Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 09-23-2012, 01:40 PM   #1426
Grayspeed
Adventurer

Oddometer: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pepetrueba View Post
My wings carbon tips turned a dull white. I did a 200 trip from Chula Vista to mount Palomar here in San Diego County yesterday and left bike uncovered overnight. this morning carbon fibre looks like a semi flat white dull color
I tried the Tijuana special coating with WD40 only sides are black and shiny and slippery, top is still white. Then i cleaned and used armour all for that "serious shiny slippery look"...same...cant get the dull white.
weird. it has never happened to me with carbon, and its my first time with carbon fibre exhaust tips.
any tips on getting color black this side of removing rivets and having them cleqr coated, etc.
Black boot polish 'Kiwi' brand preferably will retoresome of the black shine. Apply it when the carbon is cold and do it exactly how you would polish shoes.
Grayspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2012, 08:28 PM   #1427
bigborefan
Making new friends

Oddometer: 1,292
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
My 08 950 SE runs regularly at 4 bars. This is the norm at hyways speds, or cooler rides etc.

But in the woods, or slow going on two track at say 20 -50 kph (12 -30 mph), my fan always comes on. And often times I am seeing 5 bars with the fan on aswell.

Is this normal for the 950 SE or the Adv bikes at these speeds?

Just wunderin'....

New coolant and flush 500 kms ago
new water pump rebuild 500 kms ago

I did 650 miles this weekend. I observed the same thing. Four bars on the highway and at speed. Five bars occasionally, and some fan occasionally. It never went over five and never overheated. It was 75F to maybe 80F when I was riding. I have mostly ridden in pretty cold weather up to now, so the five bars was stressing me. Good to know that others see the same thing.

I have had mine for one year now .I have only put 3000 miles on it, so I am still learning about it. So far it is a really great bike. I'll be honest, I bought it to use as a big dual sport/ADV touring bike. I have single track covered and I don't live near the desert, so no desert racing any time soon. This thing eats up highway miles like its on cruise control. And what little off road I have ridden, gravel, two track. some dirt road, and some tore up forest service roads, it works quite well off-road also.

Women, er, women sense my power, and they seek the life essence. I do not avoid women, Mandrake...but I do deny them my essence
bigborefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 05:04 AM   #1428
Navin
Unwounding

Oddometer: 6,672
I find that now I deleted my speedo/temp guage I obsess about temp alot less.

I used to pay too much attention to it, now I don't even think about it. It doesn't boil over, the fan cycles, all is well. You'd be better off to tape over the damn thing IMO.
Navin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2012, 10:42 AM   #1429
pepetrueba
PePeBaJa

Oddometer: 195
kiwi boot polish

Thanks for the tip. I will purchase some after work
Nice remedy for carbon fibre
Old 10-01-2012, 09:24 AM   #1430
markie_wales
Studly Adventurer

Oddometer: 908
After a little drop-sie-poos on Saturday the rear brake stop bolt sheared and the eccentric "washer/spacer" came off. The bolt broke flush to the frame, so I'll need to drill it out & re-tap, or maybe a left handed drill bit will do the business. I sort of treat this as a sacrificial bolt and not too worried it went.

Anyway, this got me to thinking, if I was on a long week(s) trip and this happened I would not be able to fix it on the trail. So is there any reason why I shouldn't drill it through with a 6mm drill and just stick a nut on the inside of the frame (although it might be a bit fiddly)? This way I could carry a spare nut, bolt and spacer in my tool bag and fix on the trial?

I know I've probably missed something obvious, but for the life of me I can't think what would be wrong about this.

cheers

Markie

EDIT bolt stub now out, so just wondering whether to replace as-is or drill through and stick a nut on a longer bolt?

markie_wales screwed with this post 10-01-2012 at 11:52 AM
markie_wales is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2012, 03:43 PM   #1431
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 2,395
Quote:
Originally Posted by markie_wales View Post
After a little drop-sie-poos on Saturday the rear brake stop bolt sheared and the eccentric "washer/spacer" came off. The bolt broke flush to the frame, so I'll need to drill it out & re-tap, or maybe a left handed drill bit will do the business. I sort of treat this as a sacrificial bolt and not too worried it went.

Anyway, this got me to thinking, if I was on a long week(s) trip and this happened I would not be able to fix it on the trail. So is there any reason why I shouldn't drill it through with a 6mm drill and just stick a nut on the inside of the frame (although it might be a bit fiddly)? This way I could carry a spare nut, bolt and spacer in my tool bag and fix on the trial?

I know I've probably missed something obvious, but for the life of me I can't think what would be wrong about this.

cheers

Markie

EDIT bolt stub now out, so just wondering whether to replace as-is or drill through and stick a nut on a longer bolt?
Seems like a good idea to me.

PG007
"Up there where you eat moose-cock you must all be rockets scientists."
triplenickel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 12:11 AM   #1432
MP5
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 253
I have a Wings Pipe, which has that black carbon type wrap around it. It had started to peel off before I bought it, and is now getting worse. (I assume because of heat).

Anyone else suffered this ?
Can I just buy new wrap....or will Wings replace it?
MP5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:32 PM   #1433
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,490
Finally got out for a few days riding in the Smokey mountains.

"Quick" question - do you use any throttle input when starting the bike cold? any difference when hot?

sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 02:40 PM   #1434
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanjoh View Post
Finally got out for a few days riding in the Smokey mountains.

"Quick" question - do you use any throttle input when starting the bike cold? any difference when hot?

Full choke cold with no throttle, a little blip when hot, WOT after a tip over and flood.

PG007
Old 10-03-2012, 12:19 AM   #1435
wilso122
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 183
Quote:
Originally Posted by MP5 View Post
I have a Wings Pipe, which has that black carbon type wrap around it. It had started to peel off before I bought it, and is now getting worse. (I assume because of heat).

Anyone else suffered this ?
Can I just buy new wrap....or will Wings replace it?
Just my opinion but have a personal hatred for carbon end cans as they simply cant take the heat and degrade over time, seems twins eat them, same on the 900ss, tl100 and seen it on ADV's as well. They are great if you are racing and get them free but for most mortals with a budget go for titanium every time.

As for the rest I would ask Wings directly, but, cant see you getting much luck.
wilso122 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 06:50 AM   #1436
sanjoh
Purveyor of Light

Oddometer: 4,490
Quote:
Originally Posted by triplenickel View Post
Full choke cold with no throttle, a little blip when hot, WOT after a tip over and flood.
Thanks
sanjoh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 PM   #1437
triplenickel
Beastly Adventurer

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilso122 View Post
Just my opinion but have a personal hatred for carbon end cans as they simply cant take the heat and degrade over time, seems twins eat them, same on the 900ss, tl100 and seen it on ADV's as well. They are great if you are racing and get them free but for most mortals with a budget go for titanium every time.

As for the rest I would ask Wings directly, but, cant see you getting much luck.
+1 My carbon Remus lasted all of about 6000kms before the rivets rattled loose for the end caps. They offered a replacement but said if I went with another carbon warranty was over, they offered a Ti as a replacement with normal warranty terms so that's what I ended up with.

PG007
Old 10-04-2012, 06:09 PM   #1438
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,813
Question

need some help please

i have a slight miss at low revs (at idle it's ok) / it's just off idle @ about 50kph then it disappears as i get past 60kph & up.

bike sits in a shed at home
originally i thought it was plugs so replaced them no fix & moisture as the bike sat in a good days down pore at work - a month ago.
i've sprayed all areas with wd40 that i could think maybe were moisture would cause it.
last couple weeks its been good weather 25+ degrees celcius so no moisture should be left.

bike sat for 3 weeks untill my throttle cables arrived for my FCR's (snapped cable)
yesterday i sync my carbs & the miss is still there & i swapped plugs again cr8eix & cr8ek ? ? ?

any ideas guys

i'll be in & out of the house trying to sort this so i'll reply when i can. cheers
MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 06:31 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #1439
DRjoe
Beastly Adventurer

Oddometer: 4,782
Might be time to give your carbs a clean.
DRjoe is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #1440
veetwo _tls
RENOVATIO:

Oddometer: 1,813
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRjoe View Post
Might be time to give your carbs a clean.
sorry i did not mention that in my post
yes i pulled the jets & blew them out , float bowls were clean also.
K&N filters cleaned & resprayed with oil.

one thing i did notice when doing my sync.
on the carbtune - as i SLOWLY open the throttle the front FCR carb opens/rod rises way faster than the rear FCR carb ?

BUT at the cables i have them adjusted so the slightest pull movement both FCR carbs are opening at the same time.

hope you guys understand what im saying.

at idle there fluctuating on the carbtune @ + or - 1cmhg of each other
MY07 950 SER

veetwo _tls screwed with this post 10-04-2012 at 07:41 PM
veetwo _tls is offline   Reply With Quote