ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 08-13-2010, 04:25 PM   #106
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Oddometer: 9,723
SE subframe + RotoPax = DISASTER???

Okay SE gurus,

What say you?

I have read the SE subrame threads. Some say subframe + RotoPax = disaster. Others show photos of the their bikes with everything but the kitchen sink mounted on them.

I don't want to disassemble my bike (to brace the subframe) until winter. However, I would like to buy a 1-gallon RotoPax set-up, and mount it to my CJ Designs rack, before then.

What are the chances of a break?...90%?...50%?...20%? What do YOU think?...

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
WARRIORPRINCEJJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 04:33 PM   #107
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Warrior,
It ALL depends on what terrain your riding & how FAST your attacking the ROUGH Stuff
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:03 AM   #108
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
Warrior,
It ALL depends on what terrain your riding & how FAST your attacking the ROUGH Stuff

Thanks Brown Dog. I kinda' figured there were alot of factors that came-into play.

So...I guess...It's, basically, a gamble.

"There's a WEALTH of cool people and knowledge on ADV, there's also a decent sized pocket of douche bag assholes that think their ADV forum Post Count (Oddometer) is their badge at being experienced riders." goodcat8
Old 08-14-2010, 03:20 PM   #109
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 496
I did about 1200 road miles and about 700 off-road miles in Nevada last year loaded like this and never had any issues. Obviously the side racks help a bunch.
"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Current bike: something ORANGE!

RedlegDaddy screwed with this post 08-14-2010 at 07:30 PM
RedlegDaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2010, 11:30 PM   #110
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,023
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedlegDaddy
I did about 1200 road miles and about 700 off-road miles in Nevada last year loaded like this and never had any issues. Obviously the side racks help a bunch.
Having recently gone through the "cracked subframe blues" with my SE, I am amazed your SE subframe has remained intact .

TWO KEY POINTS TO NOTE:

1) From the photo above it appears you have done a good job securing the
load. A shifting load multiplies the stressors on the S frame by a bunch.

2) You have kept the weight (forward) of the (rear edge) of the top rack.

The top plate mounting holes are in the center of the top plate and screw into the last portion of the subframe, effectively creating a diving board effect on the thinnest , most stressed areas of the bike.

These two key points are important to recognize due to the very minimal structural support found in this southern-most area of the 950SE subframe.
This area is where nearly all the failures seem to occur.

I would suspect that if you pulled the top fender skirt off of your bike,(the plastic surrounding the fuse,battery,tool pouch), you may find issues.
The cracking can be quite subtle and difficult to detect at first. But the weld points on this rear subframe area are astonishingly minimal and unsupported.
I carried nearly the same set up as you show in the photo. Everything seemed fine with my set up, however, a slight squeeking began to catch my ear, then the squeek progressed into a steady squeek.
I pulled the top skirt and found what you see below.

The bike is now reinforced and back to its dastardly deeds.

I hope those contemplating carrying significant weight on the rear of their SE'S take this weakness seriously and respond accordingly

pfdskipper screwed with this post 08-14-2010 at 11:41 PM
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:48 AM   #111
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Thanks...

Redleg,

Thanks for weighing-in, and thanks for the pic. That is exactly how I hope to mount an RP to my CJ rack.

pfd,

Thanks for the input, and the photos.

It is interesting that you posted what you did. I have noticed that most, if not all, of the offered racks (once mounted) tend to sit very far to the rear of the mounting points. This is, no doubt, to allow removal of the seat. However, in my very humble opinion, it also allows any load (on the rack) to act like a bar...compounding the force that the load can put on the subframe.

Because I do believe this, it is my intent to mount the RP with the load (more or less) centered over the rack mounting bolts. I think this will allow for some natural flexion of the subframe (because the RP and mount should not weigh too much), and should better distribute the weight. If I have to remove the container, to remove the seat, so be it...

Old 08-16-2010, 01:14 PM   #112
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

I am not a huge fan of Touratech but I have used the Tourtech rack on all three of the Super Enduro's I have owned because it is the smallest rack I could find.

"Above all, we must realize that no arsenal, or no weapon in the arsenals of the world, is so formidable as the will and moral courage of free men and women. It is a weapon our adversaries in today's world do not have." Ronald Reagan

Old 08-18-2010, 09:26 AM   #113
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Road book fitting

Hi

Looking to swap my 990 Adv for a SE but cannot seem to find any references /links to how to fit a Road book carrier. I have the TT one which comes with a lovely replacement dash for the Adv, but bugger all for the SE.

Any ideas?

cheers

Markie
Old 08-18-2010, 02:58 PM   #114
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales
Hi

Looking to swap my 990 Adv for a SE but cannot seem to find any references /links to how to fit a Road book carrier. I have the TT one which comes with a lovely replacement dash for the Adv, but bugger all for the SE.

Any ideas?

cheers

Markie
I bet Charlie has something that would work.

Check out his post here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572513

I'm using one of his brackets to mount the GPS on my Super Enduro:

RedlegDaddy screwed with this post 08-18-2010 at 03:49 PM
Old 08-18-2010, 06:52 PM   #115
Brown Dog
North Georgia Dual Sportr

Oddometer: 1,939
Quote:
... I have used the Tourtech rack on all three of the Super Enduro's I have owned because it is the smallest rack I could find.
I do like the small compact size too. OH, & NATURAL ALUMINUM Color for me as Im not a fan of black [notice my rims]

Brown Dog screwed with this post 08-19-2010 at 10:35 AM
Brown Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #116
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 927
Quote:
I bet Charlie has something that would work.

Check out his post here: http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=572513

I'm using one of his brackets to mount the GPS on my Super Enduro:
That could just be the ticket - thanks mate.

cheers

Markie
Old 08-21-2010, 10:33 AM   #117
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brown Dog
Okay Brown Dog,

Spill the beans about the orange headlight mask...

I drilled my stock mask, to fit the 690E windscreen, and don't particularly care for it. I went to order another mask, and found that I can't just order the mask and two stickers that go on it. I have to order a $125.00 sticker kit.

Is that orange mask off another model (SM or SM-R, or something)?...

By the way, that is a great looking ride. Unlike you, I am a fan of black, and not so much of silver. But, I must admit, it really came-together (on your ride) very nicely.

Old 08-21-2010, 11:12 AM   #118
rob1313
Still learning

Oddometer: 4,363
pfft, I went to order the side panel stickers for my Erzberg, $368 up here. Screw it. I'll do something customs when the stock decals get too ratched
Old 08-21-2010, 11:14 AM   #119
WARRIORPRINCEJJ OP
Not in the clique...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rob1313
pfft, I went to order the side panel stickers for my Erzberg, $368 up here...
Did you try www.ktmworld.com ?...

I get alot of my stuff from them.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:40 PM   #120
RedlegDaddy
Gnarly Adventurer

I did my first ride today on the SE with the new Flexx Bars and Peg Extenders, all I can say is WOW! It is incredible how much more comfortable it was. It takes all the shock off the wrists, elbows and shoulders. I have had shoulder surgery three times in the last three years and the Flexx Bars seem to help a bunch!

BIG THANKS to James Renazco for the bars and peg extenders!