Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Orange Crush
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-06-2012, 02:21 PM   #1396
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,824
5am was on the way to work 3klm out of 25klm this morning & all of a sudden big drop in power & felt like it was missing on 1 cyl - so i instantly shut it down & rolled to a stop. hit the starter it turned over freely. ok so fired it up. hmmmm erratic idle & fluffy missing sound - hole in exhaust ? so limped back home slowly.

looked all over the bike exhaust bends etc - wtf is it - curiosity looked down the telco silencers haha found it. pulled the silencer off.

what i found
the Right side core insert (exhaust end) has dropped in/slid in away from were it seals.

have not pulled it apart yet but looks to me that the weld maybe ? down the other end / TIP end of the core has separated to the rest of the core. like the core is a two piece length ?

can anyone confirm if the core is a two piece length or would it had been spot welded on the end & has let go ? & is the core stainless or mild ? if stainless ill need to take it to the b/shop or exhaust place.

need get this done only means of transport now.

just rang the local b/shop there flat out 3 days minimum wait - 2 mechanics walked out on them.

so trying contact local exhaust place not answering phone
1 out of 2

this has cost me $300 in loss wages today

well the other exhaust place here in my town drilled out the pop rivets got the bottom end off looked at it said he did not know how to fix it & gave it to me in pieces $10Aud charge.

so took it home & seen straight away the problem. on the exit end of the baffle core it has a 70mm length of pipe/sleeve that slides in the perforated core. which gives its length & keeps it all snug & tight inside.
the sleeve & core were never spot welded from new & has allowed the sleeve to slide down inside the perforated core.
so with a bit of mucking around to get the right length so its all tight when the end cap is on then welded it (mild) steel.

next was slip it back in squeeze the outer with my thighs while slipping the end cap on with rivet holes aligned & pop rivet back up.

jobs done :) & ripped off $10Aud

MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 09-06-2012 at 11:13 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 02:32 PM   #1397
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,908
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
cant find it??
Heh.... I found it. It won't last long now that it's been posted on adv..... Has an ohlins dampener too....
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:12 PM   #1398
mattc
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 412
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idle View Post
Quick question, who has $6,900 burning a hole in their pocket? There's a 2007 950 SE R in Baltimore (on a lot?)

I'm in no way affiliatted, I just happened upon it on craigslist and thought I'd share it's existence. Maybe all that's wrong with it is that it's up for sale for KBB and not actual value?

Dang! That's pretty cheap!
Old 09-06-2012, 03:17 PM   #1399
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle View Post
Heh.... I found it. It won't last long now that it's been posted on adv..... Has an ohlins dampener too....
The path is best found where?

I went to Baltimore cl and searched every 950 parameter I know of, guess I'm just stu-pit
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:35 PM   #1400
mountain eagle
terrorist

Oddometer: 2,908
http://baltimore.craigslist.org/ctd/3229093196.html
my smugmug gallery
How can it be fun if there's not at least an outside chance of dying?
mountain eagle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 03:56 PM   #1401
pfdskipper
Westside Trash

Oddometer: 1,011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountain eagle View Post
thanks!!

Thats a great deal, its going to need some brake work though!
pfdskipper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 07:32 PM   #1402
VOLdog
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 316
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfdskipper View Post
thanks!!

Thats a great deal, its going to need some brake work though!

Its already in Colorado !!!
VOLdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2012, 11:14 PM   #1403
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by veetwo _tls View Post
5am was on the way to work 3klm out of 25klm this morning & all of a sudden big drop in power & felt like it was missing on 1 cyl - so i instantly shut it down & rolled to a stop. hit the starter it turned over freely. ok so fired it up. hmmmm erratic idle & fluffy missing sound - hole in exhaust ? so limped back home slowly.

looked all over the bike exhaust bends etc - wtf is it - curiosity looked down the telco silencers haha found it. pulled the silencer off.

what i found
the Right side core insert (exhaust end) has dropped in/slid in away from were it seals.

have not pulled it apart yet but looks to me that the weld maybe ? down the other end / TIP end of the core has separated to the rest of the core. like the core is a two piece length ?

can anyone confirm if the core is a two piece length or would it had been spot welded on the end & has let go ? & is the core stainless or mild ? if stainless ill need to take it to the b/shop or exhaust place.

need get this done only means of transport now.

just rang the local b/shop there flat out 3 days minimum wait - 2 mechanics walked out on them.

so trying contact local exhaust place not answering phone
1 out of 2

this has cost me $300 in loss wages today

well the other exhaust place here in my town drilled out the pop rivets got the bottom end off looked at it said he did not know how to fix it & gave it to me in pieces $10Aud charge.

so took it home & seen straight away the problem. on the exit end of the baffle core it has a 70mm length of pipe/sleeve that slides in the perforated core. which gives its length & keeps it all snug & tight inside.
the sleeve & core were never spot welded from new & has allowed the sleeve to slide down inside the perforated core.
so with a bit of mucking around to get the right length so its all tight when the end cap is on then welded it (mild) steel.

next was slip it back in squeeze the outer with my thighs while slipping the end cap on with rivet holes aligned & pop rivet back up.

jobs done :) & ripped off $10Aud

update

just went to sync my carbs & found the pull cable has snapped on the rear carb. rang the local fcr supplier in south oz no cables in stock & at $120Aud a set. ring the local shop they have cable inners but to large :(
so im up shit creek with no transport till its fixed.

Q: will the FCR's work ok with single cables IE: just a pull no push cables as the springs are quite strong on the fcr carbs.
its how i ran my stock modded carb on my XR630 just a pull no push cable with no dramas.

MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 09-07-2012 at 02:56 AM
Old 09-08-2012, 06:52 PM   #1404
2torqued
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Hi
Just picked up a 06 950se and it is awesome. New to the KTM world, (leaving the xr650 thumper). Ive searched the sight and read a lot about the canisterectomy. Most threads are on 950a. Is this a must do on the se?
2torqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 06:55 PM   #1405
Navin
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 7,433
Quote:
Originally Posted by veetwo _tls View Post

Q: will the FCR's work ok with single cables IE: just a pull no push cables as the springs are quite strong on the fcr carbs.
its how i ran my stock modded carb on my XR630 just a pull no push cable with no dramas.

I am running pull only cables on my 950 FCRs and every other FCR bike I've ever owned, also my FI Burg. No worries.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 07:43 PM   #1406
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Navin View Post
I am running pull only cables on my 950 FCRs and every other FCR bike I've ever owned, also my FI Burg. No worries.
thanks Navin
i thought they be ok just wanted to make sure. Ken H2W confirmed as well between emails when i was ordering a couple of cable sets.

nothing over this way in stock :( local b/shop chopped up what i had to try make some up & found they had no small ends like in the 1 into 2 junction box & i got stung $111Aud from them & ended up with a hand full of chopped up cables & a made up push pull cable set for a single carb :(

ended up as an expensive day
MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 09-08-2012 at 07:53 PM
Old 09-08-2012, 08:10 PM   #1407
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2torqued View Post
Hi
Just picked up a 06 950se and it is awesome. New to the KTM world, (leaving the xr650 thumper). Ive searched the sight and read a lot about the canisterectomy. Most threads are on 950a. Is this a must do on the se?
Yeah it's a must do. Have you found the Hall of Wisdom yet?

http://www.ktm950.info/

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:24 PM   #1408
2torqued
Adventurer

Oddometer: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Yeah it's a must do. Have you found the Hall of Wisdom yet?

http://www.ktm950.info/
absolutely. Actually just found Garry's wright up. One other question is if I stay with stock pipes do I stay away from the sas removal?
2torqued is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:26 PM   #1409
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,422
Quote:
absolutely. Actually just found Garry's wright up. One other question is if I stay with stock pipes do I stay away from the sas removal?
Correct.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2012, 08:56 PM   #1410
max2
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 214
Quote:
Hi

Ditch the stock exhust, they get super hot and weigh a million pounds. You can usually find some good used aftermarket or FMF's are affordable. Do the canisterectomy and SAS removal and pipes in one shot. Move the carb needles to the 3rd position and you won't believe the difference .
2007 KTM Super Enduro - Sold - HUGE Mistake letting it go
2006 KTM Adventure S - Sold / 2007 KTM 950 Supermoto - Sold
max2 is offline   Reply With Quote