ADVrider

Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush > Crazy-Awesome almost Dakar racers (950/990cc)
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 07-03-2012, 10:38 AM   #1201
BENRON
Crosscut Certified

Oddometer: 3,677
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schannulleke View Post
The hard part about unmounting or mounting the tank are not the bolts but the fuel connections.

Left petcock, right petcock, input from the fuel pump, output from the fuel pump (quick connector). Have you got a trick for that too?
You disconnect the pump input? I just close both valves, disconnect the quick-connect, and pull the hose off the right petcock, then drag the cross-over tube out when I pull the tank up.

It'd be nice to have the petcocks point forward so that the cross over line would go in front of the radiator, giving enough room for a another quick connect. That way you wouldn't even need to shut the petcocks- Three bolts, two quick connects, and the electrical... It'd almost be as easy as a real dirt bike!
BENRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:42 AM   #1202
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
Tail light

Is there a tail light assembly that replaces the stock unit so I dont have so much stuff hanging down?
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 06:32 PM   #1203
jimmex
Guero con moto

Oddometer: 2,887
Quote:
Originally Posted by spencergt66 View Post
is there a tail light assembly that replaces the stock unit so i dont have so much stuff hanging down?
+1.
jimmex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 07:40 PM   #1204
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,430
Somebody makes one but I can't remember who, there's the sawzall fix too. It's free;

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 11:56 PM   #1205
spencergt66
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 807
I have seen some aftermarket clear tail light set ups that looked pretty trick I think CJ has something like that on his SE just wondering what type it is and how much of a chore it was to get the fitment right
spencergt66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 05:54 AM   #1206
MP5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
I finally got a chance to take out my SE in some nasty single track that a group of us do every year in Northern Maine. Places where 250 two strokes are happy, and even my 400. But I really wanted to test both my bike, and my skills on this beast. I stripped it down as far as taking off rear racks and CJ Rack, and only filled Safari half way.

I was amazed at the bike's ability. I could only really feel the weight when stopped or going very slow. I did however, "tip her over" twice in a very large mud hole. This place loves to eat bikes lol. Picked it up, and carried on. Even managed to climb a pretty steep sand pit hill that many cannot get their smaller enduros up. About 80' up with a 45 degree pitch

Only one complaint .....stock seat is too high for me when off road. Don't want to lower the suspension or use the Rocky Meyer for the dirt either. Am thinking of shaving some foam from seat an inch or so.

Anyone done this to their stock seat, or know of people who have? I figure its pretty strait forward...but suggestions are gooooood.

Here's a clip from the hill...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Je2XNVMVL5k&feature=plcp
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2012, 02:35 PM   #1207
logman
Adventurer

Oddometer: 53
Getting ready to take my SE down some nasty sandy Michigan trails. I am curious what other SE riders have to say about my tire setup.

The trails have a lot of sand... Currently I have Front/Rear radial TKC80's

First, are my TKC80's sand worthy? If not - what setup would you recommend?

Second, my current tires are radial.. should I get tubes for the more serious off-road stuff?

Lastly, I have herd mixed things about tire pressure when offroading (keep in mind there are very few rocks on the trails I ride)... Manual says let some air out, but is there really a need?

Thanks!
logman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2012, 11:10 AM   #1208
HOT DAMN!
♪ ♪ ♪

Oddometer: 7,633
Quote:
Originally Posted by logman View Post
Getting ready to take my SE down some nasty sandy Michigan trails. I am curious what other SE riders have to say about my tire setup.

The trails have a lot of sand... Currently I have Front/Rear radial TKC80's

First, are my TKC80's sand worthy? If not - what setup would you recommend?

Second, my current tires are radial.. should I get tubes for the more serious off-road stuff?

Lastly, I have herd mixed things about tire pressure when offroading (keep in mind there are very few rocks on the trails I ride)... Manual says let some air out, but is there really a need?

Thanks!
My setup on the SE for the deep whooped out sand in the U.P. is a 606 front/Teraflex rear.

YMMV
Old 07-12-2012, 11:35 AM   #1209
MP5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 255
606 front (22 psi), tractionator H/T rear (25 psi). These settings were for rocky, rooty, swampy, slick terrain. Pretty much everything. Also, a 100 mile highway burn (38 psi both) for that.Great traction for me in those conditions w those tires.......my $.02
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 07:17 AM   #1210
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 409
Hoping someone can answer this - I just bought a front caliper and am just about to service it. The pistons look "wrong way round" to me, ie the flat, closed part of the piston is facing out towards the pad. On every caliper I've seen before from other bikes it's the "hollow end" that faces the pad. Just wondering if this is correct or someone has put them back in wrong way round for some reason? (I don't have a bike to look at here, hence the question)

This is how it looks

Mike_MRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 08:09 AM   #1211
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
Hoping someone can answer this - I just bought a front caliper and am just about to service it. The pistons look "wrong way round" to me, ie the flat, closed part of the piston is facing out towards the pad. On every caliper I've seen before from other bikes it's the "hollow end" that faces the pad. Just wondering if this is correct or someone has put them back in wrong way round for some reason? (I don't have a bike to look at here, hence the question)

This is how it looks

That's fine, they are still hollow. You can poke a hole in the center part with a screw driver if you want to try for yourself.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 04:22 PM   #1212
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Cheers Lukas. I know they're hollow, I've had them out - just looks weird with a "closed" end
Old 07-18-2012, 12:07 AM   #1213
LukasM
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 5,427
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigMike40 View Post
Cheers Lukas. I know they're hollow, I've had them out - just looks weird with a "closed" end
I was very surprised when I first took off an LC4 caliper and the closed end on one of the pistons was missing a couple of chunks. It's a brittle material - at least if it's old - and I would assume it has to do with heat reflection, so that the fluid doesn't get boiled as quickly.

Tracker: https://share.delorme.com/LukasMatzinger
LukasM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM   #1214
brents347
Trusting my Cape...

Oddometer: 3,913
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFKLR View Post
Quick question: one of my lower fork-protector reflectors fell off. I took the other one off too.
Does the California Vehicle Code require these reflectors? I can't seem to find it in the V.C.
I don't want a fix it ticket. (The racing numbers and after market exhaust are tempting enough for
officers to pull me over.) Thanks.

I don't believe they are required anywhere in the V.C.

I could be wrong, but I'd be very suprised if they were required.

01 Kawasaki KE100
74 Honda MR50
brents347 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2012, 01:13 AM   #1215
Mike_MRS
Gnarly Adventurer

Just a word to the wise - the guy who had the forks before me has sheared off ALL the fork guard bolts. They all needed drilling out which was no mean feat I can tell you. Not fun at all.

So you might want to unscrew your bolts and stick some aluminium or copper grease on them before putting them back in, the ally is very very soft and seems prone to corrosion.