always popped and backfired when decelerating.

Is there anything that can be done to stop this annoyance? I am running stock jetting, Akros, canisterectomy and SAS removed.

The backfiring was present with the stock pipes, the new Akros, before and after doing the canister/SAS removal.
Did you have the bike from new? Has anyone had the header pipes off?

The graphite seals are easily damaged & when they leak, the bike pops and backfires like crazy. Ive experienced it.
Its possible a seal has leaked from new...
mookymoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2010, 08:24 PM   #83
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

WTF happened here?...

Today, I was on the last leg of a 600-mile trip. About 200 miles into the last leg (which was about 300 miles total), I noticed this...

What the hell happened here? Did I grenade something?

I thought the crankcase vented into the airbox. However, there is motor oil all over the left/rear (exterior) of the airbox, and the left-side of the rear cylinder.

At first, I thought that the oil on the outside (left/rear) of the airbox was the filter oil that had been leaking since I oiled the pre-filter. That shit has been dribbling-off for weeks...guess I put too much. However, the oil that is now on the exterior of the airbox seems to match the oil that is on the rear cylinder (which I would guess is engine oil...judging by it's color and consistency).

What the hell did I mess-up now?...

Old 07-18-2010, 11:26 AM   #84
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Oil pressure switch on the rear of the front cylinder?

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2010, 11:50 AM   #85
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

First off...Thank you, triplenickel, for the response.

I believe that the switch that you mentioned (oil pressure switch) is the connection that I found undone when I had the airbox off a few weeks back. The connection resembles that of the horn. As per the advice I got here, I re-connected it.

After you mentioned it, I went out to the garage and checked it. It was still connected. I tried to move the female connection back and forth, and it appeared to have a good, solid connection.

Is it possible that, on the long highway runs of my trek, the crankcase built-up so much pressure that the motor burped oil? I was between 80 and 90 mph (indicated). It doesn't make sense to me, as I was under the impression that the LC-8 was a racing motor. I am at a loss...

Old 07-18-2010, 02:32 PM   #86
motomal
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
Oil pressure switch on the rear of the front cylinder?
I think he means that the switch itself may not be screwed into the cylinder tightly. The electrical connection may still ok but is not going to affect oil leakage.
Old 07-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #87
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
The switches are a known leak spot.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2010, 09:22 AM   #88
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by motomal
I think he means that the switch itself may not be screwed into the cylinder tightly...
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel
The switches are a known leak spot.
Thank you, gentlemen.

Just when you think you've read everything about the make/model of the bike that you own, you learn something new. I had never heard of the switch being a known leak area. I wish I had known that a few weeks back, when I had the thing apart. Oh well...

Last night, after getting home from work, I looked at the bike a little more closely. It appears that the bike did, indeed, burp oil into the airbox. It also appears that gravity took-over from there, carrying most of the oil to the lower/rear portion of the airbox (inside). It appears that the oil flowed-down between the airbox seal/boot...which I didn't think was possible...and onto the rear intake manifold/cylinder area.

Funny thing is...I had been riding my bike to work, everyday. When I decided to take this trip, I also decided to check the oil level...which I found to be very low. I rode the bike...checked the oil...rode it some more...added oil...rode it some more...re-checked it...etc. I wound-up adding about 2/3 to 3/4 of a liter. That left the oil level just above the "low" line, on the site glass, on the oil bag. It appears that the oil that I added, or most of it, is the oil that the bike got rid of. As I stated, I am at a loss...

P.S.- It appears that the bike does have a little seepage near the oil pressure switch. However, as I noted above, I don't think that was the inception of this particular leak.

Once again, thanks for all the help.

WARRIORPRINCEJJ screwed with this post 07-19-2010 at 09:29 AM
Old 07-24-2010, 12:55 PM   #89
Conspire
Adventurer

Oddometer: 57
how do i separate the brake pistons?

while trying to change the front tire, I can't fit the brake disk between the brake pads and pistons. I know it should be simple, but how do I open up/separate the brake pads so i can slide the wheel and brake disk into place?
Conspire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2010, 04:15 PM   #90
olec
Rookie

Oddometer: 273
The biggest flat screwdriver you can fit between the pads (centered). Twist it slowly, and the piston will be forced in.
olec is offline   Reply With Quote