Password
Register Inmates Photos Site Rules Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Old 12-07-2004, 03:27 PM   #196
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
Originally Posted by meat popsicle
That's what I was lookin for people: 30 hours is kinda short. But to the packing seller who quoted it - it must sound like pure gold!

So then, what is the usual? The repacking kits for the Supercrapp IDS2 are only about 25 bones so no biggie - just resurrecting the GP thread
Well... in the CsKTMGPT spirit of things... I'll pull mine...

Sometime in March... M-kay?
Old 12-07-2004, 03:31 PM   #197
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Oddometer: 14,132
Quote:
Originally Posted by creeper
Well... in the CsKTMGPT spirit of things...
nah, don't bother. does it sound different at'tall?

Its not so much staying alive; its staying human that counts.
meat popsicle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 03:50 PM   #198
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
Hey, I have been playing nice! I didn't even post in the: "Bad years for BMW 650 Dakar?" thread, now did I???

That should be good for something like 50 million good karma points? Right? RIGHT?

Hurumph. I gotta go get ready for work.

Bad years for BMW 650 Dakar, my a$#?
Old 12-07-2004, 04:05 PM   #199
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack
Hey, I have been playing nice! I didn't even post in the: "Bad years for BMW 650 Dakar?" thread, now did I???

That should be good for something like 50 million good karma points? Right? RIGHT?

Hurumph. I gotta go get ready for work.

Bad years for BMW 650 Dakar, my a$#?
That was a big target now wasn't it? I noticed creeper didn't post either. and I couldn't find Creeper's old BMW rant to post for him...

Old 12-07-2004, 04:15 PM   #200
creeper OP
Still alive...

Oddometer: 10,718
Quote:
That was a big target now wasn't it? I noticed creeper didn't post either. and I couldn't find Creeper's old BMW rant to post for him...
God I wish I could find that thing... it was truly
Even I felt bad after I wrote it.

Seeings as how it was Rad that "prompted" me to do it... maybe he should find it.
Old 12-07-2004, 04:17 PM   #201
Mack
Gone, but never forgotten. RIP, Mack...

Oddometer: 3,797
KTM Developing V-6 Street Bike
By Dirck Edge, Motorcycle Daily

In an interview published in Cycle News this week, the head of Austrian manufacturer KTM stated that development of a V-6 engine for street bike use is already underway. Although undoubtedly several years off, a production street machine with a V-6 engine would be unique in the market place. According to the interview, this is precisely why KTM is doing it.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/03december04_ktm.htm

Ramsey Gives KTM 250F First North American Win
By Dirck Edge, Motorcycle Daily

The bike that won the World championship in Europe last year for KTM made its debut in North America last evening with a victory in the 125 class at the Toronto Supercross event. Piloting the KTM 250 four-stroke machine was Nathan Ramsey, who will race the same bike in the 125cc Western Region AMA Supercross series beginning at Anaheim, California next month.

Rumored to be extremely powerful for the class, and one reason why Mike Alessi chose KTM, the production version should be available here in the United States next year.

http://www.motorcycledaily.com/05december04_ktm.htm

Old 12-07-2004, 04:17 PM   #202
ChrisC
Molon Labe

Oddometer: 6,306
Quote:
Okay then,

what's the deal on packing our muffs?

Personally I think that evey 30 hours could get a bit tiring...

Experience on this peoples?
Any more comments on "Muff Packing" Meat, we're gonna have to send you to JoMomma for re-education...

CC
ChrisC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 04:27 PM   #203
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisC
Any more comments on "Muff Packing" Meat, we're gonna have to send you to JoMomma for re-education...

CC
Ahem, I am TRYING to be "subtle" here Chris...

been there... some good stuff but monsterously overwhealmed by the heaps of festering dung spewed forth every second - clogging up this server

Old 12-07-2004, 04:30 PM   #204
meat popsicle
Ignostic

My promised tip thread for online buying has started here:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=61826

see creeper, i do link sometimes...

Old 12-07-2004, 08:39 PM   #205
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
New 640 Rider

I just took delivery of FatHeadFred's 03 640 Adventure. I am a 50+ rider converting from pure single track to adventure riding. In the last few years I have logged 6to8M miles on single track per year (mostly on WR250 and 450 machines), but due to the conversion of single track to double track by 4wheelers and closures I decided to go adventure and am finding the exploration as intoxicating as finding new trails. My principal reason for purchasing the bike was for a planned trip next summer -- the Mexico to Canada route following the Continental Divide. I tell all this to give my background and intended use of the bike to assist in seeking advice on the following questions (Unfortunately I have to admit I haven't even ridden the bike yet due to a leaky fork seal and bad weather here -- but want to kick start my learning curve):

1. Tires - Until spring arrives I will ride 50/50 street/dirt (after all don't want to trailer the bike to ride it). What recommendations do you guys have? Due to health resons of a family member I have to limit my riding at present to about 3 or 4 hours.

2. Carb - Dev (FatHeadFred) recommends purchasing a Kehien carb. These sure worked good on my WR's but is it really necessary?

3. Pipe - I took delivery of a Supertrapp ISDE 2 pipe with the bike. What kind of can of worms do I open by installing that. (Jetting, noise, etc.)

4. Scotts Damper - Any need to install. When I rode RMX's they were a must, my Yamaha's were so stable I never used them (Well except in the winter riding sand and whoops). Still have the damper - Should I invest in a mount?

5. Air Box - Has a baffle installed now. Under what conditions should this be removed. All my dirt bikes needed removal. I should also state I ride from about 6,000 to 11,500 ft in elevation. Of course in the winter it is the lower elevations and the colder temps make for a need for richer jetting.

6. The bike has been geared down one tooth on the countershaft. I have found that gearing down is a bike and rider specific item -- but for example I actually geared my WR450 up one tooth on the rear and rode single track at high elevation. If I had geared it down all I would have accomplished would have been to wear out tires sooner. The higher gearing allowed me to carry lower gears longer on the trail and made for smoother riding.

Thanks in advance for any recommendations you might have.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 08:49 PM   #206
Ninjak
Sasquatch

Oddometer: 2,783
I'm no expert but the Metzeler Karoo tires worked well for me. Great grip even on single-track trails and better street traction than a tire that knobby has any right to.

My '02 AdvR never indicated to me that it needed a steering damper. It would go 70mph on gravel roads without doing anything scary.

Religion outa be like sex, legal as long as no money changes hands. - swjohnsey
Ninjak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2004, 09:03 PM   #207
rapiti
IOR Veteran

Oddometer: 1,896
Quote:
Originally Posted by empedrado
I just took delivery of FatHeadFred's 03 640 Adventure. I am a 50+ rider converting from pure single track to adventure riding. In the last few years I have logged 6to8M miles on single track per year (mostly on WR250 and 450 machines), but due to the conversion of single track to double track by 4wheelers and closures I decided to go adventure and am finding the exploration as intoxicating as finding new trails. My principal reason for purchasing the bike was for a planned trip next summer -- the Mexico to Canada route following the Continental Divide. I tell all this to give my background and intended use of the bike to assist in seeking advice on the following questions (Unfortunately I have to admit I haven't even ridden the bike yet due to a leaky fork seal and bad weather here -- but want to kick start my learning curve):
Congratulations on the mothership!

Quote:
1. Tires - Until spring arrives I will ride 50/50 street/dirt (after all don't want to trailer the bike to ride it). What recommendations do you guys have? Due to health resons of a family member I have to limit my riding at present to about 3 or 4 hours.
For knobbies, Pirelli MT-21s are OK, and not too spendy. Michelin Deserts are great & spendy. Two sets of wheels for home use, and having tires waiting at predetermined shops along the way seems to work on long trips. The bike can do almost anything - the tires can't, if you get my meaning. The OEM Metzelers are ok, but skaty on gravel. Great in rain on pavement, though!

Quote:
2. Carb - Dev (FatHeadFred) recommends purchasing a Kehien carb. These sure worked good on my WR's but is it really necessary?
Apparently great for wheelies, G-outs, and burning up rear tires even faster. With the changes in elevation you have in mind, I would recommend spending some time dialing in your BST.

Quote:
3. Pipe - I took delivery of a Supertrapp ISDE 2 pipe with the bike. What kind of can of worms do I open by installing that. (Jetting, noise, etc.)
Dunno. Probably lighter.

Quote:
4. Scotts Damper - Any need to install. When I rode RMX's they were a must, my Yamaha's were so stable I never used them (Well except in the winter riding sand and whoops). Still have the damper - Should I invest in a mount?
That could be your friend in transitional situations, like sand at high speed. If I had the damper lying around, I would weld on a tower.

Quote:
5. Air Box - Has a baffle installed now. Under what conditions should this be removed. All my dirt bikes needed removal. I should also state I ride from about 6,000 to 11,500 ft in elevation. Of course in the winter it is the lower elevations and the colder temps make for a need for richer jetting.
By baffle, do you mean the snorkel (on top)? Leave that, and buy or fab a new side cover with an appropriately sized hole. Mine is oval, KTM's is rectangular.

Quote:
6. The bike has been geared down one tooth on the countershaft. I have found that gearing down is a bike and rider specific item -- but for example I actually geared my WR450 up one tooth on the rear and rode single track at high elevation. If I had geared it down all I would have accomplished would have been to wear out tires sooner. The higher gearing allowed me to carry lower gears longer on the trail and made for smoother riding.
I have a 15-16-17 x 40 combo. 17 is freeway style, about like a stock DR 650. 15 can do trails, but not trials. 16 is in between. I may do 42 on back next time, but I was doing some street, and wanted an easy 85-90.

Quote:
Thanks in advance for any recommendations you might have.
It sounds like you have a good idea of what you want. I bought mine for the same reasons, and haven't taken the big one yet, but I scheme regularly. Again, congratulations on one of the most versatile bikes.
Old 12-07-2004, 09:03 PM   #208
meat popsicle
Ignostic

Quote:
Congrats on the purchase empedrado! They are nice bikes. Before I forget, look in the Ride Reports - some fellas did the Canada to Mexico trail and should have lots of info and tips for you. Learning for you shouldn't be too hard as you are a vet. Just get used to the weight (lots over the front wheel) and you should be fine. More pros around here that can do better than I can on that.

Quote:
There are plenty of tire threads around here (but the search engine sucks so... ). There will be fellas saying what they like and what they don't. Most are very level headed about it and will give you a good steer. I have only used the stock Metzeler Saharas and they do not do well in deep dirt/sand or mud I hear...

Quote:
Again, depends on what you do. The stock carb (BST be praised... ) is good enough for most things and a bit more flexible for altitude. Better fuel effeciency too I hear. The FCR () is good for power, snappier I think. I don't know much about them - many here do. I do know that there are a few sizes of em and bigger ain't necessarily better for adventure touring.

Quote:
There is a thread on this; it ain't hard (I just finished). Here:
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=33586
I and a few others here did it; we can help no problem.
We are workin on the noise angle; the quiet core is sufficient for most; i am stuck with the race core and it doesn't "seem" too loud. we'll see...

Quote:
Why not if you own the expensive part. The best solution is the under bar mount (integraded bar risers) from KTM Sommer or Loaded here in the asylum is going to make some soon (cheaper?). The risers are useful too. Might think about larger footpegs too. KTM makes some for the bike.

Quote:
Baffle? You mean the thing on top? That is called a snorkle around here. But if there is an internal baffle then I don't know what it is. The new pipe will require a mod to get more air thru - but the size is important - not too much now. Lots of stuff around (including the IDS2 thread I linked). Jetting matches the setup, some of that in the thread too.

Quote:
I haven't done this and cant comment - others will. I have heard that some change the tooth counts for more tarmac vs. off road. That's probably enough and someone else probably wrote all this while I was cookin dinner!

More later?

Old 12-08-2004, 10:08 AM   #209
dirtrider
Dusty Adventurer

Oddometer: 3,309
I can't believe you bought FHF's bike. I rode with him in Colorado and he trashed that thing!

Just kidding. Dev took good care of the bike and is an excellent rider. We took him some places that I thought he'd have trouble, but he soldiered through with out one single problem.

Congrats on the new bike. If you do ride the Continental trail, let me know. The north end starts practically in my back yard.
2001 KTM 640 LC4 Sold
I only like two kinds of women, foreign and domestic
dirtrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2004, 10:30 AM   #210
empedrado
Gnarly Adventurer

Oddometer: 291
Congrats on the new bike. If you do ride the Continental trail, let me know. The north end starts practically in my back yard.[/QUOTE]
Looking forward to riding that trail. My plan is to ride the NM part in the spring, before the monsoons and thus the mud that others said made NM a hard part of the ride and then do the remainder in the summer. I happen to have a cabin in So Colo right on the route. NM is actually quite a bit of the mileage so I figure I do NM over a 4 day weekend and the remainder over a week plus two weekends.
empedrado is offline   Reply With Quote