Go Back   ADVrider > Bikes > Thumpers
User Name
Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 01-18-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Oddometer: 13,679
BRP conversion: where'd you put the battery?

ibarra et al!! help me out here

where in the world do I stick a battery on my converted BRP????? I thought there was some room under the seat but I'm not seeing it.

Help! pictures would be great

Also, does anyone have a schematic or something that shows exactly how to wire in the DC regulator? i bought mine from Sicass racing and they were no help on this point.

Zapp
Zapp22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 11:54 AM   #2
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zapp22

where in the world do I stick a battery on my converted BRP????? I thought there was some room under the seat but I'm not seeing it.

Help! pictures would be great

Also, does anyone have a schematic or something that shows exactly how to wire in the DC regulator? i bought mine from Sicass racing and they were no help on this point.

Zapp
Give www.trickdualsport.com a call and ask for help. The owner is very helpful.

I got my setup from them and the regulator had a diagram on it...
It stated two yellow wires from stator to yellow wires on the regulator..
From regulator to battery -- Black to black, green to green and splice in to load..

I put the battery in the air box -- My battery is small.
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2006, 09:38 PM   #3
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Alviz

do you have the make/model/part of your battery? i had assumed a number of small batteries would fit, but it ain't so. the parts guy is stumped? I know where it GOES, but the size to fit there is like 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.5

thx
z
Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 PM   #4
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Oddometer: 11,352
I bought an Electrex headlight ass'y. The 1.2ah gel battery (same mofo that's in my 620 RXC) lives in the assembly itself. Very sanitary stuff.

I'm so close to done building it.......

Hair of the dog....
gaspipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 05:45 AM   #5
alpiv
Sr. nOOb

Oddometer: 2,173
Quote:
Alviz

do you have the make/model/part of your battery? i had assumed a number of small batteries would fit, but it ain't so. the parts guy is stumped? I know where it GOES, but the size to fit there is like 3.5 x 2.5 x 1.5

thx
z
I will have to look @ home tonight -- Yet give the guys at www.trickdualsport.com a call -- I bought it through them.
They are very helpful.

gaspipe: front end looks good, yet what happend to the rest of the bike

alpiv screwed with this post 01-19-2006 at 06:09 AM
alpiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 12:30 PM   #6
cap
Vice of Reason

Oddometer: 2,403
Quote:
Zapp,

You may recall that I did this conversion on my XR.

I assume that you have replaced your stator? The stator has two pairs of outputs, one goes to the ECU and thence to the spark plug, and the other goes to the small OEM voltage regulator.

Remove the OEM regulator, and redirect those two wires to the new voltage regulator. Then, run the output wires from your new voltage regulator to your battery, and the other electrical loads on your bike. That is, your tail light, brake light, and head light assembly. Do NOT connect the -12vDC wire (usually black) from the new voltage regulator to the chassis of you motorcycle. This is called "floating" the ground of your bike.

RE: locating the battery... As was said earlier, some dual-sport conversions integrate a battery in the headlight assembly. Alternatively, Joe Racer makes a battery holder that hangs from the rear fender.

Why do you want a battery anyway? Are you installing a e-start option? Usually, e-start kits include a battery-mounting solution. The Baja kit mounts a battery aft of the cylinder.
cap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2006, 07:09 PM   #7
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap
Zapp,

You may recall that I did this conversion on my XR.

I assume that you have replaced your stator? .
errr.... that's a negative, sir. not replaced stator. only running dualbeam head, two tail/brake [led's], and horn. no estart no turnsignals. I downloaded BD's "plain jane" instructions and gives pretty good guidance on the electrical hookups, but we're stumped on the battery. they re-badge a ni-cad 1amp tiny batt that mounts where the stocker CDI unit sits, moving it over a bit to to make room... but they couldn't tell me which battery part num or whatever to order.

also, i discovered to my surprise that the [shhhh... bootleg] copy of XR650R manual i have is internationalized, and the wiring diagrams are for a [Japanese? asian?] model that has turn signals etc on it stock from the plant. so I'm puzzled as to what to use for the diagram.

I will call trickdual in the A.M. Was in the air much of today taking a weekend trip

thank you [ALL] for the continuing advice. I thought this would be easy!
z
Old 01-19-2006, 07:59 PM   #8
cap
Vice of Reason

Quote:
errr.... that's a negative, sir. not replaced stator. only running dualbeam head, two tail/brake [led's], and horn.
With a dual-beam, you will exceed the capacity of the OEM stator, which is about 35 watts. It sounds like the only reason you need a new DC voltage regulator is that you have gone to LED's, which won't work with the stock AC setup.

Here's the deal: I think you need to rewind your stator. That will give you about 125 watts. The new DC voltage regulator should be able to handle about 150 watts, so you'll be fine. You don't need a battery -- just a capacitor. But if you want one, just get one that is about 14 volts.

Here is the North American wiring diagram for the XR650R: Do you see the wire colored "G"? That is the chassis ground. You need to float the -12vDC ground (isolate it from the frame, and the wire "G"). So, that means that you will have to snip the wiring harness where it now goes to the front and rear lights, and run your own pair of wires to those lights.

cap screwed with this post 01-19-2006 at 08:04 PM
Old 01-22-2006, 05:55 AM   #9
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Quote:
Originally Posted by cap
Here is the North American wiring diagram for the XR650R: Do you see the wire colored "G"? That is the chassis ground. You need to float the -12vDC ground (isolate it from the frame, and the wire "G"). So, that means that you will have to snip the wiring harness where it now goes to the front and rear lights, and run your own pair of wires to those lights.
CAP, many thanks for the right diagram. I'm out of town and have spotty inet access so slow responding. I was confused with all those diagrams in the shop manual, and it was making me mad that we did not import here the electrified models!!
You mention adding a capacitor inline: if you do that, where does he go, and any idea what the part is? Radio shack????

No estart, I just thought the battery would be a good ideea. why????????
I have had dual-beam for awhile and LED tail, but I did note that right after putting the LED on the dualsport tail/brake thing, that the stocker taillight went dead [I guess burned out.... haven't checked. any idea if that was sheer coincidence? But the headlight seems to work like it should, just 'variable' before doing all these changes.

anyone know what type/model the battery in the Electrex headlight kit is?

z
Old 01-22-2006, 08:48 AM   #10
cap
Vice of Reason

Quote:
You mention adding a capacitor inline: if you do that, where does he go, and any idea what the part is?
You can buy everything you need for DC conversions from Trail Tech.

They have batteries, too. And instructions for how to wire everything. For mounting examples, take a look at the thread I posted earlier.
Old 01-22-2006, 02:30 PM   #11
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:

anyone know what type/model the battery in the Electrex headlight kit is?

z
It's had all the markings removed, but it's the same as this battery. $9.00.

Hair of the dog....
Old 01-23-2006, 05:10 AM   #12
Zapp22 OP
ZAPP - Tejas

Cap, Gaspipe

perfecto!
The Trailtech info is a treasure trove, and the battery page has everything I need at great prices.

You guys have helped more than you know.
zapp
Old 01-24-2006, 10:12 AM   #13
gaspipe
Wandering Soul

Quote:
You guys have helped more than you know.
zapp

Hair of the dog....
Old 01-25-2006, 08:43 PM   #14
Ibarra
Viva Mexico !

Oddometer: 327
Zapp,
I must have been sleeping when you posted this.. Oops

Anyway better way late than never so here ya go...

The kit I got from Baja Designs had the battery mounted on to an aluminum plate behind the headlight assy, along with everything else...

A bit too much going on for my taste, weight was also an issue.
So I decided to relocate both the battery and the rectifier under the seat like this:

Hope this helps a bit..

www.mimsmx.com

To travel is to let life happen
Peace, love and open trails...
Ibarra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 09:45 PM   #15
wickedsprint
Banned

Oddometer: 2,386
No battery required I run everything off the AC power *shrugs*
wickedsprint is offline   Reply With Quote